Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

dirksteadfast posted:

...oh God don't make it about Maverick competing to prove that real people can outfly drones. Stealth was not a good film.

A plane downloading the 2017 Internet would just start the race war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

...oh God don't make it about Maverick competing to prove that real people can outfly drones. Stealth was not a good film.

neither was Top Gun.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
what if Maverick ejects from his Tomcat and spikes a quadcopter on the way down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Red Dawn and ...?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that movie ended up being wuite successful given they didn't release it in theaters. They cashed in on the controversy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Red Dawn and ...?

I was actually thinking of the game franchise Homefront. Although I forget which one was always North Koreans and which one was originally China until their publisher realized it'd be financial suicide.

Point is. Absolutely no one buys North Korea as a viable threat as an invader.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You're actually correct about the game Homefront, it was like the Total Recall remake where they got very far into production with the enemy being China. But then Total Recall tried to erase that completely (they did a lovely job) and for Homefront the invading country became North Korea.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that movie ended up being wuite successful given they didn't release it in theaters. They cashed in on the controversy.

Double checking now, I'm surprised that it did get released in theaters, just very few carried it. Sony sort of hedged their bets and rather than pulling the movie, basically said they no longer endorse/approve of the film existing but theaters could show it if they want because they weren't going to seriously enforce stopping them. The movie cost like $40 million did $11 million in theaters, then very shortly after it got dumped onto Netflix and then DVD/blu-ray super fast, but it wasn't even on Netflix for too long and has been gone for a while now. I know Hollywood math is legendarily bullshit but I can't imagine they made too much off of it if anything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 24, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about On Demand? I thought I remembered it doing very well on that before going in Netflix and home release

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looking forward to the subplot that explains Val Kilmer's face

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

Looking forward to the subplot that explains Val Kilmer's face

You mean surviving oral cancer?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is that really the reason? Preemptive whoops I'm an rear end in a top hat if so

edit: how did i miss this

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 24, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

Is that really the reason? Preemptive whoops I'm an rear end in a top hat if so

In a recent reddit ama he said he had a "healing of cancer"

e: I had seen rumors thanks to clickbait headlines like "Why is Val Kilmer wearing scarves around his neck everywher?!" but Kilmer confirming it was the first time I took it as fact.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Val Kilmer's not really someone I check in on so I missed him going from looking really overweight to looking really old and yep I'm an rear end in a top hat. Always liked Val Kilmer when he was young and just assumed he didn't give a poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last thing I saw him in was MacGruber and he ruled

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Val kilmer owned in kiss kiss bang bang. Also hell yean TOP GUN 2 how is everyone not super excited for that? I hope that they steal a pair of miraculously working Tomcats from the Iranians. Also taking bets on Goose Jr, my moneys on Ryan Gosling

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

Val kilmer owned in kiss kiss bang bang. Also hell yean TOP GUN 2 how is everyone not super excited for that? I hope that they steal a pair of miraculously working Tomcats from the Iranians. Also taking bets on Goose Jr, my moneys on Ryan Gosling

Val Kilmer made a couple of interesting C movies no one has seen or will ever see in the last decade but yeah kiss kiss bang bang was pure ownage.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: Transformers 1986 chat

Tars Tarkas posted:

The same spaceship mausoleum later crashed into a sun, destroying the dead bodies of all your favorite toys that died in the movie and also some they told you were dead but you didn't see die.

Good news everybody, we finally get to see those other characters die! The 1986 film was originally a lot more brutal and killed off a bunch more characters with several of those scenes getting cut for time but people have since discovered the storyboards for those scenes and uploaded them. Here's Sunswipe getting killed by the Constructicons, for example.

Some on the onscreen deaths were also watered down and were originally much more gruesome. Ultra Magnus gets shot to death in the final version but in the storyboards he actually got drawn and quartered.

And in case anyone was still in any doubt, the writer confirmed in a 2015 interview that the entire point of the movie was to kill off or alter all the old characters and introduce the new toys:

quote:

TR: Did your writing process change when you began scripting the movie as opposed to the TV show?

FD: Well, it did from the point of view that we knew this was going to be a very big movie. Of course, the purpose of the movie was not only to have something in theaters, but also to introduce next year’s product line. Which meant that we had to first kill off the old product line to make way for the new toys.

