Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GobiasIndustries posted:

What amiibos unlock special armor sets?

Basically, all of the Link ones.

All the non-Link Zelda ones give you stuff, but its not armor sets. All of the non-zelda ones just give you a couple paltry foodstuffs.

Smash gives you twilight set, 8-bit gives you classic set, wind waker gives you wind waker set, OOT gives you OOT set, and the upcoming majora's gives you fierce diety's and the upcoming twilight gives the same twilight set as the OG smash link, and the skyward link I think gives you skyward armor set too.

Basically all just variations on the set of the hero you get for getting all the shrines, but they're aesthetically matching the game the amiibo came from.

Oh and Shiek gives you the helmet but its not a "set".

And I guess I should point out there are a couple Link ones that don't give you sets; the new BOTW ones don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GobiasIndustries posted:

What amiibos unlock special armor sets?

http://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdKSbr3SU7U

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Basically, all of the Link ones.

All the non-Link Zelda ones give you stuff, but its not armor sets. All of the non-zelda ones just give you a couple paltry foodstuffs.

Smash gives you twilight set, 8-bit gives you classic set, wind waker gives you wind waker set, OOT gives you OOT set, and the upcoming majora's gives you fierce diety's and the upcoming twilight gives the same twilight set as the OG smash link, and the skyward link I think gives you skyward armor set too.

Basically all just variations on the set of the hero you get for getting all the shrines, but they're aesthetically matching the game the amiibo came from.

Oh and Shiek gives you the helmet but its not a "set".

And I guess I should point out there are a couple Link ones that don't give you sets; the new BOTW ones don't.

Nice, thanks!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Holy poo poo all of Ocarina of time basically fits on the Great Plateau.

Makes sense, since apparently the ruins on the plateau match up pretty well with the Hyrule Castletown in Ocarina, including the path to the castle, which is replaced in this game with the "Eastern Abbey".

Edit:
Good times.
Just noticed that they apparently renamed "Hylia River" to "River of the Dead" and moved Hylia River elsewhere.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 22, 2017

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

those unique swords (biggoron etc) look pretty cool. what are the attack stats on it?

best weapon i have so far is a lynel sword with 93 attack. one-handed too, haven't dared to use it cause I don't want it to break ever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp, got to 116 shrines before I threw in the towel and looked stuff up. Of course I found that I had just been about 10 yards away from triggering the Sheikah Sensor on one of them about an hour before.

While I have some issues with it (I especially wish there were a few more upgrades for convenience's sake as you're nearing completion), I was still insanely satisfied by this game. Also 242 korok seeds seems pretty ok!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dictator. posted:

those unique swords (biggoron etc) look pretty cool. what are the attack stats on it?

best weapon i have so far is a lynel sword with 93 attack. one-handed too, haven't dared to use it cause I don't want it to break ever.

I got the biggoron sword pretty early on and it was nuts when you're just off the great plateau, something in the 50s or 60s

But then I used it on every guardian I found and it broke and I haven't gotten another one :(

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
About to finish up the shrines to get the outfit. I want to dye it the color of the blue mail from ALttP. Ran around the whole game with hero's cap and tunic with Wind Waker pants for that Oracle look.

Feels good.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Just finished the Tarrey Town side quest and besides gathering wood (ugh) it was a pretty cool chain of quests and I came to the conclusion that I would much rather have my house in Tarrey Town than in Hateno Village and I am sad it isn't. I want to be by all the different peoples I helped :smith:

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

weird Asian candy posted:

Just finished the Tarrey Town side quest and besides gathering wood (ugh) it was a pretty cool chain of quests and I came to the conclusion that I would much rather have my house in Tarrey Town than in Hateno Village and I am sad it isn't. I want to be by all the different peoples I helped :smith:

Scrubs that have their names not ended in "son" are not welcome in Tarrey.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ProZocK posted:

Scrubs that have their names not ended in "son" are not welcome in Tarrey.

Side Quest : Linkson's Adoption

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I took the wind out of my sails a little bit by fighting Gannon. I beat him at 88 Shrines. I've done 3 more ever since (including Eventide) and I don't know if I have it in me to hit 120 anymore.

