Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

theres nothing wrong with being a fatass horny 70 year old fantasy author with a giant beard and hell you might as well earned it at this point

Please don't sign your posts twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm not sure you posted in the right thread but thanks for the inspiration for linguimancers writing scripts to alter fate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Read that as linguinemancer, currently writing up my master of telepennesis

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Splicer posted:

Read that as linguinemancer, currently writing up my master of telepennesis

And I read that as... well, uh, I read it wrong, let's just leave it at that

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

And I read that as... well, uh, I read it wrong, let's just leave it at that

The reception's terrible, you constantly have to shout to be heard at the other end.

Ettin check your PMs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

:trumppop:

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
well what about faerie places?????

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That's from Arse Magica, right? Part of the Wizard oath, because the fae are legit scary, like everything else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Deleter posted:

I'm not sure you posted in the right thread but thanks for the inspiration for linguimancers writing scripts to alter fate.

Meh, gently caress it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Meh, gently caress it.

ed balls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my upcoming Treasure Planet but with bounty hunters Strike game, one player's putting a ton of thought into her character and her character fits the role, so I asked if she wanted to be the ship's captain for the players' ship. She's totally into that, and immediately asked, "Can it be a ship I stole?"

Thanks, player, for dropping an absolutely golden plot hook in my lap :getin:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, can I get some recommendations on RPGs for a friend? Their main experience is with D&D/D20 but they've also played a little Dungeon World and Shadowrun, with some freestyle dragoning thrown into the mix. I'm mainly looking for good dungeon crawlers, but wouldn't mind suggesting a few rules-light or narrative games of other genres either.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 24, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Strike!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Thanks! I probably should have mentioned that I recommended that already, along with 13th Age. :sweatdrop:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, can I get some recommendations on RPGs for a friend? Their main experience is with D&D/D20 but they've also played a little Dungeon World and Shadowrun, with some freestyle dragoning thrown into the mix. I'm mainly looking for good dungeon crawlers, but wouldn't mind suggesting a few rules-light or narrative games of other genres either.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is a good dark fantasy game that you could do some tomb running in. There's also a really good bundle deal on the game right now.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms is a good underappreciated gem. Imagine someone jammed the good bits of The Princess Bride, Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, and Stardust into a blender, made a setting out of it, then made an impressively unique system to suit it. That's Spellbound Kingdoms.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For dungeon crawlers I would suggest Dungeon Crawl Classics and Torchbearer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah for a real dungeon crawl go back to the OSR. I'd also recommend the latest version of Swords & Wizardry, which has some great art and representation behind it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Thanks! I probably should have mentioned that I recommended that already, along with 13th Age. :sweatdrop:

Then FFD6. For real I'm gming it and I rec it

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics is good.

I'm on the fence about Torchbearer. The system seems like pushing uphill with weights on. I know hard-mode is the point of Torchbearer, but the mechanics do not feel streamlined.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Agent Rush posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics, Adventurer Conqueror King System, The Nightmares Underneath, Pars Fortuna, and Whitehack all spring to mind as good suggestions

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Haystack posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms is a good underappreciated gem. Imagine someone jammed the good bits of The Princess Bride, Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, and Stardust into a blender, made a setting out of it, then made an impressively unique system to suit it. That's Spellbound Kingdoms.

The game's also highly stealable-from - the equipment lists are amazing and would drop perfectly into your average D&D game to give you something to spend money on after the early game - D&D's awful at that. The mass combat and organisation rules are also pretty usable elsewhere. Highly recommend the purchase even if you're not going to run it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/algoritmic/status/867075568902262790

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I sent off a few of the names, hopefully a few will take!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haystack posted:

I love Spellbound Kingdoms but I don't know if I'd use it for dungeon crawling-type fantasy adventures. Swashbuckling pulp? For sure.

xiw posted:

The game's also highly stealable-from - the equipment lists are amazing and would drop perfectly into your average D&D game to give you something to spend money on after the early game - D&D's awful at that. The mass combat and organisation rules are also pretty usable elsewhere. Highly recommend the purchase even if you're not going to run it.

