Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Re: Luke/Max I've been looking at Journals of Ben Kenobi as an option if you need some resource generation, only costs 1, has a good chance of making a resource and if it blanks you can trade it in for a card draw, which is possibly clutch against decks using hand discard to choke you out of re-rolls.

Also anyone tried Premonitions? I wonder with Luke's card draw and Ben's Journal could you draw to that second copy more reliably, though I'd be concerned about hitting mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

HidaO-Win posted:

Re: Luke/Max I've been looking at Journals of Ben Kenobi as an option if you need some resource generation, only costs 1, has a good chance of making a resource and if it blanks you can trade it in for a card draw, which is possibly clutch against decks using hand discard to choke you out of re-rolls.

Also anyone tried Premonitions? I wonder with Luke's card draw and Ben's Journal could you draw to that second copy more reliably, though I'd be concerned about hitting mill.

Yeah, Journals isn't a bad idea. I still think I like Double-dealing better because it doesn't take an upgrade spot, and doesn't take an action to resolve the die.

Premonitions seems good for large cost (4+ in my mind) cards, the problem is you need one of the Premonitions and the card going on it in your hand at the same time. If you're playing against a mill deck, Premonitions just becomes a discard to reroll.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Hauki posted:

I didn't know about it, but maybe? Traveling for work right now but I should be back in Denver by then. When/where/what do I need to do to sign up? Louisville's kind of a drive for me but I've got friends up there anyways and I wouldn't mind checking out some other stores' scenes. I guess I'd also have to piece together a reasonably competitive deck for that too :v:
$15
Funtastic Games
1075 E South Boulder Rd, Louisville, Colorado 80027
Saturday, May 27 at 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM MDT

As for signing up, I have no idea. I just got that Saturday off work and haven't asked the guy that runs it. He also runs Destiny night at Total Escape in Broomfield, so I'll reply on Tuesday when I find out.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Anyone else have any experience with a Krennic/DTrooper deck? I'm building one now and I'm not sure I'm on the right path here

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
try Krennic/Bala

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

bowmore posted:

try Krennic/Bala

I'm using all of my good yellow cards in other decks. :(

And Wingman, Battle Formation look cool, and the disrupt sides on Krennic and Trooper seem like natural fits for Imperial Inspection, which is mega-good right now imo

But I ran it against eLuke/Maz and got absolutely tossed in the dumpster. I had more success against eJyn/Commando and eTR-8R/eJango but those feel like quintessential 'tier 2' decks to me, so maybe the answer is to just keep playing eLuke/Maz

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 23, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot to take back my blanket statement of Luke being bad, he is good with Maz

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

I forgot to take back my blanket statement of Luke being bad, he is good with Maz

I haven't gotten to play with or against Maz yet but from what I hear I'm already sick of Poe/Maz.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I haven't gotten to play with or against Maz yet but from what I hear I'm already sick of Poe/Maz.
she is ridiculously good

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

BJPaskoff posted:

Maz is a Super Saiyan Fast Hands that has 8 HP and begins the game in play, so I think you'll eventually amend that statement to "I'm sick of Maz"

Like I think Poe and Luke are both good without her, but with her they go from good to "what." tier very quickly

She's so strong that I genuinely do not believe you should priority target her partner first, even if she can't really do damage; you fuckin have to kill her or you're in trouble

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So last week I got two starters and started playing Destiny. WHOOPS.

Yesterday I bought my first ever Destiny booster and opened it to find... Force Speed.

I have taken this as a good omen.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

Maz is a Super Saiyan Fast Hands that has 8 HP and begins the game in play, so I think you'll eventually amend that statement to "I'm sick of Maz"

Like I think Poe and Luke are both good without her, but with her they go from good to "what." tier very quickly

She's so strong that I genuinely do not believe you should priority target her partner first, even if she can't really do damage; you fuckin have to kill her or you're in trouble

Yeah, a lot of people have been arguing that you should focus Poe or Luke first, but if I can drop her round 1 or early round 2, I think it's absolutely worth it. Not having to deal with her rolling in and immediately focusing and resolving a Poe special or a pair of Luke dice for a pile of damage makes a substantial difference.

