Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Avalerion posted:

I think it wouldn't hurt if mounting in mech mode made her eject, just without the explosion, and call mech going on it's usual cooldown.

That would actually hurt quite a lot, because it would make more people try to play pilot mode only dva. :v:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Do people still call all of the DOTA2 characters by their old names? I remember HoN being a nightmare for new players

Sometimes. I've barely seen anyone call Elder Titan "Tauren Chieftan" but a lot of people call Wraith King 'Skeleton King/Leoric', Prophet 'Furion'. Necrophos 'Necrolyte', Windranger 'Windrunner', Abyssal Underlord 'Pit Lord' and Outworld Devourer 'Obsidian Destroyer'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Do people still call all of the DOTA2 characters by their old names? I remember HoN being a nightmare for new players

Only some of them. some of them didn't have single, proper names in dota 1 (like antimage had a cycling set of names, including a pro player) or they had ridiculously long names so people just called them by the hero title. like nobody called venge by shendelzare.

Cuntellectual posted:

That would actually hurt quite a lot, because it would make more people try to play pilot mode only dva. :v:

Sometimes. I've barely seen anyone call Elder Titan "Tauren Chieftan" but a lot of people call Wraith King 'Skeleton King/Leoric', Prophet 'Furion'. Necrophos 'Necrolyte', Windranger 'Windrunner', Abyssal Underlord 'Pit Lord' and Outworld Devourer 'Obsidian Destroyer'.

you will pry my skeleton king and windrunner from my cold, dead hands. to be fair, those two are comparatively recent changes from when blizzard threatened legal action like a year or two ago.

you also forgot nevermore. :colbert:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Tips for hunting down enemy Abathurs? I've seen him be MVP one too many times because he has 0 deaths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's complicated in Dota because every hero has a name in addition to their title, like Furion is the character name for Prophet etc. And some of the heroes were just flat ripped out of other Blizzard games and anime.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ristolaz posted:

Tips for hunting down enemy Abathurs? I've seen him be MVP one too many times because he has 0 deaths.

Watch for locusts on the minimap, that'll tell you which lane he's closest to. Then look at the locust's remaining duration, you can triangulate how far away he is based on remaining duration and reversing the path it's taking.

There's also generally only a few spots that most Abathurs feel safe hiding in and you can check these first.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ristolaz posted:

Look for where his little dudes are coming from. Approach from the jungle so that you don't show up on the mini map. Wait for him to hat something so he's distracted.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's also generally only a few spots that most Abathurs feel safe hiding in and you can check these first.

When you play Abathur learn these spots and put mines in them, then sit somewhere completely unexpected.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Ristolaz posted:

Pay close attention to where their Lotus is coming from. Abas will try to gleen XP passively from clashing creep waves away from objectives and teamfights in nearby bush or behind walls surrounded by tumors as a early warning/trap.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's complicated in Dota because every hero has a name in addition to their title, like Furion is the character name for Prophet etc. And some of the heroes were just flat ripped out of other Blizzard games and anime.

HotS heroes have titles too. I just don't think anyone uses them. Except maybe for medic and monk. But Zeratul is probably Dark Prelate or some nerd poo poo.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Any comments on Rexxar? I'm having a gay old time with him but only having the D key to control Misha feels a little clunky. I'm also having this problem where I can't tell whether I'm simply making mistakes or said clunkiness is costing me kills/getting me killed/etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The best Abathur hunting is when you're Chromie with Timewalker's Pursuit and you get A Hunch and there he is! (and then you W him for 150% of his HP)

bamhand posted:

HotS heroes have titles too. I just don't think anyone uses them. Except maybe for medic and monk.

This poo poo pisses me off and I can't put my finger on why.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Rexxar owns. His talents are pretty obvious imo.

1: swoop does more dmg to creeps
4: health regen quest (the max hp one is a noob trap)
7: swoop range and mana return on hero hit
10: boars
13: burning bear
16: movespeed on auto
20: bear attacks slow

The 7 talent solves all of his mana issues and allows you to pump DPS, have some ranged poke, and improves your waveclear. Other people like the stun cooldown talent but I find the damage, mana, and range much more useful. It allows you to kite people who chase you as well.

You can control your bear with d and w while channeling objectives.

You can effectively solopush because your bear can tank keep hits (if that's a thing) AND you can insta-clear waves with swoop+burning bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Who the gently caress is baratherum stop calling out that name you geek

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

exquisite tea posted:

Remember to join discord so that instead of losing team games in a disorganized fashion, you can still lose games while listening to the quivering voices of nasal manlets as they become frustrated by their little man dying.

