Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy A. Person posted:

I wonder if there will be some sort of time skip?

Yes, of about four months like every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, uh....that was certainly a last episode of a TV show season.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want to believe this means Wally is the new Flash from now on and we can hit the reset button on this whole shambling mound of stupidity, but since I haven't heard of any incoming cast departures, this is all gonna get erased in the very first episode of next season :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Yes, of about four months like every season.

They should pull a Samurai Jack and have Barry pop out of the Speed Force like 10 years in the future or in whatever year that stupid future headline from Season 1 takes place and have him spend half a season trying to get back to the past just so that drat thing can come true already when he finally does go back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Also, I feel like they're trying to do a greatest hits of the Flash, and this is their take on Barry dying and Wally taking over. It won't be remotely permanent and undone in something like 1-3 episodes, but it'll be their play on that part of the comic's history. Now I'm curious if they're going to change the intro narration.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nine-gear crow posted:

Or flip the whole thing on its head. Create a time remnant and go "dude, love her with all your heart, be a great friend to everyone, and be a better Flash than I was. Laters!" and then fling himself into the Speed Force and then just follow that Barry for the rest of the show and all the wacky CW DramaTM guaranteed to come about because of it.

Oh, wow. That would have been a WAY better ending.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Phenotype posted:

Oh, wow. That would have been a WAY better ending.

Isn't that exactly how they got Savitar in the first place?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Now I'm curious if they're going to change the intro narration.

"My name is Wally West, and I'm the fastest man alive. When the Flash died, I became the Flash, and also inherited his supporting cast which is good because I have nothing going on. I think I'm supposed to be a college student? Or was a college student, it hasn't really come up in awhile. Maybe they'll redecorate the Newspaper office set into being a college set, god knows we haven't been using it"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I mean Savitar didn't happen just because he was a remnant, it was because everyone was a huge piece of poo poo to him because he wasn't the ~real Barry~. Which, honestly, how the gently caress did future!Barry not realize his remnant was Savitar after everyone treated him like a piece of poo poo?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GLOSS posted:

Finally that homicidal maniac is locked up where he belongs!

A good finale :unsmith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Isn't that exactly how they got Savitar in the first place?

No, Savitar was the time remnant created to save Iris that got trapped in the Speedforce somehow, after people were lovely to him. If Barry created a time remnant and then handed the remnant his life, and then willingly went into the Speedprison himself, it would have been a great inversion of how Savitar was created.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That would be crazy as gently caress if Wally became the lead next season. I hope they go through with it for an episode or two at least.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Phenotype posted:

No, Savitar was the time remnant created to save Iris that got trapped in the Speedforce somehow, after people were lovely to him. If Barry created a time remnant and then handed the remnant his life, and then willingly went into the Speedprison himself, it would have been a great inversion of how Savitar was created.

But then when OG Barry inevitably returns there'd be too many Barrys and one of them is gonna get the shaft. Then it's Savitar 2: Electric Boogaloo and he'll have to go to the past and kill HR Wells to ensure his existence.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

But then when OG Barry inevitably returns there'd be too many Barrys and one of them is gonna get the shaft. Then it's Savitar 2: Electric Boogaloo and he'll have to go to the past and kill HR Wells to ensure his existence.

Go read the post I was actually responding to. It was just an alternate way they could have ended the season, with time remnant Barry living life as The Flash and Original Barry willingly sacrificing himself and not turning into Savitar. Why are you arguing with me?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

Go read the post I was actually responding to. It was just an alternate way they could have ended the season, with time remnant Barry living life as The Flash and Original Barry willingly sacrificing himself and not turning into Savitar. Why are you arguing with me?

Because Savitar pretty clearly established that Barry is kind of a poo poo, and if he lost his friends and family to someone else he'd turn into a crazy supervillain. As it is now, he can enjoy the self-pity while he's trapped in hell, but if he left another Barry out there he'd grow jealous and crazy and break out of speedhell, becoming Savitar

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because Savitar pretty clearly established that Barry is kind of a poo poo, and if he lost his friends and family to someone else he'd turn into a crazy supervillain. As it is now, he can enjoy the self-pity while he's trapped in hell, but if he left another Barry out there he'd grow jealous and crazy and break out of speedhell, becoming Savitar

In the proposed scenario, Barry would have wholeheartedly given up his life to the time remnant knowing he needed to atone for his crimes, and wouldn't have become Savitar.

And again, this is a theoretical ending to the season imagined by someone who wasn't even me. It doesn't happen the way you said it does because it happens the way I said it does (because it's purely theoretical). Stop arguing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Phenotype posted:

In the proposed scenario, Barry would have wholeheartedly given up his life to the time remnant knowing he needed to atone for his crimes, and wouldn't have become Savitar.

And again, this is a theoretical ending to the season imagined by someone who wasn't even me. It doesn't happen the way you said it does because it happens the way I said it does (because it's purely theoretical). Stop arguing.

No need to get defensive, it's just theorizing what that ending would lead to based off the series history. Sure it could work if Barry was a stable and righteous human being, but if he were he wouldn't be going to speedgitmo in the first place.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

howe_sam posted:

His entire arc in LoT was trying to avoid the consequences of his actions.

And them constantly trying to catch up with him. Then finally doing so.

I still have no clue what the gently caress they thought that ending was going to be, though. Having Barry actually win without murdering the gently caress out of his opponent (and Iris getting the agency to kill him in defense of Barry) was a solid place to end things. Creating this asinine downer cliffhanger when there's no chance in hell they just ditch their lead of 3 seasons makes no real sense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They're trying to do the All Star Superman ending. "Fixing the sun."

Trouble is, Barry isn't All Star Superman, he's just an rear end.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't believe they wrote Caitlyn out into a spin-off that doesn't exist

I want her to end up on LoT as next season's "female character we only have for a season." She can learn that being a cold based character doesn't mean she has to be evil, have a doomed romance with a main character (since Ray and Nate had their turn let's mix it up and have the romance be with Captain Lance), and at the end of the season when they dump her character she can come back to Flash just in time for Season 4 to start.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd watch a LoT with Caitlin Snow. She'd be great, I demand more cold puns.

Whoever wrote that episode needs tomatoes thrown at them. Terrible writing.
Thank gently caress we get 2 episodes of Wally next season. New suit, hopefully.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 24, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:lol: they're doing the Arrow season 3 finale poo poo where the main hero disappears for a few episodes into season 4

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

They should pull a Samurai Jack

NO.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

8one6 posted:

I want her to end up on LoT as next season's "female character we only have for a season." She can learn that being a cold based character doesn't mean she has to be evil, have a doomed romance with a main character (since Ray and Nate had their turn let's mix it up and have the romance be with Captain Lance), and at the end of the season when they dump her character she can come back to Flash just in time for Season 4 to start.

Have her show up as a sole surviving member of a Suicide Squad.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Is Draco sticking around? The new genious doctor?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Balon posted:

Is Draco sticking around? The new genious doctor?
Yeah Felton is going to be a regular for s4 last I checked. Finally the "in love with Caitlin" curse is broken! Maybe because she didn't actually fully date him like the other two.

When Barry comes back, I hope he gets that sick rear end suit from the future Flash episode.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
good. i hope barry loving stays in there.

barry allen sucks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is it a good idea to have Wally as the new Flash when just a couple of episodes ago we established that undoing Savitar makes him lose his powers?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bruceski posted:

Is it a good idea to have Wally as the new Flash when just a couple of episodes ago we established that undoing Savitar makes him lose his powers?
As with most things, it has been conveniently forgotten.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

spaceships posted:

barry allen sucks.

Maybe we can get earth 17's fun loving Larry Allen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I'd watch a LoT with Caitlin Snow. She'd be great, I demand more cold puns.

:stare: I now officially NEED this to happen. A reformed Killer Frost would fit in nicely with the Legends crew.

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe we can get earth 17's fun loving Larry Allen.

They should just bring back Jay Garrick and have him be the Flash for the rest of the series.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 24, 2017

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

spaceships posted:

barry allen sucks.

That's the new opening narration for season 4.

"My name is Barry Allen and I'm just the worst."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This was a good way to end the series.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

I was honestly hoping for something like

nine-gear crow posted:

Or flip the whole thing on its head. Create a time remnant and go "dude, love her with all your heart, be a great friend to everyone, and be a better Flash than I was. Laters!" and then fling himself into the Speed Force and then just follow that Barry for the rest of the show and all the wacky CW DramaTM guaranteed to come about because of it.

Except instead of Barry creating a time remnant, during the final battle they actually get through to Savitar and figure out how to keep him in existence through SPEEDFORCE. Then the ending plays through exactly the same way except instead of Barry going into the speedforce it's Savitar by choice to save everyone. It'd be a good redemption story flip on them trapping him there.

Or maybe flip that and Savitar staying and Barry going, leaving room for classic CW romance drama once Barry gets out again, and Savitar eventually dying or going into the speedforce to replace Barry in the 4th season.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So does this mean that Wally West is now the Flash? Red suit and all?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Alter Ego posted:

So does this mean that Wally West is now the Flash? Red suit and all?

Yep! From now until S04E01!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He needs a new suit. The face mask doesn't look great, and if he's supposed to be Kid Flash, why did you give him the mask with the heavier brow and more pronounced forehead lines? Who are the costume wizards who came up with that one?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'd love to see them do a complete time skip all the way until 2024 when Iris writes that article about the Flash disappearing, which has now become a retrospective about Barry's time as the Flash before he got locked down. Wally is now THE Flash, and Barry has become a distant memory to almost everyone. Unfortunately that would screw with the now mandated crossover episodes with the other DC shows, so it can never happen...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That was so terrible lol. Basically nothing was resolved in a satisfying manner. Cisco and his convenient plot powers is getting annoying. Is there any reason why he couldn't just Vibe the gently caress out of there?

Caitlin just suddenly not being evil but not being good or wanting to fix herself was just stupid.

DadFlash showing up was awesome, but again made no sense with regards to the Speed Force earlier in the season.

I get that they want to end on a clifhanger but they don't need to leave so many things basically unresolved.

Hopefully next season will start with "My name is Wally West, and I am the Fastest Man Alive". He'll be the Flash, Barry will come back and Wally will become Impulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

ruddiger posted:

That would be crazy as gently caress if Wally became the lead next season. I hope they go through with it for an episode or two at least.

honestly, I want this wally to be worthy of the title - the wal man and do a story arc that would make enzo matrix from reboot proud.

and finally a season where barry didn't do it. :p

• Locked thread