Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't it like a billion chapters in and we still don't know what a one piece does yet.
The entire series is based around a single journey. They haven't even found the one piece yet, whatever it is. The world of one piece is incredibly vast and detailed in a way very few pieces of fiction are. Despite the utterly outlandish nature of everything in it, it just seems to plausible despite the absurdity.

A dude named super eyepatch wolf did a good breakdown of the appeal of one piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sefal posted:

I made the mistake of starting my hero academia season 2. Should have waited until it was finished so I could binge it. Can't believe how fast it hooked me. Season 1 needed a few episodes for that.

shokugeki no souma hooked me hard and now i'm waiting for season 3

i cry every time

like how does a show about high school students who cook food that makes grown men and women get naked make you cry

Captain Invictus posted:

One piece is easily among the best manga out there and you're high af if you think otherwise, friend.

i mean i like one piece but sometimes it drags and i have to be high af to think it's a bad idea to not skip like half a dozen episodes

FirstAidKite posted:

Of course, if you don't like musou games, it isn't gonna change your mind. Most of what I know about one piece comes from that game though, I don't follow the anime or manga

on the other hand, if you do like musou games (or don't know whether or not you like them yet), it's pretty much the best one ever made imo and i'm a die-hard musou veteran

Captain Invictus posted:

A dude named super eyepatch wolf did a good breakdown of the appeal of one piece.

my breakdown of the appeal of one piece: it's dbz with pirates and one day in college i got really fuckin blazed w my buddies and decided who was who in our one piece crew. im the gunner

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The White Dragon posted:

i cry every time

like how does a show about high school students who cook food that makes grown men and women get naked make you cry

very carefully

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think hyrule warriors is better than one piece ultimate warriors 3, but that's just because hyrule warriors has sooo much fuckin content

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The White Dragon posted:

i mean i like one piece but sometimes it drags and i have to be high af to think it's a bad idea to not skip like half a dozen episodes

The White Dragon posted:

and i have to be high af to think it's a bad idea to not skip like half a dozen episodes

The White Dragon posted:

skip like half a dozen episodes
stop watching the anime, it's loving garbage full of filler and tries to adapt a 19-page chapter into an entire episode every week. The manga is the way to go. There's even a full color version of it if you don't like reading black and white comics/manga.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
^^^^ Counter point: The anime was really good up until right around the time skip where they changed how they made episodes but from the beginning to about Sabaody you have a really strong anime which also has one of my favorite dubs. Yes the art is inconsistent but I don't really care much.

I'd rather a One Piece game that played like Anarchy Reigns or N:A than a Warriors game. I'm aware that the difference is pretty minor but it would make enough difference to keep me playing since I loving love that stupid anime so loving much and it makes me cry all the time because friendship is so god drat beautiful and important.

But mostly I just want to rip through Enies Lobby like a bad rear end with fun gameplay and some actual platforming maybe.

Unlimited World Red did not scratch this itch, sadly. And the combat was actually worse than Musou.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 23, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Please don't watch the one piece anime. It was really good until they started to slow the pacing down to a screeching halt.

The White Dragon posted:

Now I have to check that out. Thought it was a dumb show about food.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

stop watching (...) anime, it's loving garbage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
me reading and listening to people talk about one piece : when the nazi guys face melts in raiders only it's been going on for an hour and it's still happening

like my wife loves anime and i've watched my share of it but this is fuckin bonkers

just the level of popularity it apparently has is insane to me

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Captain Invictus posted:

watch(...) anime, it's fu(...)n

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay so i just got to the part where the guy with the accent i can't place (the video linked by invictus about one piece)

tells me the heartbreaking backstory of a minor villain who dresses like a baby

and i guess my question is, is one piece like the japanese version of a Vertigo comic crossed with Ambush Bug (or, maybe much more accurately, Dave Sims' excellent Cerberus) or do people just wish it was and/or talk as if it is?

