Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Nerses IV posted:

Remember the last time the shooter was white, and people were like "that's weird, why were all the victims at this mosque shooting men?" and it turned out mosques have a special loving segregated floor for the loving women lmao

When I was taking a world religions course in college the professor offered extra credit if we went to go tour the local mosque and write about our experience. Any women who tried were made to stand in a corner while the men they were with went on a tour and they had to wait until they were done or wait outside.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agag posted:

You need a baseline set of resources to go on a killing spree. Without that middle class economic background its impossible.

Correct

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
mooslemen hate women

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

When I was taking a world religions course in college the professor offered extra credit if we went to go tour the local mosque and write about our experience. Any women who tried were made to stand in a corner while the men they were with went on a tour and they had to wait until they were done or wait outside.

lol

This is a thing that started getting really popular in the 80's when the Saudis started pouring money into Sunni mosques around the world. Pretty hosed up IMO.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agag posted:

Because she's a proven fraud

How so?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rezatahs posted:

mooslemen hate women

Not all musselmen. Personally, I love women

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

She became an apostate!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

She became an apostate!

And married a white man!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Secular Humanist posted:

I know my av confuses things sometimes but I *am* a liberal just fyi. And it's not that I think american conservatism is more supportive in a genuine sense, but they do kind of end up being the supportive party from the perspective of muslim reformers. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is relegated to fox news for some mind boggling reason. Liberals have seemingly left her out in the cold, meanwhile bernie is tweeting about "standing with linda", who has publically smeared virtually every reform muslim with any influence in western media, while singing the praises of sharia law no less. Both sides are confused on Islam and the reason I'm hard on the left is because they're the ones actively supporting the worst elements of it (usually, probably always, unwittingly). The left has no balls to speak honestly about it, so it creates a vacuum for genuine anti-muslim biggots like pam gellar to swoop in and kick the fear mongering into full gear.
yeah i agree and think that liberal orgs like the SPLC including reformers like ayaan hirsi ali and maajid nawaz on the list of "anti-muslim extremists" is ridiculous. and the result is that it does what you say it does.

i disagree with nawaz though, because i think a society can only be truly liberal if it allows individuals to express their own illiberalism (as long as it's legal). and if we must tolerate illiberal versions of political expressions (say with self-described communists or fascists) then we should also tolerate religious versions. so sam harris saying that a liberal society should force people to be liberal / secular -- that often doesn't work out very well.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

You can google that poo poo but in short half of her biography is a lie and she lied to get citizenship in the Netherlands and when she was exposed rather than duke it out there legally she moved to the US where she could find a fresh bunch of marks.

She's done really well by it, can't fault her for a solid grift.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

I know my av confuses things sometimes but I *am* a liberal just fyi. And it's not that I think american conservatism is more supportive in a genuine sense, but they do kind of end up being the supportive party from the perspective of muslim reformers. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is relegated to fox news for some mind boggling reason. Liberals have seemingly left her out in the cold, meanwhile bernie is tweeting about "standing with linda", who has publically smeared virtually every reform muslim with any influence in western media, while singing the praises of sharia law no less. Both sides are confused on Islam and the reason I'm hard on the left is because they're the ones actively supporting the worst elements of it (usually, probably always, unwittingly). The left has no balls to speak honestly about it, so it creates a vacuum for genuine anti-muslim biggots like pam gellar to swoop in and kick the fear mongering into full gear.

there is a body count high enough that will reverse the above eventually, it is inevitable. we are getting close, even 1 year ago having a frank discussion about it in gbs would be met with 10 people swooping in to call everyone a racist

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

100 years ago they would have been communists or labor activists but unfortunately communism and indeed any sort of communal action has been so throougly attacked and killed in absentia in the American psyche that it's almost impossible for these people to find an ideology and organize to express their outrage constructively. because that's all hippie poo poo and the powers that be who control the media have worked hard to make sure the popular movements of the 60s and 70s won't happen again.

200 years ago they would have been John Brown

or they might have been Howard Unruh or Andrew Kehoe

I'm not discounting the narrative you're advancing, but you probably should consider whether much of the perceived difference is simply due to population size and media effects

there are also probably other social changes to consider as well- i.e. the average level of social violence many people would experience and socially accept in the late 19th and early 20th centuries is very out of line with modern expectations

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agag posted:

You can google that poo poo but in short half of her biography is a lie and she lied to get citizenship in the Netherlands and when she was exposed rather than duke it out there legally she moved to the US where she could find a fresh bunch of marks.

She's done really well by it, can't fault her for a solid grift.

Wow.

Ok, I googled it and it says that she isn't a fraud and that she's totally legit.

I guess you just googled wrong. :shrug:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah i agree and think that liberal orgs like the SPLC including reformers like ayaan hirsi ali and maajid nawaz on the list of "anti-muslim extremists" is ridiculous. and the result is that it does what you say it does.

i disagree with nawaz though, because i think a society can only be truly liberal if it allows individuals to express their own illiberalism (as long as it's legal). and if we must tolerate illiberal versions of political expressions (say with self-described communists or fascists) then we should also tolerate religious versions. so sam harris saying that a liberal society should force people to be liberal / secular -- that often doesn't work out very well.

Ali literally said Islam needs to be destroyed. Nawaz owes his whole career to Sam Harris, who thinks Islam needs to be destroyed for science.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I googled it and it says that she isn't a fraud and that she's totally legit.

Cool, man. Everybody wins.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

Ali literally said Islam needs to be destroyed. Nawaz owes his whole career to Sam Harris, who thinks Islam needs to be destroyed for science.

Maybe it's like how Death to America, Death to Israel, Death to Jews etc doesn't actually mean all that stuff, but rather is speaking metaphorically

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agag posted:

Islam needs to be destroyed.

True. But only the parts that don't conform to western standards.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

Death to America, Death to Israel, Death to Jews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmw7VbegrNs

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Morrissey posted:

Celebrating my birthday in Manchester as news of the Manchester Arena bomb broke. The anger is monumental.
For what reason will this ever stop?
Theresa May says such attacks "will not break us", but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people today in Manchester morgues. Also, "will not break us" means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies on immigration. The young people of Manchester are already broken - thanks all the same, Theresa. Sadiq Khan says "London is united with Manchester", but he does not condemn Islamic State - who have claimed responsibility for the bomb. The Queen receives absurd praise for her 'strong words' against the attack, yet she does not cancel today's garden party at Buckingham Palace - for which no criticism is allowed in the Britain of free press. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an "extremist". An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?
In modern Britain everyone seems petrified to officially say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims. How easy to be unafraid when one is protected from the line of fire. The people have no such protections.

Morrissey

23 May 2017.

Morrissey you card

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

Maybe it's like how Death to America, Death to Israel, Death to Jews etc doesn't actually mean all that stuff, but rather is speaking metaphorically

Pretty sure SPLC also has a list of people who say "death to Jews."

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

True. But only the parts that don't conform to western standards.

Sounds easy.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

Pretty sure SPLC also has a list of people who say "death to Jews."

And I'm pretty sure your best pals Hezbollah are on it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nerses IV posted:

Death to America, Death to Israel

Stay out of my posting history

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

And I'm pretty sure your best pals Hezbollah are on it

At least keep it in Southern Lebanon.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Nawaz is a pretty big free speech guy, though - I can even recall him defending that nut Anjem Choudary on a legal basis. He's very much about "intellectually destroy Islamism (which is separate from "Islam")" as a thing - take it or leave it - but I haven't really heard him say to shut down wacky Islamist groups in Britain and stuff.

I've read some of Shadi Hamid's responses to Nawaz's framework, which is in line with what you seem to be saying fwiw, it's an interesting argument - though I'm very much on the outside of it. The term "Islamism" itself seems to have gotten much more of a foothold in the dialogue in the past few years, which seems good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Agag posted:

Sounds easy.

It's getting easier.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What i find really shocking and discussing is the invasion DnD posters not willing to condemn the terrorist attack in manchester.

12 and 8 year old blown to bits...
How can you defend this?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
As always Moz is right about everything

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

How can you defend this?

Leftists will find a way. Until we can get rid of them in Trump's second term.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agag posted:

ayaan hirsi ali is obnoxious and says crazy poo poo all the time. i don't think any muslims listen to her despite her promotional image as some leading figure. but casting her out so she only appears on The Blaze or wherever isn't going to help. she's just going to find a ready audience of people who will never challenge her.

The Landstander posted:

Nawaz is a pretty big free speech guy, though - I can even recall him defending that nut Anjem Choudary on a legal basis. He's very much about "intellectually destroy Islamism (which is separate from "Islam")" as a thing - take it or leave it - but I haven't really heard him say to shut down wacky Islamist groups in Britain and stuff.

I've read some of Shadi Hamid's responses to Nawaz's framework, which is in line with what you seem to be saying fwiw, it's an interesting argument - though I'm very much on the outside of it. The term "Islamism" itself seems to have gotten much more of a foothold in the dialogue in the past few years, which seems good.
ah i stand corrected. looks like nawaz opposes burka bans, as well. that's cool.

and yeah i've deffo been reading shadi hamid -- you spotted it

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 23, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My FB is literally full of idiots saying "Welp, this stuff happens. There's really nothing you can do."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

What i find really shocking and discussing is the invasion DnD posters not willing to condemn the terrorist attack in manchester.

How can you defend this?

Blood for the blood god

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

How can you defend this?

Trump did it better imo.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Why don't the families buy lottery tickets? Someone always says "you're more likely to win the lottery than be a victim of a terrorist attack" so they should get in while the odds are in their favor

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christ, I've been by the MEN Arena so many times on the bus

I can relate, I live near that sea lion who tried to eat the Chinese girl.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rket4xvu_ac

:eyepop:

UK, sort yourselves out mate.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

How can you defend this?

Who is defending that, SD?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

My FB is literally full of idiots saying "Welp, this stuff happens. There's really nothing you can do."

Pretty wise for FB.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

So that's what chavs grow up to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
All Morrissey is saying is you have to make sure you only "let the right one in"

• Locked thread