I have Brightwing announcer, Gazlowe is the next one I should get right? Are there any other announcers on the same tier as them?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I am a literal idiot and didn't even think about body soak holy poo poo.

Symbiote counts as a body that grants XP when minions die in range. Last-hitting with mines or locusts also grants XP.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Welcome bundle a good deal?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Hero of your choice + 7-day stimpack, 3 lootboxes w/ one guaranteeing an epic and another guaranteeing a hero?

Yeah it's a fairly reasonable deal for 5 bucks.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

DNK posted:

Rexxar owns. His talents are pretty obvious imo.

1: swoop does more dmg to creeps
4: health regen quest (the max hp one is a noob trap)
7: swoop range and mana return on hero hit
10: boars
13: burning bear
16: movespeed on auto
20: bear attacks slow

The 7 talent solves all of his mana issues and allows you to pump DPS, have some ranged poke, and improves your waveclear. Other people like the stun cooldown talent but I find the damage, mana, and range much more useful. It allows you to kite people who chase you as well.

You can control your bear with d and w while channeling objectives.

You can effectively solopush because your bear can tank keep hits (if that's a thing) AND you can insta-clear waves with swoop+burning bear.

I'm def glad there's another Rexxar player out there but I totally disagree on the talents. Q has always felt super underwhelming and has a very thin radius so I mostly ignore it save for when I need to slow. Most of my talents revolve around making Misha more powerful and making her W stun better since it's extremely powerful and people always underestimate it.

1: Easy Prey/Flare
4: Armor (75% is a shitton)
7: W CD reduction
10: Bestial Wrath
13: Wildfire Bear
16: Thrill of the Hunt
20: Basic attack dmg+ & slow

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Semper Fudge posted:

Hero of your choice + 7-day stimpack, 3 lootboxes w/ one guaranteeing an epic and another guaranteeing a hero?

Yeah it's a fairly reasonable deal for 5 bucks.

Wait, it's only five bucks? Holy poo poo, that's a great deal.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Ristolaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr88ssO8Ifo

Unrelatedly, I've been watching streamers who are new to HOTS, and watching them realize what Leoric does is priceless :allears:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I'll never get tired of watching that clip

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
You get to choose the hero? It says it's random. I assumed if you already had whatever hero it rolled, you'd just get shards

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

You get to choose the hero? It says it's random. I assumed if you already had whatever hero it rolled, you'd just get shards

you get enough gems to cover a hero

I bought it, the welcome box with the random hero seems to be weighted toward low-value heroes. rerolled it fully (because dupes), got rare heroes every time.

now the proud owner of 1 gazlowe, however

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Get Innocuous! posted:

I'm def glad there's another Rexxar player out there but I totally disagree on the talents. Q has always felt super underwhelming and has a very thin radius so I mostly ignore it save for when I need to slow. Most of my talents revolve around making Misha more powerful and making her W stun better since it's extremely powerful and people always underestimate it.

His level 1 talent that buffs his Q causes it to one-shot ranged minions and get the melee low enough to die to 1 auto. It's extremely good as a line-attack spell since the minions come at you in a line and often form big lines. You can clear a lane as fast as you can walk down it once you get burning bear. It's extremely powerful and puts Rexxar in Sylvanas pushing tier.

Flare is cool but kinda unnecessary considering he has Misha to scout around.

I'm not gonna hate on the armor talent. It's for sure useful.

Bestial Wrath is so lackluster though. Misha dies fast to focus fire (regardless of talents) and it turns her autos from 100 to 250 -- about once every 1.1 seconds. It's worse than the burning bear passive talent (which is amazing, granted). The boars aren't AMAZING but it's a solid 300 magic damage that reveals and slows without any conditional bullshit.

The 7 talent that causes swoop to return mana + range + cooldown really makes him into a DPS + battlefield controller without requiring Misha to stay alive (which can be problematic). I highly suggest trying it out. Landing your swoop skill shots is incredibly important.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Get Innocuous! posted:

I don't like Easy Prey, I find Rexxar is too slow at solo camping for it to be worthwhile even if it is completely mana/health free. Both the other level 1s are good.
All the level 4s are good in the right situation with the caveat being that Animal Husbandry is not worth taking unless they have no dive AND you have really good positioning.
I always take W cd on 7, but ai need to experiment more with the others.
10 is boars. Full stop.
13 is again your choice, damage on stun is good with the 7 stun talent. Aspect of the hawk shits out damage. Wildfire is also good.
16 is Thrill or Feign Death. Feign Death is particularly good if you took Animal Husbandry.
20 root on boats is real good. Frenzy and Hardened Skin are also good. Bear ult upgrade is bad.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

p-hop posted:

I have Brightwing announcer, Gazlowe is the next one I should get right? Are there any other announcers on the same tier as them?