KO Derf posted:

$15
Funtastic Games
1075 E South Boulder Rd, Louisville, Colorado 80027
Saturday, May 27 at 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM MDT

As for signing up, I have no idea. I just got that Saturday off work and haven't asked the guy that runs it. He also runs Destiny night at Total Escape in Broomfield, so I'll reply on Tuesday when I find out.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'll try to check it out, will depend heavily on a bunch of other factors.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hauki posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have been arguing that you should focus Poe or Luke first, but if I can drop her round 1 or early round 2, I think it's absolutely worth it. Not having to deal with her rolling in and immediately focusing and resolving a Poe special or a pair of Luke dice for a pile of damage makes a substantial difference.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'll try to check it out, will depend heavily on a bunch of other factors.

There are a few decks that can roll out enough damage to oneshot Maz, and I feel like if that's an option, you really want to take that. If you can squish her before she gets second chance, even better

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yesterday I bought my first ever Destiny booster and opened it to find... Force Speed.

I also dived in last week and got Palpatine in my first booster. Now I just need more cards to actually use him.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

JonathonSpectre posted:

Spend $3.50 to make $75.00, seems good. Welcome to the addiction bro

Gorefiend posted:

I also dived in last week and got Palpatine in my first booster. Now I just need more cards to actually use him.

Palp in a one-shot is also nice, but be wary of going all-in building that deck, because it is almost prohibitively expensive to put together if you go Full Purples

You could probably have a lot of fun building a control version but I don't know what it'd look like, but probably vastly fewer legendaries

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I'm considering building a Palp deck just to have one, and it's nice to have competitive but not overwhelming decks on tap to play fun games in your kitchen as opposed to Store Champs or whatever

But for a funsies deck this poo poo looks expensive, I'm gonna have to get another Palp and both Lightnings which looks brutal

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I swear there a pretty polished Luke/Maz list going around?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ville Valo posted:

I swear there a pretty polished Luke/Maz list going around?

I don't know if mine is polished, but I threw it on the last page

E: here it is on destinydb if that's more your speed

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/9823/elukemazaggro9000rpm-1.0

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Everyone is hot for ePalpatine. What have people explored for Palpatine/Other? I'm pretty interested in seeing what Palpatine/TIE Pilot plays like, and am going to give it a go for some casual games tonight and a tournament tomorrow. Several decks on SWDestinyDB.com think the only reason to run this pairing is to be able to use Cargo Hold to cheat Training over to Palpatine, which is cute and all, but I think there's an actual deck there built around controlling opponent's dice and winning the game by more incremental damage from Palpatine, and the occasional big hitting turns from the character dice + Lure of Powers, Force Pushes, and No Mercy. Anyone experienced this from either side yet?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Merauder posted:

Everyone is hot for ePalpatine. What have people explored for Palpatine/Other? I'm pretty interested in seeing what Palpatine/TIE Pilot plays like, and am going to give it a go for some casual games tonight and a tournament tomorrow. Several decks on SWDestinyDB.com think the only reason to run this pairing is to be able to use Cargo Hold to cheat Training over to Palpatine, which is cute and all, but I think there's an actual deck there built around controlling opponent's dice and winning the game by more incremental damage from Palpatine, and the occasional big hitting turns from the character dice + Lure of Powers, Force Pushes, and No Mercy. Anyone experienced this from either side yet?

Only that I think Palp is hilariously overrated on Reddit and swdestinydb

If you are going to pair him with anyone else it'd have to be TIE Pilot, and then you're at two native dice but worse two dice than even ePalp? Like why even slot a battlefield at that point

Training gimmick seems suspect. If you want to go full control you might as well stick to monoblue villain? Maybe? I could be being needlessly harsh. Uh, what else. I don't think that any Palp configuration runs with TR-8R decks, Luke decks, or Poe decks at the moment, and I feel like Unkar milling decks would give you fits probably. Probably can't run Imperial Inspection in it either which is the most compelling card in villain red imo. I feel like I'm dismissing it out of hand though so I must be forgetting poo poo.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

One die Palp really can't work in the current game. It sounds fun in theory but TIE can die as early as turn one and then you're stuck resolving a single Palp die, which is structurally a good die and has a guaranteed two damage on resolve, but simply won't be strong enough in most cases to put out enough damage unless you can Holocron in a Force Lightning and roll really, really well.

