Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except they wouldn't have to do that. They've released improved and redesigned kits in the past and no one complained, mainly because the new kits didn't invalidate existing models. All they'd have to do is let people continue using their old models (like they're doing now) and present these as the new designs for 8th Edition.

Problem with that is that with the increase in stats and points, people would have bigger armies than they already had.

This way, people who try to proxy their tinymarines for bigmarines will be looked down on for lack o WISYWYG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's because it's nearly impossible to convey a jumping figure without making it look stupid. They either need to have the one foot touching down/pushing off, or abandon the idea altogether. Everything looks like a kid you tied too many party balloons to and now he's floating away...

I would argue that if you can't come up with a way to convey a certain pose without making it look stupid, you should not just push forward and use that pose anyway. (Also, plenty of other sculptors have successfully conveyed motion, but GW seems to be pretty bad at it lately.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

Problem with that is that with the increase in stats and points, people would have bigger armies than they already had.

This way, people who try to proxy their tinymarines for bigmarines will be looked down on for lack o WISYWYG

The poorhammer 40k compromise: model your smolmarines with stilts

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Avenging Dentist posted:

I would argue that if you can't come up with a way to convey a certain pose without making it look stupid, you should not just push forward and use that pose anyway. (Also, plenty of other sculptors have successfully conveyed motion, but GW seems to be pretty bad at it lately.)

GW has also done it just fine in the past, too. The Swooping Hawks are decent at conveying the movement, and so are the Scourges. And more recently, Celestine and her sidekicks are some pretty nicely posed fliers. I don't know why they apparently thought these guys needed to look like they belonged in the Macy's parade. It really doesn't help that they all seem to have their arms sticking out sideways at a sort of lowered angle, rather than any impression that they might be aiming or firing.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Chill la Chill posted:

The poorhammer 40k compromise: model your smolmarines with stilts

So is it smolmarines and swolemarines?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

These guys just look like they're floating around waiting for something to happen.

Accurately representing what the figures would be doing during 95% of the playtime of a game of Warhammer 40k. IMO more of the models should look like they're just standing around bored, waiting for something to happen.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
If we are talking about flying infantry then I'll say I like the Stormcast angel dudes

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
How does the bird stay up? Is it part of the scroll?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Birds can fly?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Leperflesh posted:

Accurately representing what the figures would be doing during 95% of the playtime of a game of Warhammer 40k. IMO more of the models should look like they're just standing around bored, waiting for something to happen.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Bad Moon posted:

Its tail overlaps with the scroll thing

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I heard a totally unconfirmed rumor that the Dark Imperium starter will be $160 after conversion to America money. I consider $100-$120 to be about the most you can reasonably expect a new player to plop down on a starter.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

EverettLO posted:

I heard a totally unconfirmed rumor that the Dark Imperium starter will be $160 after conversion to America money. I consider $100-$120 to be about the most you can reasonably expect a new player to plop down on a starter.

My local game store is quoting 125 on their page.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

Truly, a forsaken country.

Edit: So, Death Thread; the new 40k introduction box has been revealed. Minis in it, what's your opinion of them?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-launch-date-announced-may22gw-homepage-post-1/

Bigmars look mostly coherent and good. I like the new plasma guns and the leader models are alright, bar that one with the, what I can only assume to be, power feets.
The Death Guard, while characterful, look like an absolute bitch to paint and not really beginner friendly. I'm also not sure if those little dudes are meant to be cultists or daemons.

That plasma gun is a new sculpt right? May be the best looking I've seen GW put out, and with 5 per I could see picking up a sprue or two...

Here's what they said about the new infantry "Poxwalkers":

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-death-guard/ posted:

Another unit to get excited about are Poxwalkers, the other Troops choice for the Death Guard. Coming in at 6 points in matched play with Disgustingly Resilient, they are a very solid pick. This unit also never has to take morale tests, which means you have to kill them to the last man (zombie?) which is not an easy task. Another cool rule they have is Curse of the Walking Pox, allowing you to add another Poxwalker to the unit every time they slay any enemy Infantry models. This unit is great for holding objectives or for screening your more valuable units from the hyper-fast assault units we’ve seen in armies like Tyranids. Also, if you’ve got Typhus on the table, he increases the Strength and Toughness of nearby Poxwalkers by 1 with his special ability, bolstering their already formidable durability!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Those Poxwalkers look really nice, I wouldn't mind having a bunch of those. I also like the new Plague Marines despite having some copypasted bits from fantasy Blightkings and being way too detailed for anything but squad leaders or other character models. I'm ambivalent on the bigmarines, except the Assault Marines look silly.

Also, checking the covers of those Index books we get a pretty clear idea what gets squatted or renamed, etc.
- Imperium one is all marines of different colors, nothing special there
- Imperium two includes all the other Imperials. AdMech is merged into one faction. Talons of the Emperor are Adeptus Custodes, Sisters of SIlence and all that, right? Looks like Sisters of Battle have joined Bretonnia for good.
- Xenos one includes Necrons and different colors of Eldar, now consisting of Craftworlds, Drukhari, Ynnari and Harlequins.
- Xenos two includes the rest of Xenos, can't see anything special there, we already knew Tau got an apostrophe
- Chaos book has Heretic Astartes, so CSM have been renamed as well. There's also Questor Traitoris, no idea what that's about.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lord Hypnostache posted:

There's also Questor Traitoris, no idea what that's about.