Related question: how good is the DVa announcer?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Oh Snapple! posted:

you get enough gems to cover a hero

I bought it, the welcome box with the random hero seems to be weighted toward low-value heroes. rerolled it fully (because dupes), got rare heroes every time.

now the proud owner of 1 gazlowe, however

i got greymane out of mine so it can have higher value ones too.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

i got greymane out of mine so it can have higher value ones too.

Yeah, I saw similar reports on reddit. I think it just amounts to the cheaper value ones being more likely - seems to essentially be a rare lootbox.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm not saying these are the best talents, but why play Rexxar if not to stand back and laugh as Misha mauls squishies:

1. Easy Prey for thematic consistency
4. Hungry Bear
7. Aspect of the Beast
10. Bestial Wrath
13. Dire Beast
16. Thrill of the Hunt
20. Spirit Bond

(I may have been traumatized by the early Bestial Wrath days in WoW)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The worst people are the ones who call out their 'real names', I'm pretty sure I have actually slapped a friend irl for constantly doing that to annoy new people. Don't be a oval office, how is this such a hard concept to grasp.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Decided to try the boars on Rexxar just now since someone mentioned it and that is probably the single shittiest talent pick on Rexxar drat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Related question: how good is the DVa announcer?

Actually kind of just sort of okay, which is a bit disappointing. She's not as sassy as her Starcraft 2 announcer pack imo. Gazlowe remains the uncontested A-number-one announcer for the foreseeable future.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Trip report for the FTP heroes for this week that I hadn't tried before:

Played Illidan, and instantly became a douchebag who runs in and dies all the time. I got the hang a little towards the end, but man, he is a hero who is difficult to keep alive but required to stay in close range.

Sonya-It was awesome to whirl around all over the place. Took the talents that gave increased whirlwind healing, had a good time.

Murky: Ran around a lot, died quickly, hit some dudes with a puffer fish. Did not realize that Bribe only affected one guy in the camp per charge. I guess playing against aware players they could make your life difficult by tracking down the egg, but I don't know why you'd bother

Raynor: So, you just kinda stand at long range and plink people, and sometimes use the skillshot? The battleship was cool, and I guess the team attack speed boost could be good depending on your composition.

EDIT: Forgot about Le Ming. Magic Missile and Arcane Orb seem cool, I didn't really know what to do with the teleport. Laser ult was excellent, especially with the slow effect.

Still haven't gotten to try Arthas, Kerrigan, or Sylvanas, who seem kind of iconic?

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 24, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

von Metternich posted:

Murky: Ran around a lot, died quickly, hit some dudes with a puffer fish. Did not realize that Bribe only affected one guy in the camp per charge. I guess playing against aware players they could make your life difficult by tracking down the egg, but I don't know why you'd bother

If you're really concerned about losing your egg you can take the Egg Hunt talent at level 1 which lets you place multiple fake eggs and generally once people know you've taken that talent they tend to give up hunting your egg down if you're good about not leading them back to your real one by making it obvious where you spawned from. On the other hand, this costs you your ability to take the bribe talent which is pretty useful depending on the map. There are a lot of little nooks and crannies you can find to hide eggs in and once you get familiar with those it becomes easier to be aggressive with your egg placement.

quote:

EDIT: Forgot about Le Ming. Magic Missile and Arcane Orb seem cool, I didn't really know what to do with the teleport. Laser ult was excellent, especially with the slow effect.

Teleport is either your panic button to get the gently caress out of dodge or you take the talent that makes it so it does damage at the point you teleport to and use it as part of your extended QWER combo.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh man Suppression Pulse against Taz'dingo just feels mean. Blasting him from across the map and he stands there flailing for 4 seconds and then dead

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Should I buy DVa with gold or gems I don't know the relative value, I mean I have like 50k gold so I'm feeling like I should just use that and save gems for a future pack of chests.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rexxar's popular talents sure has changed

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

beejay posted:

Should I buy DVa with gold or gems I don't know the relative value, I mean I have like 50k gold so I'm feeling like I should just use that and save gems for a future pack of chests.

Wait another week, then gold.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Also Magic The Gathering!

bamhand posted:

HotS heroes have titles too. I just don't think anyone uses them. Except maybe for medic and monk. But Zeratul is probably Dark Prelate or some nerd poo poo.

You very well know what it is, don't pretend otherwise. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

4 warriors against 2 assassins a warrior and chogall. Okay I guess? Seems weird to end up there