It's a bit awkwardly organized sometimes but it is worth browsing. The only thing is that I wish it provided a bit more guidance on how to make level-appropriate challenges or build monsters and fighting/spell schools from scratch. Maybe we'll get more on that whenever the kickstarter for the new supplement goes live?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Mouse Guard! I find it scratches the same itch as Shadowrun, where you're a pack of wandering problem-solvers who have to deal with assignments that are always more complicated than you bargained for. Unlike SR, it's not instant death rocket tag nor do characters become so hyperspecialized that anyone who isn't in their specialty can't even participate.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I recognise the Zybourne Clock CAPITAL map when I see it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am extremely excited to start running Strike. We can't start until next weekend due to scheduling issues but goddamn I want to start ASAP. I love designing fun and unique encounters but tend to burn out on miniature combat games because combat can drag out for so long, even in 13th Age (all the escalation dice in the world can't save you from a bunch of lovely damage rolls). If Strike makes combat flow as well as it looks like it does I'm going to have a great drat time with it.

The only thing is going to be keeping my players focused and making sure they actually know what their abilities do before their turn comes up so everybody's turn doesn't take five minutes as they re-assess the board and re-read their powers every drat time

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone run Strike! for me so I can actually play it instead of GMing!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If this in-person campaign falls through I'll run some Strike! online. I kind of want to steal your Ivalice campaign concept actually, Ivalice owns

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yesterday one of my players gave us that coveted moment of excitement you get when you experience something you've only ever heard of by rolling three critical hits in a row. Then turn order moved on to the next player, who made an attack and also rolled a critical hit.

share your tales of statistical improbability

One time in a Vampire game, an Akhud blood sorceror used magic to set off a demonic fiery gently caress-you in front of the whole party. We all had to roll frenzy checks at some godawful penalty and if we failed we'd take a derangement among some other awful poo poo. Every single one of us was on a chance die. Every single one of us rolled a ten. There were four of us so it was literally one in ten thousand. That was the absolute best time to accidentally step in a faerie glade and for the normal laws of probability to go out the window.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Harrow posted:

If this in-person campaign falls through I'll run some Strike! online. I kind of want to steal your Ivalice campaign concept actually, Ivalice owns

Please do! I loved that game!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What is this stealable Ivalice campaign concept?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

What is this stealable Ivalice campaign concept?

Plutonis ran a Final Fantasy Tactics in Strike! game that me and several other people played in. It was more silly FFTA2 adventures than serious political stuff, and was super fun. It was also the only goon game I've ever been in that managed a full campaign with basically the same people.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Cease to Hope posted:

Mouse Guard! I find it scratches the same itch as Shadowrun, where you're a pack of wandering problem-solvers who have to deal with assignments that are always more complicated than you bargained for. Unlike SR, it's not instant death rocket tag nor do characters become so hyperspecialized that anyone who isn't in their specialty can't even participate.

Cool, I'll take a look at that as well! I also have kind of a weird question, has anyone here read through Unwritten, the Myst RPG? I'd love to hear some opinions on it before I pick it up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Agent Rush posted:

Cool, I'll take a look at that as well! I also have kind of a weird question, has anyone here read through Unwritten, the Myst RPG? I'd love to hear some opinions on it before I pick it up.

It's a good FATE iteration. But it absolutely requires the right player group, and honestly way more GM-work than a lot of other settings. It's hard to do discovery and puzzles without a solid long term gameplan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

fool_of_sound posted:

Plutonis ran a Final Fantasy Tactics in Strike! game that me and several other people played in. It was more silly FFTA2 adventures than serious political stuff, and was super fun. It was also the only goon game I've ever been in that managed a full campaign with basically the same people.

I was hoping for some serious political stuff starring Nu Mou and Moogles.

• Locked thread