Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The show is PG-13, just like the movies.
I don't remember it ever being billed as a live action kid's cartoon. It's not just violence, but heavy adult themes like hatred, betrayal, loss, regret, etc.
You know your kids. Use common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's an appropriate age for horror movies?

Because i'm 41 and i'm not a fan of clowns. I feel i was rushed into clowns in general.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Pfffft, clowns?

They're delightful.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Power drilling out the eye I felt like was a new level for this show. I mean there's always been some violence and we recently had May presumably rip someone's throat out with a claw hammer, but it wasn't clear and there wasn't a close up of the torn out robo jugular immediately afterwards like there was with the eye.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Worse than LMD heads in the furnace? That was the moment I realized they were really pushing the edge in their new time slot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Coulson defacing that robot was pretty extreme, too.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rocksicles posted:

What's an appropriate age for horror movies?

Because i'm 41 and i'm not a fan of clowns. I feel i was rushed into clowns in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdDdC4go6c

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

ExtremeLY BADASS

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nope.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember back in the third episode of the show they had Centipede science lady get violently and graphically burned alive

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phylodox posted:

That's robots. No one's freaked out about robot gore until you mention that there's a pilot inside of it.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I'm really surprised Gemma's boob recoil jiggle hasn't been discussed in great detail.

This moment was so incredibly well done. Absolutely perfect.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I think that the most violent/disturbing thing allowed on TV or other forms of media should be a man in a top hat twirling his mustachio quite evilly as he forecloses on Widow Goody's farm.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Darth Brooks posted:

My wife decided to stop watching AOS because it was getting more violent. We have an impressionable toddler, so that's actually a concern. I had decided to keep watching because I didn't think it was more violent than it had been. Next episode was the one with Simmons stabbing the snot out of of Fitzbot. My son was sitting on my lap when the scene happened and I tried to rotate him away from the screen so he wouldn't see what really looked like a murder. He kept twisting his head to see and I kept rotating the chair so he couldn't. We went back and forth for the length of sequence and later I had to admit to her that the show was not kid safe.

Dude there was never a point in time of this series that a toddler should be exposed to.

Phenotype posted:

Eh, when I was a kid I feel like you saw people shooting guns and punching the bad guys in every TV show. It's kinda generalized violence and typically not very explicit or bloody, whereas a woman screaming and stabbing her boyfriend in the chest, or a very human-looking eye getting power drilled, are much more real, and I would definitely think the one could cause nightmares where the other wouldn't.

When I was a kid there was gun stuff but:
80's violence TV Shows: A-Team, Knight Rider, MacGuyver, etc. I was well past being a toddler and their violence consisted of bad stunt punching, people firing guns from hips spraying bullets everywhere, and when someone got shot, it you see them from a distance and they just kinda fall down from something. Explosions happened a lot too but it was always them diving out of a bunker and just acting knocked out.

Violence in Miami Vice could get a little worse depending on the episode and the director- with a few definitive examples of "hey this is too violent for kids".

edit: The other huge difference is that some of those popular Action TV shows in primetime is that they were marketed towards kids with toys and other promotional tie-ins.

edit2: I'd have to re-watch some of the old stuff but from what I remember, even stuff like Tour of Duty's violence wasn't as graphic compared to stuff in AOS.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 22, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sith Happens posted:

I'm really surprised Gemma's boob recoil jiggle hasn't been discussed in great detail.

This moment was so incredibly well done. Absolutely perfect.

Oh, it got it's own thread on Reddit.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rocksicles posted:

Oh, it got it's own thread on Reddit.

This... does not surprise me in the least.

e: Should we talk about how poor her aim control was. Holding like that, recoil can bounce your aim all over the place. Since she's got an ally down-range near her target, that's incredibly irresponsible. She could have easily shot Coulson.

Although, at that point, Coulson was carrying the rider, so even if he was shot, he woulda been fine...

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 22, 2017

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Sith Happens posted:

I honestly didn't notice until you pointed it out.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Just some random thoughts when thinking about AoS in space, but I wonder who has the rights to the Brood and Shi'ar. Brood would be a solid season of just shooting aliens and not needing a truly deep plot. Shi'ar could be fun going to war with the Kree and Earth getting in the middle of it and the team has to deal with it because the rest of the heroes are having to deal with Thanos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brood and Shi'ar are almost assuredly under the X-Men umbrella.

Not to mention the Brood are pretty clearly Marvel's take on Aliens, so I doubt they would ever get used.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sith Happens posted:

Eh, i've seen better. I bet Aidas would jiggle much better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can...can we please not have this discussion?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Brood and Shi'ar are almost assuredly under the X-Men umbrella.

Not to mention the Brood are pretty clearly Marvel's take on Aliens, so I doubt they would ever get used.

That's what I figured which is a shame because by themselves the Kree are kinda bleh but some of the best moments I remember from the comics are when they had spats with the Shi'ar and Skrull. Like I remember Operation: Galactic Storm and that was a fun event especially with Eric Masterson Thor and a bunch of random Avengers that don't normally get put in the front like Living Lighting.

The other thing that I'm sure is on a lot of peoples minds is what kind of if any crossover is Inhumans going to have with AoS.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bentacos posted:

I honestly didn't notice until you pointed it out.

All I noticed was Jemma telling AIDA that she knew it wouldn't kill her, she just wanted to shoot her a bunch. That was pretty bad-rear end and really showed how far her character has come. Her and Fitz both have gone from lab geeks to very qualified field agents (who are also still lab geeks) and it is awesome.

Edit: goddammit spell-check - "bad-rear end" is a word!

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 22, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gemma's transformation into the last person you ever wanna gently caress with has been one of the most satisfying arcs of the series. Getting stranded on an alien planet really made a badass out of her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gemma's transformation into the last person you ever wanna gently caress with has been one of the most satisfying arcs of the series. Getting stranded on an alien planet really made a badass out of her.

My favorite moment this season was May calling her a pop tart :3:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inhumans trailer is leaked:

https://vid.me/vcbm

Spoiler: It sucks.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

That looks...bad

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Oh cool we're going with the Maximus takes over and spreads the royals out. Now Black Bolt has to figure out how to live in society without Medusa having to talk for him. At least we see that Lockjaw is around even though his cgi is kinda sketch.

Edit: I mean drat we aren't even gonna play up the surprise for non comic readers that Maximus is gonna be an rear end and betray everybody. Granted the casting kinda gave that away.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 23, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

notthegoatseguy posted:

The acting looks pretty bad. I blame the director.

The trailer makes the plot look uninspired and like it breaks no new ground.

But I'll still give it a shot.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Eh, doesn't look great, doesn't look terrible. Looks like fairly standard to the showrunner.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That trailer looked completely fine, some dodgy effects of course but nothing out of the ordinary for a tv show without a mega budget.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That was some... interesting teleportation Lockjaw has, huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, either my inner comic nerd child has really low standards or you guys are cynical because all I can think is "HOLY gently caress LOCKJAW! I JUST SAW LOCKJAW! A GIANT loving LOCKJAW ON TV!"

Triton didn't look too great, though. But I really wasn't bothered by it at all and it basically confirmed what I assumed, that it was going to be half in Attilan with Maximums taking over and half on Earth with the Royal Family on the run. That's fine. I think that's the right way to introduce them to the AoS/MCU world.

I don't know if it will be good or bad but I'm in.

loving LOCKJAW!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Can...can we please not have this discussion?

To help with the budget, isn't Agents of Shield is having it's effects done by Team Ninja?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The trailer really makes me want to know who Scott B is. Or was, at this point I guess.

E: Oh lol, I guess the showrunner. Did he leak his own poo poo?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

STAC Goat posted:

Man, either my inner comic nerd child has really low standards or you guys are cynical because all I can think is "HOLY gently caress LOCKJAW! I JUST SAW LOCKJAW! A GIANT loving LOCKJAW ON TV!"

Triton didn't look too great, though. But I really wasn't bothered by it at all and it basically confirmed what I assumed, that it was going to be half in Attilan with Maximums taking over and half on Earth with the Royal Family on the run. That's fine. I think that's the right way to introduce them to the AoS/MCU world.

I don't know if it will be good or bad but I'm in.

loving LOCKJAW!

All I saw was SCOTT. B

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

The acting looks pretty bad. I blame the director.

Sometimes cheap directors can be good, but I don't know about the guy who directed 12 Rounds 2, Death Race 2, and Scorpion King 3.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My biggest problem is Medusa's hair isn't all moving and crazy. She does not once use it to choke someone out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's my main concern. I have no idea HOW they could make Medusa work on a limited TV budget and that trailer doesn't give any sign of it. They also don't show Crystal's powers, Triton underwater, or Black Bolt doing anything except making a car flip. All we really see is Karnak and Gorgon hitting stuff. So its a big question as to how they do the super powers and I'm a little worried that they didn't include some good shot in the trailer because they all look bad.

But like, I'm content to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

notthegoatseguy posted:

I am 100% confident this will get cancelled mid-season

• Locked thread