That said, I think ePalp is perfectly strong and has his counters (I have an ePalp deck), but is fun to play without being overpowered beyond belief. I managed to pull my first IG-88 last night which was one of the couple legendaries I still hadn't gotten a hold of from SoR (only got into the game a few weeks ago), and I like the idea of a Death Trooper/eIG deck, though I know FN is a popular pairing choice for obvious reasons. Downside is I'll need to get two Thermal Detonators which is going to run about $55 or so, never mind I'm probably missing another ranged weapon or two from Awakenings.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I should say that I don't think ePalp is terrible, only that people seem to put blinders on wrt his actual in game efficacy by how overstated it is

Like, is he free wins for any deck? Hell no. Is he the "9-0 STORE CHAMPIONSHIP UNDEFEATED DECK (read description)" meta monster reddit and swdestinydb think he is? I think also no

Palp is fun which matters and he's competitive and interactive, which also matters, but he's probably not even in the top 3 in terms of broad, pointless generalizing about who is strongest from SOR (I'd put FN-2199, Maz, Unkar ahead of him for their costs)

SOR has a few genuine wtf design choices in it, but the game is so fun it barely matters - but cards like Force Speed, Maz, TR-8R, Imp Inspection, Vibroknife... those are pretty nuts

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

guts and bolts posted:

I should say that I don't think ePalp is terrible, only that people seem to put blinders on wrt his actual in game efficacy by how overstated it is

Like, is he free wins for any deck? Hell no. Is he the "9-0 STORE CHAMPIONSHIP UNDEFEATED DECK (read description)" meta monster reddit and swdestinydb think he is? I think also no

Palp is fun which matters and he's competitive and interactive, which also matters, but he's probably not even in the top 3 in terms of broad, pointless generalizing about who is strongest from SOR (I'd put FN-2199, Maz, Unkar ahead of him for their costs)

SOR has a few genuine wtf design choices in it, but the game is so fun it barely matters - but cards like Force Speed, Maz, TR-8R, Imp Inspection, Vibroknife... those are pretty nuts

Speaking of Nines, Unkar, Inspection and Vibroknife...My first store champ is this Sunday, and this is the deck I'm running:

The goal here is the be flexible as possible about how to win. Obviously Unkar is going to be good control, but I went with a build that can deal (mostly melee) damage, can discard, and has Crime Lord in it if it's necessary to win that way; sort of a triple threat.

Packs at least 8 removal cards, but there are 3 flex slots; I'm not sold on Loose Ends and I don't know if I need to copies of Confiscation (but Second Chance makes me worry).

What do you guys think those last flex slots should be? I've considered Sabotage, Disarm, or even one of each. Something I havent thought of?

I've play tested this particular build about a half-dozen times and its way better than the version I was playing before (Unkar/DT/FOST), even without the Endless Ranks.

EDIT: Battlefield is Docking Bay, but I'm open to anything neutral, like Mos Eisley.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Red Hood posted:

EDIT: Battlefield is Docking Bay, but I'm open to anything neutral, like Mos Eisley.
I was talking with some people and it seems like Mos Eisley Spaceport is not a good "dead" battlefield due to the overabundance of Rey and Force Speed. Since Rey is likely faster than you and thus will claim, the player will always bounce Speed back as it costs them no tempo loss the next round and gives them a resource.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

KO Derf posted:

I was talking with some people and it seems like Mos Eisley Spaceport is not a good "dead" battlefield due to the overabundance of Rey and Force Speed. Since Rey is likely faster than you and thus will claim, the player will always bounce Speed back as it costs them no tempo loss the next round and gives them a resource.

