Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sandpuppy posted:

A cartoon for Tei.

Theres a ebook reader in the phone, and the ebook has michael ende novel, and in the novel theres a book. The font is beautifully rendered, with every sarif and elegant lines. The screen is a high-DPI monitor with a high refresh rate. The screen is painted with a GPU. The GPU is writting in some elegant firmware, using only NAND gates. The circuitry is built in leading-edge 16 [nanometer] FinFET technology, with 3D structures that rise above the substrate and resemble a fin, hence the name. On the die surface theres engraved a image of a dwarf, the dwarf is walking away from a cave. The cave is on fire.

Tei fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, gently caress the Pope.

the pope isn't smiling in any of the pics he took with trump

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's particularly funny, whether it's political not.

Drunk duck can at least be laughed at for how bad it is.

counterpoint: i think it's funny, and good. what now bitch

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah, Mac. You loving idiot.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's fine but plenty of other people clearly do enjoy it so stop whining please?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, Mac. You loving idiot.
???

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just hate Mac with a burning passion. Him & Bob. I know they seem quaint compared to the worst of American politoons, but they are still very bad.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tei posted:

Theres a ebook reader in the phone, and the ebook has michael ende novel, and in the novel theres a book. The font is beautifully rendered, with every sarif and elegant lines. The screen is a high-DPI monitor with a high refresh rate. The screen is painted with a GPU. The GPU is writting in some elegant firmware, using only NAND gates. The circuitry is built in leading-edge 16 [nanometer] FinFET technology, with 3D structures that rise above the substrate and resemble a fin, hence the name. On the die surface theres engraved a image of a dwarf, the dwarf is walking away from a cave. The cave is on fire.

4/10, it doesn't menace with spikes of guinea pig bone

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

forkboy84 posted:

That's fine but plenty of other people clearly do enjoy it so stop whining please?

Wait, I thought that was the whole point of this thread.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

You really can't is the thing. It's just sorta pathetic, regurgitated con talking points.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Crazycryodude posted:

Day by Day's not explicitly political every single strip, in fact a large amount of it is just slice of life and general societal commentary.

Bicyclops posted:

Ah, we're back to the very, extremely stupid "commentary on the thread" part of the thread's life cycle, excellent.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 24, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, we're back to the very, extremely stupid "comparing Day by Day to Zelda" part of the thread's life cycle, excellent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Why do they like it? It's just so bland to me, so I legitimately don't understand why people like it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The difference is that the script for Zelda wasn't written one-handed.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

zelda by zelda is garbage

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Fister Roboto posted:

Why do they like it? It's just so bland to me, so I legitimately don't understand why people like it.

Because not everything has to elicit a guffaw to be funny, and not everything has to be portraying people as DASGDC.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Zelda is trash, but so is almost everything in this thread so it's hard to complain really. There are probably about five political cartoonists who are actually worth reading, the vast majority of it is completely unremarkable chaff like Stiglich or Marguilles. At least Zelda is different, even if I skip over it all the same.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If we were explicitly looking for good, funny and poignant cartoons, this would basically just be the Ward Sutton and Ruben Bolling thread.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kopijeger posted:

In the original it is "mil", which is shorthand for 10 kilometers.

That makes a lot more sense- I would hope Zelda would know she'd gone more than half a mile at the 5K mark. Zelda's starting to grow on me, actually. It's mostly non-political, but it's also kind of a nice palate cleanser to have something that's harmless fun and fairly well-drawn. Plus, why do people get so determined to ban certain cartoons? I skip over most of the British cartoons and Xander's 1,200 image propaganda dumps (seriously, Xander, how hard is it to put a "t" in front of "img?"), so people can scroll past if they must. Day by Day was different, because while I didn't mind it, it could be genuinely upsetting to read this thread and see "corrective anal rape" in a bland copy-paste cartoon.

All wrong- Trump didn't even lift the sword above his knees. I know it's juvenile, but I was laughing at Trump holding the sword at his crotch and not being able to get it up.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There are many more possibilities than single-payer. Dozens of health care systems around the world, in fact, that work better than ours, for cheaper. We could try learning from any of them, or all of them. But hey, someday we'll get that incremental change that actually benefits people.

If you think the ACA didn't "actually benefit people," you can gently caress right off. My wife would probably be dead without it. You can acknowledge its weaknesses without ignoring the millions of people who have benefited.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 24, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
No Photoshop, no mouse, no skill. 100% shitpost

I think Zelda should stay. It's a fun one to edit.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

what does the author even try to tell us here? Trump came to prune Social Security and is now just lazily wasting his time?

Also: we should ban the "ban zelda"-discussion rather than zelda, it gets old to have the same dumb complaints every few pages. If we wanted to ban cartoons for not being political enough, there's a lot better candidates. Looking at you prickly city.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CBO score is out for the modified AHCA. Spoiler alert: It still sucks.

