Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Audax posted:

Rebuild your audio cache. Type the following into the console:

snd_updateaudiocache
snd_rebuildaudiocache

I'm not sure if it changed anything or not for me, but thanks!

My 4th game was interesting:

First crop there is right after the warmup ended. They decided I'm haxor really early and even though we lost they were upset til the end.

Played 4 games today, only won third one and got a rank - Silver 3, woah! I wasn't even that lowly ranked when I started playing competitive for first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I had the same problem! I had to change the refresh rate of my monitor in the windows settings. On 59 Hz it kept crashing when I al+tabbed, setting it to 60 Hz fixed that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have a imac 5k and for some reason I can't shift tab. It tells me to allow it permissions so I do, and it still doesn't let me. So I can't respond to messages or invites or whatever.

Any idea how to fix this? It just randomly started to do it.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SinineSiil posted:

I'm not sure if it changed anything or not for me, but thanks!

My 4th game was interesting: pictures
First crop there is right after the warmup ended. They decided I'm haxor really early and even though we lost they were upset til the end.

Played 4 games today, only won third one and got a rank - Silver 3, woah! I wasn't even that lowly ranked when I started playing competitive for first time.

Oh my god. Almost the exact same thing happened to me.
Didn't play for a long rear end time. Came back, get called a hacker repeatedly. Then got placed in silver 3.

How dumb do these people have to be to think that a legit silver is hacking?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Anyone better than you is hacking, duh

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

why cant i get above silver elite its been weeks

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Sounds like you need to work on knowing your map calls better.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
Buy more skins imo

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Lower your sens

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

Be less aggressive/take more initiative.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Everything you do is wrong

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Watch some professional player streaming the game. Then look at a demo of you playing on the same map. The difference between you isn't just that he has far superior reaction times.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Goofballs posted:

Watch some professional player streaming the game. Then look at a demo of you playing on the same map. The difference between you isn't just that he has far superior reaction times.

Yeah, the pro player's team isn't baiting him every single round!!!!!!!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 22, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Unless he's playing with happy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, the pro player's team isn't baiting him every single round!!!!!!!

Man we were on a 3v1 on cache, both sites clear and the bomb guy was hanging around T spawn. Eventually we yell at him to come to A, so he gets there with like 5 seconds left. I hear him start to plant the bomb, then see him run away and we lose the round. The CTs couldn't understand what happened.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh, I think I like comp mode? But only in like... small doses (read: 2-3 matches). It got me to use the UMP-45 and Five-Seven more, plus some poo poo about burst-firing everything while crouched.

Anything else I need to learn before getting my rank?

Also here have an unboxed skin I might sell to get more case time in.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

widespread posted:

So uh, I think I like comp mode? But only in like... small doses (read: 2-3 matches). It got me to use the UMP-45 and Five-Seven more, plus some poo poo about burst-firing everything while crouched.

don't open cases unless you have more money than sense, in which case, go buy a sports car instead to make your dick bigger.

Don't crouch, burst-fire almost always and 420 smoke mid erry day.

Also, flash your teammates always, they like it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Learning that buying a p250 every terrorist round where I need my pistol is a good lesson. That thing loving owns.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i wonder if theyll ever fix the tec9

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
I kinda miss dust2, but not enough to join the exclusive dust2 queue

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I actually came to the conclusion that I don't miss dust2 this weekend. If it doesn't come back with some major changes (removed skybox at least) then it's a loving waste of a remake.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

widespread posted:

Don't crouch. As a new person you don't want to develop this habit, simply because most people your rank aren't aiming at the head anyway, so effectively you're upping your chances of getting 1 tapped.

Learn about crosshair placement.

Check back in 1,000 more hours.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kwilty posted:

Supremely hosed up but true. At that point you'll also probably realise you'll need another couple of thousand hours to have mastered the very basics.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

widespread posted:

We also seem to be getting an influx of pretty new players on sub.io when there's a game up so check that out also.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Supremely hosed up but true. At that point you'll also probably realise you'll need another couple of thousand hours to have mastered the very basics.

This. Approaching 1k hours on my account and I still forget to go straight for the head but my crosshairs placement has gotten better. Now nearly the level it needs to be but there.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Soulex posted:

Now nearly the level it needs to be but there.

probably not.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kwilty posted:

Don't crouch. As a new person you don't want to develop this habit, simply because most people your rank aren't aiming at the head anyway, so effectively you're upping your chances of getting 1 tapped.

Learn about crosshair placement.

Crosshair placement? That why some people swear by low sens? I mean I understand why and all but like, I tend to be one of those that don't aim for the head even with a Five-Seven on Eco.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

widespread posted:

Crosshair placement? That why some people swear by low sens? I mean I understand why and all but like, I tend to be one of those that don't aim for the head even with a Five-Seven on Eco.

Crosshair placement means while you're playing keep your crosshair where you think it'll need to be to shoot the next dud eyou have to shoot so you don't have to move your mouse as much before shooting. This means keeping it head height, usually near the corner or exit you think they will come out of. Try a pre-fire version of some of the official mm maps, and see where you have to hold your crosshair to be able to just click to kill people, instead of having to flick.

It doesn't have a ton to do with sensitivity per se. Low sensitivities are just better because they usually make you more consistent and accurate.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If you have a high sens and you point at a corner and the guy pops out and you have to adjust the chances are you overshoot where you should be even with a small movement of the mouse because of the high sensitivity. Making the correct adjustment with a lower sens is just easier because the same small mouse movement leads to a smaller adjustment and given that its counterstrike and not quake 3 or unreal tournament the trade off in your capacity to do an easy 180 and adjust to some guy behind you is worth it.

There are a lot of videos about good crosshair placement that show you it in practice. The one thing I can't remember any video giving enough time to was not sticking your crosshair exactly to the wall because for normal slow brain players like us the target is going to move a little before you can react to where they appear so when your crosshair is a little wide of the wall or whatnot you are probably making the adjustment you have to make even smaller and its at roughly where they are when you are reacting.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Goofballs posted:

There are a lot of videos about good crosshair placement that show you it in practice. The one thing I can't remember any video giving enough time to was not sticking your crosshair exactly to the wall because for normal slow brain players like us the target is going to move a little before you can react to where they appear so when your crosshair is a little wide of the wall or whatnot you are probably making the adjustment you have to make even smaller and its at roughly where they are when you are reacting.

Launder's video on swag's xhair placement is good for this part I think

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
at higher ranks at least, you can tell how old and slow someone is by how far they place their crosshair from a corner

mine grows larger with each passing year

father time is coming for you, taz

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

real dilemma posted:

at higher ranks at least, you can tell how old and slow someone is by how far they place their crosshair from a corner

tbh I feel like taz is coming for father time

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

real dilemma posted:

honestly I feel like wide peeking is generally just better in CS with how movement works so keeping a gap is common place regardless.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jeza posted:

tbh I feel like taz is coming for father time

Are they coming out of the slump so brutal only nip could top them at the moment or something?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Hard to say. VP's been playing online mostly recently and they couldn't beat a wet paper bag on a macbook online

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
If VP stop getting invited to lans they'll have to disband

Or just keep losing online qualifiers forever :shrug:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
15 minutes ago: operation

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

stump collector posted: