Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Artificer posted:

Brawling never left. But it is the roughest time for it now.

Brawling crushes now. The Victor 9S can just roll in and fight an entire lance solo and still net a kill before they take it down. Multiple victors can just wipe up a team easily. Most of the gunboat mechs that dominated with PPFLD pilot like barges now, and you can just run them over with the faster, more armored brawlers that are running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Artificer posted:

Brawling never left. But it is the roughest time for it now.

Brawling is extremely good after the skill tree changes ya drat buffoon!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've had mixed results in my atlases. If you engage at the right time and the right place, it works. If not, you're screwed (still doing a couple hundred damage maybe).

So, brawling.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
To be more constructive, since most of the quirks for brawling specific weapons were removed from mechs now you can choose a reliably tough + mobile chassis and give your brawling weapons loads of quirks from the firepower tree. Or if the chassis you're using has one of the baseline weapon quirks you can go into survival and just become way tougher. The mobility changes also mean people overextend way too much now. Brawling in a medium mech is the best it's ever been now since I've started playing the game.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Brawling is back? How are lights now - specifically the Huggin, cheater, and RVN 2X? Should I reinstall if I love medium mech brawl fests?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Well I stand corrected then.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Commoners posted:

Brawling crushes now. The Victor 9S can just roll in and fight an entire lance solo and still net a kill before they take it down. Multiple victors can just wipe up a team easily. Most of the gunboat mechs that dominated with PPFLD pilot like barges now, and you can just run them over with the faster, more armored brawlers that are running around.

What do you like for skills on yours? Armor, firepower, mobility?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Any advice for a brawler TImberwolf and/or Mad Dog? I like slightly snowflake-y builds. Something kinda like this maybe?

Unrelated, this is my favourite comment ever from r/reacharoundHPG:

quote:

Honestly, as I got older (20s) I found the lore plotlines less and less convincing. It was impossible to conceive that a faction was that incompetent.

But then, as I got even older (30s) and started reading much more in depth about history, I discovered that things just as stupid as in Battletech happen all the time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i logged in, fiddled with four different skill trees, played a couple matches and realized this is the same game, logged out again

that's my trip report hope you enjoyed it

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

Any advice for a brawler TImberwolf and/or Mad Dog? I like slightly snowflake-y builds. Something kinda like this maybe?

TBR (you can use any chassis except the ones with the built-in JJ for this build): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=270&l=2658b23dc8ef0ce1176dcd52900034a04a05765b
MAD DOG: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=214&l=6d22ccf34b78d268e01e885a32d2cd16c03fdc95

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The TBR and MDD builds linked above are the correct ones. If you build the MDD, make sure you use the MDD-C arms, it's important because they get like 20 free armor each, and make better shields than you'd think.

If you're looking for some, uh, less traditional Mad Dog brawler builds, I will swear by this one, which is pretty much just a fast Atlas that doesn't get focus fired. I have had a lot of success with that mech, and most people don't really know how to react to it before they're dead because it's such a non-traditional loadout.

Rape Stink posted:

Brawling is back? How are lights now - specifically the Huggin, cheater, and RVN 2X? Should I reinstall if I love medium mech brawl fests?

Most light brawlers aren't that great. The Javelin seems okay, the Cheetah is about what it used to be, the Locust is dead. The Ravens in particular got hit hard and are all pretty poo poo now- the 2X and 4X lost most of their quirks, Huggin is still not very good. The only Raven that didn't really get nerfed this patch is the 3L, which lost a 5% laser duration quirk and now has the same paltry mobility stats as the 2X, slightly worse than the 4X.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The TBR-prime with 2 srm 6s and all the MPLs you can find seems to work pretty well, but i want to test an Lbx in it too.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

TjyvTompa posted:

TBR (you can use any chassis except the ones with the built-in JJ for this build): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=270&l=2658b23dc8ef0ce1176dcd52900034a04a05765b

I don't think the TBR makes a good AC Brawler. The Clan LBX-20 spreads its damage too much, and the weight is difficult to fit. I much prefer the 4SPL version. It has similar alpha and cooling, but with much better pinpoint. Whatever build you go with, do make sure you have a Jump Jet in there somewhere. This mech needs a JJ to assist with turns and general mobility. The TBR-S CT is ideal but go with the S side torso if you lack the base variant.

As for a skill tree, this is what I settled on. The build runs cold enough that double Cool Shot and a heavy investment in Firepower compensate for the lack of points in the Ops tree, and you need those points elsewhere in order to make this mech work. The sluggish base mobility demands a considerable amount of Mobility nodes, and since it's a Brawler the survival tree is mandatory.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 23, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The meta build is 4ASRM6 and SPLs but the 4ASRM6 and LB20/UAC20 is more fun and probably better against pubbies.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
is there some kind of "good builds" webpage that is up to date? because trying not to gently caress up a build is my least favourite thing in this game. I just want to fight.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Well I do like fighting at close range cuz they're easier to hit there, maybe I'll play some more of this.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

starkebn posted:

is there some kind of "good builds" webpage that is up to date? because trying not to gently caress up a build is my least favourite thing in this game. I just want to fight.

make your own builds
fight how you like

Come on that's like the best part of Battletech games.

There's this http://metamechs.com/ It is pretty good but you should use it as a guideline.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Artificer posted:

make your own builds
fight how you like

Come on that's like the best part of Battletech games.

There's this http://metamechs.com/ It is pretty good but you should use it as a guideline.

I just said it's the worst part to me, I just want something to build and then fight with. It's no good "building how you like" when you've got the wrong chassis / perks / heat fuckery / weapons blah blah blah.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

starkebn posted:

I just said it's the worst part to me, I just want something to build and then fight with. It's no good "building how you like" when you've got the wrong chassis / perks / heat fuckery / weapons blah blah blah.

You say this like there isn't a glorious joy in building an unarmored lrm locust and running around making GBS threads on pubbies in an unequivocally awful mech

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
3 machine guns in an atlas, just pissing rounds everywhere.

Big gunboat.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

You say this like there isn't a glorious joy in building an unarmored lrm locust and running around making GBS threads on pubbies in an unequivocally awful mech

no, that's just the difference between sometimes wanting to gently caress around and sometimes wanting to feel like you can contribute

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

starkebn posted:

I liken it to drafting in a TCG. It's all well and good to say "game knowledge and deck-building are half the fun!" but when you're not confident in either of those things, it's a considerable source of stress wondering about all the things you're loving up out of ignorance.

Metamechs is pretty good and probably the best general reference, but as Artificer said, it's more of a guideline. Doubly so since the game just underwent a major shakeup and people are still sussing out what's good and what isn't.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

3 machine guns in an atlas, just pissing rounds everywhere.

Big gunboat.

If the Cent AH is still any good, 3x MG's, 3x ASRM4's, run around driving pubbies mad as you solo Kodiaks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

I liken it to drafting in a TCG. It's all well and good to say "game knowledge and deck-building are half the fun!" but when you're not confident in either of those things, it's a considerable source of stress wondering about all the things you're loving up out of ignorance.

pretty good analogy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

armchairyoda posted:

If the Cent AH is still any good, 3x MG's, 3x ASRM4's, run around driving pubbies mad as you solo Kodiaks.

I'm more of a fan of the -A. 3xSRM6, 2xML. If your side torsos get blown off you can run around shooting beams outta your belly, and it packs a hell of a punch.

I also like the shadow hawk 2D2 with 4xSRM4, 2xML. It'll eat your rear end off if you're not careful.

I don't really see the utility in artemis on srm4s, the grouping is already pretty drat tight. Is it really worth it?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ASRM4s aren't a great use of weight over SRM4s, but sometimes you have no better way to spend those tons and they're better than SRM6s for sure.

That said, the machinegun -AH can comfortably equip 3x ASRM6 so that's probably what armchairyoda meant.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah, i see. That makes more sense.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SRM4s aren't really the hot poo poo they used to be ever since the spread nerf. Someone did some testing post-spread on 4s and found that 6s both do more damage in general and also put more damage on the aimed component, killing faster. The extra 50% payload more than makes up for it. Obviously artemis tightens the spread but if it's a choice between ASRM4s and 6s you're usually better off with 6s.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

NihilCredo posted:

ASRM4s aren't a great use of weight over SRM4s, but sometimes you have no better way to spend those tons and they're better than SRM6s for sure.

That said, the machinegun -AH can comfortably equip 3x ASRM6 so that's probably what armchairyoda meant.

No. The rof/heat on 4's is (was) way better for charging into full lances and taking on stupid-large robots. And the grouping was better. Also, I played like a crazy person.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
My Cicadas feel immortal now, which is wrong.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

aniviron posted:

SRM4s aren't really the hot poo poo they used to be ever since the spread nerf. Someone did some testing post-spread on 4s and found that 6s both do more damage in general and also put more damage on the aimed component, killing faster. The extra 50% payload more than makes up for it. Obviously artemis tightens the spread but if it's a choice between ASRM4s and 6s you're usually better off with 6s.

Didn't see this post, and it makes me sad. :smith:

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

NihilCredo posted:

My Cent-AH runs this build with 3xMG/3x ASRM6 and it wreck face before the skill tree and after. The only thing it suffers from now is the lack of the easy Radar Dep module, so having to spread some points to get some coverage sucks but is managable. Ive had most of my best games in this mech and with this loadout.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Buschmaki posted:

Someone just told me they're quitting the game because the skill tree buffed brawling and they're angry they're getting killed at close range. What is with the people who play this game.

they are bad, friend

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think the TBR makes a good AC Brawler. The Clan LBX-20 spreads its damage too much, and the weight is difficult to fit. I much prefer the 4SPL version. It has similar alpha and cooling, but with much better pinpoint. Whatever build you go with, do make sure you have a Jump Jet in there somewhere. This mech needs a JJ to assist with turns and general mobility. The TBR-S CT is ideal but go with the S side torso if you lack the base variant.

A brawling TBR definitely do not need JJs, what would you use them for in a brawl? The LBX does not spread damage as bad as before with the new -LBX Spread quirks and since you only fire within 300 meters it doesn't matter anyway. The 4SRM6, 4SPL TBR is deprecated grampa, get with the times, LBX is the new hotness.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The only advantage LBXs have is that they don't have ghost heat. You're better off taking a UAC 20 or UAC 10 over an LBX any time. They do spread damage massively even with -10% spread.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While I personally prefer the UAC20, the LB20 does have a significant advantage you don't mention: the UAC20 (and SPLs for that matter) have a non-zero facetime amount where you have to stare at your enemy while you aim. The LB20 pairs nicely with the SRMs in that you can turn, click, and never stop turning to spread damage while still landing it where it's supposed to go.

But for clan 20-class autocannons it's tough to beat the potential for devastation that a 40-damage weapon will bring to the table, imo. You just have to play smart enough to know you'll be able to back off when it jams.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

aniviron posted:

While I personally prefer the UAC20, the LB20 does have a significant advantage you don't mention: the UAC20 (and SPLs for that matter) have a non-zero facetime amount where you have to stare at your enemy while you aim. The LB20 pairs nicely with the SRMs in that you can turn, click, and never stop turning to spread damage while still landing it where it's supposed to go.

But for clan 20-class autocannons it's tough to beat the potential for devastation that a 40-damage weapon will bring to the table, imo. You just have to play smart enough to know you'll be able to back off when it jams.

Not to mention that it's nice as a brawler to have the ability to fire a weapon and hit people while you close into SPL range.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=394&l=cf9b6bfb115d7f3992480f23208012bb5c2df496

I'm running this right now and it's pretty hilarious. You used to need a big engine for the agility, but now the archer is pretty agile and doesn't really need the speed. It runs hot as gently caress though.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 24, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

The only advantage LBXs have is that they don't have ghost heat. You're better off taking a UAC 20 or UAC 10 over an LBX any time. They do spread damage massively even with -10% spread.

You are forgetting the coolness factor, a LBX is at least twice as cool as the same size UAC. Same with camos, the flame camo makes your mech better, fact.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

Not to mention that it's nice as a brawler to have the ability to fire a weapon and hit people while you close into SPL range.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=394&l=cf9b6bfb115d7f3992480f23208012bb5c2df496

I'm running this right now and it's pretty hilarious. You used to need a big engine for the agility, but now the archer is pretty agile and doesn't really need the speed. It runs hot as gently caress though.

The archer is huge, a goddamn barn door. I can't believe you would recommend this mech.

*sees it has 9 missile slots*

The Archer ARC-5W is the premium brawling mech for the new generation, anyone serious about playing MWO has to own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Throwing artemis onto it is a huge gimmick and it's a pretty big liability, but running a std 290 with 9 SRM4s runs pretty drat cool and can also shred other mechs. It's best against assaults where the missile spread from its hard points doesn't matter as much, but it can brutalize anything that isn't a tiny light.

• Locked thread