precision fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 23, 2017

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Oda might like women more than Dave Sim but that doesn't keep him from designing all his women as either strange Barbie dolls or horrific monstrosities.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes one turns into the other

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It seems he can't draw an attractive face to save his life so it's really weird that he keeps trying to make sexy women characters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I can't get past the Michael Jackson-meets-Pinocchio vibe the characters have going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SamuraiPaul posted:

Oda might like women more than Dave Sim

dave sim is fuckin nuts, but a sane person could not have written cerberus. it's not even so much that i think it's so good, especially given how long it's been since i read it, but it sure is... something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oda married an attractive lady and ever since then he has been removing ribs from his women and increasing their bust sizes

Also, it's cool how you can play cross-game with that 3DS arc system one piece vs fighter against the 3DS arc system dragonball vs fighter so you can have luffy fight against yamcha (idk if yamcha is playable but he'd better be)

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
The first volume of Cerebus turned me off so much that I never went further. My brother told me that it gets incredible at church and state but I just never wanted to go back.

I'll take Bone or Usagi Yojimbo over Cerebus even if it doesn't come close to the cerebral heights.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
bone is fuckin' amazing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just booted up The Pinball Arcade for the first time in ages, and it gave me an achievement for getting a high-score on a table that I don't own and have never played.

The Pinball Arcade is a very well programmed videogame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

dave sim is fuckin nuts, but a sane person could not have written cerberus.

What about Cerebus.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
We can't all be diligent in making sure our Apple or Google products don't suddenly change the spellings of our favorite series or characters just as well as we don't always catch when they capitalize the names of products and services like YouTube

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

okay so i just got to the part where the guy with the accent i can't place (the video linked by invictus about one piece)

tells me the heartbreaking backstory of a minor villain who dresses like a baby

and i guess my question is, is one piece like the japanese version of a Vertigo comic crossed with Ambush Bug (or, maybe much more accurately, Dave Sims' excellent Cerberus) or do people just wish it was and/or talk as if it is?
Almost every single major character is a culmination of a bunch of absurd descriptors put together that just works in the context of the world. Like that dude he mentions is literally a side fight in one arc. He's in maybe...3 chapters? And gets a fully fleshed out backstory. Oda makes some really good characters.

Franky is a shipwright cyborg powered by cola whose design was inspired by Ace Ventura, who doesn't believe in pants and gets extremely emotional towards touching backstories. He can breathe fire, shoot his fist like a grappling hook, and his personality is influenced by the flavor of soda you give him.

Tony Tony Chopper is a reindeer who accidentally ate the Human-Human fruit, making him a Reindeer-Human, which caused him to be exiled by his herd for being a freak. He was adopted by a lovely hobo doctor who lived in a tree and after a really loving tragic backstory decided to take up doctoring. He developed a medicine that lets him transform into a variety of different attack/defense forms, manipulating the devil fruit's ability.

Brooke is a gentlemanly skeleton swordsman musician with an afro who was killed along with his entire crew fifty years ago, but since he had eaten the Soul-Soul fruit, his soul came back to earth to come back to life a second time. He couldn't find his body in time though and it had turned into a skeleton by the time he did, so now he's a skeleton man instead of a normal man. He heals by drinking milk. He's also a big perv, but is gentlemanly about it.

Capone "Gang" Bege is a mafia boss who ate the Fortress-Fortress fruit, his entire body is a fortress. His whole pirate crew lives inside him and can launch or shoot out of him to attack like some kind of horrifying advent calendar. He values family very highly but is very ready to backstab any allies he may have in the name of treasure.

These are four characters of at least 800 named characters. Some may only show up for a panel, but there's hundreds that are recurring. The entire world of One Piece is interwoven so well, it doesn't always follow the Strawhats, it constantly updates on the state of the world as well, which helps in giving the series a much grander scope. It's worth noting that most of the biggest mysteries still have not been answered, like what Devil Fruits are, or what One Piece is, things introduced in the first chapter. But the focus is on the adventure, not the answers, so people don't mind not knowing until Oda's ready to tell us.

