Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What the gently caress mate? Of course they'd stop campaigning, this isn't some Machiavellian strategy.

Or is it? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh poo poo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Death toll rises to 22

Greater Manchester police says 22 people have died, and 59 injured.

Police: children have died

Hopkins confirms that children are among the 22 people confirmed to have died.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i really don't like this game the US and UK are playing where we try to out-fash the other

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Police: full statement

Chief constable Ian Hopkins confirms that 22 people have died and a further 59 have been injured.

This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see.

Families and many young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives. Our thoughts are with those 22 victims that we now know have died, the 59 people who have been injured and their loved ones. We continue to do all we can to support them. They are being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester.

This is a fast-moving investigation and we have significant resources deployed to both the investigation and the visible patrols that people will see across Greater Manchester as they wake up to news of the events last night. This will include armed officers as people would expect. More than 400 officers have been involved in the operation during the night.

To remind you, we were called at 10.33pm to reports of an explosion at the Manchester Arena at the conclusion of an Ariana Grande concert. More than 250 calls came in and emergency services were very quickly on scene. Emergency numbers have been established for anyone who is concerned for loved ones who may not have returned home: 0161 856 9400 or 0161 856 9900.

We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe that while the attack last night was conducted by one man, the priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.

The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device, which he detonated, causing this atrocity.

We would ask people not to speculate on his details or to share names. There is a complex and wide-ranging investigation under way.

Our priority is to work with the national counter-terrorist policing network and UK intelligence services to establish more details about the individual who carried out this attack.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Motherfucker.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

oh poo poo

Don't worry, Arianna Grande is safe.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
these people are such trash

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I cannot loving wait to get a telescreen installed in every room of my house.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Imagine trying to make an argument against increasingly intrusive surveillance after this.

"Oh so you support the bombing of children :smuggo:"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I went to sleep with this as a broken speaker.

This is loving horrible. An attack aimed at young women in particular.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gonzo McFee posted:

An attack aimed at young women in particular.

what

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that some horrible news to wake up to loving hell

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Thanks Ants posted:

Imagine trying to make an argument against increasingly intrusive surveillance after this.

"Oh so you support the bombing of children :smuggo:"

Fifteen years of increasingly intrusive surveillance didn't stop this from happening.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

im not sure i agree with the sentiment that it was targetting them in particularly, but ariana grande's audience is young women primarily

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

that some horrible news to wake up to loving hell

Absolutely I was in a really good mood last night with all the sunshine.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Fifteen years of increasingly intrusive surveillance didn't stop this from happening.

That's true, but you're going to have a hell of a job making that argument now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well Take That was meant to be at the arena on Thursday so if they had wanted they could've waited and aimed it at middle aged women.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well yeah because the loony left kept getting in the way!

Have we tried bombing people?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

this is bad for everyone

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BBC are now saying suspected suicide bomber, and that the election has been suspended until further notice

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Namtab posted:

BBC are now saying suspected suicide bomber, and that the election has been suspended until further notice

Lol, don't even need an election to get that thousand year Reich now

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kingturnip posted:

Don't be stupid.
The point is that, while it's terrible that there are people willing to commit suicide bombings and/or kill people to further an extremist cause, you're far more likely to die in any other number of ways well before your life expectancy would suggest.
This includes things like 'while taking a poo poo', 'slipping in the bath/shower' and 'run over by a car while crossing the road'.
I'm not living my life terrified of dying while pinching one out in the morning and I don't spend 20 minutes anxiously waiting for a perfectly clear road so that I can cross. Accept that these things could potentially happen but there's nothing you can do about them, and move on with your lovely life.

No the point is that it is intrinsically human to think differently about accidents, heart attacks or one of the many other things that are thousands of times more likely to kill you and someone blowing themselves up in a crowd of teenagers and children.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Namtab posted:

The election or election campaigning?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baron Corbyn posted:

The election or election campaigning?
The latter.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
That's much less alarming.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can we stop calling those Improvised explosive devices, just because they aren't launched by a regular army and have no serial number on them ?

Those aren't improvised, they're planned and built.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Grim:

Charlotte Campbell’s 15-year-old daughter, Olivia, is still missing after the concert. She spoke to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, where she began by saying when she last talked to her daughter:

She was at the concert. She’d just seen the support act and said she was having an amazing time, and thanking me for letting her go. She was with her friend, Adam. Adam was found about half an hour ago – he’s in hospital – but Olivia’s not been found yet.

I’m at home phoning everybody: hospitals, police, the centres that the children have been put in. Her dad’s in Manchester looking for her. I’ve got friends looking for her. I’ve got people I don’t even know looking for her, people messaging me, saying we’ve got her photo, looking for her, we’ll get in contact if we see her. And I’m just hearing nothing. Her phone’s dead.

Social media has been wonderful. I don’t know what I’ve have done without them, it’s made it so aware that she’s missing. There’s thousands of people who now know she’s missing, there’s people out looking for her I don’t know, and I can’t thank these people enough, giving their time up.

They’ve basically told me to stay put and wait for a phone call. I daren’t leave the house just in case she somehow gets home.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Namtab posted:

This is a new low for Lynton Crosby.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The police know who did it, and have confirmed they died at the scene.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Given who was singing It's not going to be a heavy biker scene. Just my speculation of course.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wish the Tories could have protected us from things like this. They're clearly weak on national security, and must go.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can we stop calling those Improvised explosive devices, just because they aren't launched by a regular army and have no serial number on them ?

Those aren't improvised, they're planned and built.
"Improvised" also means "cobbled together from suboptimal but readily available materials." Any bomb that uses acetone peroxide as its main explosive definitely qualifies - it's easy to prepare from substances that are easily obtained by civilians in just about any country around the world (so terrorists like it), but it is much more sensitive and dangerous to the user/maker than the kinds of explosives used in military devices, and has a tendency to detonate prematurely.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Pictures of the possible bombers twitter -

edit: Removed as the twitterer is a dick. Might be a possible bombers twitter, but gently caress linking that guy.

His twitter is now disabled. Worryingly hope his handle is not anything to do with West Yorkshire, as many of the towns and cities there are potential areas for disturbances.

ukle fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 23, 2017

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

We would he warn of what he was going to do? Seems more likely to be fake to me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The police have specifically asked people not to speculate on who it was so what do the media do?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kurtofan posted:

this is bad for everyone

Well that is true. What's bad for Jeremy Corbyn is infact, bad for everyone by extension.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that guy tweeted very obviously fake antifa posters created by /pol/ because he's dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The police have specifically asked people not to speculate on who it was so what do the media do?

Obligatory Charlie Brooker link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2o1V4lX_g4

• Locked thread