Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
Whatever SNES DKC game you remember fondly
???

Battletoads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

meat police posted:

Please don't troll me I've been told not to swap jp and eu cables for a minute

https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/products/eur-scart-adapter

And it don't matter to me if you're being facetious, since I'm sure someone will ask about it again inevitably and maybe this link will forestall that and...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
???

Snake, Rattle, and Roll. I don't think Slalom is completely awful. And let's not forget the work of heartbreaking genius that is Taboo: The Sixth Sense.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Goldeneye.

Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat for NES is a good one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
???

viva pinata is the best game rare ever made though blast corps and snake rattle 'n roll give it a run for its money

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Snake Rattle and Roll is like, almost good, but like most of their early work it's way way too loving hard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone play The Sentinel? It's an '86 puzzle game where you're a "synthoid" in a featureless planes populated by trees and a giant rotating obelisk called "the sentinel." You can't move, but you can place or absorb objects if you can see the floor of the tile. By placing boulders to gain height and empty shells that let you transfer your "consciousness", you're ultimately trying to absorb the sentinel. If the sentinel sees you, she starts absorbing energy until you die (and I bold "she" because the manual is very specific despite it's matter-of-fact tone). You can replenish energy and block line of sight by absorbing or placing trees. It's a weird, if simplistic game and still has a dedicated fanbase today.

Fast forward 10 years and an official sequel called Sentinel Returns is released. Gone is the flat shaded geometry, replaced with throbbing fetuses and slimy flumps lesh. No bright colors here, just an alien hellscape with thin spikes as "trees." And always watching is the sentinel. No longer an extra from Atari's I, Robot no...

What the gently caress, what is this? It's like writhing flesh tentacles wrapped around what looks like a sarcophagus. Steam gushes from the base when it turns.

Has there ever been a game that did a complete 180 tonal change this hard? The original was kind of sinister in an abstract 80s way but the sequel is just "loving what?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Anyone play The Sentinel?

I never played the original, but I do have the PC version of the sequel. Never really got into it, though. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it when I tried it. Liked the concept quite a bit, but I don't really remember why I bounced off the game...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 25, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I always saw copies of Sentinel Returns at cash converters but never bought it. That is my Sentinel story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The PS1 version is miserable. It has incremental movement so you edge the cursor on the screen to nudge the direction a couple degrees. The PC version looks slick with free mouse movement and I'll probably track down a copy. I can't really recommend the original in any form, it's just too slow and clunky, but there are a lot of fan made ports I haven't messed around with yet. The concept is great.

I would like to see it return as a VR game. It basically predicted modern VR controls by 30 years. No movement, just look at the ground, place objects, and instantly teleport around.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Anyone play The Sentinel? It's an '86 puzzle game where you're a "synthoid" in a featureless planes populated by trees and a giant rotating obelisk called "the sentinel." You can't move, but you can place or absorb objects if you can see the floor of the tile. By placing boulders to gain height and empty shells that let you transfer your "consciousness", you're ultimately trying to absorb the sentinel. If the sentinel sees you, she starts absorbing energy until you die (and I bold "she" because the manual is very specific despite it's matter-of-fact tone). You can replenish energy and block line of sight by absorbing or placing trees. It's a weird, if simplistic game and still has a dedicated fanbase today.

Fast forward 10 years and an official sequel called Sentinel Returns is released. Gone is the flat shaded geometry, replaced with throbbing fetuses and slimy flumps lesh. No bright colors here, just an alien hellscape with thin spikes as "trees." And always watching is the sentinel. No longer an extra from Atari's I, Robot no...

What the gently caress, what is this? It's like writhing flesh tentacles wrapped around what looks like a sarcophagus. Steam gushes from the base when it turns.

Has there ever been a game that did a complete 180 tonal change this hard? The original was kind of sinister in an abstract 80s way but the sequel is just "loving what?"

I played Sentinel Returns on the PS1 and I really dug the art style. I didn't get to play the original till much later but I also liked it for it's simplistic art style. I enjoyed them both. Regarding the PS1 version,

al-azad posted:

It has incremental movement so you edge the cursor on the screen to nudge the direction a couple degrees.

did make the gameplay a little rough but I'm pretty forgiving if I like the concept of the game. I never played the PC version of Returns. Also, I'm surprised no one has tried making a VR version of this game yet. Have both graphic styles select able.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
???

I'm one of those people who isn't crazy about Banjo Kazooie but acting like it isn't even good is weird

financially racist posted:

viva pinata is the best game rare ever made though blast corps and snake rattle 'n roll give it a run for its money

Viva Pinata is super underrated

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm one of those people who isn't crazy about Banjo Kazooie but acting like it isn't even good is weird

Yeah, really. Rare's entire library are kinda all over the place like any developer's is, during the SNES and N64 days they ranged from "pretty good" to "great" without dipping any lower than that.

