Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Microsoft Surface Device Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

more like the microsoft device surface

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Surface Pro: "The most versatile laptop" - is actually a tablet. (this is the new one, with shag)
Surface Laptop: A laptop, with luxury carpet you have to take to the cleaners. (the one announced earlier this month) (this is the only portable surface that doesn't have a detachable screen)
Surface Book: "The ultimate laptop" - is actually a tablet. More expensive and powerful than the Pro.
Surface Book with Performance Base: is a Surface Book with a more powerful dedicated GPU. A "Performance Base" is a thicker keyboard part, for more battery.
Surface Studio: iMac with a touchscreen that can fold down.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 24, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

microsoft Sussudio

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Surface Pro: "The most versatile laptop" - is actually a tablet. (this is the new one, with shag)
Surface Laptop: A laptop, with luxury carpet you have to take to the cleaners. (the one announced earlier this month) (this is the only portable surface that doesn't have a detachable screen)
Surface Book: "The ultimate laptop" - is actually a tablet. More expensive and powerful than the Pro.
Surface Book with Performance Base: is a Surface Book with a more powerful dedicated GPU. I can't figure out what a "Performance Base" is.

the performance base is a keyboard with a graphics card

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Surface Book with Performance Base: is a Surface Book with a more powerful dedicated GPU. A "Performance Base" is a thicker keyboard part, for more battery.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Microsoft Surface Device Family

Nice!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

lmbo putting a tablet on your lap

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no one is going to bother sifting through that dude's "work" after his donlad trump tier group policy configuration skills showcased again and again and again

oh, good, i am very much one of the people who go "just install windows 10 it'll be fine", so i was inclined to doubt, but it seemed a damning enough set of screenshots that i figured it was time for an open mind v:shobon:v

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

surface laptop is a few weeks old, new surface pro is a day old. both have carpets.

but does it have drapes, and in that case do they match?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/05/23/announcing-windows-10-china-government-edition-new-surface-pro/
"Announcing Windows 10 China Government Edition and the new Surface Pro"

these loving names

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh, good, i am very much one of the people who go "just install windows 10 it'll be fine", so i was inclined to doubt, but it seemed a damning enough set of screenshots that i figured it was time for an open mind v:shobon:v

im in the same boat and there are legitimate concerns to be held, but that guy did not, by any means, conduct a good experiment

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wheany posted:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/05/23/announcing-windows-10-china-government-edition-new-surface-pro/

these loving names

I wonder how that will work. will it only have the windows store and bing, which then only connects to government servers?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

what are the superior technologies, nfs? fibrechannel?

fiber channel if you're going big, nfs (or SMB3) if you want to save money/time. iscsi inhabits this weird in-between where it costs more, its more difficult to manage, and the features that made it desirable a decade ago have either moved in to the protocol layer or can be accomplished with LACP/etherchannel. If the overhead of NFS/SMB3 is somehow a problem (probably isn't) then you should be looking at fiber channel

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that SAS supports switching too so you could make a storage fabric out of it but it doesn't seem to be super well supported despite being cool as hell

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao i installed windows 10 and now some applications are losing focus with every keystroke

at least my computer isnt carpeted, i guess

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If the overhead of NFS/SMB3 is somehow a problem (probably isn't) then you should be looking at fiber channel

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's amazing that they can't get high-res images for even their high-end, supposedly hidpi model

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fiber channel if you're going big, nfs (or SMB3) if you want to save money/time. iscsi inhabits this weird in-between where it costs more, its more difficult to manage, and the features that made it desirable a decade ago have either moved in to the protocol layer or can be accomplished with LACP/etherchannel. If the overhead of NFS/SMB3 is somehow a problem (probably isn't) then you should be looking at fiber channel
in what environment does iscsi cost more than fibrechannel

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

anthonypants posted:

it's amazing that they can't get high-res images for even their high-end, supposedly hidpi model

that's not the only amazing thing but i guess no one noticed the other one yet

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pierogi posted:

Saturday, Sunday, easy mistake to make

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

this but like every computer company website aside from apple

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

carry on then posted:

this but like every computer company website aside from apple
Makes sense, Apple cares about looks more than performance.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pierogi posted:

they can't get decent pictures of the laptops and you want them to take new pictures every year just to fix the date?????

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The new Surface Pro is from the future but the rest are from last year duh

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Merkinman posted:

Makes sense, Apple cares about looks more than performance.

too bad ms don't since they're selling the same product but with a worse operating system, that is one that is a piece of poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

The new Surface Pro is from the future but the rest are from last year duh

surface laptop is from this month

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

too bad ms don't since they're selling the same product but with a worse operating system, that is one that is a piece of poo poo

no it's different because tehy put a cum rag on the keyboard

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

in what environment does iscsi cost more than fibrechannel

more expensive than SMB3/NFS.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well you already have a pile of fiber channel lying around so that makes it cheaper

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I mean, fibrechannel over ethernet is a thing if you really want to be absurd

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

no it's different because tehy put a cum rag on the keyboard

but then how will i log in with Microsoft Cum?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

more expensive than SMB3/NFS.

super mario bros 3 / need for speed

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Wheany posted:

these loving names
With Windows 10, Surface, HoloLens, and gaming we want to inspire a new generation of creativity everywhere in the world. I can’t wait to see what you will create next.

Thanks,

-Terry

Therry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD1bsl3AEeI

quote:

The project is a collaboration between Air New Zealand and Dimension Data, using the Microsoft HoloLens headset. As VRScout notes, it’s supposedly in beta testing, and it’s not clear how much of what we see in the video exists. In the system Air New Zealand describes, HoloLens-equipped flight attendants could identify passengers through (as far as I can tell) facial recognition, calling up details about their destination, allergies, and even the time since they got their last beverage.

In addition to this, the program would detect a passenger’s mood through “visual and audio cues” — in the video, an attendant sees them go from “calm” to “anxious” and back again. Of course, it’s not clear whether HoloLens could pick this up better than an actual human, and the whole facial recognition process seems far more complicated than Air New Zealand’s previous biometric bag drop system, which matched faces to scanned passports. There’s also the matter of this generation of HoloLens being ridiculous-looking and uncomfortable, and interactions being a little difficult — later in the video, you can see someone getting trained to perform the signature “air tap” gesture.
cortana what are the hoo-man 'emotions' I'm hearing so much about

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
doesn't the real hololens require you to wear a computer backpack

qirex posted:

cortana what are the hoo-man 'emotions' I'm hearing so much about
here is a brief tutorial,
here is what 'anxious' looks like:

and here is what 'calm' looks like:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

doesn't the real hololens require you to wear a computer backpack
here is a brief tutorial,
here is what 'anxious' looks like:

and here is what 'calm' looks like:

im the millions of dollars in technology and development that replaces what a single well-trained flight attendant glancing at the flight manifest for 30 seconds and memorizing the first name of everyone in first class does today

cattle class doesn't need to be worried about

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

im the millions of dollars in technology and development that replaces what a single well-trained flight attendant glancing at the flight manifest for 30 seconds and memorizing the first name of everyone in first class does today

cattle class doesn't need to be worried about

they keep the list on their tray out of view :ssh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
is there a way euros can type 'fibrechannel' so we know theyre using their special english. maybe fibrechanele or faebrechaenel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I am sure that will enhance customer satisfaction for the 2 months it takes for everyone to come to understand that the cyborg flight attendant is looking at a realtime readout of their personal information and either gets indignant or completely resigned to it

• Locked thread