TR: So Optimus Prime had to die?

FD: Exactly. We just didn’t realize that it was going to bother anybody! :laughs:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

syscall girl posted:

Val Kilmer made a couple of interesting C movies no one has seen or will ever see in the last decade but yeah kiss kiss bang bang was pure ownage.

One of those C movies (I think) is Blind Horizon, which was filmed in my hometown and everyone I knew was an extra in some scene or another. We were all hoping it'd be successful.

I don't think it even got an actual release in the US. My dad bought a DVD from Germany so we could actually watch it.

But Val Kilmer seemed nice. That's my story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Watch Lost Soul for stories of him not being nice.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Parasol Prophet posted:

One of those C movies (I think) is Blind Horizon, which was filmed in my hometown and everyone I knew was an extra in some scene or another. We were all hoping it'd be successful.

I don't think it even got an actual release in the US. My dad bought a DVD from Germany so we could actually watch it.

Cool. I was thinking of the one where he's a war vet with a missing leg and beats Joe Arpaio to death with it.

And the one where he's a con who idk, survives the sick rear end con fights and teaches a new con a valuable lesson.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the one where he's Native American and gets visions and all the other Native Americans are jealous that this off-res Native American who blends in with the whites (on account of him looking just like a Swede) gets a vision.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

kiimo posted:

I like the one where he's Native American and gets visions and all the other Native Americans are jealous that this off-res Native American who blends in with the whites (on account of him looking just like a Swede) gets a vision.

Graham Greene is awesome in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAKoB3Ll7jI

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Casimir Radon posted:

Watch Lost Soul for stories of him not being nice.

Oh, I never actually met him so I wouldn't know for sure either way. Now that I think of it, I don't remember a lot about being an extra except that it was super awesome to 12-year-old me.

Blind Horizon's the one where he's an FBI agent who wakes up with amnesia in a small border town. We never finished watching the movie, so all I know is that he goes to a movie theater at some point and later gets shot at by bad guys in the plaza.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yeah I wasn't even being sarcastic when I said "I like the one" it's just pretty funny I'm led to believe Val Kilmer is Native American.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EML9VkKteXY

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Lot to process with that one

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

LOL!

Two of our favorite franchises have crossed over in both game and comic book form, so maybe one day we'll get the ultimate movie...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Macross Plus is pretty cool though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MH Knights posted:

Macross Plus is pretty cool though.

Can we get Brian Crayston to reprise his role for the live action version?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God, what I'd give for a (good) Macross Plus live action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0BHRluhNY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Macross Plus is seriously top 5 anime of all time, it is Extremely loving Good

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Saw this trailer before Alien: Covenant

I must say, the rise of nerd culture as an identity and a thing is making me feel my age.

This just looks dire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwBzUWZGS4

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Macross Plus is seriously top 5 anime of all time, it is Extremely loving Good

Agreed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

I must say, the rise of nerd culture as an identity and a thing is making me feel my age.

This just looks dire:

So someone saw a double feature of Super 8 and Raiders: the Adaptation and thought "I can make something less charming and not as good as either of those..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pP24WIw78I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvtyqwHhoQ

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

So someone saw a double feature of Super 8 and Raiders: the Adaptation and thought "I can make something less charming and not as good as either of those..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pP24WIw78I

That protagonist screamed Napoleon Dynamite to me, just with movies instead of a more general twee awkwardness.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

This just looks dire:

I watched to the end, trying to figure out why that guy reminded me of John Francis Daley, only to learn that it IS John Francis Daley.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ahah what the gently caress is that poo poo. Why not just film a room full of nerds jerking each other off. It's the same thing and infinitely cheaper to make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched to the end, trying to figure out why that guy reminded me of John Francis Daley, only to learn that it IS John Francis Daley.

John Francis Daley from long, long ago

quote:

Johnson began funding the project in 2001 and filming took place from 2004-2006. Additional shots were filmed in 2015 and 2016, making the filming course span a total of thirteen years.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John Francis Daley from long, long ago

Ok that makes way more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Wow, I thought this was already released like a decade ago, I guess they just wanted to lose even more money first

• Locked thread