Also, Oda realized his series was really long so he put the entire series online to read for free because he understands some people can't afford 80+ volumes(but asks that you buy it if you can afford them), he's a really cool guy.

One Piece is good!

bloodychill posted:

I can't get past the Michael Jackson-meets-Pinocchio vibe the characters have going.
If you mean the artstyle, it can be jarring at first but grows on you. Also, there's multiple Actually Micheal Jacksons in One Piece.

precision posted:

bone is fuckin' amazing
If you don't have a full color hardcover edition you best step off son

It's so drat nice.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 23, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/dragonsdogma/status/866964643243327493

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Captain Invictus posted:

These are four characters of at least 800 named characters. Some may only show up for a panel, but there's hundreds that are recurring. The entire world of One Piece is interwoven so well, it doesn't always follow the Strawhats, it constantly updates on the state of the world as well, which helps in giving the series a much grander scope. It's worth noting that most of the biggest mysteries still have not been answered, like what Devil Fruits are, or what One Piece is, things introduced in the first chapter. But the focus is on the adventure, not the answers, so people don't mind not knowing until Oda's ready to tell us.

Yeah, the manga itself is a pretty fun action-adventure story, but the interconnectedness is what really elevates it. Like the fact that one character is given a backstory to justify why he dresses like a baby is just representative of the writing style, where Oda spends a lot of effort giving people motivations and tying the world together. The fact that he draws some really ugly people actually plays to his advantage, too, because his cast is so huge it becomes a good way to distinguish all of them. I eventually stopped reading it because I got bored, though, it's interesting but it just goes on and on and on.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Whatever helps to fuel a refined sequel! :homebrew:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The PC version is also getting a release in Japan. No, I don't know why it waited a year after the western release. Probably legal stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I'm gonna try the Everybody's Golf beta when I get home

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

maybe much more accurately, Dave Sims' excellent Cerberus)

i hope u fall down a staircase

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/866997673412501506

damnit :sigh:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man Injustice 2 is sick. Well worth a rental.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macarius Wrench posted:

Man Injustice 2 is sick. Well worth a rental.

I forgot all about Injustice 2 but I really liked MKX and playing pretty pretty princess so I might have to get this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so no update about if they are taking the Hitman IP with them or not, I guess

gently caress Squeenix

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

I forgot all about Injustice 2 but I really liked MKX and playing pretty pretty princess so I might have to get this.

My copy arrived last night and I ended up pouring 3 and a bit hours into it. I might be bored with it in a week and ready to trade it in but I'm having a blast so far.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I'm gonna try the Everybody's Golf beta when I get home

I didn't know there was a beta I hope it's good. The vita Everybody's Golf owns, I put a lot of time into it

The only complaint I ever had was that the characters are kind of bland after playing so much Mario Golf (though you can buy Kazuma Kiryu + Pac-Man as DLC but only in the JP version e: oh but you can get Kat from Gravity Rush)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:rip:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The characters are all create-an-anime in the new one as far as I know.

I signed up for the beta but I dunno if any EU invites have gone out yet, I snagged a US one from someone in adtrw discord.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macarius Wrench posted:

My copy arrived last night and I ended up pouring 3 and a bit hours into it. I might be bored with it in a week and ready to trade it in but I'm having a blast so far.

The thing about NRS fighters is that you can sink a lot of time into just single player in between all the towers, dress-up and unlockables. I think I easily put 50+ hours into MKX before I even went online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am really enjoying Injustice 2 and I love dressing my characters in ridiculous cyberhelmets. There are a lot of awesome variants and a ton of accessories directly connected to a bunch of other obscure characters, if you know anything about comics that part's pretty cool. Superman alone has so many different versions of the s-shield. It is kind of a bummer that you have to spend real money to change the appearance of equipment but I am fine never doing that and being subject to the whims of video game fate.

• Locked thread