Unless JFG is an exception. It's the only one I haven't played.

Zaphod42 posted:

Viva Pinata is super underrated

Now you're making me wish I had my xbox handy. My best work in Viva Pinata was a magnificent snowy Canadian wilderness garden with huge conifer trees and moose with a pond that had beavers and ducks. It owned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jet Force Gemini has kinda aged badly (similar to lots of N64 games) but for its time it was really fun and great, basically Halo on N64.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
JFG's music and environments are fantastic. I have a hard time thinking of games that pulled me into the world as much as that one, or at least in the same way. Also, splatter. So much splatter.

From an actual game design standpoint there are two big grievances: having to collect absolutely every last tribal to finish the game, and potentially leaving yourself underpowered for the final boss because of the ammo upgrade system + character swapping. Oh, and a handful of the environments are confusing/boring mazes.The controls are weird now, but for the time and considering dual analog had not been standardized they were okay.

But if you have a bigger tolerance for that than some it's a lot of fun. Machine gun + tri-rocket launcher feel so good.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so what does pdge actually stand for

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Allen Wren posted:

so what does pdge actually stand for

Perfect Dark / Goldeneye

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Captain Skyhawk is the only Rare game I've ever played to completion. It's a dopey little thing but I love its boss track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYggKkxX5c

Boss theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbtJ7yjIPg&t=41s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember renting Cobra Triangle, thus wasting that weekend's game/movie rental allowance

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still have a soft spot for the original Wizards & Warriors. It's not great, but the infinite continues certainly helped offset some of the bullshit difficulty that was common in games of its era. Plus the title screen music is the first piece of video game music I remember really loving.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jet Force Gemini was my favorite although I'm scared to replay it. And making severed heads a collectible is a brilliant game design element. It's instantly appealing to the player and rewards skillful play, it was basically the dogtags of its day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I still have a soft spot for the original Wizards & Warriors. It's not great, but the infinite continues certainly helped offset some of the bullshit difficulty that was common in games of its era. Plus the title screen music is the first piece of video game music I remember really loving.

The Japanese version of this has a pretty major unfixed bug where no enemies spawn at all in the game's two outdoor wooded areas.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

And let's not forget the work of heartbreaking genius that is Taboo: The Sixth Sense.

I love Taboo and I wish it had actually come in that black velvet wrapping or pouch like they had originally announced it would. (And it goes without saying that the music is super super good.)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sentinel Returns was a game I was looking into for my yearly new old stock Christmas binge. Looks like its in the $20 range sealed nowadays.

I've already got 10 games set aside for Xmas 2017. In all fairness, 5 of them were leftover from last year. :shepface:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

My sentinel story is that I read about it, potentially in a game mag? I then had a really terrifying nightmare about it, which I remember in crystal clear detail to this day.

I should probably play that game some day if only to see how it compares to my nightmare.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Only Shallow posted:

Chihiro was a thing in the arcade though nowhere near as popular as NAOMI. It had Crazy Taxi 3, HOTD 3, Virtua Cop 3, Outrun 2, Ollie King, and some other stuff. Ollie King is kind of like JSRF + SSX with a cool soundtrack by the same composer. There's one at the Round 1 nearest me and I like to play it at least once when I'm there. You can run a few Chihiro games on an Xbox with a hacked BIOS and two more RAM chips soldered on for 128mb total. XBMC and other homebrew can use that too.
Well now I have a new project. It looks like I'll finally have a way to play Ollie King and Virtua Cop 3.

Too bad there's video footage of Gundam Battle Operating Simulator working with this method.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember renting Cobra Triangle, thus wasting that weekend's game/movie rental allowance

I owned that one as a kid. I remember liking it, although it was too hard. I haven't played it in years though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad, I hope you're happy. I dug through my crates of PC games and pulled out Sentinel Returns. I had to jump through some hoops to get it installed, and I wound up playing about thirty levels of the hundred-something that are included with the game.

I figured out why I bounced off the game: it's really shallow and the level design is boring. There's no visual cues on the facing of the sentinel, you just suddenly start getting burned. Trees are supposed to be used to block its line of sight, but I didn't find any need to do that. The most efficient solution is to just place beacons (which you transfer between) on top of boulders and absorb as you go until you're at the highest point in the map. That doesn't take too long and since you can't really do anything regarding avoiding the sentinel's gaze you just go for it and teleport away if you get into trouble. A less efficient, but even easier solution is to absorb everything and then just build a tower of boulders until you're taller than the sentinel.

