Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

TJ will miss weight then beat DJ, then lose to Cody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think he can make 125. It seems like he's pretty small compared to most 135 guys

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He is very lean tho. Lean and ripply

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Caught up on TUF before this week's episode.

I really hope Garbrandt loses all the preliminary rounds. It's hilarious he's lost this many so far.

I haven't really been emotionally invested in any of the last 10 or so TUF seasons, but if Julian loving Lane is the first one to turn it around for Cody - against Stripper Ramsay, no less - I'm gonna be bummed.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

I think he can make 125. It seems like he's pretty small compared to most 135 guys

He probably can, but the nightmare scenario for DJ begins with TJ missing weight. DJ needs to be paid to take that risk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's not crazy for MM to insist that TJ make the cut and fight before he agrees to the bout IMO. However, the UFC will likely throw money at him so he signs anyways.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bubba Smith posted:

. Demetrious Johnson himself fought for years at 135.

Why was that again?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

Cruz vs. TJ did 125k buys, if TJ is a bigger draw it's really marginal

I thought that fight was on free tv, an FS1 show, which earned the 2nd highest ratings ever only coming behind Conor McGregor's fight

all i know is tj dillashaw has done good ratings on free tv before, while demetrious johnson pulled the worst ratings in UFC on FOX history in his last outing. Pay TJ Dillashaw to take the MIghty Mouse fight

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

Why was that again?

There was no 125 I think

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

There was no 125 I think

Correct.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
TJ is a warrior, mighty mouse is a drat nerd. Mighty mouse is scared of fighting someone who isnt a 2-0 prospect.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mighty Mouse should fight TJ for free and if doesn't, he's a pussy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mewse posted:

Vice's fightland continues their strident defense of anything Cyborg does because mumble bodyshaming mumble

Everybody should read this. It's like an insane screed from an alternate universe.

quote:

Cris Cyborg may be the perfect spokesperson for the enterprise.

Presumably in that she looks and acts like a Klingon.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 24, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Work Friend Keven posted:

TJ is a warrior, mighty mouse is a drat nerd. Mighty mouse is scared of fighting someone who isnt a 2-0 prospect.

Thank you.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I get the fear that he will miss weight but tj absolutely does not need to beat some no name at 125 first. Cody will be healthy after that anyway and tj will be back to fighting for that title

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bubba Smith posted:

I thought that fight was on free tv, an FS1 show, which earned the 2nd highest ratings ever only coming behind Conor McGregor's fight

all i know is tj dillashaw has done good ratings on free tv before, while demetrious johnson pulled the worst ratings in UFC on FOX history in his last outing. Pay TJ Dillashaw to take the MIghty Mouse fight

You are correct, for some reason I read the buyrate chart for TJ vs. Joe Soto as TJ vs. Cruz :doh:

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Mighty mouse would kick TJs rear end , lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I get that there are other factors at work here but yeah, TJ lost to Cruz largely because Cruz was too fast for him and Mighty Mouse has even more cardio and is even faster than Cruz was. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lmao at cruz being too fast for tj

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Skip My Posts posted:

lmao at cruz being too fast for tj

He was too fast for TJ to land anything solid or clean on him until he slowed down and his foot hurt or whatever it was, yeah

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
fighting completely to avoid any real exchanges, throwing winging punches with no power while exiting the pocket and still getting kicked in the face 8 times isnt too fast for tj

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
while mm is way better than cruz in every way he is much smaller and will be taken down by tj i'd bet

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

while mm is way better than cruz in every way he is much smaller and will be taken down by tj i'd bet

If it goes to the ground, DJ is probably a significant favorite.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I disagree that he's a significant favorite anywhere. I think it's closely matched

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder what the difference in weight would be at fight time. I'd guess that DJ's going to be giving up a significant amount.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Salaries don't have to be based on drawing power, particularly when drawing power can be directly influenced by the promoter to no small degree unless you're a mega-star like Conor who transcends logic in terms of popularity. If the UFC keep putting you on the undercard of foreign fight night cards, you're not going to get any drawing power.

Then what should they be based on? I'm asking in earnest. As it stands, promotors make money in 3 ways: 1) Ticket Sales, 2) PPV Sales, 3) TV Deals. Unfortunately, MM doesn't provide much value in any of those categories.

As far the the promotor creating stars, that's a different issue, but I'm firmly in the camp the promotor has very little control over that. If it were up to the UFC, they'd make every fighter as popular as McGregor so they could clean house every weekend selling million buy PPVs. The UFC can put MM on our TV sets everyday, but they can't make us care about him and they surely wish we did. Personalities sell tickets. Perfect jabs do not. To me it's hard to say he deserves more because his technical skills exceed those of others. The technical skills of fighters do not make the UFC more money. He needs to sell more tickets, however the hell he can, in order to really "deserve" more money, IMO.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

At least 500k per fight.

Please show your work.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

1st AD posted:

Cruz vs. TJ did 125k buys, if TJ is a bigger draw it's really marginal
That fight was on TV.

TJ vs Soto is the one that did 125k buys, and that card was about as bad as it gets for generating buys. Danny Castillo co-main.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tesilential posted:

Then what should they be based on? I'm asking in earnest. As it stands, promotors make money in 3 ways: 1) Ticket Sales, 2) PPV Sales, 3) TV Deals. Unfortunately, MM doesn't provide much value in any of those categories.

