Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

I may be mis-remembering, but didn't the uptick in armed police flouncing around London came after the 7/7 bombings? This is just an escalation of that, I suppose.
Blair sent tanks to Heathrow in 2003 for a publicity stunt that achieved nothing and cost millions in lost business and tourism.

That was allegedly in reaction to a threat but I'm not sure what kind of threat tanks would be useful against. Maybe the terrorists were going to entrench themselves around Terminal 3.

e: .223, about the maximum thing you should be using for urban serious threat situations. Not tanks.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lightning Lord posted:

Am I right in remembering they didn't even do anything approaching this crazy poo poo in response to the 2005 tube attacks?

Before my time but I don't think there was a framework for military support of mainland police operations in place until after then.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The thing is that this thread isn't very big on the traditional 'SJW' issues, they're normally dismissed as student politics. We just aren't explicitly racist for the most part.

Only problem is the euphemism treadmill is kind of tiring. For example, I give it 3 months before 'student politics' becomes a code phrase meaning 'people who are not fully onboard with mass internment camps'.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Guavanaut posted:

Blair sent tanks to Heathrow in 2003 for a publicity stunt that achieved nothing and cost millions in lost business and tourism.

That was allegedly in reaction to a threat but I'm not sure what kind of threat tanks would be useful against. Maybe the terrorists were going to entrench themselves around Terminal 3.

e: .223, about the maximum thing you should be using for urban serious threat situations. Not tanks.

on the plus side if the terrorists do try and sneak a T-55 into heathrow it's hosed.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hence the people going off half cocked about politics they know nothing about and claiming we want to gulag everyone and love East Germany.

Speak for yourself.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I may be mis-remembering, but didn't the uptick in armed police flouncing around London came after the 7/7 bombings? This is just an escalation of that, I suppose.

There is a world of difference in the training of armed police and infantry soldiers though.

I'm sure you know all about modern army training, but for those that don't here is a video (its lindybeige, if you can put up with him) about what and why. Sort of topical, the news are going on about deprogramming jihadis, but little talk is ever given to deprogramming soldiers when they are discharged. What percentage of the prison population are ex-soldiers?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

The worst ones were actual Trump supporting GBS posters who were posting here for lols. I've no doubt one of them said "lol i bet UKMT, who are all muslim converts, are saying this is a good thing. Lets get them boys!" or words to that effect. More racism and weird compound insults. Hence the people going off half cocked about politics they know nothing about and claiming we want to gulag everyone and love East Germany.

Remember to the American right, left wing politics is a black women speaking ebonics asking for infinite money to have more kids. Never overestimate the level of discourse with these people. Their entire reality is a strawman.

And this isn't?

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Collateral posted:

There is a world of difference in the training of armed police and infantry soldiers though.

I'm sure you know all about modern army training, but for those that don't here is a video (its lindybeige, if you can put up with him) about what and why. Sort of topical, the news are going on about deprogramming jihadis, but little talk is ever given to deprogramming soldiers when they are discharged. What percentage of the prison population are ex-soldiers?

quote:

Hundreds of ex-members of the armed forces will be hired as prison guards to bring more discipline to jails, Liz Truss will announce today. The Justice Secretary is launching a recruitment campaign targeting former military personnel to work in jails.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-Forces.html

Why deprogram them when they're useful somewhere else?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm expecting armed police at polling stations and think pieces about the psychological impact on voting intentions

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I mean, to be fair the IRA did mortar airports and stuff back in the day, if I recall. Tanks aren't necessarily overkill against a group that literally had stuff like surface-to-air missiles in their shooty collection.

(Also, wasn't it Scorpions? As opposed to, y'know, a proper tank-tank ie Challengers)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Join the military, maybe not die and then come back to Britain and enjoy your PTSD while being homeless or be in constant fear of attack while you work for poo poo money in a prison.

Hooray!

Also considering how most Tory stunts have gone this time around I wonder if the security theatre is going to convince the most paranoid to stay away from their polling station on the day.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I mean, to be fair the IRA did mortar airports and stuff back in the day, if I recall. Tanks aren't necessarily overkill against a group that literally had stuff like surface-to-air missiles in their shooty collection.

(Also, wasn't it Scorpions? As opposed to, y'know, a proper tank-tank ie Challengers)

Are tanks particularly effective against surface-to-air missiles?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

feedmegin posted:

The Scorpion is an armoured reconnaissance vehicle, not a tank :colbert:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Is it fair to blame the increased security presence and paranoia following 7/7 for the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheRat posted:

They're only really in danger when they're doing sick flips off ramps, so.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

feedmegin posted:

Scimitar but yes you are right. Not much use even against the hypothetical T-55 mentioned earlier.

I also share the concerns about infantry tactics not being suitable for police work, though I imagine the people being deployed are specifically trained. I've done riot control as part of urban training.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The British army does have a lovely record on riot control.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

Scimitar but yes you are right. Not much use even against the hypothetical T-55 mentioned earlier.

Should've gone with the Scorpion.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

this would probably work better if they weren't stepping aside for the tories in numerous seats tbh

They no longer have Arron Banks bankrolling them and they know they're going to lose a poo poo-ton of deposits. 'Stepping aside' for pro-Brexit Tories is a lovely way to quietly save money while still pretending to have influence.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I can't say anything for the Brit armed forces, but the American armed forces riot control manual is called something like "Kill or Get Killed - Riot Control tactics, Manhandling, and Close Combat for the Police and Military". So there's something nice to think about.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4535970/JAMES-HARKIN-Ariana-Grande-symbol-Islamists-hate.html

They totally targeted children cause Ariana wears revealing outfits. Absolute rag.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheRat posted:

They're probably a bit effective for the shower of shrapnel and burning fuel that would result from their effective use.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

I can't say anything for the Brit armed forces, but the American armed forces riot control manual is called something like "Kill or Get Killed - Riot Control tactics, Manhandling, and Close Combat for the Police and Military". So there's something nice to think about.

Holy gently caress. I looked it up and one of the top reviews said "The racial biases of the work are disturbing". :stonklol:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

Holy gently caress. I looked it up and one of the top reviews said "The racial biases of the work are disturbing". :stonklol:

hahaha jesus christ

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The racist fuckwits invading the thread was one thing, happens occasionally. But to discover that our beloved moral compass and spiritual leader Oberleutnant doesn't drink tea has shaken me to the very core.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

hahaha jesus christ

quote:

The ideological and racist biases of the text are disturbing, but represent authentically the mindset of someone who trained soldiers, police, intelligence officers, etc. to defend the state.

EDIT: AHAHAHA

quote:

A fantastic book on self defense and lethal techniques. It's an oldie, but the basic principles still hold true. This book won't make you capable or teach you how to instantly overcome fear, but it will give you specific instructions on how to make yourself less of a target and less of a liability. Any man who wants to protect his family should read this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Trying to work out this graph

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/867328403162136577

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
wtf is even the scale for the x axis

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Oberleutnant posted:

I have a .pdf copy from a bunch of military manuals I got in a torrent and it's very much a :catstare: even among some of the '50s era US army stuff.

If anyone actually wants a self defence book recommendation then "all in fighting" by W E Fairbairn will show you many many different ways of hurting nazis. often in the groin.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I would guess from inference that the higher the number is the more favourable the leaders ratings, local election results and polling accuracy are to the government is equivalent to them having a substantial poll lead without directly asking that question.

I question the validity of this method even before seeing the methodology.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's very very easy to put what you think is important into a model and get something out that matches reality well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

From a statistical point of view that data looks overmatched; the trend line is far too good.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the tories are u-turning on their school breakfast club plan because they hosed up the costings by ~£340 million lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

I have a .pdf copy from a bunch of military manuals I got in a torrent and it's very much a :catstare: even among some of the '50s era US army stuff.

If anyone actually wants a self defence book recommendation then "all in fighting" by W E Fairbairn will show you many many different ways of hurting nazis. often in the groin.
Love the expressions.

Not sure this would pass modern community sensitive standards though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Caption competition time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Right in the Nazbols.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Frankly they both look like Nazis

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Love the expressions.

"That's my purse, I don't know you"

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jose posted:

i don't think its weird referring to people from asia as asians
Me neither, but it's weird that the term usually doesn't encompass people from China or Malaysia or Vietnam, all of which are in Asia too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lord have mercy

https://twitter.com/MPSHackney/status/867126194000494592

• Locked thread