Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

It should not be ignored that charters actually have a decent following in minority communities with concerned parents who see it as a way for their children to actually have a chance at success in areas where the schools are terrible.

I don't know what % that is but it's not just wealthy whites.

There's not much difference in support for charter schools across racial groups.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Basically. In 'bad' school districts it's a way for the students that have more involved parents to get their kids out of the system. In the case of gentrifying whites (See: Weehawken NJ, among other places), it's a way to not have to send their kids to the schools with those same troubled kids. It's a win-win for each of those groups.

And the (not fully corrupt) charters know this. They know they can get the good kids with involved parents no matter what the income background to send their kids.

Which then, in turn is catastrophic to the public school system in many ways.

Public "Magnet" schools without entrance requirements pose exactly the same problem.

And Special Ed is bizzaro world where neighborhood public schools have the best services so even rich, savvy parents are going to send their kid with autism to a class with all the proles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:bisonyes:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Jaxyon posted:

It should not be ignored that charters actually have a decent following in minority communities with concerned parents who see it as a way for their children to actually have a chance at success in areas where the schools are terrible.

It's still a FYGM attitude. Sure, it's defensible and terrible that people in these communities feel they have to look outside the public school system in order for their kids to have a chance, but that doesn't change the underlying truth of what they're doing: pulling money out of an already cash-strapped public school system and letting their kids benefit at the expense of the kids who remain at public schools.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Doctor Butts posted:

Northern Ohio is not to blame for this.

Correct. Northern Ohio best Ohio.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Last November I called up a few of my old A.C.E. contacts and miiiiight have allowed one or two of them to "lead me to Christ" in order to get them thinking I was back in their camp had a long chat about old times so they would share insider information the good works the lord is doing in their lives. Anyways I wrote the below post based on what I was able to piece together/infer from a couple such conversations.

Prester Jane posted:

So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

It seems to me that the religious right intends to re-fight the LGBT culture wars with children since they lost the argument with adults.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 24, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
30 years from now, Cyborg Scorsese is gonna make a movie about the rise and fall of Fox News.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

One thing is for certain: If he loses, this thread will have half a dozen posters LOSING THEIR MINDS about how the Democrats are DEFINITELY doomed forever

"He would have won if he had pushed for full communism!!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Baronash posted:

It's still a FYGM attitude. Sure, it's defensible and terrible that people in these communities feel they have to look outside the public school system in order for their kids to have a chance, but that doesn't change the underlying truth of what they're doing: pulling money out of an already cash-strapped public school system and letting their kids benefit at the expense of the kids who remain at public schools.

A lot of folks are in "bad school districts" because they are really poor and can't afford to live in "good school districts" so describing it as FYGM is pretty tone-deaf.

It's certainly a plan to gently caress over public schools and funnel money to private ones but it's occurring top down and those implementing it are the people deserving of your ire.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/867413308864909313

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, my only issue with if what he did is legally treason under the US Constitution is that he took the bribe from Turkey, not ISIS. His goal was assisting Turkey, not ISIS, but to assist Turkey he did assist ISIS. Which one controls?

I think that was support in general. The 21% is his "strong support."

The argument could be made that especially he, as a general, would know that in this instance helping Turkey directly worked against US interests.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

evilweasel posted:

His covering up was so loving incompetent it was backfiring. The Republicans want the Trump probe quietly obstructed, not loudly obstructed. Nunes was giving away the game so he got yanked out.

I know the event that precipitated it but I'm not so sure about why he went along with it. Even now the majority of R voters don't think the whole Russia thing is a big deal, he could have dug his heels in if it had been winnable.

e: also it has nice narrative symmetry with Chaffetz's side :tinfoil:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/867430774374617088

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

37% is a new low!

Yup! The only lower number I've seen was gallup polling had him at 35 for a day and 36 for two days, but this is the new low for Q poll.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

It's pretty much this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-submarines-idUSKBN18K15Y

quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump told his Philippine counterpart that Washington has sent two nuclear submarines to waters off the Korean peninsula, the New York Times said, comments likely to raise questions about his handling of sensitive information.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Skyline Chili owns hard I wish they had restaurants in Texas.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How long until the military begins lying to Trump about sensitive information?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thread already talked about this, but it's arguably a larger breech of national security Intel than what he told the Russians.

Also another laughable instance of hypocrisy after he whined about Obama announcing troop movements.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sent?

Oh dear.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Correct. Northern Ohio best Ohio.

Truly a high bar :v:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How long until the military begins lying to Trump about sensitive information?

Now I'm imaging a button in the war room that flips all the maps and charts from actual military deployments to the electoral map.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

lol the georgia race has gotten so expensive local tv stations are reorganizing their lineup so they can show more political ads:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygomez/georgia-special-election-has-republicans-wondering-about?utm_term=.kgKq6bxz4v#.shA4rRLvnZ

quote:

Several GOP operatives noted that the party’s committees can use the threat of losing control of Congress as a selling point as they work their donor base.

