Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

In a way it will be because gas chamber threads don't require archives to read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwr890Pf_A&t=13s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is Trump praising the Filipino President more or less hosed up than when Reagan gave the Contras a tongue bath?

Well we're at least not arming Duterte's forces

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Well we're at least not arming Duterte's forces

that we know of

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

The problem comes when its then used to say "you can't question the choice of the Pope, he's divinely influenced." Well, what about all those bad popes? "They were chosen by bad men who made a mistake and ignored God's guidance." Well then how do you know these guys didn't screw up too? "Because God guides them."

For us to have any kind of debate on the Pope's divine providence or edicts we have to basically agree on a set of goal posts and can't just let it be open based on whether you agree or disagree with any given Pope or stance. I think Francis is a good guy and Benedict is an rear end in a top hat. I know Catholics who feel the opposite way. They'll argue that God guided the Cardinals to pick Benedict but not Francis. I'll say "the Cardinals choose both for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure at least some of them hoped they were doing God's will." The second one can get us somewhere, the first one can't.

And in general I have never and probably never will base any debate or anything on Star Wars. Sorry.

That's really one of the fundamental problems with theological debates especially Christianity in general. So much of it just runs in circles until you get into "well God works in mysterious ways" types of answers. When you actually point out the logical conclusions of the arguments being made you just run into a wall of "nuh uh! God says I'm right so I'm right. Nyah."

All good things are caused by God. All bad things are caused by not God even the things I say are 100% always caused by God.

The most baffling thing this election cycle was leaders in the religious right saying they had "visions" of Trump at God's right hand. Like...seriously? I don't think you could find somebody further from the teachings of Jesus without digging up literal Nazis or actual serial killers.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is Trump praising the Filipino President more or less hosed up than when Reagan gave the Contras a tongue bath?

More hosed up because the Contras weren't actually the leaders of Nicaragua at the time. He literally told Duterte, the Philippines' sitting president, "doin a great job with those state sanctioned murders, buddy"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The serious answer is this should have been dealt with in the mid-90's and now everyone is pretty well hosed.

There's a narrow and precarious path to a peaceful resolution, but odds are not in Seoul's favor.

How does it look for Japan and the U.S.?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does this mean Trump is going to illegally support Duarte by selling weapons to Iran?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

The problem comes when its then used to say "you can't question the choice of the Pope, he's divinely influenced." Well, what about all those bad popes? "They were chosen by bad men who made a mistake and ignored God's guidance." Well then how do you know these guys didn't screw up too? "Because God guides them."

For us to have any kind of debate on the Pope's divine providence or edicts we have to basically agree on a set of goal posts and can't just let it be open based on whether you agree or disagree with any given Pope or stance. I think Francis is a good guy and Benedict is an rear end in a top hat. I know Catholics who feel the opposite way. They'll argue that God guided the Cardinals to pick Benedict but not Francis. I'll say "the Cardinals choose both for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure at least some of them hoped they were doing God's will." The second one can get us somewhere, the first one can't. So I'm willing to say "fine, God influences all Papal choices" or "God influences none" but we can't pick and choose or we'll get nowhere.

And in general I have never and probably never will base any debate or anything on Star Wars. Sorry.

Catholicism is really pretty pragmatic. 99% of what the pope says is just stuff a guy who is the pope says. The divine stuff is extremely rare. Something like 10 statements ever in the whole history of the church have been pinned as "god said this", most of the pope's policies and stuff is just seen as a guy who is a good priest who is probably pretty smart saying it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

berserker posted:

More hosed up because the Contras weren't actually the leaders of Nicaragua at the time. He literally told Duterte, the Philippines' sitting president, "doin a great job with those state sanctioned murders, buddy"

Yeah but Nun raping/murder was a special kind of hosed up.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

also why can nobody get the Filipino rear end in a top hat's name right? it's Duterte, not Duerte or Duarte or whatever the gently caress. not that hard

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really one of the fundamental problems with theological debates especially Christianity in general. So much of it just runs in circles until you get into "well God works in mysterious ways" types of answers. When you actually point out the logical conclusions of the arguments being made you just run into a wall of "nuh uh! God says I'm right so I'm right. Nyah."

Catholicism and Judaism seem like the the two religions that is very explicitly not the case for. Those two religions seem like the two where if you can think of a question there will be a very very specific official answer that is rock solid enough that if you can think of a way to do like minecraft exploits on it then those are counted as real too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Catholicism is really pretty pragmatic. 99% of what the pope says is just stuff a guy who is the pope says. The divine stuff is extremely rare. Something like 10 statements ever in the whole history of the church have been pinned as "god said this", most of the pope's policies and stuff is just seen as a guy who is a good priest who is probably pretty smart saying it.

Right, that was the point. We either agree right off the bat to a pragmatic discussion and some basic boundaries or we just avoid the inevitable hurt feelings and headaches. Most Catholics (in my experience) tend to choose the pragmatic path because that's how we're generally taught. Some other Christian religions don't have that kind of consistency.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 24, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

HOLY poo poo THEY EDITED THE SHOT TO CUT OUT THE YARMULKE?!?!?!?!

No, they didn't.

