Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for the next hour and change these guys on the appropriations committee

Members:
Senator Ricardo Lara (Chair)
Senator Patricia Bates (Vice Chair)
Senator Jim Beall
Senator Steven Bradford
Senator Jerry Hill
Senator Jim Nielsen
Senator Scott Wiener

Here are their Sacramento office numbers:

Ricardo Lara (Chair, Bill Author): (916) 651-4033
Pat Bates (Vice Chair): (916) 651-4036
Jim Beall: (916) 651-4015
Steven Bradford: (916) 651-4035
Jerry Hill: (916) 651-4013
Jim Nielsen: (916) 651-4004
Scott Wiener (Bill Co-author): (916) 651-4011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for the next hour and change these guys on the appropriations committee

Members:
Senator Ricardo Lara (Chair)
Senator Patricia Bates (Vice Chair)
Senator Jim Beall
Senator Steven Bradford
Senator Jerry Hill
Senator Jim Nielsen
Senator Scott Wiener

Thanks! Beall represents me so I'll give a call shortly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just called all of them (I think; I may have called one of them twice) and spent less than five minutes doing it! A few of the staffers were more excited than others!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

State level UHC would have the same problem as Prop 61. UHC doesn't work without price controls, and one state has less leverage than the medical industry, because the state needs to provide the promised health care, but the industry can survive not dealing with one state.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It can't and won't. We've been over this before. Even assuming that Republicans don't torpedo state managed healthcare systems by allowing insurance to be bought across state lines, single payer systems often collapse under the weight of the newly insured with deferred health problems and an inability to pay. The classic D&D answer of "tax the wealthiest" doesn't work, because the income of top earners tends to fluctuate with the economy, while healthcare costs are relatively constant (although generally going up year upon year.)

The only way even have a shot at making it work (and this is without Republicans in Congress actively loving with the insurance market) is to implement a requirement to demonstrate a certain length of residency, which A) will likely place a difficult obstacle in the way of the poor and homeless and indigent trying to obtain care, and B) will require you to stand fast and take a hard-nosed approach when the sob stories about undocumented immigrants, migrant workers, and aspiring actors fresh off the bus in Hollywood are denied care, which no one seems willing to do. Every one wants free healthcare, but no one wants to talk about how we are going to gate and ration it so that it doesn't go bankrupt.

Your dreams are never going to happen, real life is messy and doesn't offer morally pleasant solutions, Hail Satan.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just called the office of Jerry Hill who represents my district, and made sure to point out where I lived during the call. Hadn't called a political office before!

According to the staffer that picked up he already supports the bill in any case.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think my favorite part about the Healthy California Act is that it regulates health care providers, instead of health insurance providers, because I don't want to grant the latter industry the legitimacy of being mentioned in our laws.

Edit:

SD Stream: http://senatestream-lh.akamaihd.net/i/Sen_TV2@118078/index_360_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&rebase=on
HD Stream: http://senatestream-lh.akamaihd.net/i/Sen_TV2@118078/index_720_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&rebase=on
Audio: http://stream.senate.ca.gov:1935/live/_definst_/TV2_audio/media_w1257606577_111.aac

Nothing's on, yet, aside from a title card.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 22, 2017

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

The classic D&D answer of "tax the wealthiest" doesn't work, because the income of top earners tends to fluctuate with the economy, while healthcare costs are relatively constant (although generally going up year upon year.)

If I didn't :lol: at this the first time, :lol:

Dead Reckoning posted:

single payer systems often collapse under the weight of the newly insured with deferred health problems and an inability to pay.

Can you cite examples of this happening "often"?

