Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I loving hate poo poo like that USA Today tweet because I can already see supporters of the bill rolling it into the rhetoric of their defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

What did the deleted tweet say?

It said that the bill failed reconciliation requirements and needed to be revoted in the house.

A few people celebrated but most people were confused and went "uhhh, no it didn't. You are wrong, explain please".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It claimed that the bill did not qualify for reconciliation, which appears to be false (it does).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

pumpinglemma posted:

Quist is running heavily on healthcare, isn't he? And the special election is tomorrow?

Yep, he broadly supports Obamacare, wants to move to single-payer, and has been against the AHCA. And yep, it is indeed.

So this is about as good a bit of news he could have got outside of Gianforte appearing in the piss tape.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That the bill violated reconciliation rules. It seems he misread something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/867487551900323840

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dude how wild would it be if Hannity got fired. O'Reilly gone, AIles dead, and soon Hannity sacked. The Trump effect!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mister Adequate posted:

Yep, he broadly supports Obamacare, wants to move to single-payer, and has been against the AHCA. And yep, it is indeed.

So this is about as good a bit of news he could have got outside of Gianforte appearing in the piss tape.

Gianforte also donated money to white nationalist groups.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

This bill will never pass the Senate. They may or may not vote for something else, but McConnell said this morning that he wasn't sure how to get to 50 on any health care bill.

The score was eagerly anticipated by political nerds like us, and Democrat ad writers needed to know what number to fill in the blank for next year's attack ads.

Try tomorrow. The Democrat in Montana's special election is running on this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Not everyone who votes Republican is a Drudge reader and Nazi lover.

The former maybe but the latter absolutely. Donald Trump said literally everything he was going to do. They voted for him anyway. There is absolutely no case to be made for it. The most positive reading is "they assumed he was lying" which means they voted for someone they thought was lying about doing terrible things and assumed the risk that he'd do them was worth it. Even if they don't support him now they did when it mattered and only changed their mind because it hurt them personally.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

This whole thing feels a lot more like political masturbation for Ryan than anything else.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Could we please not link to tweets without providing the text so the next time this happens it's not three pages of other people asking what the original now-deleted tweet said?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I realize he's spinning hard enough to provide energy to the entire globe here, but is there anything anywhere in this report that says premiums will go down? At least saying that it lowers the deficit is technically true.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doesn't it literally not lower rates according to the CBO?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

It raises premiums! What is he smoking?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Rates are going to go up an additional 20% over what they would if Obamacare remained in place.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/867483782156345344

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jesus christ how the gently caress do you even keep a straight face and say something good about that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

It does, eventually, completely because insurance covers less.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mcmagic posted:

Gianforte also donated money to white nationalist groups.

everything I learn about that piece of poo poo makes me hate the fucker more.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I realize he's spinning hard enough to provide energy to the entire globe here, but is there anything anywhere in this report that says premiums will go down? At least saying that it lowers the deficit is technically true.

From what I understand, if you laser in on people trying to buy junk insurance, which will be legalized in states that drop essential health benefits, the junk insurance will be cheaper than real insurance.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My gut tells me this is all horseshit. I mean, obviously, yeah, but I don't see any significant reduction in premiums mentioned, and they plan to give any deficit savings right back to themselves in the form of tax cuts, setting it right back to where it was (or likely more, honestly)

e: even assuming stripping 10s of millions of people of the health care coverage was for some reason an alright thing to do in exchange for whatever claimed benefits, it doesn't even do those things

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Could we please not link to tweets without providing the text so the next time this happens it's not three pages of other people asking what the original now-deleted tweet said?

No. Posting only the link is convenient, I'm fine with the drawback of people later asking what it says the rare times when it is deleted.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I will do my best to outlive Paul Ryan and desecrate his grave at every available opportunity.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A guillotine is too good for Ryan.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

From what I understand, if you laser in on people trying to buy junk insurance, which will be legalized in states that drop essential health benefits, the junk insurance will be cheaper than real insurance.

Also it looks like narrow groups of people (the very very healthy and young) will have lower premiums.

The old get turbofucked, most people get proper hosed, but the hitler youth do alright.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

My gut tells me this is all horseshit. I mean, obviously, yeah, but I don't see any significant reduction in premiums mentioned, and they plan to give any deficit savings right back to themselves in the form of tax cuts, setting it right back to where it was (or likely more, honestly)

It will lower premiums for the wealthy, healthy people who are not already in a precarious position concerning health coverage and have no real reason to be concerned with reform - and that's all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Always remember it was the "moderate" Republicans that bent and voted for this rather than the Freedom fuckers that went for a less evil bill. There are no good Republicans so we can all stop pretending.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

socialsecurity posted:

It only increases rates in the short term. Eventually, after you tell the old and sick people to gently caress off and die, then rates will be lower for everyone else who survives.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As awful as this is, I'm hoping Democrats don't fumble this golden opportunity. The hard part is messaging it to people but they have much of the work cut out for them.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

From what I understand, if you laser in on people trying to buy junk insurance, which will be legalized in some states, the junk insurance will be cheaper than real insurance.

Yep, insurance premiums will go down in the sense that a certain group (young, healthy) can go back to buying insurance that covers basically nothing.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/867486868547547136

emphasize this. Killing poor old people for tax cuts.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It saves ~11.9 billion dollars/year for 10 years on a ~4 trillion dollar annyal budget.

That's a budget shaving of .003%

What a victory for fiscal responsibility!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The former maybe but the latter absolutely. Donald Trump said literally everything he was going to do. They voted for him anyway. There is absolutely no case to be made for it. The most positive reading is "they assumed he was lying" which means they voted for someone they thought was lying about doing terrible things and assumed the risk that he'd do them was worth it. Even if they don't support him now they did when it mattered and only changed their mind because it hurt them personally.

Or instead of going "I love nazis" they could be ignorant and desperate and think things like "Democrats are coming for my guns" or "American Healthcare sucks and Trump wants to change it" or "He's bringing the factories back!!!" etc etc etc.

You're assuming the barriers to information are lower for everyone than they actually are. While it easy for you or I to figure out the truth behind "Will Trump bring back the factories?" that's not true for most Americans.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It does, eventually, completely because insurance covers less.

And it lets healthy people who are selfish and irresponsible voluntarily reduce their premiums to zero, which he's a huge fan of for some reason.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I suppose once all low-skilled jobs are automated you don't technically need poor people anymore. Their only mistake was starting the extermination plan early.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

And it lets healthy people who are selfish and irresponsible voluntarily reduce their premiums to zero, which he's a huge fan of for some reason.

No, their premiums become very, very low. Until they get sick. Then the next year they spike through the roof.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Confounding Factor posted:

As awful as this is, I'm hoping Democrats don't fumble this golden opportunity. The hard part is messaging it to people but they have much of the work cut out for them.

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

fsif posted:

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

As an answer to that I will point out his district includes part of Milwaukee county which elected David Clarke.

• Locked thread