C'mon, Branco! Polish that turd!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I'd be cool with banning Prickly City.
At least until something happens.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Avirosb posted:

I'd be cool with banning Prickly City.
At least until something happens.

10,000 years in the future, when the robots rule us all, Hunny Bunny is still screaming "I'm likeable you morons!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mr fish is bad and i'm surprised more american cartoonists arent jumping on the terror attack in manchester, i bet they're be some accusatory cartoons if britain had voted remain.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The leaks don't come from the press. They go TO the press. The faucet is the WH itself. My God, how are you so bad at this :psyboom:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Wouldn't it piss you off if this happened? This hypothetical thing is bullshit!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Avirosb posted:

No Photoshop, no mouse, no skill. 100% shitpost

I think Zelda should stay. It's a fun one to edit.

This should not have made me laugh as much as it did.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That strip is peak "guys in Zelda wear really heavy makeup" btw

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

hey stop being a condescending douche for a second please TIA

If you can't wrap your mind around the idea that the person who is making an argument can affect someone else's perception of that argument, I don't know what to tell you here. Someone attributing credit for a hypothetical future single-payer system to a specific law loses a lot of credibility in my eyes when they have in the past gone to great pains to identify themselves with a movement that emphatically stated on several occasions that a single-payer system would be a repudiation of that law (also, remember "never, ever come to pass"?). Disavowing those statements would be a good way for us to bring this argument to a tidy close. I'd totally believe that they were just damage-control against a primary opponent calling for a popular healthcare reform, although I don't know why the Clinton campaign wouldn't just adopt the idea themselves (see: $15 minimum wage, sort of)

:rolleyes:

The ACA isn't going to psychically reach out and enact single-payer down the road, but it reset our expectations for what healthcare in America should look like and provides a clear basis for future reform. Reform such as what Hillary Clinton was proposing. Single-payer is not the be-all, end-all of universal healthcare, even though stuff like the ACA Medicaid expansion is an obvious path to it. And Bernie-style, Leeroy Jenkins, end private insurance in one fell swoop single-payer is in fact never, ever going to happen without the wave to end all waves. The insurance companies will oppose it. Employees of the insurance companies who will all lose their jobs will oppose it. The hospitals will oppose it. The doctors will oppose it. Every American who likes their employer-provided plan will oppose it (this is a majority of Americans). Colorado had a single-payer referendum in November. It lost 80-20. As for me, I value imperfect victory more than noble failure. I have nothing to disavow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I agree.

:unsmigghh:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a good point, except by "violence", Lisa of course actually means "Islam existing".
No one would argue that we need to accept violence and terrorism. The problem is people like this think that word is equivalent to "Muslim".

SeersuckerSoldier
Nov 1, 2016

Jurgan posted:

That makes a lot more sense- I would hope Zelda would know she'd gone more than half a mile at the 5K mark.

Hey y'all, long-time reader, first-time shitposter.

Fun fact: Sweden and Norway use a 'mile' as a system of measurement but it's not the imperial system - a Swedish/Norwegian mile equals 10 kilometers. In the old days a Swedish mile was the distance the average person could walk before needing a rest break.

I only learned this because for ages I thought my Swedish friends were being sarcastic and condescending each time they learned I had gone on a (wholly unimpressive) 2-mile jog or the like. 'Oh wow, how did you do that? That sounds reaaaally tough.'

SeersuckerSoldier fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 25, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

A bit late for Bundy Compound cartoons.

I like the Templar wolf, though.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Let’s go on a journey to the Marshall Islands! The Marshall Islands Journal is the only newspaper produced by this small Micronesian nation, but it has political cartoons! There's a lot of cultural context here, so I'll post my interpretation with each one along with a translation.

"Everyone is crazy because they want to improve their islands."

The islands have only been holding elections since the late 80s, and at first they didn’t matter because the same family that ruled in colonial times was elected continually. Since that family was ousted democratically after corruption scandals, politics have become much more contentious. A lot of Marshallese are ambivalent about the political process, since every election cycle ends up being unpleasantly hateful, divisive, and counter to longstanding cultural norms of respectful discourse.

Title: Money is the root of evil
Panel 1:
"Hey mom! Dad is dead!"
"Wow! What luck! We’ll have a ton of money!"
Panel 2:
"It’s mine because we were married!"
"No, it’s mine because I’m the woman he really loved! Didn’t he tell you?"
Bird: "Stupid! The two of you are trying to steal my eggs!"

There’s a lot going on with this one. Many ideas that are old hat in our culture are still new to Marshallese people, including life insurance. Foreign insurance companies offer package deals but it strikes people as ghoulish. Money itself is an evil and relatively new thing. There’s a constant refrain that it is eroding traditional values and ways of life, that it corrupts people and makes them abandon their dignity. It also exaggerates class differences and divides people in new ways. There’s also the relationship aspect. The majority of Marshallese practice serial monogamy without formal marriage and divorce, which means one man might have children with several women over his lifetime and vice-versa. This can confuse issues of inheritance when traditionally a child wouldn’t have anything to inherit from their father and would get access to subsistence land through their mother. The ensuing fights over who deserves what when a wealthy man dies is yet another unpleasant change to Marshallese life. I don’t know what’s up with the bird.

Mother: "Ahh! What kind of crazy game is this?"

The local internet sucks and is a joke?

Old man: "They only have varieties of rice?"
Old woman: "You should check, is there rice from Ebon?"

Rice is the primary staple of the Marshallese diet, but it can’t be grown at all in the islands. While Marshallese have a great demand for rice, to the point that rice fills the shelves of Marshallese stores, here’s a push towards restoring traditional Marshallese cuisine and using local ingredients.

"Teacher, I’m hungry!"

The school lunches are among the most important political issues on the islands. Multiple campaigns have run on providing free lunches to students, including the most recent one, but then they can’t find the budget for it. It’s ultimately a class issue, as wealthy students purchase lunch at nearby stores every day while poor students go hungry. The poor students have food security problems, which are amplified because they are frequently staying with distant relatives in the capital so they can go to school and those relatives may not be concerned that they’re getting enough food. This compounds the gap in school performance, as the wealthy students who already have other advantages like internet access also get to learn with a full stomach.

Kid: "Where are you going grandpa?"
Grandpa holding a bag full of coconuts: "To the food storage"
Kid: "But you’re not a woman!"

This is a little bit about gender roles but mostly about lazy shiftless kids, a Marshallese topic of scorn since the dawn of time. Men are supposed to harvest and transport food, women are supposed to cook. The old man is bringing food home, doing his job, but the kid can’t imagine ever going to the place where food is stored without taking and cooking it.

Title: People First
Man 1: "Superman is here!"
Man 2: "I think he’s on a vehicle."

The RMI government is flying high on a giant budget from the US military using them as a missile testing site. People are hoping this will rescue them, but their spending is dangerous and destructive and comes from an evil source.

"Hey buddy! Where are you going?"
"To buy me some betelnut!"
(he buys it)
"Wow! It’s like I’m drunk!"
(He’s done buying it, but he’s spitting!)

I think the entire point of this comic is that betelnut is super gross, like bird poo poo, and that people who chew it spit it everywhere like making GBS threads birds. Betelnut is a vice imported from nearby islands, and it’s like chewing tobacoo. It stains everything it touches, including the teeth of chewers. More importantly, the young men who favor it tend to just spit anywhere they want, getting nasty brown splotches everywhere.

"Who is doing the real work?"

Majuro and Ebeye, the population centers of the RMI, are filled with litter and pollution. The islands are incredibly beautiful, but it’s marred by a combination of rapid development, foreign trash, and no public clean-up efforts. Litter is a constant problem, and private groups like churches and youth organizations occasionally organize cleaning campaigns. This cartoon is supporting those efforts.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

For a second there, I thought this was about rape culture. Then I saw it was a Benson cartoon with a Trump quote and it all came back to me.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Does anyone find it unsettling that one of the more flattering Trump caricatures comes from Latin?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

A Bunch of Asshats posted:

The ACA sucks because it didn't fulfill my fantasy of enacting single-payer.

The ACA has ensured I won't loving die by:

Preventing insurance companies from jacking up my rates due to my chronic disease, making it too expensive for me to survive.
Preventing insurance companies from flat out dropping me from coverage because my chronic disease is a "pre-existing condition" causing me to loving die.
Preventing insurance companies from refusing to cover me because of some "lifetime maximum" causing me to loving die.

It's also gotten millions of other Americans on insurance that's affordable and functional, saving loving lives.

If you'd rather this had failed so you can jerk-off to your moral superiority about the purity of your position, you can go gently caress yourself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, gently caress the Pope.
I mean is the Catholic Church really that toxic and murderous compared to other major religions/denominations? I mean hell Protestants have a ton of toxic sludge and dead bodies because of their whole bullshit work ethic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean is the Catholic Church really that toxic and murderous compared to other major religions/denominations? I mean hell Protestants have a ton of toxic sludge and dead bodies because of their whole bullshit work ethic.

Protestant denominations tend to be tiny fiefdoms instead of part of a larger organization

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

catholics have way more hundreds of years of stuff behind them, protestants are like little babies in regards to that

course i think fish might be using the pope as a figurehead for all of christianity rather then just catholicism, for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

sheep-dodger posted:

what does the author even try to tell us here? Trump came to prune Social Security and is now just lazily wasting his time?

My take is that Trump had intended to prune the deficit by cutting Social Security and Medicare to shreds. Finding that his tools were to puny to do the job, he's content to bide his time and await events. Or maybe he just lost interest?

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 25, 2017

• Locked thread