Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Why exactly is he transferring again?

He's not going to start is probably the actual reason, but to get away from Brian Kelly is what I'm going to go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I remember Malik Zaire clowning Texas when they went to Notre Dame. Hell yeah I want him.

Why exactly is he transferring again?

If I remember correctly, he announced his decision to transfer before Kizer entered the draft, so he might have thought he'd be benched next season at ND.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Better lock him down before he shits all over UGA, imo

quote:

Appalachian State signed head coach Scott Satterfield to a contract extension through the 2021 season.

The 44-year old coach has built a powerhouse in the Sun Belt, going 27-5 over his last 32 games. In 2016, Appalachian State shared the conference championship with Arkansas State. "Scott Satterfield continues to take App State football to new heights," Director of Athletics Doug Gillin said. "In four seasons at App State, he has orchestrated one of the most successful transitions to FBS football and continues to build App State football for long-term sustainable success on a national level." Before being hired by the Mountaineers, Satterfield worked with wide receiver T.Y. Hilton as offensive coordinator at FIU under former HC Mario Cristobal.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It's so loving stupid that App State is our first game (or scheduled at all!) next season. Who the hell though that was a great plan (fire Greg mcgarity)

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

KKKLIP ART posted:

It's so loving stupid that App State is our first game (or scheduled at all!) next season. Who the hell though that was a great plan (fire Greg mcgarity)

UGA losing to App. State to start the season would be glorious. You bulldog fans need to think of every other college football fan before being so greedy. :colbert:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/866017810702643201

:unsmith:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mr. World posted:

UGA losing to App. State to start the season would be glorious. You bulldog fans need to think of every other college football fan before being so greedy. :colbert:

I fully expect to take that L just because I don't trust our o-line or Jim chaney to win it for us.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Stoked he'll be back on the field, not looking forward to seeing him in the Civil War though.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

KKKLIP ART posted:

I fully expect to take that L just because I don't trust our o-line or Jim chaney to win it for us.

I hope it happens after Richt crushed them last year.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Zaire should go to Harvard. He's only got 1 more year left anyway right? Get a real masters from an ivy league dude, he ain't making the league with how he played anyway.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Zaire should go to Harvard. He's only got 1 more year left anyway right? Get a real masters from an ivy league dude, he ain't making the league with how he played anyway.

UGA poached a kicker from one of the Ivys to be a walk-on and I was really confused because I know Ivys dont do traditional scholarships, but get your degree from an Ivy kicker dude.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A bunch of Zippy The Roo costumes have gone missing from Akron

I'm not saying this was Dogg's doing, but i'm not not saying it.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

SBNation has a set of articles on what would fix College Football

The Olympic model of amateurism sounds really interesting at the least.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maxwells Demon posted:

Yeah, that would probably, to me, be a good thing to implement.

But of course, you'd have endless pearl clutching over it.

The promotion/relegation idea is interesting, but I don't like him including Div II and III in it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Maxwells Demon posted:

The Olympic model of amateurism would codify what happens under the table for a lot of the top players. Boosters would pay players to attend certain schools under the guise of endorsements and "autographs". He argues that the top schools get the top players anyway, but I argue that parity has significantly increased since the 50's and 60's when there weren't such things as recruiting limits and benefits oversights, and allowing uncontrolled booster influence would return to that sort of concentration of talents.

OTOH, it would allow random schools to put together a big bit of cash to land a top recruiting class such as Ole Miss a few years back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Parity in college sports is an oxymoron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The notion that parity is somehow more important than making sure players are treated fairly is insane to me

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I mean, as an Oregon fan, I definitely see the effect of a small set of boosters (say, just Phil Knight) on bringing a non-traditional power up into the national conversation for a few years.

SMU fans might see that as well, or Ole Miss fans. This would just codify it, and we'd see if year-in, year-out Texas and Michigan et al would be willing to put in the cash to suppress upstart powers.

But how can you say that there is parity when Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State have already been to multiple playoffs in the 3 years the playoffs have existed?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Haven't read yet but a few weeks ago on his podcast he had an interesting take on relegation: use it only among the G5 to fill a sixth power conference.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Hoo boy, bringing back the video game would be GREAT

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, FSU/UF games always being 72-69 shootouts sounds kind of fun.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

The notion that parity is somehow more important than making sure players are treated fairly is insane to me

College football has 3 things going for it that make it interesting:

1. major programs with no margin of error (because you can be a fan with a t-shirt)
2. upsets, upsets, upsets
3. weird, crazy offenses

The NCAA has more parity now than it ever has before which means more upsets and a tighter margin of error. G5 teams can beat P5 teams and FCS teams can sometimes as well.

Allowing boosters in, officially, would give a non-traditional with some rich boosters an easier path to the Phil Knight effect, but you'll lose out on the "middle" of the conferences. One or two programs would climb to the top while the rest would be forced down to the bottom. Less upsets = less interest = NCAA not as much fun anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "they get a free education" guys. I just feel that his assertion that Olympic amateurism won't change much is not accurate. It would lead to drastic changes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kayakyakr posted:

College football has 3 things going for it that make it interesting:

1. major programs with no margin of error (because you can be a fan with a t-shirt)
2. upsets, upsets, upsets
3. weird, crazy offenses

The NCAA has more parity now than it ever has before which means more upsets and a tighter margin of error. G5 teams can beat P5 teams and FCS teams can sometimes as well.

Allowing boosters in, officially, would give a non-traditional with some rich boosters an easier path to the Phil Knight effect, but you'll lose out on the "middle" of the conferences. One or two programs would climb to the top while the rest would be forced down to the bottom. Less upsets = less interest = NCAA not as much fun anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "they get a free education" guys. I just feel that his assertion that Olympic amateurism won't change much is not accurate. It would lead to drastic changes.

I don't see how this would end the possibility of upsets, considering this is currently the status quo. The only difference would what would attract the students, money, or the potential to be on a winning team.

Take the Big 10 for example. Right now you have Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin as the four teams dominating everyone else. What would change if one of those teams fell off because say Rutgers got lucky with some big booster with deep pockets.

Not much, really. You still have four really dominant teams and 10 teams of varying strength.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

iospace posted:

I don't see how this would end the possibility of upsets, considering this is currently the status quo. The only difference would what would attract the students, money, or the potential to be on a winning team.

Take the Big 10 for example. Right now you have Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin as the four teams dominating everyone else. What would change if one of those teams fell off because say Rutgers got lucky with some big booster with deep pockets.

Not much, really. You still have four really dominant teams and 10 teams of varying strength.

It would probably be the end of Michigan State (which had been good). And the Big Ten is a really bad example because everyone else sucks already. The Big Ten has no middle class to lose.

The ACC might be a better example. Virginia Tech was a major beneficiary of the changes that ended the wild west of recruiting. Without Alabama and the other historical programs in the area soaking up all the recruits and with a decent coach, they became a fixture. Would they keep that in a world where money dominated recruiting? How about the middle of that conference? Would NC State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Pitt stay middling, able to upset FSU/Clemson any given year?

Someone's going to have to go a lot further to convince me that letting boosters in, officially, wouldn't lead to further concentration of talent among urban schools or those with a few rich boosters.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I listen to a lot of Connelly's stuff and I'm not sure I was expecting his voice yo go with that face

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

the mean lunch lady posted:

Hoo boy, bringing back the video game would be GREAT

Thats all I care about

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Haven't read yet but a few weeks ago on his podcast he had an interesting take on relegation: use it only among the G5 to fill a sixth power conference.
This is sort of awkward because it means those schools have a harder time maintaining regional rivalries, and travel expenses will vary year to year based on who's promoted. If Hawaii gets out of the dumpster one year, suddenly the Consolation Prize Conference becomes a much less lucrative thing for G5 schools.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Incoherence posted:

This is sort of awkward because it means those schools have a harder time maintaining regional rivalries, and travel expenses will vary year to year based on who's promoted. If Hawaii gets out of the dumpster one year, suddenly the Consolation Prize Conference becomes a much less lucrative thing for G5 schools.
It definitely is, and it was treated as the kind of idle chatter you need to fill a football podcast in April, but it strikes me as a way more plausible idea oriented around a goal that could offer an actual benefit to some of the participants, as opposed to the "somehow get Vandy to voluntarily give up their SEC lucre because soccer does it" version that's always bandied around. Maybe you reserve a slot in each superconference team's schedule for a rival from their "home" conference, maybe people decide it's kinda dumb to fly hundreds of kids across an ocean to play against a team that's almost never relevant?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

You'd probably see Nebraska and Iowa rise, because they have the financial means to overcome the geographic and demographic difficulties they have when recruiting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

You'd probably see Nebraska and Iowa rise, because they have the financial means to overcome the geographic and demographic difficulties they have when recruiting.

I picked Rutgers because they're a poo poo team with probably a shithead deep pocketed booster who is willing to dump tons of money into it because they feel they're the red headed step child of the big ten and RED HEADS NEED LOVE DAMMIT.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I actually agree with the sentiment that promotion and relegation in American sports could basically only work with college football and that it would enhance the overall product.

Really even though it's blatantly idealistic I agree with large swaths of his overall points.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

iospace posted:

I picked Rutgers because they're a poo poo team with probably a shithead deep pocketed booster who is willing to dump tons of money into it because they feel they're the red headed step child of the big ten and RED HEADS NEED LOVE DAMMIT.

RutgersAl doesn't have that much money, I assume.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

RutgersAl doesn't have that much money, I assume.

Yearly cost in-state is over 14k. Double that for out of state.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I haven't posted in a while so I just want to say

Auburn fans can suck my dick

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Psht how much is an ivy league graduate degree worth really

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

I haven't posted in a while so I just want to say

Auburn fans can suck my dick

Same, but replace Auburn with UF and also Miami.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

whiteyfats posted:

Same, but replace Auburn with UF and also Miami.

Jameis is a rapist and Jimbo owns a McMansion and probably has camo bedsheets with Taylor Jacobs' cumstains on them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/867071771278757889

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Jameis is a rapist and Jimbo owns a McMansion and probably has camo bedsheets with Taylor Jacobs' cumstains on them.

Tough, but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Harbaugh for coach-commissioner of college football.

• Locked thread