The reason I talk about MMA on the internet instead of run the UFC is because I don't have all the answers or even good ideas but they can definitely do more to pay fighters based on their overall performances. You should get more money for being a better fighter, and it's not like I'm saying drawing power should be removed from the equation, only that it shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Anything that would raise the pay grade for the majority of fighters at the top, middle or bottom would be good.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I wonder what the difference in weight would be at fight time. I'd guess that DJ's going to be giving up a significant amount.

significant in terms of human pounds or large dog scale?

this is starting to get into conor mcgregor fighting a man three times his size in nate diaz territory. TJ ain't that big.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I guess DJ can fight 3-0 prospect Cam Larburger on a fs1 fight night for slightly less than he makes in twitch donation money if he's really that scared of fighting an actual fighter, it's not like I want to watch him fight in either case.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

significant in terms of human pounds or large dog scale?

this is starting to get into conor mcgregor fighting a man three times his size in nate diaz territory. TJ ain't that big.

10 pounds is pretty big when you're down at 125. At heavies, it's nothing. It's not an absolute rule where 10 pounds is never big or always huge.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

but steel is heavier than feathers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: TJ is 4" taller but only 1" of reach.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Everybody should read this. It's like an insane screed from an alternate universe.

I lolled at Cyborg being bullied for her "assumed steroid use". Assumed and confirmed by steroid testing

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Uh do you mean her therapeutic drugs for which she has received an exemption? This is exactly the kind of bulling being talked about.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Uh do you mean her therapeutic drugs for which she has received an exemption? This is exactly the kind of bulling being talked about.

Yes and the other times she tested positive for steroids also. Apologies to her

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The reason I talk about MMA on the internet instead of run the UFC is because I don't have all the answers or even good ideas but they can definitely do more to pay fighters based on their overall performances. You should get more money for being a better fighter, and it's not like I'm saying drawing power should be removed from the equation, only that it shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I also don't have any inside knowledge or scoop and am just trying to apply common sense and logic for the sake of conversation with the only other people on earth that care to talk about this poo poo.

Drawing power is the only objective metric they have. Guys that make them the most money get paid the most money, or should be. Like what if Sergio Pettis beats MM in 6 months? Should MM's salary be slashed because he's not the best anymore? Should Sergio immediately become the highest paid guy since he beat the best guy? I don't know man, it seems too hard to determine in a sport when the best are not the best for long. Especially when you have MMA triangles like Rory>Woodley>Wonderboy>Rory. If Woodley wasn't champ and Rory was still in UFC, who deserves to be paid the best? BJ Penn is horrible at this point but he still commands a good purse because of whatever popularity of his remains.

Drawing power is measurable via PPV buys, ticket sales, TV viewership, etc. They can look at who has the best numbers and pay them accordingly. If you want a raise, draw more attention to yourself. Just putting people on TV doesn't magically make people care about them. MM main flaw is his personality is completely average and unremarkable.

I do agree it's a whacky business and it's insane that Mighty Mouse probably made less than VP Matt Hughes in 2015.

E: The new ownership structure probably make it worse for guys like MM. Can you imagine the CEO telling shareholders they are gonna start paying out more money for "better fighters" instead of focusing on fighters that make them money.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 24, 2017

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Probably that time when she got caught taking stanozolol and was suspended for a year.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

manyak posted:

Yes and the other times she tested positive for steroids also. Apologies to her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqWpVujWxk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

I also don't have any inside knowledge or scoop and am just trying to apply common sense and logic for the sake of conversation with the only other people on earth that care to talk about this poo poo.

Drawing power is the only objective metric they have. Guys that make them the most money get paid the most money, or should be. Like what if Sergio Pettis beats MM in 6 months? Should MM's salary be slashed because he's not the best anymore? Should Sergio immediately become the highest paid guy since he beat the best guy? I don't know man, it seems too hard to determine in a sport when the best are not the best for long. Especially when you have MMA triangles like Rory>Woodley>Wonderboy>Rory. If Woodley wasn't champ and Rory was still in UFC, who deserves to be paid the best? BJ Penn is horrible at this point but he still commands a good purse because of whatever popularity of his remains.

Drawing power is measurable via PPV buys, ticket sales, TV viewership, etc. They can look at who has the best numbers and pay them accordingly. If you want a raise, draw more attention to yourself. Just putting people on TV doesn't magically make people care about them. MM main flaw is his personality is completely average and unremarkable.

I do agree it's a whacky business and it's insane that Mighty Mouse probably made less than VP Matt Hughes in 2015.

E: The new ownership structure probably make it worse for guys like MM. Can you imagine the CEO telling shareholders they are gonna start paying out more money for "better fighters" instead of focusing on fighters that make them money.

1) Drawing power isnt the only reason guys get paid, they have to (in theory) think about the sustainability of the sport in the future. Some NBA benchwarmer who plays a few minutes a year doesnt bring in $400k of measurable value to the team but guys like that are required for the economy of the sport. Just like guys on the fight pass undercard arent bringing $20k worth of viewership but its important they get paid a decent amount so they can train properly and the league can have a roster of guys to fill out cards, build up contenders, etc. So first off drawing power is only one of many reasons why guys get paid what they do

2) drawing power is far from objective, in fact its really really difficult to actually measure. How do you account for the drawing power/added value of a guy who fights on the undercard, usually puts on exciting fights etc but isnt a headliner? Theres a lot of noise and the number of UFC fights most guys have is a small sample size. Its usually not as simple as just looking at the numbers

3) a lot goes on behind the scenes for promotion and the amount the UFC is willing to invest in a fighter can make a big difference, theyve put big promotional drives behind guys that turned out to be duds and theyve failed to promote guys that had good drawing potential, so its not as easy as just "who has the best personality", its a value judgement on the UFCs part

Its tangential to the MM discussion, who we can pretty safely say is not a big draw, but drawing power isnt that objective and its far from the only reason guys get paid what they do

• Locked thread