Seriously. Since I had defeated all 4 of the Divine Beasts, it turned the Calamity Gannon fight into a complete joke. As long as you practiced Parrying in the slightest this fight was cake. Even when he turned into a giant beast I eventually even discarded the horse to hit the weak spots. I was also expecting a 3rd form where the fight could have been similar to the Twilight Princess sword duel. I feel like Gannon fights are supposed to be the final ultimate test of combat mechanics you learned during the game?

I know it'll be cool to finish the Climber's set, and I may hit other parts of the map that I maybe haven't seen. Some of these shrine quests will probably add narrative to the game as well.

Turns out the real end boss in BotW is yourself.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I'm a little ways into the game (1 divine beast), and I'm poor and want rupees. I want to buy the stealth set and also need 500 rupees for a fairy fountain. Should I be cooking and selling the food? And if so what's a good recipe? I've probably done less than 30 shrines, mostly on the eastern side of the map.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ProjektorBoy posted:

I feel like I took the wind out of my sails a little bit by fighting Gannon. I beat him at 88 Shrines. I've done 3 more ever since (including Eventide) and I don't know if I have it in me to hit 120 anymore.

Seriously. Since I had defeated all 4 of the Divine Beasts, it turned the Calamity Gannon fight into a complete joke. As long as you practiced Parrying in the slightest this fight was cake. Even when he turned into a giant beast I eventually even discarded the horse to hit the weak spots. I was also expecting a 3rd form where the fight could have been similar to the Twilight Princess sword duel. I feel like Gannon fights are supposed to be the final ultimate test of combat mechanics you learned during the game?

I know it'll be cool to finish the Climber's set, and I may hit other parts of the map that I maybe haven't seen. Some of these shrine quests will probably add narrative to the game as well.

See, I went in to the final boss having no idea how to parry, so even with 119 shrines done at that point, the Soldier set at Lv 3 defence wise and a screen fill of full health restores, it was still a huge pain in the arse.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DrOgreface posted:

I'm a little ways into the game (1 divine beast), and I'm poor and want rupees. I want to buy the stealth set and also need 500 rupees for a fairy fountain. Should I be cooking and selling the food? And if so what's a good recipe? I've probably done less than 30 shrines, mostly on the eastern side of the map.
Find a YouTube vide on dragon scale farming. Whatever the electric one is, there is a technique to get 3 scales in 1 minute, which get you 900 rupees when you sell them. If mean, if you're going to farm for rupees, do it the fastest way possible. My biggest complaint about them in this game is that you rarely just find rupees.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Astro7x posted:

Find a YouTube vide on dragon scale farming. Whatever the electric one is, there is a technique to get 3 scales in 1 minute, which get you 900 rupees when you sell them. If mean, if you're going to farm for rupees, do it the fastest way possible. My biggest complaint about them in this game is that you rarely just find rupees.

Thanks, but it looks like that requires me to be a lot farther along than I am.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can just go anywhere whenever in this game though

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

ProjektorBoy posted:

It is a bit on the easy-ish side but, the fight is really as hard as you want it to be. Narritive-wise, freeing all four of the divine beasts is supposed to make the fight significantly easier. They're literally the weapons designed to beat the poo poo out of Ganon. Gameplay-wise, that's kind of the balance of having the game being almost entirely non-linear. Ganon can be fought and beaten right after you leave the plateau, therefore the fight mechanics have to accommodate that. You (and me, for that matter) came in fully prepared, having gotten combat down pat and cleared all the beasts. You put in the legwork and were rewarded with delivering a heroic beatdown. The actual final battle is a playable cinematic as far as I'm concerned :v:.

Also, I'm pretty sure Calamity Ganon was the Ganondorf fight. He has a humanoid face, but I think that's all that he could pull together at that point. He's pretty much gone feral by the end.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

DrOgreface posted:

If you have a bow and arrow, and a way to make fire, you can do it. I'm sitting on 30k rupees right now between the dragon horn pieces and beating the poo poo out of Stone Taluses and selling the gems to the Gerudo chick in Goron City.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sell your gems. It's easy to get more later on for upgrades. Save a few if you want.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DrOgreface posted:

Cooked meat skewers (5 pieces prime or gourmet) net you decent money, and making elixirs from 4 fireflies and a monster bit gets you 100 rupees a time IIRC. (If you haven't figured out how to catch flying bugs yet you need to walk slowly and grab when their name shows up.)

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Cool, thanks everyone

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I went bowling for my rupees :D Also sold jewels.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Sell your gems. It's easy to get more later on for upgrades. Save a few if you want.

This, but I would recommend saving your diamonds. They are rarer than the other gems. Eventually you can buy them in a particular location, but it's one at a time and they are pricey.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The spoiled image below is where all of the rare ore deposits are, and they should refresh after a few days. I only list it below to show you how abundant they are. Just take a picture of one and use the Sheikah Sensor, and you should not be hurting for gems ever again.

(taken from the object map; and the next spoiled image is where any ore deposit (other than luminous) is.

Seriously. They're hiding everywhere.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mastajake posted:

Just take a picture of one and use the Sheikah Sensor,

You can take a picture of the ore deposit itself??? Oh my god :stare:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ProjektorBoy posted:

You don't even have to Parry if you buy a Guardian Shield from the scientist dude

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tim Burns Effect posted:

You don't even have to Parry if you buy a Guardian Shield from the scientist dude

Good God how the gently caress does this game have an alternate mechanic for ~everything~

I always found that particular type of armament so fragile that I just stopped using them unless they were the only thing available.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 23, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ProjektorBoy posted:

Good God how the gently caress does this game have an alternate mechanic for ~everything~

Also, when you're crouching you'll punch treasure chests instead of kicking them. Since you can't kick while crouching.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ciaphas posted:

You can take a picture of the ore deposit itself??? Oh my god :stare:

Note there are 3 types of ore outcrop - luminous, ordinary and rare.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ProjektorBoy posted:

I always found that particular type of armament so fragile that I just stopped using them unless they were the only thing available.

for what its worth, the only shield that works is the one you buy at the lab, the other guardian shields only reflect scout beams

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Who else is as childish as me and shot light arrows up Beast Ganon's anus a few times before taking him out?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, when you're crouching you'll punch treasure chests instead of kicking them. Since you can't kick while crouching.

Run at a chest barefoot while opening it and Link will stub his toes and hold his foot in pain as the chest opens.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Link is just not the sharpest of tools in the shed, is he.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

andipossess posted:

Makes sense, since apparently the ruins on the plateau match up pretty well with the Hyrule Castletown in Ocarina, including the path to the castle, which is replaced in this game with the "Eastern Abbey".

Edit:
Good times.
Just noticed that they apparently renamed "Hylia River" to "River of the Dead" and moved Hylia River elsewhere.

That's awesome.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've come to the conclusion there must be several types of Korok puzzles I don't even recognize as such. I have about 320 and I feel like, outside of Hyrule Castle, I've explored fairly thoroughly. I could see if I had even 320/500, but out of 900, I just... where can they be?

Either that or they've formed an army to storm the castle. This game is a completionist's nightmare. I found all the gold skulltulas in Ocarina, and all the Maiamai babies in ALBW, but there's just no way I'll even attempt this. I may not even get the 441 necessary to max out my inventory.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

andipossess posted:

Edit:
Good times.

The odd thing is first time I cam across those ruins, one of the sections outside the temple looked like it was a duplicate of the castle courtyard where you meet Zelda in OOT. I was half expecting to be able to figure out the location of the maze and castle entrance from that, although it didn't match the instant I walked outside that one room :smith:

The fact that there's still an overall OOT callback in there is :unsmith: though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The odd thing is first time I cam across those ruins, one of the sections outside the temple looked like it was a duplicate of the castle courtyard where you meet Zelda in OOT. I was half expecting to be able to figure out the location of the maze and castle entrance from that, although it didn't match the instant I walked outside that one room :smith:

I thought the same exact thing when I found that spot right at the start of the game. They obviously took some liberties when translating the area to BotW but it's a nice touch that even some of the additions are subtle callbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I've come to the conclusion there must be several types of Korok puzzles I don't even recognize as such. I have about 320 and I feel like, outside of Hyrule Castle, I've explored fairly thoroughly. I could see if I had even 320/500, but out of 900, I just... where can they be?

Either that or they've formed an army to storm the castle. This game is a completionist's nightmare. I found all the gold skulltulas in Ocarina, and all the Maiamai babies in ALBW, but there's just no way I'll even attempt this. I may not even get the 441 necessary to max out my inventory.

Its very very likely. There's a ton of different ways they hide Koroks and its easy to miss one or the other because you're running into other ones and you don't know what you don't know.

I wonder if there's a korok guide somewhere...