Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Playing my first game with the training wheels off and got an event to help shuttle a dying race off their planet and settle them on a new planet.

Their ideal new homeworld is smack dab in the middle of a hostile fallen empire who won't let me in their borders :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I am bad at this game :smith: Every other empire keeps leaping ahead of me in Tech, and I can't figure out how to not fall behind.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I am bad at this game :smith: Every other empire keeps leaping ahead of me in Tech, and I can't figure out how to not fall behind.

I'm not super great, but I prioritize minerals until I hit around ~40-60(edit: or 90 if there are unruly neighbors/targets), then focus on getting up research stations in space and food for more pops to fill research labs. Energy is dead last on the priority list, unless I'm in a deficit or it's like a beltharian reactor or a nexus for harmony. Military outposts are also good for nabbing systems that have a bunch of research points but no nearby planets.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 23, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

More planets. Even a poo poo rock with no improvements will have 4-5 tech dealies and basic labs are cheap as gently caress. I don't bother with research stations early game unless it's a 5+ one.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
stations have a fantastic return on investment, improvements are even better ofc but they're limited by population

e: if you are putting energy as your last priority that is probably a sign you're not building enough stations imo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They're great but better later when you're not mineral crunched. It's the early game where tech disparities gently caress you the most.

Not a one size soliton of course. If you made a race of sedentary slow breeders whelp

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

stations have a fantastic return on investment, improvements are even better ofc but they're limited by population

e: if you are putting energy as your last priority that is probably a sign you're not building enough stations imo

"Unless in a deficit" is the key part. Outside of private colony ships, I've never found energy to be worth hoarding. At most I like to hover around +8 to absorb a colony's impact.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're great but better later when you're not mineral crunched. It's the early game where tech disparities gently caress you the most.

Not a one size soliton of course. If you made a race of sedentary slow breeders whelp

early game a research station can be a huge boost to your tech output though, since it starts so low relative to even one +2 or better research station

I don't know that I'd go for a research as my first station or anything but I definitely wouldn't want to leave them too long

e:

TGLT posted:

"Unless in a deficit" is the key part. Outside of private colony ships, I've never found energy to be worth hoarding. At most I like to hover around +8 to absorb a colony.

if you're expanding fast enough the gap between +8 and a deficit is not very large is the thing

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 23, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VirtualStranger posted:

The "Prosperity" faction really bugs me. The flavor text seems to give the impression that they're some kind of business or economic development lobby, but they're not. They're actually a pacifist faction, and get really upset when you wage any kind of war.

That's nothing, I still get occasionally the "Freedom for Aliens"-faction. Their flavor text says they want aliens in the empire to be free, but they're filthy liars: Even with aliens having full rights, their happyness gets a whopping -20% penalty. It's like they actually want aliens to be enslaved, and not the other way around. :shepface:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Libluini posted:

That's nothing, I still get occasionally the "Freedom for Aliens"-faction. Their flavor text says they want aliens in the empire to be free, but they're filthy liars: Even with aliens having full rights, their happyness gets a whopping -20% penalty. It's like they actually want aliens to be enslaved, and not the other way around. :shepface:

That's just bugged in the 1.6 patch IIRC, or at least the 1.6.1 notes say they are aware of the issue.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Libluini posted:

I thought this was because I was settled on a planet with dolphins and it somehow considered pre-sentients being enslaved even though they don't do anything for me. And I have not yet gotten the Uplift technology to get rid of this malus.

I could have sworn I didn't have this malus until I settled that planet, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I guess I'll quote this post once I uplift them and say what happened.

Edit: Speaking of bugs, I'm still miffled that there is still one bug that has been since launch. If you got a ship with good sensor range, it manages to peek into a nearby system, has High Sensor range in it but doesn't visit it but when the system leaves sensor range I got Low knowledge about what's in there instead of Medium.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Iced Cocoa posted:

I thought this was because I was settled on a planet with dolphins and it somehow considered pre-sentients being enslaved even though they don't do anything for me. And I have not yet gotten the Uplift technology to get rid of this malus.

I could have sworn I didn't have this malus until I settled that planet, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I guess I'll quote this post once I uplift them and say what happened.

I had this happen in 1.6.0. I settled a planet with pre-sents early, ate the -20 all game until I could uplift them.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Had a brutal war between my Fanatical Purifiers and the Xenophobic Fallen Empire that attacked me. I Wiped out their fleets, threw down their fortresses, and occupied their homeworlds. Then let them all go. You know because I forgot to set war goals in the first month of the war and adding war goals later would be seriously rude as everyone in the galaxy has apparently agreed. My Fanatical Purifiers wouldn't want to be impolite. I can just see all the ruthless alien monsters letting all the prisoners go. "Looks like you're not getting purged cause we forgot to get our paperwork in order at the beginning of the exterminatus crusade!"

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The idea of war goals in this game sort of irks me. It's not like ck2 where everyone shares a dominant belief and killing other Christians is a no-no. The opponent is literally warmongering mollusks who want to turn your people into food.

Sure, conquering too much or doing evil things to conquered aliens should raise the hackles of some, but it's a tough galaxy out there. You shouldn't be limited in what you can take over by some arbitrary limit. Instead it should be dependent on what you do. If you take over planets and give everyone equal rights, there should be less internal and external rebellion/pressure than if you're executing everyone.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It is really gamey, but war score is a handy way of preventing Civ-style every-war-is-to-death. Unfortunately the combat system, based as it is on doomstack annihiliation, doesn't really back that up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

That's just bugged in the 1.6 patch IIRC, or at least the 1.6.1 notes say they are aware of the issue.

I know, I just wish they had already solved the issue.

On the other hand, having some smartasses be perpetually unhappy with life is probably the more realistic approach. :v:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm only on my second game (my space parrots got stomped by the unbidden appearing on my border and rampaging through my core systems while everyone else went 'that's a shame') but while I find the war goals alright when I set them myself, getting dragged into a war and getting "occupy X" when X is on the other side of the galaxy is bullshit.

Also i got 'missing probes' as a quest chain but there is no marker for the final one...or is it likely to be in enemy space which is why I haven't found it yet?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How long does it take for you guys to complete the precursor-chains now? After Utopia, I got my first completed chain, but since then, nothing. Mostly my chains go through 3-4 anomalies before just stopping. Once in a blue moon there may be 1-2 additional anomalies spawning, but generally after the first century nothing happens anymore.

Is this a bug or are precursor-chains just taking a lot longer now?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
oop, accidentally agreed to be a niceboy awakened's subject. It's thematically appropriate I guess? I really wanted to kill the gently caress out of some fanatical purifiers and now I'm in a million wars I don't want to be in, so oh well!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

How long does it take for you guys to complete the precursor-chains now? After Utopia, I got my first completed chain, but since then, nothing. Mostly my chains go through 3-4 anomalies before just stopping. Once in a blue moon there may be 1-2 additional anomalies spawning, but generally after the first century nothing happens anymore.

Is this a bug or are precursor-chains just taking a lot longer now?

I'm going to guess bugged. I"m not seeing any past the 2nd or 3rd event any more.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gitro posted:

oop, accidentally agreed to be a niceboy awakened's subject. It's thematically appropriate I guess? I really wanted to kill the gently caress out of some fanatical purifiers and now I'm in a million wars I don't want to be in, so oh well!

same thing happened to me!

a "Message recevied" popped up, with no additional info, when clicking the symbol it took me to a diplo screen with a (this far chill) fallen empire that just said please say yes or no (no threats or soemthing), obv I say yes and WALLA subject

I blamed "Improved Fallen Empires", but does this happen in unmodded games as well?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/867024633580716032

This is one of those good news / bad news. AI might actually treat the big galactic threat as a threat! Yay! But now I don't think I could play a crisis without thinking "Ugh, so broken, better wait for the patch."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:staredog:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to guess bugged. I"m not seeing any past the 2nd or 3rd event any more.

It's just bad luck. I've completed Precursors chains in no less than three games in 1.61.

Isn't he adorable :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If I move my capital to a ring world section can I reconstruct things like the Ether Drake Shrine and the Ministry of Culture there

Or would I just be unable to rebuild them anywhere if I tried to move them

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If I move my capital to a ring world section can I reconstruct things like the Ether Drake Shrine and the Ministry of Culture there

IIRC capitol only buildings will be demolished or demoted if you move it to another planet but they should be available to construct again on your new capitol.

Just save first before trying.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

IIRC capitol only buildings will be demolished or demoted if you move it to another planet but they should be available to construct again on your new capitol.

Just save first before trying.