It reminds me a lot of Populous where the concept is great but then the implementation is really shallow. The stages don't take as long to do as Populous, though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rollersnake posted:

Same. I also like the sequel. Both are fun, if challenging, to run for score. The Game Boy game was meeehhhh and I did not like 3 at all.

Apparently we got reverse-PAL'd - they run 10% faster than they should on NTSC consoles.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mak0rz posted:

I still really like this game. It's not "good" and the UFO/swimmer levels are bullshit, but it's one of my earliest gaming memories and the rose-tint just hasn't faded

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
If any of you goons are gonna be at fanime on Saturday my friends and I are holding a mystery video game tournament at 9pm. They're retro games. We've been doing it for a few years and it's fun.

Sorry for self promoting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

worthless. posted:

If any of you goons are gonna be at fanime on Saturday my friends and I are holding a mystery video game tournament at 9pm. They're retro games. We've been doing it for a few years and it's fun.

Looking forward to the report on the world's first Irritating Stick tournament.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Random Stranger posted:

Looking forward to the report on the world's first Irritating Stick tournament.

Holy poo poo I forgot about this game but it's perfect. I'm gonna have to get that for next year. I feel like I had a demo for this at some point in my childhood. I think it shared a disc with some sort of head to head cooking game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

worthless. posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about this game but it's perfect. I'm gonna have to get that for next year. I feel like I had a demo for this at some point in my childhood. I think it shared a disc with some sort of head to head cooking game.

If you could build a real one it's even cooler. And it comes from a Japanese game show so it's on theme for the con!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr60kfGsXXo

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hell yeah :10bux:

Why no, I don't have a cassette loader, I have an SIO2USB. But it does make me want to start looking for working decks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

^^^ I wish hand drawn "screenshots" was more prevalent for box art. It's rad.

Random Stranger posted:

al-azad, I hope you're happy. I dug through my crates of PC games and pulled out Sentinel Returns. I had to jump through some hoops to get it installed, and I wound up playing about thirty levels of the hundred-something that are included with the game.

I figured out why I bounced off the game: it's really shallow and the level design is boring. There's no visual cues on the facing of the sentinel, you just suddenly start getting burned. Trees are supposed to be used to block its line of sight, but I didn't find any need to do that. The most efficient solution is to just place beacons (which you transfer between) on top of boulders and absorb as you go until you're at the highest point in the map. That doesn't take too long and since you can't really do anything regarding avoiding the sentinel's gaze you just go for it and teleport away if you get into trouble. A less efficient, but even easier solution is to absorb everything and then just build a tower of boulders until you're taller than the sentinel.

It reminds me a lot of Populous where the concept is great but then the implementation is really shallow. The stages don't take as long to do as Populous, though.

I can't speak for Returns but in the original you're shown a 3D map of the puzzle before jumping in. Eventually mini-Sentinels appear on the map making "stealth" more important (you can also Defender-esque hyperspace to a random location). The final step are "meanies" which feel like Evil Eds as the sentinel gets pissed and turns trees into traps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I can't speak for Returns but in the original you're shown a 3D map of the puzzle before jumping in. Eventually mini-Sentinels appear on the map making "stealth" more important (you can also Defender-esque hyperspace to a random location). The final step are "meanies" which feel like Evil Eds as the sentinel gets pissed and turns trees into traps.

I was getting minisentinels before I stopped playing and at least the PC version does show a minimap if you wait long enough on the main menu. The minisentinels didn't seem to add much in the way of difficulty, I just had to pick the obvious approach. I did have to use the hyperspace function once when I started in a pit with insufficient energy to climb out.

I really feel like it's the stuff around the gameplay concepts that are the problem with Sentinel Returns. Better level layouts, more clear visualization of the sentinel's gaze (if there was a lighthouse like beam that swept the terrain, for example), a quicker escalation of challenge (introducing minisentinels on level three or four instead of level 25 would have been a good idea). You're clearly a fan of the original, try the PS1 version and see if you feel like it works as an update. Maybe things were lost in the translation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played the PS1 version a bit and had the same concerns as you + control is just garbage. This is definitely a strong argument for why visual design is important. The short draw distance and muddy textures of this weird new direction makes it impossible to tell which direction the sentinel is facing when it's a blurry blob in the distance.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ofecks posted:

Apparently we got reverse-PAL'd - they run 10% faster than they should on NTSC consoles.

Oh my God, this makes so much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

worthless. posted:

If you're streaming or recording it I'll tune in. I've wanted to put a little one together for a bit now just using my own collection but have been too lazy to work out the logistics.

Combo Breaker is also this weekend if anyone else can't get enough of mystery tournament action.

• Locked thread