Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The fact that there's still an overall OOT callback in there is :unsmith: though

the farm though

Zaphod42 posted:

Its very very likely. There's a ton of different ways they hide Koroks and its easy to miss one or the other because you're running into other ones and you don't know what you don't know.

I wonder if there's a korok guide somewhere...

the korok "puzzle" types i found:

block puzzle: 2 nearly identical stacks of blocks, one metal that needs to be moved to make them 100% identical

basketball: a circle of rocks protruding from the water surface, there should be stones nearby to throw and the korok appears once you throw a stone inside the 'basket'

stone circle: circle of (non-movable) small stones and there's one or more pieces missing, use stasis to find it.

target challenge: find a pinwheel/flower and hit the targets that pop up (some are tricky to find)

frozen korok: melt giant ice blocks to reveal a korok (but sometimes there's a monster or gem in the ice. or nothing at all). just holding a fire weapon while standing next to an ice block melts it btw, no need to waste firewood or fire arrows.

korok 'race': find a pinwheel/flower and a timed target appears that you have to run/swim/float to before the timer runs out

sparkling korok: a small trail of sparkles going around in a pattern, get close and inspect

korok-under-rock: see a lone rock somewhere? (mostly on mountaintops and large trees etc), probably a korok under it.

and then there's koroks high up on buildings/flagpoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Dictator. posted:

the farm though

More Korok Puzzle types

Offering matching: A set of N statues has N-1 ingredients as offerings in its bowls/altars. Add the same ingredient to the missinng bowl to summon the Korok, then take all the ingredients back because hey, free ingredients.

Diving Target: A small circle of plants in a body of water. Generally intended that you dive from a nearby outcropping (Or otherwise fall about a half dozen meters) into the center of it.

Fruit Picking: Find three fruit-bearing plants in a very close line (they'll appear to be touching on the map at the highest magnification) where two have one fruit, and the third has many. Pick or shoot the fruit off the third to match.

Follow the Flower: A yellow flowering plant. Touch it, and it teleports to a new location. Generally, this needs to happen four times before the Korok shows up.

Boulder Bowling: A boulder-sized depression in the ground, and one or more pushable boulders at a higher location. Move a boulder into the depression, win a Korok.

Secret Archery Target: If there are a few arrows sticking near an object that looks like it could be a target, try shooting one into it yourself.

But yeah, Koroks are pretty much at almost every interesting location in the game. Summit of a peak? Probably a Korok Puzzle there. Unusual basin or pit? Korok. Lone Tree off somewhere interesting? Probably a Korok. Weird looking structure or ruins? Head of a river? Stasisable rock of slab blocking something?The list goes on and on.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dictator. posted:

korok-under-rock: see a lone rock somewhere? (mostly on mountaintops and large trees etc), probably a korok under it.

Even more types!

The rock might be hidden - eg under a pile of leaves (bomb them) or a flat plate (stasis/octo balloon)

Targets floating under bridges

3 fences in a row to jump on a horse

Numbered flowers - clumps of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 flowers of the same type near each other. Touch them in order.

Lumps in knotholes/hollow logs (takes a bomb arrow to shift)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And if you want a map of where they are, check out this reddit post.

It doesn't tell you what type of puzzle is where, and the puzzles that are things like the flowers that you have to follow or the race locations where you have to reach a point in time show the location of the goal, not the location of the start, so there's still some hunting around to do. I like to have it up when exploring a new area since it incentivizes me to go and check out peaks and places that I wouldn't ordinarily go.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

maltesh posted:

More Korok Puzzle types

Fruit Picking: Find three fruit-bearing plants in a very close line (they'll appear to be touching on the map at the highest magnification) where two have one fruit, and the third has many. Pick or shoot the fruit off the third to match.

Boulder Bowling: A boulder-sized depression in the ground, and one or more pushable boulders at a higher location. Move a boulder into the depression, win a Korok.

Secret Archery Target: If there are a few arrows sticking near an object that looks like it could be a target, try shooting one into it yourself.

i knew i forgot some, but the ones i left in your quote i've never uncovered. drat koroks and their hiding skills.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Runcible Cat posted:

Even more types!

3 fences in a row to jump on a horse)

also never tried this. thanks

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also ones you have to stasis a big piece of metal and hit it out of the way.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

maltesh posted:

More Korok Puzzle types

Offering matching: A set of N statues has N-1 ingredients as offerings in its bowls/altars. Add the same ingredient to the missinng bowl to summon the Korok, then take all the ingredients back because hey, free ingredients.

THOSE WERE KOROK PUZZLES???

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

maltesh posted:

More Korok Puzzle types

The list goes on and on.

It sure does: a variation on this one is rolling a boulder between two trees like goalposts.

I've found almost all of these types except the horse jumping the fences, because I haven't used a horse in the last about 150 hours of play, and the arrows indicating a target. I've just collected the arrows because I figured it was just sort of window dressing! Do you mean like on a rotted-out old building or something?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It sure does: a variation on this one is rolling a boulder between two trees like goalposts.

I've found almost all of these types except the horse jumping the fences, because I haven't used a horse in the last about 150 hours of play, and the arrows indicating a target. I've just collected the arrows because I figured it was just sort of window dressing! Do you mean like on a rotted-out old building or something?

Regarding the latter: I haven't seen the specific instances you're talking about, but I know of one obvious example of that type of puzzle. Specifically: Look up on the arches on the way into Kakariko Village. Notice the metal adornment in the center? Does it remind you of something from past Zelda games (OoT onward)? Shoot the darn Eye Switches already.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

weird Asian candy posted:

Who else is as childish as me and shot light arrows up Beast Ganon's anus a few times before taking him out?

Hell yeah I did. I said I was going to punch Ganon in the dick and gosh darnit I did it!

I never found Koroks by jumping over a fence on my horse or shooting an archery target. I think I've found at least some of all the other types, though. Those little bastards are everywhere.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 24, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Burns Effect posted:

THOSE WERE KOROK PUZZLES???

do people just... not try this?

there's one in Kakariko Village right in front of Impa's house that's just begging you to put a fruit in the bowl because why else is it there?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Having completed a great deal of Korok puzzles, there is one type that I haven't seen mentioned yet: The out-of-place thing. Simply put, something is where it obviously should not be. An apple growing in a palm tree. A tree branch standing straight up on the tiny ledge of an ancient man made bridge. Just pick the item up to trigger the Korok.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

do people just... not try this?

there's one in Kakariko Village right in front of Impa's house that's just begging you to put a fruit in the bowl because why else is it there?

To be fair I think the first time I saw that outside of impas house, apples were still kinda important to have that early in the game and I just took them all without thinking.

Thankfully they reset and I did the puzzle later.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Max Peck posted:

Regarding the latter: I haven't seen the specific instances you're talking about, but I know of one obvious example of that type of puzzle. Specifically: Look up on the arches on the way into Kakariko Village. Notice the metal adornment in the center? Does it remind you of something from past Zelda games (OoT onward)? Shoot the darn Eye Switches already.

Ah, of course, that makes sense. I had seen that early on and tried to collect the arrow but I didn't think anything more of it. Clever.

As for my example, just the other night I was wandering around aimlessly as I am wont to do, north of Hyrule Castle, and in a couple little copses there are the remains of some buildings, a couple of which had arrows stuck in the walls or roof. I didn't notice anything else at that time; maybe I'll head back there and poke around some more.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Runcible Cat posted:

The rock might be hidden - eg under a pile of leaves (bomb them) or a flat plate (stasis/octo balloon)

YOU CAN USE A OCTO BALLON ON THEM?!

:arghfist::haw: This loving game!

What else are Octo Ballons good for?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Speaking of octo balloons, has anyone ever tried putting one or two on top of a mob and see if they float away? I just thought of it, and now I really want to try it. I feel like in this game, it should work...

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Thyrork posted:

There's a side quest that you need to use them for. Otherwise I haven't found any uses.

Also if you want terrible scans - and let's face it, who doesn't - of a paper map that shows each region, location for the koroks, the type of puzzle it is, and where you have to start the ones that require a journey of sorts, check this out: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75100723

I know, gamefaqs...but I've finished all of the ones in the gerudo desert and around the Yiga clan lair just north and it made quick work of it. gently caress finding all these on your own.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

weird Asian candy posted:

Speaking of octo balloons, has anyone ever tried putting one or two on top of a mob and see if they float away? I just thought of it, and now I really want to try it. I feel like in this game, it should work...

I'll bet if you dropped a bundle of balloons near a frozen moblin you could get some to attach...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
There are many different targets too. Korok jars and target signs.

Most of the mini gift shrines are apples. Some are bananas, i think there is one that uses durians.

There are also chained boulders. Standing trees with hollows. And climb to the tip.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I'll bet if you dropped a bundle of balloons near a frozen moblin you could get some to attach...

I know what I must do...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ball in hole

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dictator. posted:

the farm though

I just assume that's not the actual Lon Lon Ranch due to how far in the future BOTW takes place in comparison to OOT but a really popular tourist attraction in Hyrule like one of those living museums you see of centuries old villages and towns.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

frodnonnag posted:

Most of the mini gift shrines are apples. Some are bananas, i think there is one that uses durians.

The best one is the hard boiled egg one.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
There's a gift shrine that uses Rusty Shields near Hyrule Castle :catstare::catstare::catstare:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's one that uses boiled eggs, which I didn't even know you could cook before that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does anyone play this with the minimap and temperature gauge turned off? I'll be getting it soon and I somewhat like the idea of just getting totally lost.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also does anyone know if there's a specific trigger for Stalnoxes? I would've thought just night, but I've waited until night (not skipped with a campfire) at a big skeleton, where I've seen a Stalnox before, but nothing happened. Do they just not spawn while you're waiting in sight?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Also does anyone know if there's a specific trigger for Stalnoxes? I would've thought just night, but I've waited until night (not skipped with a campfire) at a big skeleton, where I've seen a Stalnox before, but nothing happened. Do they just not spawn while you're waiting in sight?