Sounds good. On an unrelated note, I really wish the repaired Automated Dreadnaught was a little swoler. The Ether Drake hatchling is like three times as strong AND you get the Artificial Dragonscale tech. The Dreadnaught could use a little more luster.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ministry of Culture can be moved for sure, though incidentally it does not need to be. If you move your capital it will sit around on the old capital until you replace it. Same with the Citadel of Faith.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I'm having my most enjoyable play-through yet. I'm the brown empire, a Devouring Swarm named Grubbo. I haven't been able to declare wars at all because as soon as my neighbors meet me they recoil in horror and ally up. A few decades ago the Fanatic Purifiers to my right declared war with a 5k fleet to my 3k but do to how the hyperlanes are laid out I had almost a year to build nothing but 3 PD destroyers and got out of it with just being humiliated.

And then, and then my corner of the galaxy erupted into an orgy of violence:

The Myron's and Being Movement in highlighted in red declared first. My fleet was 4.5k at this time and in the middle of being upgraded to include crystal plating. The Myron had 4k and Being was around 5k. Fortunately my upgrades finished and I was able to smack my 5+k fleet into Myron before they could link up with their ally. I had no choice but to let the Movement capture one planet and bombard the second before I could build up enough to take them on. The battle was touch and go and the largest fleet action Grubbo had ever seen. Despite being ground down I won the engagement and Being retreated. Of course that's when the chumps who used to live in the orange area decided to get in on the action and I had to peace out with one annexed planet. Same story, planet occupied while building ships finally, attack and lose half my fleet but wipe out the enemy. the Hydari Concordant highlighted in yellow decide its the perfect time to attack.

I wasn't going to let a second minor get away easy, so the Hydari have taken two planets while i full annex whatever forgotten Empire used to border me :cheeky:. Now its their turn...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yadoppsi posted:

I'm having my most enjoyable play-through yet. I'm the brown empire, a Devouring Swarm named Grubbo. I haven't been able to declare wars at all because as soon as my neighbors meet me they recoil in horror and ally up.

Funny thing, I have the opposite problem thanks to ending up with three nice and one bad neighbour. All four of us immediately allied with each other and now the bad guys are too scared to declare war. Basically 75% of the galaxy is now at peace and I think since the precursor-chain bugged out again I'll just restart at this point. :shepface:

Next time I'll try to hold back on stuffing the galaxy with my good guys. Or at least not go with the start where the good guys all end up having advanced starts, steamrolling over the bad guy empires.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sounds good. On an unrelated note, I really wish the repaired Automated Dreadnaught was a little swoler. The Ether Drake hatchling is like three times as strong AND you get the Artificial Dragonscale tech. The Dreadnaught could use a little more luster.

The first fight I used him in he died. Useless thing.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Okay, does it make any sense Pops being eaten don't give you any food from processing them if they are on a tile with a deactivated building even though they give you that food when they are on a blank tile? I can't even put my new conquests into sectors because the sector AI wont deactivate any buildings even though I'd be on track to run out of energy in less than 3 years.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I found that enemies usually attacked dreadnaught first for some reason and mostly ignored other ships. When it survived, it worked as a rather nice damage sponge. So it might be useful in the first phase of the battle and later you can retreat it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It is a big target with cruiser AI so it ends up out front where it doesn't really have the EHP to survive late game.

I always kinda wish it had unique gun of some kind instead of taking best stuff from you. Just give it a bit more flavor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It would be kinda cool if you could reverse engineer it and build your own. Instead of getting a single super-ship you get access to a new type of ship to mass produce.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd really like it if it was possible to steal Fallen Empire style designs and reproduce them. Even if they kept the lower part restrictions to prevent player fleets from being crazy powerful, I love that ship art style, and would happily use only Battleships and Destroyer types if I got to use them. Though I guess there's probably a mod for that somewhere...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just got this game in the Humble Monthly bundle. Anywhere I should start from to learn how to play rather than the tutorial?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
The in game tutorial quests are fine. In general don't be afraid to just play and A) ask basic-sounding questions in this thread is something is puzzling you B) look at the stellaris wiki if you're curious about some nitty-gritty details C) restart, load saves, etc., just to experiment with how the game works.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When the game populates the galaxy, does it only use the remade civilizations, or will it make up brand new ones so I don't always find the same empires?
I've only found one and it was the Kingdom of Yondarim. Not to mention I decided to give them a trade agreement but took nothing in return because I have no clue how to get them to give me things in return.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It makes random ones, and it will also any you've made for yourself in the past unless you specifically tell it not to. It's always kinda funny to see one of your old power builds rampaging around the galaxy.

• Locked thread