Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

On the topic of plot devices that reduced Voyager's trip home, didn't Q also give them a little nudge as thanks for saving the Continuum from civil war / helping Q get married / taking care of his brat son?

No, he offers it as a bribe during the Q suicide episode, all they get from the civil war one is not being blown up by a thousand super novae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Q gives them some tips for getting home faster as payment for babysitting his son.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MikeJF posted:

Q gives them some tips for getting home faster as payment for babysitting his son.

Q offers to shave 20 years off their trip if Janeway pretends to be his wife as they have a dinner party for Q's boss

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

vermin posted:

Q offers to shave 20 years off their trip if Janeway pretends to be his wife as they have a dinner party for Q's boss

Voyager being Voyager I can't tell if this is real or something from one of those Season 8 twitter parodies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager should have had a "Time to Earth" countdown displayed right above the main viewscreen, with the entire crew constantly working on ways to reduce that time. You could open every episode with an updated countdown, and we could see the progress (and sometimes setbacks) happen right away. Keeps the show focused, leads to less "there's coffee in that nebula" moments.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The following takes place between star date 2142.5 to 2142.6. Coffee nebulae occur, in real time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Apropos nothing, I've been on a TNG rewatch for the first time in like 15 years.

Hot take: Season 1 of TNG is not nearly as bad as we always say. It's funny, because I remembered it in a pretty awful light too, but coming back at it now I have a new appreciation for it. Sure, there are a few episodes that stick out as just plain bad at best, embarrassing/regressive at worst (Code of Honor, The Last Outpost, etc.) but there are some legit good episodes in there once the cast starts to hit their stride a little bit. Season 1 of TNG feels very much like a continuation of TOS, with stories that feel very classically Star Trekkish.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's more that it doesn't become 'the TNG everyone remembers' until about a third of the way into its third series? - then you get stuff like Romulan defector episode, Enterprise-C episode, Klingon politics episode (...just me?), Sarek episode and, of course, Locutus episode that sort of sets up the fourth series with a wet fart of an anticlimax but oh well!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the most recent novels Starfleet figures out how to get Slipstream working properly and a lot of ships have that now.

The fact that they get it "working" even temporarily but swear it off because maybe something bad could happen because future Harry said so is the biggest crime this show made.

Like, they have the tech, it works in small doses (heck, the Delta Flyer makes it all the way back in the original timeline) so just keep iterating on it every so often.

But no, we have to throw it all away because we're too chickenshit to work on this fabulous tech that has a track record of significantly speeding up their travel home.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

Apropos nothing, I've been on a TNG rewatch for the first time in like 15 years.

Hot take: Season 1 of TNG is not nearly as bad as we always say. It's funny, because I remembered it in a pretty awful light too, but coming back at it now I have a new appreciation for it. Sure, there are a few episodes that stick out as just plain bad at best, embarrassing/regressive at worst (Code of Honor, The Last Outpost, etc.) but there are some legit good episodes in there once the cast starts to hit their stride a little bit. Season 1 of TNG feels very much like a continuation of TOS, with stories that feel very classically Star Trekkish.

It feels like a continuation of TOS season 3. They definitely don't hit the feel that I associate with TNG till like Measure of a Man or maybe Where Silence Has Lease at the earliest, and not consistently till s3, but while the stuff before that has strong TOS influences, it doesn't draw on what was actually good about TOS so much as it does the campy style, ridiculous costuming, and general randomness of tone. To some extent that's excusable since the show was still creating its identity but while it's less boring than say season 7, or any season of Voyager or Enterprise, it's still kind of offputting. As Takei said about The Naked Now, the similarity to TOS rather than making the show feel familiar has the effect of watching kids play dress-up with their parents' clothes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also it blows my mind a little to consider that we are, today, farther removed from the series finale of TNG, than TNG at its premiere was removed from the last episode of TOS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drone posted:

Also it blows my mind a little to consider that we are, today, farther removed from the series finale of TNG, than TNG at its premiere was removed from the last episode of TOS.

Pretty much. Kind of puts the bizarre look & feel of that Discovery trailer in perspective.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Voyager should have had a "Time to Earth" countdown displayed right above the main viewscreen, with the entire crew constantly working on ways to reduce that time. You could open every episode with an updated countdown, and we could see the progress (and sometimes setbacks) happen right away. Keeps the show focused, leads to less "there's coffee in that nebula" moments.

Eh, Coffee Nebula was a terrible episode, but the basic idea that the ship can't just beeline toward Earth and has to spend a lot of its time restocking supplies, dealing with local threats and crises, and trying to find that magic bullet that will get them home faster is sound. That's what Voyager's premise is, and it's what a lot more of the show should have been. Things get weirder when half the episodes are just "we're explorers, let's explore" and people hardly ever call Janeway on it. The "we've gone to [Planet] to trade for [Supplies] became mostly just a line of dialog at the beginning of episodes to explain why the Delta Flyer was getting hit by space magic or whatever. Such a waste. Then Braga took over and the ship basically stopped breaking down or ever running out of supplies and they kept getting incrementally closer to Earth (to the point that they had communications with Star Fleet again), and it got even dumber. In the Equinox episodes, they had to explain that that ship used a different, evil Transwarp tech just to explain how Voyager hadn't passed them when they'd already shaved like 20 years off their trip.

Thwomp posted:

The fact that they get it "working" even temporarily but swear it off because maybe something bad could happen because future Harry said so is the biggest crime this show made.

Like, they have the tech, it works in small doses (heck, the Delta Flyer makes it all the way back in the original timeline) so just keep iterating on it every so often.

But no, we have to throw it all away because we're too chickenshit to work on this fabulous tech that has a track record of significantly speeding up their travel home.

I don't know, they tried using it, it almost got them all killed and they only survived thanks to time travel shenanigans. Knowing that a piece of technology has already killed you all once is a pretty good disincentive to not use it again. I also can't remember if their slipstream drive burnt out or not at the end of that test, but it definitely did the first time and they only got it working again the next season. Maybe that's part of why later Voyager seems so much less desperate to get home. They literally have the technology they need already, but have chosen not to use it because the risks are too high. Why they almost get themselves killed stealing borg transwarp tech multiple times when they already have a (mostly) functional Transwarp drive is another question. Maybe Janeway was holding out to have more bargaining chips when she got home so she'd get the admiral's chair (and not the brig).

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
edit: Nevermind. You can't fix Voyager.

vermin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 22, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

vermin posted:

edit: Nevermind. You can't fix Voyager.

I remember being quite mad we never got the crew beaming down to Earth in the final episode, like, that was it?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not even mention of the psychotherapy they all had to go through at the Starfleet Peaceful Garden Clinic.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Duckbag posted:

. IDK if the books acknowledge it or not, but the show seems to imply that Voyager successfully brings Transwarp tech back to the Federation.

The books are constantly acknowledging stuff you would never remember otherwise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

Not even mention of the psychotherapy they all had to go through at the Starfleet Peaceful Garden Clinic.

Which curiously has a Boothby there, too.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Which curiously has a Boothby there, too.

Folksy wisdom isn't something you can make in a replicator. You gotta stockpile it! They ran out of from-the-mouth-of-babes wisdom in the TNG era when Wesley stopped being useful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I remember being quite mad we never got the crew beaming down to Earth in the final episode, like, that was it?!

Yeah but it was so unexpected! :v:

I always figured someone in the writers' room was just endlessly congratulating himself on how clever it was to avoid doing anything resembling the logical climax of a "lost ship getting home" story. Too bad that would've been infinitely better than what we got.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Just popping in to say that I love the new thread title. I grew up being put to bed just before TNG came on and my mom would often jokingly call people ugly bags of mostly water. I remember when I was maybe 8 (and allowed to stay up later!) finally seeing the episode it came from and retroactively finding her dumb jokes all the funnier.

A story about my parents and Trek: when my parents were in college in the 70s they were big fans of TOS. They had never seen the show when it had originally aired; at that time most of the episodes were new to them during a broadcast their TV gave out so my dad ran down the street and bought a new TV on the spot so as to miss as little of the episode as possible.

Man, as revolutionary as YouTube was, I sometimes feel we forget what a game changer home video was.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I still think The Trial of Captain Janeway would have been the best possible ending. I'm a sucker for stories where adventurers have to explain their insane experiences to normal people and I think really digging into all the things that crew went through together could have been great and the perfect opportunity for a little earned emotion and real character development.

Make it a three parter. First part, they steal transwarp and go. Cliffhanger. Part two, they make it to Earth and the trial starts. Voyager crew show up as witnesses, but the prosecutor keeps challenging them on things and the judge seems hostile. Then, oh no, the Borg followed them! Cliffhanger. Part three, Voyager is pressed into service, Janeway makes a big speech, and the crew uses the skills and knowledge they got in the Delta Quadrant to save the day. They go back to Earth, the judge makes a big speech, charges are dropped, and Voyager's crew meets one last time before going their separate ways. The End.

Woulda been nice...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Duckbag posted:

Woulda been nice...

A long time ago in a faraway trek thread, somebody wrote an ending to Voyager where Starfleet is all "Oh Good, you're back. Sorry about the mess, the Federation just got through a devastating war. Yeah, earth was attacked and everything."

That is my Voyager ending

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Drone posted:

This was my reaction when I rewatched TNG a while ago too. Lots of S1 ranges from watchable to decent, with a handful of legitimately good episodes thrown in. I'll even go one step farther and say that S2 actually has more good episodes than bad and is pretty solid on the whole.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Any tribunal for Janeway would get about as far as the Equinox incident before the admiralty just throws up their hands and kicks her upstairs to avoid any further headaches.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Delsaber posted:

Any tribunal for Janeway would get about as far as the Equinox incident before the admiralty just throws up their hands and kicks her upstairs to avoid any further headaches.

She joins the ranks of esteemed crazy dangerous admirals who are probably planning something illegal

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Xibanya posted:

A story about my parents and Trek: when my parents were in college in the 70s they were big fans of TOS. They had never seen the show when it had originally aired; at that time most of the episodes were new to them during a broadcast their TV gave out so my dad ran down the street and bought a new TV on the spot so as to miss as little of the episode as possible.

My parents were newlyweds during the original run of TOS in the 60s. They really liked the show, but they only had a crappy black and white TV. So one week they splurged on a totally unnecessary night at a local hotel, just to watch Star Trek in color.

They don't even remember what episode it was, but they remember being completely gobsmacked at how colorful the uniforms were. :3:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
They banged too.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Hey guys remember that episode of DS9 where the wormhole farts out a 200 year old poet - the real "Emissary" - whose big idea is to implement a literal on-pain-of-death caste system? And how all the Bajorans are immediately on board with it? And then, even better, when he mysteriously disappears "to return to his time," everyone's just like, "LOL ok the Sisko it is!"

I just watched it recently, and man, I have never seen people of faith portrayed with such a high degree of both utter contempt and total accuracy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, nice there's a physical model.

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/866341973896044544

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Oh boy, can't wait for all those jokes about scifi tropes that get over-explained and dragged out for far longer than they might have been deemed funny.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Gnome de plume posted:

Oh boy, can't wait for all those jokes about scifi tropes that get over-explained and dragged out for far longer than they might have been deemed funny.

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Fasdar posted:

Hey guys remember that episode of DS9 where the wormhole farts out a 200 year old poet - the real "Emissary" - whose big idea is to implement a literal on-pain-of-death caste system? And how all the Bajorans are immediately on board with it? And then, even better, when he mysteriously disappears "to return to his time," everyone's just like, "LOL ok the Sisko it is!"

I just watched it recently, and man, I have never seen people of faith portrayed with such a high degree of both utter contempt and total accuracy.

Wasn't that the episode that convinced a bunch of the higher ups that Bajoran religious stuff needed to be avoided? I can sort of see why.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nebakenezzer posted:

A long time ago in a faraway trek thread, somebody wrote an ending to Voyager where Starfleet is all "Oh Good, you're back. Sorry about the mess, the Federation just got through a devastating war. Yeah, earth was attacked and everything."

That is my Voyager ending

Has anyone read Homecoming and The Farther Shore? They're the Voyager sequel novels. In the first one it tells how there was like a collective shrug from everyone in the Federation when Voyager got back because it was like 100 people who disappeared one time and everyone is like, 40 billion people are dead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Wasn't that the episode that convinced a bunch of the higher ups that Bajoran religious stuff needed to be avoided? I can sort of see why.
See I thought they were treating it pretty sensitively and respectfully in what I'd closely rewatched recently - like there's the ambiguity because the Prophets can be accurately described as either weird gods or as weird aliens. I GUESS NOT THOUGH

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone read Homecoming and The Farther Shore? They're the Voyager sequel novels. In the first one it tells how there was like a collective shrug from everyone in the Federation when Voyager got back because it was like 100 people who disappeared one time and everyone is like, 40 billion people are dead.

They made a Voyager continuation? What is it even about?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zurui posted:

They made a Voyager continuation? What is it even about?

Don't pretend you don't want to see how Seven and Chakotay work out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

WampaLord posted:

I think Ronald D Moore put the survivor count in every episode of BSG just to stick it to Voyager's fast and loose continuity

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gnome de plume posted:

Yeah I'm burned out on the Stargate franchise too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Yeah I'm burned out on the Stargate franchise too

:stare: