Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Emron posted:

I've been struggling in combat in the later part of the game (past crew quarters) and I'm starting to think I should unlock the nodes that let me upgrade weapons past level 1.

Combat Focus + Shotgun.
Combat Focus makes combat super easy, even on Hard. Especially when you have Combat Focus II-III.

Just remember that you should be using the Shotgun from the same range as the Wrench or else it does no damage.
Pistol is good enough outside of melee range but it is way less ammo efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SinineSiil posted:

Tell more please

December butts in occasionally throughout the story to remind you that you should be escaping instead of doing other stuff. When you finally head up to the escape pod during the escape, it gives a brief congratulations quip and then states that its last directive is to self-destruct. It then politely asks you to stand back and explodes a couple seconds later.

This might play out the same way regardless of when you head up to the escape pod, but it was kinda funny when it talked about leaving behind my responsibilities to survive while the station was in the process of blowing up with a giant space monstrosity wrapped around it. I was also killing everyone that playthrough and left December alive to kill later to see what happened, so it was a bit of a surprise to see it kill itself for me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also the sneak damage bonus, and silent running mod really push the damage up.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Pyromancer posted:

Your feeling is wrong. There is a disincentive, but it's not a plot thing, it's more to not make the game too easy if you have all the magic powers.

Oh good. I was worried there was a hidden low chaos/high chaos type of thing that effected plot.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I just entered this thread and I'm already noticing a couple of spoilers, so I'm not going to read much in here. But I came in just to ask: Can someone briefly sell me on this? I'm very tempted to pick this up after seeing the John Carpenter endorsement and seeing phrases like "if you loved System Shock 2 and thought BioShock was a disappointment, get this game" thrown around, but I really prefer goons' opinions on games like this. Reviewers just aren't talking about the aspects of it that would resonate better on these forums. Is this the game I've been wanting for ages?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also everyone picked the obvious true ending in pushing the fat man one final time after convincing them you are human enough to be released

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The game is great and really makes you feel like you have a huge amount of choice in both ethics and mechanics and even getting around from place to place. Theres always several equally valid ways to accomplish things.

Lots of loading screens esp. in the back half of the game which also has some pacing problems and bugs but it still got its hooks into me deep enough that I never considered anything but powering through and seeing everything.

Also dont pick hacking skill, or if you do dont use it to get access to stuff very often, use it for hacking turrets and robots. Finding alternate ways in to stuff is super fun and theres almost nothing you NEED hacking to access.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

oversteps posted:

I just entered this thread and I'm already noticing a couple of spoilers, so I'm not going to read much in here. But I came in just to ask: Can someone briefly sell me on this? I'm very tempted to pick this up after seeing the John Carpenter endorsement and seeing phrases like "if you loved System Shock 2 and thought BioShock was a disappointment, get this game" thrown around, but I really prefer goons' opinions on games like this. Reviewers just aren't talking about the aspects of it that would resonate better on these forums. Is this the game I've been wanting for ages?

Game owns. Play for a couple of hours on Steam and refund if it's not for you. But you've missed the majority of people saying it's really good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 24, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DC Murderverse posted:

*a few other small bugs. I encountered a Nightmare in the lobby which knocked me through a wall down the elevator shaft landing me right on top of the elevator, which I couldn't get out of. One quest in particular I attempted to finish but for whatever reason it didn't register, and when I went on with the game I got a "Mission Failed" message about 15 minutes later the one where the guy sends a distress signal for you to save him in the trauma center, but it turns out he's already dead. I saw his corpse and figured I'd get out of there since I had other poo poo to do, but I didn't kill all of the military operators so it didn't register as "finished", which I think single-handedly hosed up my "full empathy" run.

That guy had always been dead, I remembered his name from the crew manifest and so kind of knew going in that it was a trap but went anyway because I'm conditioned to always do quests. Anyway, it's a trap and there's no way to "succeed" except avoid it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are a bunch of safes whose keypads are broken and the only way to open them is with hacking. Sure, it's usually just weapon upgrade kits or grenades but I think out of the "unlocking" skills, Hacking has the most exclusive locks. Repair has a couple and I think there is one room that is mimic-only

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a broken safe that requires hacking 2 to get in, and contains as many neuromods as it takes to unlock hacking 2

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

oversteps posted:

Prey 2017 is System Shock 3. If you played System Shock 2 in 1999 and fell in love with it, which I did, then Prey 2017 is as close to System Shock 2 as anyone has ever bothered to get.