Traitor Knight Titans maybe?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Also, checking the covers of those Index books we get a pretty clear idea what gets squatted or renamed, etc.
- Imperium two includes all the other Imperials. AdMech is merged into one faction. Talons of the Emperor are Adeptus Custodes, Sisters of SIlence and all that, right? Looks like Sisters of Battle have joined Bretonnia for good.

Oh, I'm sure an Ordo Hereticus could find some space in his retinue.

Otherwise, hey, there's always still the Grey Knights :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I actually did a little digging on the GW site and found some new Sisters models I don't think anyone has posted about yet: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...sters-of-Battle

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

omnibobb posted:

My local game store is quoting 125 on their page.

I hope you're right, but I gotta believe the store has something wrong. That would be nearly exactly at the exchange rate right now and I have never known GW to miss an opportunity to gouge.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have these. Love them. I think I'm doing a diorama with the ogre choking their friend as a lesson while they stand around watching.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Word. Observe, the Fat Yuan Yuan, who manages to convey at the same time both flying, and being an ungainly sack of poo poo while doing it:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

Word. Observe, the Fat Yuan Yuan, who manages to convey at the same time both flying, and being an ungainly sack of poo poo while doing it:

This guy owns. I think I'm getting one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that the one that has a special edition model of his just housing a container of chow mein? Or was that just a drawing of him?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It's both models:

Noodles: destroyed :smug:

I am in the midst of painting mine as my Oath this month.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Not a viking posted:

Without working in their design studio, having access to their market research (ha!), or being able to see sales data for specific lines or products, it's impossible to say what their actual motivation is. I'd want to know how well Centurions sold compared to Terminators and Tactical Marines. I'd want to know if GW felt the market and secondary markets were so saturated with discount Marines that even if people still wanted to buy them, it'd be impossible to get people to pay full retail for them. Maybe 40k itself was slowing down and Marines, being ubiquitous with the brand, were the hardest hit and were in need of the most significant revamp.

Or maybe GW was just being GW and still doesn't get that people will replace existing models with cool new ones just because they're cool and new.

All we know for sure is that they felt it was better to have two overlapping Space Marine lines and the old marines may or may not get any more physical releases.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the decapitated kitten head

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I'm the decapitated kitten head

When you gotta Hail Satan, you gotta Hail Satan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We're being told that before discounts, the 8e starter box is about $150USD.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Dumb question but are we sure they are jump packs as assault marines, or are they some type of flight, hover pack? They have sort of stabiliser/ directional fins on the back and those weird landing skids. Maybe they aren't the same role as assault

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

I actually did a little digging on the GW site and found some new Sisters models I don't think anyone has posted about yet: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...sters-of-Battle

Well played

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Serotonin posted:

Dumb question but are we sure they are jump packs as assault marines, or are they some type of flight, hover pack? They have sort of stabiliser/ directional fins on the back and those weird landing skids. Maybe they aren't the same role as assault

It's possible they're a totally different kind of unit, but it's just as likely it's just a redesign of the old garbage jump pack design where the models are so top heavy it doesn't look like it'd be possible for them to stand upright unassisted.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Avenging Dentist posted:

:perfect:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pawl posted:

The outrage over the entire Warhammer Fantasy universe being squatted was immense and Space Marines are far more popular than the entire WHFB universe

Just make all new marine releases larger scale. Avoiding mental gymnastics about chaos and all the rest of it. No AOS-ing required.

Making one factions models bigger (and better designed and arguably more interesting) doesn't require an in universe cataclysm or reboot..

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southpaugh posted:

Just make all new marine releases larger scale. Avoiding mental gymnastics about chaos and all the rest of it. No AOS-ing required.

Making one factions models bigger (and better designed and arguably more interesting) doesn't require an in universe cataclysm or reboot..

Of course it doesn't. Infinity's been doing this for the past few years with its rereleases. But this is the company that created AOS we're talking about.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Southpaugh posted:

Then you get bitching and moaning about different scales and how the new models don't fit in with the old collections. There is no good way to do it, so GW took the path that at least offered an explanation, no matter how silly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then you get bitching and moaning about different scales and how the new models don't fit in with the old collections. There is no good way to do it, so GW took the path that at least offered an explanation, no matter how silly.

They did it with the terminators. I don't recall any bitching aside from the people who were afraid their 5-man teams were now going to have a much larger footprint and thus easier to shoot.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe, but that's basically how they did it for ages. They never bothered to 'explain' why Lizardmen changed their look, or while Eldar switched from chainmail to bodysuits, or Carnifexes went from huggy guys to the current look, they just made a new model and said 'this is what it is now'. And for the most part, people either gobbled that poo poo up, or grumpily bought up all the old stock they could find (often from people replacing theirs with new versions). It's just sort of weird that this is something they've done multiple times for multiple factions over time, and this time they decided to hang it on some fluff.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I thought it was neat that they did actually mention why Stealth, Crisis, and Broadside Battlesuits were changed; the technology was improved and older models are still around but aren't being produced in factories any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, but this isn't a small change like armor modification or a redesign. This is "your models are now 25% larger" and it's a much more visually jarring change. Plus, they're advancing the story, which is what people have been bitching about for years. They're not going to please everybody, no matter what they do.

• Locked thread