Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Or instead of going "I love nazis" they could be ignorant and desperate and think things like "Democrats are coming for my guns" or "American Healthcare sucks and Trump wants to change it" or "He's bringing the factories back!!!" etc etc etc.

You're assuming the barriers to information are lower for everyone than they actually are. While it easy for you or I to figure out the truth behind "Will Trump bring back the factories?" that's not true for most Americans.

Ignorance and desperation isn't a defense and it needs to stop being an excuse. The same wouldn't be accepted in the opposite direction. It can explain things but it isn't an excuse and shouldn't be apologized for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

And THIS is what I don't understand. Like, at all.

The AHCA would cost less than the ACA does, but still a lot more than doing nothing at all like we were before. And yet this is basically returning us to pre-ACA uninsured levels, only now it costs a shitload to do the same as doing literally nothing?

Under the "do nothing" plan how do we give rich people more money huh?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This thing will pass the Senate. Just like last time some Republicans will be given a hall pass. But Pence will laugh as he confirms the vote with his tie breaker. This is Devos 2.0.

I've been telling people that Republicans will try to kill as many people as possible while they have power. No one believed me. This bill confirms it as will it's confirmation in the Senate.

There is no filibuster. There is no hope. Republicans will retain the senate in 2018.

This is reality.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

WRT the Manchester bombing and leaked photos; this is all Donny Boy needs to point at the NYT as a threat to security and really put the pressure on.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ReidRansom posted:

The AHCA would cost less than the ACA does, but still a lot more than doing nothing at all like we were before. And yet this is basically returning us to pre-ACA uninsured levels, only now it costs a shitload to do the same as doing literally nothing?

$1 trillion moved from healthcare to rich people tax breaks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Republicans are just outright evil.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

fsif posted:

Maybe a primary challenger?

Beat that one 84 to 16, and also beat out a uh... "trump conservative". I mean I don't know his district or Wisconsin at all but I think we will unfortunately be cursed with Ryan's presence until he dies during the Great Shadowfall.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 24, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Come on, Ryan! Give these people (health c)AIR!

*hisses* "THEY'RE NOT PAYING THE FAIR MARKET PRICE!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa, whoa, WHOA there, buddy. It eases the tax burden on the poor, overtaxed and underpaid rich while returning us to pre-ACA levels of poor-killing, that ain't nothing!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Paul Ryan strikes me as the kind of motherfucker who would keep signing off on "special projects" for Weyland-Yutani because this time it has to work.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

I've found this AHCA bill to be a bizarre piece of politics. A bad bill that cuts access to healthcare to give tax breaks to the rich was expected from the GOP, but I'd have expected them to gently caress over the young, non-GOP voters at the expense of the older, politically-active, GOP-leaning voting block.

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

No, their first order of business is and always has been the upward redistribution of wealth through massive tax cuts, and they don't care at all who they hurt or kill on the way to accomplishing that. In their eyes the ACA is just a giant pool of money that the rich deserve more than anyone else so that's who's gonna get it, come hell or high water.

They see this past election as something between a fluke and a miracle and they know they have a limited amount of time to take advantage of it, so they're going to forcefully jam garbage like this through and make a mess doing it before it's too late.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/867493557325762561

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Fart City posted:

Paul Ryan strikes me as the kind of motherfucker who would keep signing off on "special projects" for Weyland-Yutani because this time it has to work.

Weyland-Yutani didn't care if the crew lived or died; they were expendable. That said, killing the crew of the Nostromo or the colonists on Acheron was not the primary goal of Weyland-Yutani.
Killing the poor and elderly is the primary goal of Ryan.

Republicans, as always, compare unfavorably to fictional depictions of monstrous capitalism run wild.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

When looking at this graph, remember that healthcare was the issue of 2008 because it was reaching a legitimate crisis point. Dumping insured levels back down to pre-ACA levels while cutting protections and coverage for those that still have insurance is going to be an unbelievable disaster, especially if there's any kind of economic downturn while this is all going on. This plan is loving insane on every level.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
One of those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maybe I'm naive, but I assume most conservative parties in other countries are nowhere near as evil as the GOP, and are basically in favor of being a little less generous but still wanting people to be cared for at some level.

Our conservative party is run by a cartoonishly evil brotherhood of supervillains. I imagine people in other countries are confused and horrified for our sake.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/867494737300918276

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/TheoTypes/status/867494822990446592

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Covok posted:

This thing will pass the Senate. Just like last time some Republicans will be given a hall pass. But Pence will laugh as he confirms the vote with his tie breaker. This is Devos 2.0.

I've been telling people that Republicans will try to kill as many people as possible while they have power. No one believed me. This bill confirms it as will it's confirmation in the Senate.

There is no filibuster. There is no hope. Republicans will retain the senate in 2018.

This is reality.

This bill doesn't start saving money for the average premium until 2021 or after. In the meanwhile, premiums will increase +25% on top of any predicted Obamacare premium increases. The forecast is basically +50-70% premiums in 2020 from 2017 premiums. This will crush the Republican Party. White non-educated working class aged 50-64 went for Trump like 65/35.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mcmagic posted:

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

No, they're stealing 1T of your healthcare, and spending 900B of it on tax cuts and the rest on deficit reduction

Its much worse

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/867494769018228739

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress, WaPo:

Melania and Ivanka Trump Show the World What Feminine Power Looks Like

quote:

All politics aside, Melania and Ivanka Trump stood as beacons of light in a part of the world that remains cloaked in the darkness of religious fundamentalism and oppression. Preternaturally beautiful, they seemed to glide as apparitions above the sea of dark suits and white robes and must have struck fear in the hearts of men whose culture demands that women be publicly invisible.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ignorance and desperation isn't a defense and it needs to stop being an excuse. The same wouldn't be accepted in the opposite direction. It can explain things but it isn't an excuse and shouldn't be apologized for.

You're making the exact same "just world" style argument conservatives make. Maybe people are ignorant and desperate for reasons outside their control?

Regardless, I don't really give a flying gently caress about excuses or whatever, the entire point is that they're not ideologically "nazi lovers" if they're voting out of ignorance or desperation.

Those ignorant voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to educate them. Those desperate voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to offer them better options. Things that drive down turnout from potential Republican voters help Democratic election chances and it is worth wedging as many of the non-Nazis as we can every time the Republicans do Nazi poo poo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

kathleen parker my dude

she's probably "very concerned" about Russia

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kammat posted:

Christ, Medicaid is completely gutted. The medical option for the poor is gonna be straight up euthanasia only at this rate.

They should at least strive to take a rich rear end in a top hat or 3 with them.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/867479735915466752

lol it's going to jack premiums 20% next year compared to existing law

Just in time for the midterm elections to get underway! :gop:

axeil posted:

:laffo: there are only 2 somewhat at risk GOP Senators up in 2018. This will fly through and poor people will all be handed a gun with a single bullet when they next go to the doctor.

If the GOP can't do better in the midterms than they're doing right now in special elections any Senator who doesn't regularly win by 20+ points is at risk next year.

The GOP needs to be destroyed, completely and utterly.

USA Today showing Fox News the proper way to do propaganda and spin. :eyepoop:

mcmagic posted:

Gianforte also donated money to white nationalist groups.

That isn't going to be a negative to his voters in Montana.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

hahahahahaha

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

writer is a token female republican

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

You're making the exact same "just world" style argument conservatives make. Maybe people are ignorant and desperate for reasons outside their control?

Regardless, I don't really give a flying gently caress about excuses or whatever, the entire point is that they're not ideologically "nazi lovers" if they're voting out of ignorance or desperation.

Those ignorant voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to educate them. Those desperate voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to offer them better options. Things that drive down turnout from potential Republican voters help Democratic election chances and it is worth wedging as many of the non-Nazis as we can every time the Republicans do Nazi poo poo.

the argument is needless. 53 percent of white college educated people who voted in 2016 went for trump. they weren't voting out of desperation and poo poo. they're were just heartless assholes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

quote:

Breaking: Top Russian Officials Discussed How to Influence Trump Aides Last Summer https://nyti.ms/2qXKrOo

I'm unclear on how this is different from the previous story on this subject.

Here's the CNN story form last week.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/

farraday fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 24, 2017

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Covok posted:

This is reality.

If I'm not mistaken they only have about 2 vulnerable Senate seats out of the 8 GOP seats up in 2018, so I agree that what they'll do is let the final vote be 50-50 + Pence as tiebreaker to get it passed and those two Senators can go home and say "I had concerns about the bill" and safely hang on to their seats.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

This bill doesn't start saving money for the average premium until 2021 or after. In the meanwhile, premiums will increase +25% on top of any predicted Obamacare premium increases. The forecast is basically +50-70% premiums in 2020 from 2017 premiums. This will crush the Republican Party. White non-educated working class aged 50-64 went for Trump like 65/35.

lol if you think anything will shift the gop fanbase at all. Emails and benghazi is all they will retort

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WaPo has a lot of dubious opeds written by conservative idiots.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

check out her other articles

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/uwebollocks/status/867489151217790976

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goddamn we need a second republic so loving BAD.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Evil Fluffy posted:

They should at least strive to take a rich rear end in a top hat or 3 with them.

Just in time for the midterm elections to get underway! :gop:

If the GOP can't do better in the midterms than they're doing right now in special elections any Senator who doesn't regularly win by 20+ points is at risk next year.

The GOP needs to be destroyed, completely and utterly.

USA Today showing Fox News the proper way to do propaganda and spin. :eyepoop:

Not only 2018. 2020 too. This is a plan where all the savings are backloaded. In the meantime, it's going to be worse with a 20% increase compared to Obamacare in 2018 and a 25% net increase compared to Obamacare in 2020.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Evil Fluffy posted:

While it can be a problem in parts of Montana, I think that you are probably dealing with stereotypes there.

Just as a wild guess, are you from an East Coast state and you think that Montana is somehow just another version of Binghampton, Toledo, Grand Rapids or one of those East Coast cities?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

The conversations focused on Paul Manafort, the Trump campaign chairman at the time, and Michael T. Flynn, a retired general who was advising Mr. Trump, the officials said. Both men had indirect ties to Russian officials, who appeared confident that each could be used to help shape Mr. Trump’s opinions on Russia.

Some Russians boasted about how well they knew Mr. Flynn. Others discussed leveraging their ties to Viktor F. Yanukovych, the deposed president of Ukraine living in exile in Russia, who at one time had worked closely with Mr. Manafort.

The intelligence was among the clues — which also included information about direct communications between Mr. Trump’s advisers and Russian officials — that American officials received last year as they began investigating Russian attempts to disrupt the election and whether any of Mr. Trump’s associates were assisting Moscow in the effort. Details of the conversations, some of which have not been previously reported, add to an increasing understanding of the alarm inside the American government last year about the Russian disruption campaign.

lol

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/867495990097477633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Becoming a trophy wife married to steaming pile of human filth to live a life of luxury is what all little girls should aspire to, yes.

e: Yes princess, you're only worth what they'll pay for your pretty smile and big boobies.

• Locked thread