And it is very close, almost slavishly close with its themes, plot trappings, and level progression. Self-moddding, weapon upgrading, Psi Hypos, Med Bay, a Crew Quarters with a movie theater, and a door locked with the code 0451 are all here, and in the same order as you would expect. And at certain points of the game, it introduces enough changes to the formula to shift the pace and tension by an appreciable amount.

I played on PC with a 980TI and had near perfect performance, and I used a Dual Shock 4 exclusivly. System Shock 2 is among my very favorite games, and I had a memorable and very satisfying experience playing through Prey 2017.

After all the time that has passed, it felt great to be back.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

That guy had always been dead, I remembered his name from the crew manifest and so kind of knew going in that it was a trap but went anyway because I'm conditioned to always do quests. Anyway, it's a trap and there's no way to "succeed" except avoid it.

There's even a unique military operator there called "military operator copycat" that can sense you through walls, Nightmare-style.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
What I don't get is why Arkane Studios decided to name this game Prey instead of something original to distinguish it from the 2006 Prey. Why not "Psychoshock"? Not only would gamers not have confused this game with the 2006 one, they would have twigged that this was like Bioshock and System Shock 2. I myself was (pleasantly) astonished. I bought this game expecting a Doom clone but got System Shock 3. I read that Arkane was in fact working on a sequel to 2006-Prey to have been called Prey 2 but scrapped it when they realized they would rather do System Shock 3 instead. But why keep the title?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 24, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Copper Vein posted:

Prey 2017 is System Shock 3. If you played System Shock 2 in 1999 and fell in love with it, which I did, then Prey 2017 is as close to System Shock 2 as anyone has ever bothered to get.

And it is very close, almost slavishly close with its themes, plot trappings, and level progression. Self-moddding, weapon upgrading, Psi Hypos, Med Bay, a Crew Quarters with a movie theater, and a door locked with the code 0451 are all here, and in the same order as you would expect. And at certain points of the game, it introduces enough changes to the formula to shift the pace and tension by an appreciable amount.

I played on PC with a 980TI and had near perfect performance, and I used a Dual Shock 4 exclusivly. System Shock 2 is among my very favorite games, and I had a memorable and very satisfying experience playing through Prey 2017.

After all the time that has passed, it felt great to be back.

I actually wonder if at some point in development Prey did have System Shock 3 as its title (or at least somethingh-Shock as a title), right up until Otherside Entertainment rolled out the actual sequel to the original duology.

Also I reckon it should've been call Spatial Shock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bethesda almost certainly named it, not arkane, and probably did it just because they owned the IP and are very dumb about marketing

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
As I said above, Arkane was actually working on Prey 2 but then they decided they wanted to do a System Shock clone instead of a Doom clone so they scrapped everything except the title for some reason. Because they thought "Psychoshock" is a stupid name, I guess.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kurzon posted:

What I don't get is why Arkane Studios decided to name this game Prey instead of something original to distinguish it from the 2006 Prey. Why not "Psychoshock"? Not only would gamers not have confused this game with the 2006 one, they would have twigged that this was like Bioshock and System Shock 2. I myself was (pleasantly) astonished. I bought this game expecting a Doom clone but got System Shock 3. I read that Arkane was in fact working on a sequel to 2006-Prey to have been called Prey 2 but scrapped it when they realized they would rather do System Shock 3 instead. But why keep the title?

Arkane didn't name the game. Bethesda did.

It's obvious to me that after Prey 2 went off the rails, Bethesda snatched the IP back from Human Head and told Arkane to fix it. Instead of fixing the alien bounty hunter game, Arkane said "Aliens? Space? Hm....we might be able to use this whole "prey" thing as cover to make the game we really want to make." They kept the name because somewhere a Bethesda executive has a big folder with "Prey Project" written on it and if you change the name, the project is a failure. Keeping the name the same lets the executives save face...even if the finished project has zero connection to the initial development.

IMHO, we're very lucky that Arkane hijacked the Prey IP to make System Shock 3, which is clearly the game they've always been dreaming of making.

edit: wow, horribly beaten

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of the devs posted on Twitter that they were already making the game when Bethesda approached them and asked if the name "Prey" would work, and they figured it was close enough so they took the money and ran. Makes sense to me because who the hell would want an actual Prey sequel

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

oversteps posted:

You are a mute protagonist who wakes up after poo poo Goes Wrong on a cool space station and now horrific monsters are wandering around, almost everyone is dead, and a mysterious voice is guiding you through periodic radio contact. There are skills to unlock that you acquire by collecting cybernetic implants Adam ampoules neuromods which are scattered throughout the station to encourage exploration and completion of side quests. This should be reminding you of things. Please rest assured that Prey lives up to the system shock name and is not just dabbling in the system shock style of gameplay to cash out.

The game has a linear main plot but your exploration of the station you find yourself in can be entirely nonlinear and you have broad leeway to explore various areas and find things to do there. You will find paths blocked, and obstacles put in your way, and have multiple ways of gaining access to places and solving problems. You start out pretty drastically out powered by enemies and have to be clever and inventive to deal with them while slowly amassing skill and gear over the game to even the playing field.

I mean I can throw more words at you but in summation - everyone is saying it's system shock 3. They are absolutely right to say it's system shock 3. You will enjoy it in pretty much exactly the same ways.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

the black husserl posted:

Arkane didn't name the game. Bethesda did.

It's obvious to me that after Prey 2 went off the rails, Bethesda snatched the IP back from Human Head and told Arkane to fix it. Instead of fixing the alien bounty hunter game, Arkane said "Aliens? Space? Hm....we might be able to use this whole "prey" thing as cover to make the game we really want to make." They kept the name because somewhere a Bethesda executive has a big folder with "Prey Project" written on it and if you change the name, the project is a failure. Keeping the name the same lets the executives save face...even if the finished project has zero connection to the initial development.

IMHO, we're very lucky that Arakane hijacked the Prey IP to make System Shock 3, which is clearly the game they've always been dreaming of making.

edit: wow, horribly beaten
Corporate politics -- that makes sense to me. So many bizarre "creative" decisions in art and entertainment are in fact down to legal or political squabbles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oops, it wasn't Twitter but here's the source for my claim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqaRRtx25c

Ricardo Bare posted:

After we finished Dishonored we started working on a new project, a science fiction game structured like Arx Fatalis and inspired by System Shock. Bethesda approached us and said "Hey, if we wanted you to use the 'Prey' name, do you think it would fit with what you're working on?" And we were like 'Yeah, I think it works, it's a good name.'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

deep dish peat moss posted:

Makes sense to me because who the hell would want an actual Prey sequel

There were actually some insane goons in one of the other threads that were refusing to buy nu Prey because it was not Prey 2 they wanted from Human Head (which has barely anything worthwhile) with already outdated 2009 open-world jank and graphics and "bounty hunting" based on 4 year old 15 second e3 trailer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

There were actually some insane goons in one of the other threads that were refusing to buy nu Prey because it was not Prey 2 they wanted from Human Head (which has barely anything worthwhile) with already outdated 2009 open-world jank and graphics and "bounty hunting" based on 4 year old 15 second e3 trailer

one of my real life friends (yes, i have them) is actually one of these people. he is the kind of person who is also a large no man's sky apologist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufikwk7_AD0

I think that's fair enough because even though there's no actual gameplay in this trailer, the world does look cool. On the other hand, it also doesn't look like a Prey sequel.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I've now found and read every book in the Starbender Cycle. I think someone really enjoyed writing those. The lampooning of garbage schlock sci-fi and fantasy is just done so gleefully. I don't know which authors "Fetcher McMarvin" is a pastiche of, but I can definitely see some Patrick Rothfuss in there.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think that's fair enough because even though there's no actual gameplay in this trailer, the world does look cool. On the other hand, it also doesn't look like a Prey sequel.

They actually did put out a decent gameplay demo. It also doesn't look like a Prey sequel anymore than Prey (2017) did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4

That kind of game would have been a lot more interesting before the Ubisoft open world explosion.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

one of my real life friends (yes, i have them) is actually one of these people. he is the kind of person who is also a large no man's sky apologist.
lol how are there any NMS apologists? like even at launch? I guess I've heard it's "ok" now with patches.

:sever:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 24, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

meatsaw posted:

They will hide - I've found them cowering behind stairs and other cabinets. It only happened occasionally to me, but it seemed to happen more often once I upgraded the shotgun, so maybe if you do enough damage in one shot they run.

It turned out he'd been gibbed and the gibs had gone further away in a slightly different direction to what was expected :) At some point last night the game went from 'oh god I am scared of everything' to 'somehow I can kill everything', which is nice. I wish I could make more neuromods though, I suppose I made too many so they're locked now, and I can't figure out how to get to that dude's desk. I suppose I need ... to find a keycard or something

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

They actually did put out a decent gameplay demo. It also doesn't look like a Prey sequel anymore than Prey (2017) did.

That kind of game would have been a lot more interesting before the Ubisoft open world explosion.
Yeah that's the one. I'm a huge 80s goonygoon so I liked the neon shadowrun aesthetic, but the actual open-world gameplay would just have just been "accept generic quest to hunt randomly spawned bad npc" repeat ad nausea following dated open-Ubi shoes and looking like a kind of bad mass effect, with probably only a couple of main quests with any real work on them. It probably would have been cool in 2011 (maybe, HH does not have a good track record so I don't know why people were expecting the world) but if it was released now then it'd just be lol. I'm super glad we got SS3 instead, but there's always going to be people to want what they never got of course since the mind is infinite and vast and will make it into anything they want it to be.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like the aesthetic and weapon design, I'd have played that. But that's nothing like Prey either, agreed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

lol how are there any NMS apologists? like even at launch? I guess I've heard it's "ok" now with patches.

:sever:

he's the optimistic kind-hearted sort of person who gets super psyched and hyped up over even little $15 indie games as being the next huge hit that will rewrite entire videogame paradigms so the cult of personality surrounding the utter vagueness of No Man's Sky "It's everything ever" was a perfect vortex of non-promises and imagined features that kind of sucked him in and left him feeling like a masterpiece had been created and the entitled plebian masses had unfairly shat all over it

prey 2 is kind of the same thing except since the game never actually was released all the starry-eyed hopes and dreams he'd built up around it remain unshattered so in his mind it's much better than the prey 2017 we got

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 24, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

redreader posted:

It turned out he'd been gibbed and the gibs had gone further away in a slightly different direction to what was expected :) At some point last night the game went from 'oh god I am scared of everything' to 'somehow I can kill everything', which is nice. I wish I could make more neuromods though, I suppose I made too many so they're locked now, and I can't figure out how to get to that dude's desk. I suppose I need ... to find a keycard or something
Everything you need to get everything you need is somewhere in the neuromod division.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

Everything you need to get everything you need is somewhere in the neuromod division.

drat it! I hunted through the entire area again last night apart from the volunteer mess hall/bathroom which I'd already looked in. I suppose I should go back and take a look since I have a TON of resources for making neuromods.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

redreader posted:

drat it! I hunted through the entire area again last night apart from the volunteer mess hall/bathroom which I'd already looked in. I suppose I should go back and take a look since I have a TON of resources for making neuromods.
There's a computer in a locked office where you can disable the DRM lock on the fabricators. It's in the office of Halden Graves. His office is in the Fabrication section of the Neuromod division. You can hack the lock on the main entrance (lvl 4), or you can sneak in through a breach through the adjacent Volunteer Quarters section. You can find the keycard to his office on a corpse on the lower floor of the Fabrication area, or you can climb onto the roof of his office with the GLOO gun and shoot the door button with the nerf bow.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 24, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Human Head Studios, the developer of the original Prey, was working on the original Prey 2 bounty hunter concept. Arkane never had anything to do with it. It'd also be good to remember that the game would've come out around 2012-2013 before current gen consoles and the "everything must be open world" trend, so it wouldn't have felt as stale. Game must've been pretty far into development too as it already had its PC achievements implemented on the Steam database.

The rumoured reason for development going off-rails is that Bethesda/Zenimax attempted a hostile acquisition of Human Head.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Do you think Bethesda pressured Arkane into using the name "Prey"?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Took me long enough, but I've finally finished Prey. I hope they make a sequel! Or just make whatever you want, Arkane. It seems you can do no wrong.

Also I M. Yu

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kurzon posted:

Do you think Bethesda pressured Arkane into using the name "Prey"?

What does it honestly matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's been ages since I stopped following the ~~development stories~~ of Prey 2 (back in 2008 or so the plot still starred the character from the first game) but iirc after Human Head Studios told Bethesda/Zenimax to gently caress off the latter handed development to Obsidian for a few months which went nowhere and then to Arkane. Arkane had these leaked internal e-mails where they didn't care about Prey 2's setting/gameplay and wanted to reboot/reimagine the franchise as System Shock 3.

Edit: Here's an old Kotaku article about it and some IGN article about Prey 2's development.

GUI fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 24, 2017