Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of crashed and died, Nicky Hayden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PCOS Bill posted:

Cmon guy

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/05/22/2006-motogp-champion-nicky-hayden-dead-at-35.html

quote:

American motorcycle racer Nicky Hayden died on Monday from injuries suffered when he was struck by a car while riding a bicycle in Italy five days ago, the Maurizio Bufalani Hospital in Cesena, where he was being treated, has confirmed.

Hayden was on a training ride on the Rimini coast following a race at Imola when he was hit. He sustained multiple injuries in the accident, including severe cerebral damage.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

PCOS Bill posted:

It's not FARK, it's SomethingIsAwful.com

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yeah, I don't think that's what he meant by c'mon guy.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Someone needs to start a petition to have I-69 in KY named the Nicky Hayden Memorial Expressway.

I'm serious. Pass it on.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

King of the Beach posted:

Someone needs to start a petition to have I-69 in KY named the Nicky Hayden Memorial Expressway.

I'm serious. Pass it on.

69 runs about 30 miles west of Owensboro, Nicky's home town. I could see a petition like this going somewhere.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Jazzzzz posted:

69 runs about 30 miles west of Owensboro, Nicky's home town. I could see a petition like this going somewhere.

I'll boost it later then elsewhere, feel free to do the same!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like I'm paying too much in insurance, here's my current bike insurance:

I also have 2 cars, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with the same company. They have been easy to deal with when I've had claims in the past though.

Oh my, I am paying 3 times as much for 0.1 as much $ amount. Ugh, may be I need to shop for another insurer. Although when I did a year ago, one of the quotes was 7k...

E: Yeah, Geico wants 3k for equivalent of your coverage. And $2800 for min coverage.

pokie fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 22, 2017

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Re: that triumph quote. I'm a brand new rider with 0 years of experience listed and got quoted $981 on the exact same thing you've got written up there. So probably not unless you're married with kids and over 30 with a house with a garage (all things I am not) then you're probably doing ok for your quote. But insurance rates vary tremendously.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just got my new bill for the next period and it looks like my Daytona insurance is now $900/year, with no claims on any policy during the last period. I'm married, mid-30s, house with a garage, etc, but it sounds like that may be the Daytona + LA tax.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I'm not prepared to agree that California is cool.

But their filtering rules are alright.

Merge California's weather with New Hampshire's laws (plus lane splitting), and that's a state I'd move to.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Deeters posted:

Merge California's weather with New Hampshire's laws (plus lane splitting), and that's a state I'd move to.

Which part of California?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Deeters posted:

What New Hampshire laws? :q:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

What New Hampshire laws? :q:

Probably "no income tax or sales tax" but that just means the state rapes you, as a resident, instead of offsetting it by out of state revenue through sales. NH sucks, the Arizona of the North imo

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Self inflicted first world problem rant but those times you have a camera but forget/don't turn it on and you make a really good/fast run of a road are the worst. I have a great Launch road run in my head but the cam died a minute in due to the battery running out.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

Deeters posted:

Portugal?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

I changed jobs and my new office building has a magnetic sensor that doesn't recognize my bike, which means my key card won't open the gate, and I can't just take a ticket to get in. Even better is the gates are not manned, there is someone in an office in the morning that can see me get stuck and open the gate for me, but at night I'm on my own. The gate (wood bar, whatever) is long enough that I can't get by, I tried one day, almost dropped the bike trying to lean it far enough to get by, then got it stuck on my side until the car behind me opened it up. Is there One Weird Trick (TM) to get around this? I'm tempted to just hacksaw off 1ft of the gate late at night.

There is a "press here to call for help" button, which after 10 calls (not rings, calls) to a number no one answers, will eventually cause the gate to open, but that takes around 5 mins. I did see a cruiser in the garage one day, I think I'm going to have to be the weirdo who leaves a note on someone's bike asking how the gently caress they get in and out every day. I'm guessing the bike is just enough bigger to set off the sensor.

Just practice a bit and then do this every night?

https://youtu.be/boI71KRxTTY?list=FLHvOhDBgZqoQg91sw57_-aw&t=97

The Bananana posted:

What state has the most vehicle/motorcyclist accidents?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That sounds INSANELY high. So I went looking for some stats.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Sweden: 5.1

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, UK: 9.3

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, NZ: data unavailable (AFAICT), but extrapolating from other data puts NZ at about 17.6.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Texas: 58.63

Welp.