Deferred health problems are a big reason healthcare costs are so high in this country. Uninsured people wait until it's an emergency to get care, and we wind up paying for it anyway with higher rates. Even if there's a large initial cost, better preventative care should ease costs over time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If I didn't :lol: at this the first time, :lol:

Man, this isn't even a moral thing, it's a practical one. The super rich get most of their money from investments, dividends, capital gains, and similar non-salary/wage vehicles. They are OK with the fact that they might make $8 million one year, and $4 million the next. While someone living off an hourly wage would find a 50% pay cut devastating, these fluctuations are far less important when you have established wealth. While there is certainly a tax base there to be tapped, and we should tax it more, it is volatile, it isn't consistent in a way that is good for long term budget planning. This is why Prop 55 was a mistake. The best way to handle this is to have a fund that is built up in fat years so that it won't run out in lean years, but :lol: elected officials from Sacramento to D.C. have never met a pot of money they could keep their fingers out of.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

The classic D&D answer of "tax the wealthiest" doesn't work, because the income of top earners tends to fluctuate with the economy
Can we fix property tax yet?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CopperHound posted:

Can we fix property tax yet?
God willing. Unfortunately, it's a policy that directly benefits the upper middle class, the wealthy, and those who got here first, so I don't have high hopes.

Can you cite examples of this happening "often"?
Off the top of my head, Vermont's Green Mountain Care. Single payer usually involves covering people who previously could not (and presumably still cannot) afford health care. The only way to do that is with cost controls. Controlling costs on the supply side is beyond the ability of any one state. Controlling costs on the demand side means excluding people, which goes against the moral and practical argument for single payer in the first place.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The best way to handle this is to have a fund that is built up in fat years so that it won't run out in lean years, but :lol: elected officials from Sacramento to D.C. have never met a pot of money they could keep their fingers out of.

Good thing the bill does that: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB562#id_364D9E8C-5071-421F-BCA8-738FB6FC28F8

Of course, the text could be changed later to redirect funds elsewhere, but that can happen to every statute everywhere, so it's not really a useful topic to explore.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

God willing. Unfortunately, it's a policy that directly benefits the upper middle class, the wealthy, and those who got here first, so I don't have high hopes.

Off the top of my head, Vermont's Green Mountain Care. Single payer usually involves covering people who previously could not (and presumably still cannot) afford health care. The only way to do that is with cost controls. Controlling costs on the supply side is beyond the ability of any one state. Controlling costs on the demand side means excluding people, which goes against the moral and practical argument for single payer in the first place.

Vermont has the second smallest population of any state. They have far fewer people to care for, but also no bargaining power, a small tax base, and no way to take advantage of economy of scale. California's population is more than sixty times that of Vermont and our economy is larger than that of most nations with effective single payer. California to Vermont isn't an apples to oranges comparison, it's apples to watermelons. It might take unfucking our tax code and keeping the feds and industry fucks from sabotaging it, but California unquestionably has the resources for single payer at least on par with Canada's.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
speaking of unfucking the tax code, the appropriations committee released its analysis of the bill and we need 200 bill in new tax revenue *eyes prop 13*

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-htmlstory.html

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I do think that Prop 13 is increasingly becoming an ethical test for California's left and anyone who claims to respect good government. The original proposition was blatantly unconstitutional but the bellicose "tax revolt" mood of the time made challenging it too politically risky. Now we've had decades of budget crises for our trouble and not much else to show for it.

Our initiative process is a trainwreck. Every election we get a dozen badly written and legally dubious initiatives clogging our ballots and the courts only review them after they pass. California judges are notorious for allowing things they shouldn't because they don't want to contradict "the will of the people" (or piss off voters) and the legislature is completely barred from reviewing, amending, or repealing initiatives the way they would be with any other laws.

I get why direct democracy is valuable, I really do, but I think we're well past the point of needing a constitutional amendment to fix our initiative system and I think most Californians would be just fine with that. Bare minimum, I want to see thorough judicial review happening before initiatives go to ballot and some mechanism for initiatives to expire or a way for the legislature to amend outdated initiatives.

This situation where our budget is handcuffed by an illegal (at least by modern standards) backdoor amendment passed by voters in the 70s who had no idea what they were really voting for is just too preposterous to let stand, but it's not enough to just reverse it. We need to actually do something to keep it from happening again.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yep, Clinton-voting liberal Democrats are rushing to stomp out the single-payer fire in favor of a "public option." John Burton told the California Nurses Association to "shut the gently caress up or go outside."

I can confirm this. I remember that my indivisible group co-ran an event with the moveon/organizing for action folks and their lead national organizer told me to go around the room confiscating california single-payer signs during our event (I didn't).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Trump administration decided not to gently caress up Caltrain electrification, FTA will provide the federal dollars that were earmarked.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's great news! What a relief.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.d6fc4bf9c612

The article posted:

“This is yet another bait and switch to deceive state taxpayers and take imaginary dollars from one project to pay for another, putting at risk California’s transportation future,” [Rep. Jeff Dunham Denham] said in a statement. “Caltrain is not, nor will it ever be, ‘high speed’ and should not be funded with high speed rail dollars, especially when that project has yet to prove its own financial viability."

Great reasoning there. It's not like the high-speed trains are going to use those tracks or anything!

CPColin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 23, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Eat Prop 13.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I would, but I'm afraid it would permanently lower my CON.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Calexit might come about after all...

https://twitter.com/KPCC/status/866856719317708801

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

That sounds like the exact type of sound bite that is taken out of context and makes scientists and academics wary about talking to the press.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
How does ending prop 13 not push working class out of their homes and not push them further away from where they work just because they are a filthy home owner. Owning a home for me is cheaper than renting by miles and I can see how this could be difficult for many people and possibly myself if home values just keep getting even more ridiculous. Or do we need to just rip off the band-aid and it should stabilize the market? I really don't know enough about it. Either way, there isn't enough inventory, eat the rich, many regular home owning schlubs aren't rich at all. Help me understand it, I assume tax collection has had to change. Schools are still funded by property tax, and in reality they shouldn't and should be equally funded. But that's a different discussion.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 23, 2017

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How does ending prop 13 not push working class out of their homes and not push them further away from where they work just because they are a filthy home owner. Owning a home for me is cheaper than renting by miles and I can see how this could be difficult for many people and possibly myself if home values just keep getting even more ridiculous. Or do we need to just rip off the band-aid and it should stabilize the market? I really don't know enough about it. Either way, there isn't enough inventory, eat the rich, many regular home owning schlubs aren't rich at all. Help me understand it, I assume tax collection has had to change. Schools are still funded by property tax, and in reality they shouldn't and should be equally funded. But that's a different discussion.

Most people who want to end prop 13 want to end prop 13 for Commercial properties. That's a bigger deal than the cost of lost property taxes on your house.

Edit: I suppose many want it ended for all properties, but still, commercial first.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fermun posted:

Most people who want to end prop 13 want to end prop 13 for Commercial properties. That's a bigger deal than the cost of lost property taxes on your house.

Edit: I suppose many want it ended for all properties, but still, commercial first.

Most sane proposals for walking back prop 13 also include things like undue burden exemptions, a schedule of increases towards true property value over x number of years vs an immediate hike, and/or grandfathering in existing residential property at their current tax rates until it changes hands due to inheritance/sale/etc.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The big loophole with prop 13 and commercial property is that somebody will build a strip mall or something like a Walmart on empty land in the middle of nowhere, and the real estate/building is owned by a shell company, with the premises on 99 year leases.

But since the property never technically changes hands, the assessed value stays based on when it was just a patch of dirt in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: also a decent compromise on 13 is to only make it apply to single-family owner-occupied dwellings. That way you get the additional revenue, but you avoid the "Assemblyman X wants to throw grandma out of her house!"

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 23, 2017

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

But what about those foreign cities that have The Big Ones and don't fall into the core of the Earth?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I think post Hurricane Katrina it's not crazy to carefully plan for possible logistical challenges following a major natural disaster striking a major city.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CPColin posted:

Good thing the bill does that: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB562#id_364D9E8C-5071-421F-BCA8-738FB6FC28F8

Of course, the text could be changed later to redirect funds elsewhere, but that can happen to every statute everywhere, so it's not really a useful topic to explore.
Given the history of governments, including California's, raiding and looting funding pools and obligations that were supposedly sacrosanct, I have absolutely no reason to believe it won't happen in this case. You admit yourself that it's just a "I promise it'll be different this time, baby" arrangement. Given that this fund will constitute something like 1/3-1/4 of the entire budget, I would say it's almost a certainty.

Duckbag posted:

Vermont has the second smallest population of any state. They have far fewer people to care for, but also no bargaining power, a small tax base, and no way to take advantage of economy of scale. California's population is more than sixty times that of Vermont and our economy is larger than that of most nations with effective single payer. California to Vermont isn't an apples to oranges comparison, it's apples to watermelons. It might take unfucking our tax code and keeping the feds and industry fucks from sabotaging it, but California unquestionably has the resources for single payer at least on par with Canada's.
Increasing the scale of the problem doesn't actually change the underlying issues. California has more money, but also more people to take care of, especially if we're including illegal immigrants (which some people apparently want to.) California can't restrict interstate trade across its borders in the same manner as a proper nation state, and attempts to fence our entire healthcare industry would likely hurt us more than it would save us money. The fact that you worry about the healthcare industry "sabotaging" it betrays the fact that you know it can't be done without the compliance of an industry that the state has no leverage to bend into compliance. Fundamentally, it has all the same problems as Prop 61.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Undocumented immigrants pay taxes and live in California. Taking their money and refusing to give them health insurance would be tantamount to robbery, which I'm sure would mightily offend your sensibilities.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Undocumented immigrants pay taxes and live in California. Taking their money and refusing to give them health insurance would be tantamount to robbery, which I'm sure would mightily offend your sensibilities.
It is entirely reasonable to fine people for breaking the law :v:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

It is entirely reasonable to fine people for breaking the law :v:

So you're just a horrible person huh? Would mentioning that hundreds of thousands of undocumented Californians came as small children mean anything to you? I dated one. She was 30, had lived in California most of her life, and was still undocumented because immigration law is a nightmare and people don't want to put targets on their backs while waiting to get papers.

Interstate commerce and healthcare intersect in interesting ways that I don't know much about, but I haven't seen much of an argument for why it would be a deal breaker. Pretty much everyone I've read discussing why the Vermont plan failed brought up the fact that it's a state that's​ not used to such large social programs and also most Vermonters live about an hour drive from an out-of-state hospital. As for negotiating with providers, California has 12% of the US population. Vermont has about 0.2%. Isn't it reasonable to assume that one will have a whole hell of a lot more leverage than the other?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Duckbag posted:

Would mentioning that hundreds of thousands of undocumented Californians came as small children mean anything to you?

You're assuming that he cares about any Californian he can't see in the mirror

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We already :airquote:lose money:airquote: on undocumented people when they get emergency care, might as well cut down on that with preventative care first.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you serious? Animal shelters don't hire people who believe in dog fighting, pharmacists can't have drug problems, why do you think the state government should be forced to hire people who are in favor of its violent destruction?

I don't want people like you determining what other people and groups believe for the purposes of taking away their employment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so happy the CA GOP is a mess and people like dead reckoning have very little voice in the state government

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so happy the CA GOP is a mess and people like dead reckoning have very little voice in the state government
I'm not. A functional moderate opposition could in theory keep everyone more accountable. I don't think we can trust Jerry Brown to be the voice of temperance for eternity.

E:It would be nice to get an electable canidate (that in reality would probably be more like a red state democrat) to run against people like Diane Feinestein.

E2: all that said I would like to see a functional healthcare system built from the smouldering ashes of the previous one.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 23, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Could that be softened if only primary care were included in universal single payer st first? Kind of like how well baby checkups are free to make sure everyone goes?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Diane Feinstein is the moderate opposition at this point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Diane Feinstein is the moderate opposition at this point.

Yes, unfortunately she's not running as a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
No joke - last night, I had a dream where I realized that I had a "Reelect Diane Feinstein" bumper sticker on my car and I woke up panicking about how it got there.