“When faced with the thought of Speaker Pelosi,” said Corry Bliss, executive director of the Congressional Leadership Fund, “there’s nearly an unlimited amount of money that Republicans can raise the next two years.”

Literally "the fact that we're losing means that we can win!"

I mean, they SHOULD run on that if they want to win, but pretending like being in a bad position is actually a GOOD position is really dumb

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really hope she's part of the russian collusion, and they can seize her assets if not jail her. At the end of this, she deserves to be left penniless or worse for loving with the education of children and bringing back discrimination that hasn't been seen in nearly three quarters of a century.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I really, really hope she's part of the russian collusion, and they can seize her assets if not jail her. At the end of this, she deserves to be left penniless or worse for loving with the education of children and bringing back discrimination that hasn't been seen in nearly three quarters of a century.

I hope so but i think she just bought her position the old fashioned way and is, not at all unexpectedly, unable to do it well.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

theflyingorc posted:

Literally "the fact that we're losing means that we can win!"

I mean, they SHOULD run on that if they want to win, but pretending like being in a bad position is actually a GOOD position is really dumb

In a bizarre twist of fate, Clinton's 2016 laziness and self-assured of their victory will be mirrored by republicans for years to come!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Jaxyon posted:

A lot of folks are in "bad school districts" because they are really poor and can't afford to live in "good school districts" so describing it as FYGM is pretty tone-deaf.

I said this right in the second sentence. I'm not necessarily blaming them for taking advantage of any edge afforded to them. My issue is with using support in minority communities as a defense of charters, which I understand isn't exactly what you were saying, but it comes up frequently. Minority communities support them for the same reason rich white people support them: a small percentage of them get to attend these schools while actively hurting the remaining students who don't. It's a lovely system that fractures education spending in this country, and support of charters is a symptom of a disease, not the cure.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Dress for the job you want, right Melania?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

I hope so but i think she just bought her position the old fashioned way and is, not at all unexpectedly, unable to do it well.

Her brother is both a professional collector of war criminals/mercenary thugs and was involved in trying to set up a back channel for Trump and Putin.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Why is Melanie Trump dressed like she is in mourning.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Blitz7x posted:

:sbahj:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Manchester

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

Yup! The only lower number I've seen was gallup polling had him at 35 for a day and 36 for two days, but this is the new low for Q poll.

It's gonna be funny when the GOP holds the House with him at like 26% approval.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hollismason posted:

There's apparently a tradition that only Catholic queens can wear white while visiting the pope. As to whether that requires everyone else to wear black, I don't know

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
where is the drat CBO report.....

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

:eyepop:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this as bad as it looks to me? Like this looks even worse to me than the Israel Intel thing. He basically just also told North Korea that we just parked nuclear weapons close by them. I don't know how much of a secret it was though. In any case he was clearly bragging to duterte to impress him exactly like he did with the Russians and for the same reason.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I mean, the concept of chili on pasta is fine, it's just the execution that fails.

I'm pretty anxious about the Montana special election.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Basically. In 'bad' school districts it's a way for the students that have more involved parents to get their kids out of the system. In the case of gentrifying whites (See: Weehawken NJ, among other places), it's a way to not have to send their kids to the schools with those same troubled kids. It's a win-win for each of those groups.

And the (not fully corrupt) charters know this. They know they can get the good kids with involved parents no matter what the income background to send their kids.

Which then, in turn is catastrophic to the public school system in many ways.
The way that it would affect public schools is, completely on its own, more than enough reason to not support DeVos' agenda, and then there's all the discrimination beyond that.

Public schools, by their very nature, have massive fixed costs yet have their funding tied heavily to student headcount, so letting funding go to fly-by-night unregulated charter schools necessarily means less money being spent on "discretionary" stuff like music, art, or sane class sizes.

DeVos wants all education to be private and gently caress you if you don't make enough to send your kids to a "good" school (or even any school). It's totally worth it to put the screws to those fat-cat unionized teachers.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

There's apparently a tradition that only Catholic queens can wear white while visiting the pope. As to whether that requires everyone else to wear black, I don't know

Traditionally yes, although required is less apt than expected.

Francis has relaxed the expectation but the Trumps went in very traditional.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/melania-ivanka-trump-stuck-traditional-vatican-dress-codes-meeting/

cited as explanation and for the pic of Michelle in traditional veil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

empty whippet box posted:

Is this as bad as it looks to me? Like this looks even worse to me than the Israel Intel thing. He basically just also told North Korea that we just parked nuclear weapons close by them. I don't know how much of a secret it was though. In any case he was clearly bragging to duterte to impress him exactly like he did with the Russians and for the same reason.

We talked about it earlier and if they're SSBNs then it's very, very bad but all our subs are technically "nuclear subs" because of their powerplants so it could just be a couple of random subs with a carrier group. So it's either "holy poo poo gently caress" bad or just regular "Trump is dumb" bad.

• Locked thread