This isn't hard to check, guys. Don't be Fox viewers.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Catholicism and Judaism seem like the the two religions that is very explicitly not the case for. Those two religions seem like the two where if you can think of a question there will be a very very specific official answer that is rock solid enough that if you can think of a way to do like minecraft exploits on it then those are counted as real too.

not so much with judaism, there's a very strong tradition of rationalism but an even stronger tradition of rationally coming to completely different conclusions (unlike catholicism being very my way or the highway)

one of the many old jokes you'll hear over and over from old folks at the synagogue is that if you ask ten rabbis a question you'll get eleven different answers

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867084733427195904

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All good things are caused by God. All bad things are caused by not God even the things I say are 100% always caused by God.

The most baffling thing this election cycle was leaders in the religious right saying they had "visions" of Trump at God's right hand. Like...seriously? I don't think you could find somebody further from the teachings of Jesus without digging up literal Nazis or actual serial killers.

Don't vaccinate your kids because if god didn't want you to have polio he wouldn't give it to you.

*Same God sends in Jonas Salk*

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

"Say hello to the people of the Philippines for me. Okay, love you, bye bye."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Most Catholics I've spoken to personally have been very similar to Evangelicals. Then again I'm from rural Pennsylvania so that's probably part of it. A depressing majority of Christians in general I've met in these parts have been awful people that use Jesus to justify being hateful, spiteful dickheads that despise everything.

Judaism I think is pretty different because so much of it is left to individual interpretation. If memory serves Jews are generally taught to study the teachings, learn from them, and to never automatically assume something just because a rabbi said it. Hard and fast dogmatic rules are relatively uncommon. Generally speaking there aren't "denominations" of Judaism the way Christianity thinks of it. The ongoing conversation of just what it is to be Jewish is like a central part of the religion. It isn't like Christianity where you have single congregations of a few dozen people who believe absolutely everybody else is going to Hell because they interpreted one particular word slightly differently.

Of course American Christianity is a special variety of terrible.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't vaccinate your kids because if god didn't want you to have polio he wouldn't give it to you.

*Same God sends in Jonas Salk*

"Lord, why didn't you save me from drowning?"
"I sent you a raft, I sent you a life rope, I even sent you a drat helicopter! What more do you want from Me?"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

nine-gear crow posted:

So I just emerged from a slow teleport from the year 1996. Can someone please sum up the last 21 years of history for me, or is this joke finally loving dead after a week and a half?

Thar's a horse in the senate!!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kavros posted:

And its riding Mike Pence.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

We're generally better educated and better off, and also confined to the cities.

Therefore we vote dem, bitch about taxes, and drink heavily.

The parish I used to go to in some rural town is full of Trump supporters who believe in chemtrails and watch Fox News all day (except for EWTN). I will hand it to them, when the town had a liquor law up for voting, all the churches had big signs with "VOTE NO FOR ALCOHOL".... except the Catholic Church. (It not only passed, you can now buy booze after noon on Sundays too and most of the restaurants have full bars)

Anyways, if it's any indicator, a lot of non-believers/non-practicing Catholics I know love Pope Francis. My uncle is an atheist and he thinks he's awesome. No one cares whether Catholics like their Pope because they're supposed to be in solidarity to an extent anyways.

What's weird is that my mother is really right-wing, but she boasted how her family voted for Kennedy and she herself even voted for Carter. I guess Reagan broke the system.

I just don't see how it's compatible for me to be Catholic and Republican. Obviously, they're using the pro-life issue as the way to corrupt well-meaning Catholics.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most Catholics I've spoken to personally have been very similar to Evangelicals. Then again I'm from rural Pennsylvania so that's probably part of it. A depressing majority of Christians in general I've met in these parts have been awful people that use Jesus to justify being hateful, spiteful dickheads that despise everything.

Judaism I think is pretty different because so much of it is left to individual interpretation. If memory serves Jews are generally taught to study the teachings, learn from them, and to never automatically assume something just because a rabbi said it. Hard and fast dogmatic rules are relatively uncommon. Generally speaking there aren't "denominations" of Judaism the way Christianity thinks of it. The ongoing conversation of just what it is to be Jewish is like a central part of the religion. It isn't like Christianity where you have single congregations of a few dozen people who believe absolutely everybody else is going to Hell because they interpreted one particular word slightly differently.

Of course American Christianity is a special variety of terrible.

same. alot of the Catholics i know(also in rural PA) are conservative as gently caress.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

UberJew posted:

not so much with judaism, there's a very strong tradition of rationalism but an even stronger tradition of rationally coming to completely different conclusions (unlike catholicism being very my way or the highway)

one of the many old jokes you'll hear over and over from old folks at the synagogue is that if you ask ten rabbis a question you'll get eleven different answers

Eh, 11 answers but 11 ANSWERS, judaism is big into actually thinking through it's questions instead of brushing them off. There might not be a central body declaring one or another answer right but you are way more likely to get extremely well thought out totally supported diagrams to explain how something works exactly with a faith that you can work through the logic of the rules so exactly that things like sabbath mode on ovens that breaks the entire spirit of the idea of the rule is generally not just people ignoring inconvenient aspects of their religion like other religions have but totally exploiting a loophole in rules as written and enough faith that god meant what he wrote to actually accept you can do stuff like that. (or catholics eating rabbit fetuses because of a bunch of complex definitions of fish that ended up including fetuses)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Catholics voting for Kennedy is a different thing all together. My mother voted for Hillary and its only the second Democrat she's ever voted for in her life. But she'll never miss a chance to tell you that she voted for Kennedy and that she was all but ordered to do it and bused to the voting station. But she'll do it with a smile so I never quite know what exactly I'm supposed to be taking from the story. That was just some kind of cultural moment for them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Catholics get away with a lot because so many are lapsed and they generally like to drink and gently caress, but when you remove the romance languages and associated cultural good things the real deal Catholics are massive dicks in the same way as any other extremely pious group.

I state this as a Catholic raised Australian, which is fortunate as we have less religion than the US, but also unfortunate as it results in me being an Australian.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kavros posted:

That is deeply disturbing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(or catholics eating rabbit fetuses because of a bunch of complex definitions of fish that ended up including fetuses)

Capybara, beaver, and gator were the loopholes I was aware of, not the rabbit fetus one. But then eggs are fine during Lent and on Fridays so it makes sense.

But even the capybara and beaver stuff was basically the local archbishop going "fine fine yes this thing totally counts as a fish just don't starve your dumbass selves and try not to think too hard about it".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

No, they didn't.

This isn't hard to check, guys. Don't be Fox viewers.

I did check when i posted, it has since been changed.

edit:

Actually, it's just the way the website presents on a desktop. It seems to be cropping out the top of the imagine with the twitter toolbar:

edit:

No, that isn't my monitor resolution, I cropped the website down in the screenshot.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 24, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Some fun timing on the Philippines conversation leak, because Duterte just declared marshal law on a good chunk of the country

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KKKLIP ART posted:

Some fun timing on the Philippines conversation leak, because Duterte just declared marshal law on a good chunk of the country

martial

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Maybe he declared the Tekken character who is basically Bruce Lee?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Egbert Souse posted:

I just don't see how it's compatible for me to be Catholic and Republican. Obviously, they're using the pro-life issue as the way to corrupt well-meaning Catholics.

At this point it isn't. However you're right; that's a major, major component of it for a hell of a lot of Christians in general. That isn't just Catholics. A hell of a lot of it is various religious leaders making bullshit claims about liberals. When the gay marriage thing was still being settled (and the right just won't loving stop on that one) in a big way a very common claim was "the government will force your church to marry gays so you must oppose gay marriage with every fiber of your being."

And it's like...no. That's not how it works. That wasn't the point of legalizing it at all. You couldn't explain that to people and a common response was "well we believe it's wrong so we work to prevent people from doing it. That's what we believe." Sorry buddy but not everybody believes that and some religions are totally fine with it. Sometimes it'd end with "well we'll just have to agree to disagree." No. loving no. Your religion believing that the gays are icky and bad does not give you the right to take away their rights. Your religion and your church can refuse to marry gay people. That's fine! Nobody is forcing you to but you can't force your religions rules on everybody else's.

I had to start invoking my religion (I generally avoid that) and point out how they were overstepping their bounds into mine. That's when the real bullshit starts. "Well America is a Christian nation because most Americans are Christian. So there. Majority rules." Well, no. America is a free nation that just happens to be mostly Christian and not even all Christians believe those things. That also forgets the "minority rights" part, which they loving constantly bring up whenever the majority votes for something they don't agree with.

A great deal of it is just plain authoritarianism wrapped up in Jesus. Plus it's that strategy of "fight on literally all of the fronts forever all the time." They know they'll never, ever win on abortion or LGBT rights but they can keep otherwise decent people voting R because "SAVE THE BABIES!!!!!" or "GAY AGENDA!!!!!!!!"

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 24, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Martian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Classtoise posted:

Maybe he declared the Tekken character who is basically Bruce Lee?

Marshall Tucker Band Law

by which I mean he's setting the mountain on fire

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQqfegOZ_X0 :colbert:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealVinnieJames/status/867184684895174660

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I did check when i posted, it has since been changed.

edit:

Actually, it's just the way the website presents on a desktop. It seems to be cropping out the top of the imagine with the twitter toolbar:

It's an aspect ratio thing. Resize your browser window and watch the yarmulke disappear and reappear, like magic. Do you think twitter makes you upload an ultrawide image of the exact right dimensions, and then it uses that everywhere?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 24, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

citybeatnik posted:

Capybara, beaver, and gator were the loopholes I was aware of, not the rabbit fetus one. But then eggs are fine during Lent and on Fridays so it makes sense.

But even the capybara and beaver stuff was basically the local archbishop going "fine fine yes this thing totally counts as a fish just don't starve your dumbass selves and try not to think too hard about it".

They are called laurices, and it wasn't a starvation thing like some of the others, it was just people looking at fetuses and saying "I guess it marks all the boxes we set for what is a fish, guess we can eat these" and the pope going "yeah, I guess so".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

more like marital law, amirite fellas? everything's locked down. heyooo~

• Locked thread