Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/plalor/status/867123753112686592

Looks like cricket is going to be point on the workers revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sunrise going hard on WHERE ARE THE MUSLIM LEADERS CONDEMING THE MANCHESTER ATTTACK!? Even got Julie Bishop in on it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sunrise going hard on WHERE ARE THE MUSLIM LEADERS CONDEMING THE MANCHESTER ATTTACK!? Even got Julie Bishop in on it.

Twitter is full of Muslim councils, Islamic representatives, etc, condemning the attacks I mean they're not looking very loving hard.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Loving watching the U.K. Go full fascism tho

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
10 seconds of Twittering:

https://twitter.com/KJBar/status/867131341745274880

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull presser right now: "We need to be more agile than our enemies..." :ughh:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

Turnbull presser right now: "We need to be more agile than our enemies..." :ughh:

Thank gently caress I rolled a monk not a paladin

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"They came under cover of darkness... But we were all in a 4 hour stand up meeting that someone erroneously referred to as a 'scrum', and were totally unprepared.."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Thank gently caress I rolled a monk not a paladin

:golfclap: It is a bit like that today, the scrambling of the MSM to provide Australian angles is so desperate they're even interviewing Julie Bishop stumbling over the same tired phrases again.

e: Turnbull's actual phrase is worse but I had the sound off on the TV and read the ticker: "We need to be as agile as our enemies, more agile than our enemies".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

:golfclap: It is a bit like that today, the scrambling of the MSM to provide Australian angles is so desperate they're even interviewing Julie Bishop stumbling over the same tired phrases again.

Maybe that's what Malcolm meant by 'not agile enough'.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
The survey has revealed that Australians absolutely love to hit the bong. Cannabis is the most popular illegal drug of choice, but while people in other countries prefer to smoke it straight in a joint, we are the world’s biggest users of the humble bong. Shout out to Orchy. [Junkee]

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Coroner has defined the Lindt siege as a terrorist act, and has plenty of criticism for police, not least that Feds effectively withheld critical information that might have prevented escalation from State police.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Australia's terror level stays at :siren: PROBABLE :siren: but then the Ariana Grande concerts aren't scheduled here till September.

38 civilians killed in unprovoked bombing attack http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/air-strike-syria-hit-peaceful-mosque-170418073446175.html

There is nothing special about this report. The US (And its collaborators) do something like this at least every month or so. And by "something like this" I mean a poorly targeted attack on a civilian facility leading to mass casualties. This is the nature of 'collateral damage'. And yet on 19 April every Australian newspaper didn't have this on its front page while shock jocks demanded denunciations from the US ambassador and the head of the catholic church. I don't think it made it into most Australian papers at all. Why would it? These are baddies being slaughtered on the alter of the War on Terror. How convenient then that these go unremarked because if one was to look for a root cause for the vicious and indiscriminately targeted attack in Manchester it would be in this air strike and all the ones before and after it.

The War on Terror is like the War on Drugs, it is designed to go on forever and be self perpetuating. In the UK they have one of the most repressive surveillance regimes imaginable. Much of it was put in place to 'defend' against the wave of bombings that the IRA perpetrated in central London in the nineties. And yet it meant nothing to the innocent concert goers in Manchester. All that surrendering of freedom did nothing to protect the latest victims. We aren't talking peanuts here either: 16 Billion pounds directly in 2015 (Source - http://www.cityam.com/229260/autumn...f-paris-attacks ).

Someone needs to break the cycle of violence and do something meaningful to stop the carnage. It worked in South Africa and eventually in Northern Ireland. Perhaps there is some room for hope, but not if we keep doing the dumb poo poo we are now doing because it is clearly hopeless

See Also :- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...p-a7751911.html

-/-

While we discuss international affairs how about Trump Budget MK1? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/us/politics/trump-budget-cuts.html

quote:

Trump’s Budget Cuts Deeply Into Medicaid and Anti-Poverty Efforts By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVISMAY 22, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump plans to unveil on Tuesday a $4.1 trillion budget for 2018 that would cut deeply into programs for the poor, from health care and food stamps to student loans and disability payments, laying out an austere vision for reordering the nation’s priorities. The document, grandly titled “A New Foundation for American Greatness,” encapsulates much of the “America first” message that powered Mr. Trump’s campaign. It calls for an increase in military spending of 10 percent and spending more than $2.6 billion for border security — including $1.6 billion to begin work on a wall on the border with Mexico — as well as huge tax reductions and an improbable promise of 3 percent economic growth.

The wildly optimistic projections balance Mr. Trump’s budget, at least on paper, even though the proposal makes no changes to Social Security’s retirement program or Medicare, the two largest drivers of the nation’s debt. To compensate, the package contains deep cuts in entitlement programs that would hit hardest many of the economically strained voters who propelled the president into office. Over the next decade, it calls for slashing more than $800 billion from Medicaid, the federal health program for the poor, while slicing $192 billion from nutritional assistance and $272 billion over all from welfare programs. And domestic programs outside of military and homeland security whose budgets are determined annually by Congress would also take a hit, their funding falling by $57 billion, or 10.6 percent.

The plan would cut by more than $72 billion the disability benefits upon which millions of Americans rely. It would eliminate loan programs that subsidize college education for the poor and those who take jobs in government or nonprofit organizations. Mr. Trump’s advisers portrayed the steep reductions as necessary to balance the nation’s budget while sparing taxpayers from shouldering the burden of programs that do not work well. “This is, I think, the first time in a long time that an administration has written a budget through the eyes of the people who are actually paying the taxes,” said Mick Mulvaney, Mr. Trump’s budget director. “We’re not going to measure our success by how much money we spend, but by how many people we actually help,” Mr. Mulvaney said as he outlined the proposal at the White House on Monday before its formal presentation on Tuesday to Congress.

Among its innovations: Mr. Trump proposes saving $40 billion over a decade by barring undocumented immigrants from collecting the Child Tax Credit and adding additional measures to ensure they cannot collect the Earned Income Tax Credit. He has also requested $19 billion over 10 years for a new program, spearheaded by his daughter and senior adviser Ivanka Trump, to provide six weeks of paid leave to new parents. The budget also includes a broad prohibition against money for entities that provide abortions, including Planned Parenthood, blocking them from receiving any federal health funding.<Snip>

So a Turnbull/Abbott budget basically. This will definitely help the areas of the US that currently look like a war zone to smoke more efficiently. Maybe Trump is a fervent accelerationist? Making America a great dumpster fire again!

-/-

Well I will have to accept that the Lindt siege was somehow a terror attack I guess. :australia:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sounds like some kind of fully automated war economy, Snake.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Franklin told Fairfax Media that he stood by the point he was seeking to illustrate in the essay, which he said he had first posted in draft form and updated progressively over the evening.

"The whole piece was an attack on terrorism. It is absurd to suggest that in the third-last paragraph I would advocate a terrorist act."

He said he was making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of a suggestion by one of the panelists on Monday night's program that accidents involving refrigerators kill more people than terrorism, and what he saw as the ongoing refusal of ABC commentators to acknowledge the true causes of terrorism.

"Our lives and the way we live are being constricted, we live in fear and the causes are being obfuscated," he said.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Franklin told Fairfax Media that he stood by the point he was seeking to illustrate in the essay, which he said he had first posted in draft form and updated progressively over the evening.

"The whole piece was an attack on terrorism. It is absurd to suggest that in the third-last paragraph I would advocate a terrorist act."

He said he was making a rhetorical point about the absurdity of a suggestion by one of the panelists on Monday night's program that accidents involving refrigerators kill more people than terrorism, and what he saw as the ongoing refusal of ABC commentators to acknowledge the true causes of terrorism.

"Our lives and the way we live are being constricted, we live in fear and the causes are being obfuscated," he said.

No, the fearmongers are pretty clearly identified.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

When doing the dumb thing is easy and vote-winning, why would the West actually try to fix anything? Particularly if the freed funds were to be used for actually bettering living conditions and not lining their pockets.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Federal Opposition is today announcing new measures aimed at cracking down on dodgy company directors involved in what is known as phoenixing.

Phoenixing involves a company director stripping assets from a business just before it goes broke, not paying workers and creditors but then simply opening another company, with a different name and carrying on trading.

Like the mythical bird, the new company rises from the flames of the old one.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Certain parts of the construction industry aren't going to like that.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Certain parts of the construction industry aren't going to like that.

It's pretty big in real estate too iirc

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

quote:

Asked to comment, Quadrant editor and prominent historian Keith Windschuttle, a former ABC board member, told Fairfax Media, "You're talking bullshit, don't call back."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bogan King posted:

https://twitter.com/plalor/status/867123753112686592

Looks like cricket is going to be point on the workers revolution.

I love this dispute because all of Cricket Australia's plans to turn the players against each other have been comprehensively defeated by 100% of cricketers being members of their union and firmly telling management to piss right off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland police have arrested a senior One Nation adviser.

Sean Black, a media and policy adviser to outspoken senator Malcolm Roberts, was taken into custody in Brisbane on Wednesday.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Queensland police have arrested a senior One Nation adviser.

Sean Black, a media and policy adviser to outspoken senator Malcolm Roberts, was taken into custody in Brisbane on Wednesday.
Aren't most of your friends One Nation voters now days?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Aren't most of your friends One Nation voters now days?

To be fair to anime dave they're kind of hard to avoid in Queensland

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

To be fair to anime dave they're kind of hard to avoid in Queensland
It's a lot harder to avoid in the QUT student bar.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I applied for and received a personal loan today and the bank spent 90% of the time I was there talking to me about getting a home loan and how I can do it with my parents ans guarantors and how the market is only going up so I should definitely invest now.

Im like 'guys I literally just borrowed 25 grand off you because I am terrible at saving for things. I mean you can even see how much I earn and spend and without even plugging that info into a computer I can tell you its a bad idea.'

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I applied for and received a personal loan today and the bank spent 90% of the time I was there talking to me about getting a home loan and how I can do it with my parents ans guarantors and how the market is only going up so I should definitely invest now.

Im like 'guys I literally just borrowed 25 grand off you because I am terrible at saving for things. I mean you can even see how much I earn and spend and without even plugging that info into a computer I can tell you its a bad idea.'

2018_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Sounds like some kind of fully automated war economy, Snake.

We're all sons of the Patriots now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALkd3DG6HA&t=91s

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

Probably worth mentioning that it was also a cold call preapproved loan from my actual bank, but the timing was convenient in that i was going to call them to ask anyway.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

Probably worth mentioning that it was also a cold call preapproved loan from my actual bank, but the timing was convenient in that i was going to call them to ask anyway.

Ummmm isn't that illegal? Or did you make the mistake of opting in?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

hooman posted:

2018_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt 2017_Australian_Banking_Crisis.txt

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Its Labah's fault mista speaka.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

hooman posted:

https://www.domain.com.au/news/melbourne-metro-rail-project-st-kilda-road-residents-fear-effect-on-property-prices-20170524-gwahtx/

WHY SELL NOW WHEN PRICES ARE ONLY GOING UP UP UP???

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

norp posted:

Ummmm isn't that illegal? Or did you make the mistake of opting in?

I have no idea. it was a call from a branch I have never been to, but I do bank with the bank in question.

I hadnt made any enquiries before that with my bank, just checking rates online, but I figured if they were calling me I would hear them out and managed to get a decent rate out of it so signed my life away.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Still one of the best end game boss's of all time

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Laserface posted:

I have no idea. it was a call from a branch I have never been to, but I do bank with the bank in question.

I hadnt made any enquiries before that with my bank, just checking rates online, but I figured if they were calling me I would hear them out and managed to get a decent rate out of it so signed my life away.

*Shuffles off to AI to see what you bought*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Someone just earnestly told me "you have to believe that all politicians are acting in what they see as the best interest of everybody".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Someone just earnestly told me "you have to believe that all politicians are acting in what they see as the best interest of everybody".

Oh, bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

hooman posted:

They're not wrong. If you face the reality of the situation then it's really loving depressing.

• Locked thread