That's a really good call I didn't think of; I'll definitely stick with Docking Bay as my battlefield then.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Red Hood posted:

Speaking of Nines, Unkar, Inspection and Vibroknife...My first store champ is this Sunday, and this is the deck I'm running:

The goal here is the be flexible as possible about how to win. Obviously Unkar is going to be good control, but I went with a build that can deal (mostly melee) damage, can discard, and has Crime Lord in it if it's necessary to win that way; sort of a triple threat.

Packs at least 8 removal cards, but there are 3 flex slots; I'm not sold on Loose Ends and I don't know if I need to copies of Confiscation (but Second Chance makes me worry).

What do you guys think those last flex slots should be? I've considered Sabotage, Disarm, or even one of each. Something I havent thought of?

I've play tested this particular build about a half-dozen times and its way better than the version I was playing before (Unkar/DT/FOST), even without the Endless Ranks.

I'd put in Bait and Switch.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played in a tournament tonight to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Star Wars. Ended up with 10 people. Here's the list I ran:

My gut was that one of the better counters to Poe/Maz is have as much HP as possible, and your own high damage output to try to come through alive after a few potential big Poe turns. Seems simple enough, right? :v: So I decided on the 30hp all-in troopers. It went okay.

Round 1 - eLuke/Acolyte - Win
The guy was super rushed to get situated and as soon as he opened his deck box he said he had the wrong deck. Heh, whoops. Meant to be playing Luke/Ackbar apparently, was testing with Acolyte and forgot to change it back before the event. Went pretty smooth, took down Luke in a few turns and he never got any of my 3 down.

Round 2 - Unkar/2199/FOST - Win
This match was WAY too close. I took down Unkar pretty quick, and he took a little while to get down one of my troops after that, but then I stalled a bit and he was able to get the 2nd down. Then he stalled a bit and I was finally able to get 2199 removed. I had my last troop left with 2hp left, and two Holdout Blasters and a Training, and he had an undamaged 7hp Stormtrooper with a Riot Baton. I was down to my last 4 cards in the deck going into the final round, with him controlling the battlefield. He rolled poorly to start, I rolled out with a 2R, +2R, and two non-damage sides. I played some removal on his dice so he couldn't hit me, and it was at this point the round was at time, so we had to finish that round and then whoever had dealt more damage overall wins as a tie breaker (which he had, at 28 to my 21, so either I killed him, or lost to tie breaker). I don't remember the exact other cards I played or discarded, but eventually he Claimed while I had my very last card left in my hand, so I pitch it to re-roll my non-damage, and get exactly enough to one-shot his Stormtrooper before I would have lost to deck-out. Crazy close game, really enjoyable.

Round 3 - Vader/Raider - Loss
I made a bad early decision, when even after seeing a Holocron come out on the Tusken turn 1, I honed in on Vader as he's bigger and scarier, theoretically. The idea being, if I can get Vader down, my late game damage can potentially blow out a Tusken in a single turn, right? Turn 1 Holocron Special into a Mind Probe was the first sign that I needed to shift gears despite already putting some damage on Vader, but I didn't. He proceeded to do a ton of damage by relying on Boundless Ambition to restock his hand twice in a single turn (draw 5 both times) to reroll for maximum Vader damage + Mind Probe damage, and my troops dropped left and right. I think it ended with Vader at like 8 damage total? Wasn't great. This guy went on to win the event 4-0.

Round 4 - Poe/Maz - Loss
This was actually my first time seeing Poe/Maz in action first hand and not just reading about it. The player is not a regular at all though, and in fact is really just a friend of my Round 3 opponent who comes along for some special events to help aforementioned friend win extra prizes and changes at door prizes and stuff (tonight being the full art Mon Mothma promo). So he's a bit rusty, though Poe/Maz is pretty autopilot so he had some pretty crap luck to be at 1-2 going into the last round. I took down Maz early enough (turn 3, missed killing before her 3rd activation by 1hp when I played Tactical Mastery to activate two troops with upgrades via Wingman + immediate resolution), and also had won the roll off so we didn't have Throne Room shenanigans happening, but once he hit his New Orders and had a Planetary Uprising on the board, his rounds were "roll Poe, then Claim for some free damage from hand, +2 from PU". I had him at 9 of 12 when he finished my last troop off. Much closer than I expected!