EDIT: I done hosed up a bit. 58.63 is for US avg and Texas has a higher fatality rate overall, but I can't find a specific number for Texas. So 58.63 is probably lower than the actual Texas number. A ballpark guess would put TX at about 63.

a dangerous thot
Dec 19, 2016
i call cars smith machines

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Every time I'm at a motorcycle meetup, it's always the sportbike guys with almost no exhaust just revbombing all over the place. You'll be having a conversation and then all of a sudden everything is drowned out for five seconds while some jerkoff in no gear slams a cold bike against the limiter. This happens once a minute towards the end.

It doesn't even sound good. Just loud.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coydog posted:

Every time I'm at a motorcycle meetup, it's always the sportbike guys with almost no exhaust just revbombing all over the place. You'll be having a conversation and then all of a sudden everything is drowned out for five seconds while some jerkoff in no gear slams a cold bike against the limiter. This happens once a minute towards the end.

That's why you don't ride with other people. I rode with the first person that wasn't my kin last week and it was a lurker here.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nsaP posted:

That's why you don't ride with other people. I rode with the first person that wasn't my kin last week and it was a lurker here.

This reeks of a fedorist saying he doesnt have sex out of choice, hes just waiting for the right woman.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Would be true if you could have sex better by yourself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

This reeks of a fedorist saying he doesnt have sex out of choice, hes just waiting for the right woman.

I've been thinking about gluing a tiny fedora to the top of a helmet. M'cycle.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

nsaP posted:

Would be true if you could have sex better by yourself.

I have sex the best by m,yself just ask Sarah

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

EX250 Type R posted:

I have sex the best by m,yself just ask Sarah

Sarah Palin?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Coydog posted:

No poo poo...seriously, just no please stop. I'm pretty sure I already posted this take in another thread but holey moley are motorcycle exhaust videos absolutely terrible and useless (when it comes to using them to figure out what to buy) because this is what they all are 3/4 of the time...as if the concept of being 'under load' was just completely lost upon these people who seemingly haven't progressed much since they were born from being under their father's load.

It doesn't even sound good either and more than half the time the engine is cold.

Impkins Patootie fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 25, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is what they all are 3/4 of the time...as if the concept of being 'under load' was just completely lost upon these people

Right??? Jesus Christ, it's next to impossible to find someone recording the sound of the exhaust when the engine's actually, you know, driving the bike. No, let's have thirty seconds of shaky-cam with heavy mouthbreathing, followed by starting the bike up and immediately pinging it off the limiter in neutral with zero load so that even a 1000cc V-twin sounds like a power drill.

I honestly doubt those people have even noticed that the exhaust sound changes with throttle position independently of RPM.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's why you search for "<bike model> <exhaust model> flyby" instead.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

nsaP posted:

No poo poo...seriously, just no please stop. I'm pretty sure I already posted this take in another thread but holey moley are motorcycle exhaust videos absolutely terrible and useless (when it comes to using them to figure out what to buy) because this is what they all are 3/4 of the time...as if the concept of being 'under load' was just completely lost upon these people who seemingly haven't progressed much since they were born from being under their father's load.

It doesn't even sound good either and more than half the time the engine is cold.

:corsair::corsair::corsair:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

hot sauce posted:

rrrrNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINNRRRRrrrrNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNINGNING

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Skreemer posted:

My wreck, where there was nothing broken, I drove myself to the hospital, and had 6 x-rays done, then I was immediately released, has been billed out to my insurance company for about 26k$. I don't quite have 5K laying about to cover that. It goes against the other driver's insurance. If anything had gone majorly wrong or I had spent a full day in the hospital, it could have easily gone over the 10K state minimums.

I had no health insurance and just the bare minimum insurance on my bike when I crashed the first time. I got a ride home and to the hospital and after about 3 hours there with pain meds and multiple x-rays on my twice broken arm I think I paid about $400 while there and then got a bill for $50 for the x-rays and my doctors bill (who I talked to for about 5 minutes) was $700. A month later they sent me a new bill for 50% off because it was Christmas, if paid in full. This was in Phoenix (Tempe more specifically.)

How they hell do you rack up $26k for x-rays?!

tjones
May 13, 2005
Insurance. It's a loving racket if they know you are insured and will charge up to the maximum amounts of coverage.

If you pay out of pocket in cash, it's much more reasonable.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Although often the insurance companies have negotiated better rates, so people with no coverage pay full "bend over" pricing.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The entire surgery on my radius bone including the plate and 7 screws ($20k alone) was billed to insurance at $46k. I am pretty sure none of the x-rays were even over $5000. I've come out of pocket for some X-rays in the past in the neighborhood of $500. I'm not saying a $26k set of X-rays is impossible but that sounds more like MRI territory.

Edit: looking at the bill, the insurance company negotiated the actual cost of $75k down to $46k. The way they make it sound, if I had no insurance the surgery would have been $29k more billed from the hospital.

rally fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 25, 2017

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

The_Raven posted:

Word. I bitched them out in a reply to a survey the other day. gently caress the 20 dirtbags on dirtbikes that are restricted from riding 1/1000 of this gagnormous land mass, gently caress the graybeards and their prehistoric iron garbage that won't run E10. How about actually PROMOTING MOTORCYCLING by making commuting a more attractive option? It will get more people on bikes if they can filter through the shitstorm of commuting fucktards! The AMA is just like the NRA - an organization that represents manufacturers and patronizes owners, using them as muscle for their lobbying efforts on behalf of the manufacturers. The only reason I'm a member is for the cheap roadside assistance.
Sorry I don't agree with your anti-AMA rant. I've been a member on and off for decades and the AMA has done a ton of lobbying work over the years to prevent motorcycles and motorcyclists from treatment as second class citizens on the road. Not sure if you are too young to remember but the AMA was instrumental in laws designed to prevent employers from denying healthcare benefits based on participating in motorcycling. See HIPAA's provisions on barring companies from denying health insurance based on participation in legal activities. The federal agencies then interpreted the law to mean that insurance had to be offered but coverage could exclude those activities. The AMA lobbied to change that interpretation through legislation. If it weren't for the AMA in part, motorcyclists wouldn't get health insurance even at work.

Motorcycles were originally banned from HOV lanes. It's the AMA who helped with the "Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991" which is the reason why motorcycles can use HOV lanes.

As far as lane splitting goes, the AMA supports responsible lane splitting: and in fact lane splitting is the first position statement listed in their list on on highway position papers.
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/About-The-AMA/lane-splitting-1
And that they supported Washington State's lane splitting legislation efforts
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.co...ashington-state

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 26, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The lane splitting proposal in Washington was garbage.
That aside, doing and/or supporting some good things in the past doesn't absolve the organization from being poo poo in its current form.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Yuns posted:

Sorry I don't agree with your anti-AMA rant. I've been a member on and off for decades and the AMA has done a ton of lobbying work over the years to prevent motorcycles and motorcyclists from treatment as second class citizens on the road. Not sure if you are too young to remember but the AMA was instrumental in laws designed to prevent employers from denying healthcare benefits based on participating in motorcycling. See HIPAA's provisions on barring companies from denying health insurance based on participation in legal activities. The federal agencies then interpreted the law to mean that insurance had to be offered but coverage could exclude those activities. The AMA lobbied to change that interpretation through legislation. If it weren't for the AMA in part, motorcyclists wouldn't get health insurance even at work.

Motorcycles were originally banned from HOV lanes. It's the AMA who helped with the "Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991" which is the reason why motorcycles can use HOV lanes.

As far as lane splitting goes, the AMA supports responsible lane splitting: and in fact lane splitting is the first position statement listed in their list on on highway position papers.
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/About-The-AMA/lane-splitting-1
And that they supported Washington State's lane splitting legislation efforts
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.co...ashington-state

The AMA had a lot going for it for quite a long time. Running the racing series, they sold it off. Selling scenic tours around the US, simply fired all of the staff and closed it down. Plus a few other things. All of these are gone now and replaced with AMA: we're a lobbying group only now. You are correct, they are a great lobbying group but they used to be so much more. Now that they focus almost 100% on the lobbying side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Go to mechanics to get my chain tensioned and some new brake pads put in, because everything's seized and I'm a weak lazy babby. Get quoted £25. Nice!

Aaaaaaand they found a nail in my rear tyre. :cripes: £171 like for like replacement (PR4, and because the front wheel has to come off too to fix a seized valve cap). I only had the thing put on last August, barely any wear on it :(

Non rant: salesman suggested putting a Pirelli Angel ST on there instead, brought it down to £134. Also payday was yesterday, so it's not as bad as it could have been. But fuuuuuuck :bang: