Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lote posted:

It's not a 20% premium hike.

Next year, the high end estimate is 20-30% increase in premiums for the ACA.

The CBO forcast is 20-30% + an additional 20% premium hike.

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you think this is the CBO scoring Ryan or McConnell want.

I doubt they care. They can pass it in reconciliation which is all that matters. They will just lie about the rest of the bill and their rubes will believe them.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you think they aren't happy with this. It made the reconciliation limit. That's probably all they wanted.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

So this bill does literally nothing to improve healthcare over existing law (in most cases dramatically worsening it), and the only selling point is it cuts taxes on the rich.

I see no way for this to survive the Senate, other than suicidal Republicans.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Mick Mulvaney is out there basically saying "I care more about my unborn grandchild than I do about whether living poor kids get food" and you think this is gonna make them break stride? They'll just doggedly stick to the idea that the bill SAVES MONEY :downs: and a decent portion of America will buy it or decide the CBO is FAKE NEWS.

I think the Senate has difficulty getting 50 votes for this monstrosity, though. Heller, Flake, Collins, Portman, possibly Burr and Murkowski are probably going to balk at the Medicaid cuts.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Skyr posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/867481059784626177

Melania is giving her heart to an Italian infant because she can't take this anymore

The twist: It's Donald's heart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skyr posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/867481059784626177

Melania is giving her heart to an Italian infant because she can't take this anymore

Must have been a relief interacting with someone who has both the mind and body of a child

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Trabisnikof posted:

I promise you we are about an hour out from a Ryan tweet or statement pointing out "Over 1 Billion in savings!!!!". The CBO could report that it will outright kill 200 million americans and Ryan/McConnel would spin it as a huge reduction in medical waste/fraud.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Mick Mulvaney is out there basically saying "I care more about my unborn grandchild than I do about whether living poor kids get food" and you think this is gonna make them break stride? They'll just doggedly stick to the idea that the bill SAVES MONEY :downs: and a decent portion of America will buy it or decide the CBO is FAKE NEWS.

and then their Medicaid and SSI will get taken away and then they'll die lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

So you're saying with this new bill, they expect a hike of up to 50%?!

Actually, it's 30% higher than 120% of this years.

so up to 56%

hahahahah premiums next year could go up ALMOST SIXTY PERCENT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

If it can pass reconciliation it is, isn't it? I mean they can't actually claim they care about the impact when they rushed to beat the CBO score.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My Twitter Account posted:

Only until the plague takes care of them.

Dishonored and Deus Ex are both good games but I can't afford the nanomods right now.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

not really sure what you'd like to see them do that they're able to at this point

a.) Loudly condemn the bill.
b.) Communicate via empathy for those losing coverage & anger towards rich getting tax cuts, not just smugness.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The CBO did not attempt to determine what states would ask for waivers.

quote:

As a result, CBO and JCT’s estimates reflect an assessment of the probabilities of different outcomes (without any explicit predictions about which states make which choices) and are, by the agencies’ judgment, in the middle of the distribution of potential outcomes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It should go without saying, but this is class warfare.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Trabisnikof posted:

"Poor people get hosed over" is something both Ryan and McConnell will probably masturbate to tonight

B B
Dec 1, 2005

If you think the 20% premium increase is crazy:

https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/867482139566145536

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

androo posted:

b.) Communicate via empathy for those losing coverage & anger towards rich getting tax cuts, not just smugness.

They're going to do both of these things but they take longer than 15 minutes.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Must have been a relief interacting with someone who has both the mind and body of a child

Lmao

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

The CBO did not attempt to determine what states would ask for waivers.

Seems reasonable. They probably started with New York and California at 0% chance of asking for a waiver, Alabama at maybe 80%, and then figured out the expected average.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

androo posted:

a) There's going to be any number of Democrats who do this.
b) I'm not sure what this means, but this literally just happened 20 minutes ago. Maybe wait to see what their response is first?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

B B posted:

our only hope is the AARP lmao

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

B B posted:

What in the actual gently caress

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

B B posted:

that's the good news: states without waivers would be 940%

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B B posted:

Mother of god.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

fsif posted:

No, this is democide.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fsif posted:

Lining people up to shoot them in the head is not war

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Mother of god.

Remember that woman that tried to run her rep off the road?

There's going to be more of those stories.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ted Bundy and Waco: The Video Game

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
old poor people: you are dead. the end. you're simply dead.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The GOP may have been hoping the media would announce "hey, it got a little better, 1 million more people insured!" Instead, the media is blaring 23 million will lose coverage by 2026 in 80-point font.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pendragon posted:

Lol if you think they aren't happy with this. It made the reconciliation limit. That's probably all they wanted.

Realize they had to have the house pass a bill that will raise premiums, cut off insurance for 50+ million and give massive tax breaks to the wealthy, just to have the senate replace the entire bill anew. All those town halls and any blowback they get over this (and there will be tons because healthcare matters to individuals) will be for a loving nothing bill.

Alter Ego posted:

You're missing the forest for the trees. It doesn't matter if their base keeps listening to Rush, the fact the CBO scoring is so bad for a pointless bill hurts them with their reluctant and moderate voters.

The Republicans have tricked you into seeing incompetence as wisdom by beating expectations. The idea the House bill would fail the CBO reconciliation limit assumes Ryan's team majorly hosed up on their math.

Instead, they didn't gently caress up their math, they just made the house pass a pointlessly ghoulish bill to try and appease a right wing that can't be appeased.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

but what about the high-risk pools?????

quote:

Although CBO and JCT expect that federal funding would have the intended effect of
lowering premiums and out-of-pocket payments to some extent, its effect on communityrated
premiums would be small because the funding would not be sufficient to
substantially reduce the large increases in premiums for high-cost enrollees. To evaluate
the potential effect of the $8 billion fund, looking back at the high-risk pool program
funded by the ACA prior to 2014 is useful. Within two years, the combined enrollment of
about 100,000 enrollees in that program resulted in federal spending of close to
$2.5 billion.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

RZA Encryption posted:

Remember that woman that tried to run her rep off the road?

There's going to be more of those stories.

She has a legitimate argument now that that was self-defense.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

old poor people: you are dead. the end. you're simply dead.
"Fox News said the DEMONCRATS did this! Better keep voting for Republicans!"

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/BrendanBuck/status/867478659669647361

https://twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/867481626657345537

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Have any GOPers come out in favor of these results yet? The spin will be terrible.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

evilweasel posted:

but what about the high-risk pools?????

Pretty much what we all expected. $8bil is nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

Have any GOPers come out in favor of these results yet? The spin will be terrible.

why yes

paul ryan has

• Locked thread