This. You have to reload the area at night, they won't just get up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Frankston posted:

Does anyone play this with the minimap and temperature gauge turned off? I'll be getting it soon and I somewhat like the idea of just getting totally lost.

The first thing I did was turn on pro hud

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I just assume that's not the actual Lon Lon Ranch due to how far in the future BOTW takes place in comparison to OOT but a really popular tourist attraction in Hyrule like one of those living museums you see of centuries old villages and towns.

When your magical kingdom is razed by a giant evil pig demon every century or so, I imagine Lon Ranch, if still run by Malon's descendants, has been burnt down and rebuilt many times.

"North" in Hyrule seems to have drifted over time. Flip the old map upside down, and it's almost a perfect fit for the Great Plateau!

Like it was mentioned, the Temple of Time is constant in both maps, the old Hyrule Castle lines up with the "Eastern Abbey", the Forest of Spirits is almost in the same location as the original Kokori Forest (and there's a gigantic hollowed-out fallen tree in the center of it), and Mt. Hylia could very well be the original Death Mountain.

If that last one is being too generous, you can go a little farther to south west, to the next biggest mountain, which is Spectacle Rock.

Size comparison map: http://i.imgur.com/tvHB6WH.png

Zelda timelines are passe, Zelda geography is where the real action is

Frankston posted:

Pro HUD is also where the real action is. There's plenty of cues in the environment to tell you the same things the HUD does. You can always just peek at the time and temperature on the map screen, too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Literally Kermit posted:

"North" in Hyrule seems to have drifted over time. Flip the old map upside down, and it's almost a perfect fit for the Great Plateau! .

BotW is so far in the future that there's been a magnetic field reversal

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't know, the BotW map is still similar overall to the OoT one if you assume the Great Plateau is one of those inaccessible mountains in the southwest of the OoT map, between Gerudo Canyon and Lake Hylia. In BotW, Tabatha, Hebra, Necluda and everything north of Hyrule Castle are also areas outside the boundaries of OoT Hyrule. Most of the landmarks more or less match except for the Kokiri forest (although it could be the woods and jungle in Faron in BotW).

Edit: it's a hell of a lot closer than to the map in Twilight Princess, at least...

Kassad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 24, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kassad posted:

I don't know, the BotW map is still similar overall to the OoT one if you assume the Great Plateau is one of those inaccessible mountains in the southwest of the OoT map, between Gerudo Canyon and Lake Hylia.

The problem there is that the Great Plateau has several strong indications that it's the Hyrule Castle + Castle Town from OoT.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just to be sure, some of the Shrine quests and one of the Main Quests are supposed to be from ????, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGZElRJtyCo

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just to be sure, some of the Shrine quests and one of the Main Quests are supposed to be from ????, right?

Yep. That just means that the Shrine Quest Giver is effectively the nameless monk corpse in the shrine. Usually happens when the shrine quest is triggered by Link's arrival at a particular location.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

Yep. That just means that the Shrine Quest Giver is effectively the nameless monk corpse in the shrine. Usually happens when the shrine quest is triggered by Link's arrival at a particular location.

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.

So now it's basically just farming star fragments and dragon parts left for me :( And I suppose Korok seeds but :lol: if I'm gonna bother with that until the DLC.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Kassad posted:

I don't know, the BotW map is still similar overall to the OoT one if you assume the Great Plateau is one of those inaccessible mountains in the southwest of the OoT map, between Gerudo Canyon and Lake Hylia. In BotW, Tabatha, Hebra, Necluda and everything north of Hyrule Castle are also areas outside the boundaries of OoT Hyrule. Most of the landmarks more or less match except for the Kokiri forest (although it could be the woods and jungle in Faron in BotW).

Edit: it's a hell of a lot closer than to the map in Twilight Princess, at least...

The Link to the Past map is also a pretty good match when tilted 45 degrees clockwise. Fun fact: Hebra was apparently the name of the light world version of Death Mountain in both Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds (Japanese versions and French, oddly enough, in LBW), so it's yet another reference or recycled name (or both!) Nintendo's managed to sneak in.

There are a lot of places on the map that I'm pretty curious about. Like, the Ancient Tree Stump, the Akkala Citadel and the apparent battle on the Torin Wetland, heck all the villages we've never seen before that are now in ruins. I sincerely hope Nintendo pounds some lore into the world at some point. And also expands northward to see if they'll acknowledge Zelda 2's map at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the old dude at the stable in faron basically hints but i took it as a confirmation that the dueling peaks was the original death mountain from Oot and if it fits with the temple of time too.

can't remember the exact thing he says but it was something along the lines of it being one mountain a very very very long time ago and a dragon used to live there (fire temple)