Overall the deck played well and I enjoyed it. I never once came anywhere near enough to justify having the Endless Ranks in there; it's a cute theory to suddenly gain 10 more HP, but even over half the deck costing 0, you're usually spending your 2 for the turn right away for either a Training or a gun of some kind, or holding it for the few 1 cost events which you'll certainly be playing that round. A couple times I ended a round with 1 left over, but was quick to spend it all the next turn, so 5 is just too far out of reach. I also never did play the 1 Rocket Launcher, though it might hold a slot as a replacement Upgrade over one of the other guns at only the 1 cost difference. Just never really presented its self in tonight's games. I think it ALMOST has a chance to stand up to Poe/Maz, but you HAVE to be able to get rid of Maz quickly I feel (I think it's more important than Poe to generally slow the deck down without Maz's free resolves, but idk, maybe that's not right still), and I'd really like to get a way to easily remove the Uprisings. Without that I think I'd have saved 6 or 8 damage AFTER Maz was dead, which is almost an entire other character, and I probably could have won that match.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
May I ask how Doubt worked for you? I was going to play it in my ePalpatine deck.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Helion posted:

May I ask how Doubt worked for you? I was going to play it in my ePalpatine deck.

The times I played it I almost always appreciated it. There's some dice you are really happy to use it on, and others less so, but in general it was nice to be able to hit a damage die with it and get it of the table before being modified, not unlike using Guardian on it, except there was a chance they could just get a resource or something. There was once when I turned a 1R into 2R, but whatever. It certainly wasn't essential, but I'm pretty sure I had use for it almost every time I drew them, the only times I second guessed was in the Vader/Raider match, since I didn't want to risk giving him free specials from his various blue abilities. At the same time, he had Mikashi Training out which would have been a great target for it.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Edit: Never mind I need to read more.

As a question, what cards are people usually playing on Premonitions? Seeing how well ePalp is doing, I'm wondering if including Premonitions in my Luke/Maz deck would be a worthwhile counter to steal their Rise Again, yet still be able to use it for my own upgrades if the opponent doesn't run it.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 26, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Benthalus posted:

Edit: Never mind I need to read more.

As a question, what cards are people usually playing on Premonitions? Seeing how well ePalp is doing, I'm wondering if including Premonitions in my Luke/Maz deck would be a worthwhile counter to steal their Rise Again, yet still be able to use it for my own upgrades if the opponent doesn't run it.

Do it with Noble Sacrifice as a trap, so Palp steals it and dies

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Do it with Noble Sacrifice as a trap, so Palp steals it and dies

Hah, yes, I saw that earlier in the thread. That would require slotting a very bad card, though. Fun for a casual deck, not so much for trying to win a store championship.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Premonitions is a bad card and Palp decks shouldn't be using it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

triple sulk posted:

Premonitions is a bad card and Palp decks shouldn't be using it.

Force Illusion is what I run in my Palp deck where most people have Premonitions slotted, since Illusion and Premonitions don't play nicely together, but also Premonitions is just a cute card not a good one.

Force Speed is what I'm not sure of on Palp. It works sometimes to help hasten durdley Holocron turns or to get your Palp dice resolving, but I'm not sure it's great.

I think another "staple" Palp card (Dark Presence) loving sucks as well but oh well

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

Force Illusion is what I run in my Palp deck where most people have Premonitions slotted, since Illusion and Premonitions don't play nicely together, but also Premonitions is just a cute card not a good one.

Force Speed is what I'm not sure of on Palp. It works sometimes to help hasten durdley Holocron turns or to get your Palp dice resolving, but I'm not sure it's great.

I think another "staple" Palp card (Dark Presence) loving sucks as well but oh well

Cute is a fine word. The reason I'd describe Premonitions as bad though, never minding someone stealing cards with it, is if one is the top card of the deck and the other's at the bottom, I'd rather just have drawn one of two control cards that could potentially prevent as much damage as I would have healed (e.g. killing off a 3 ranged to prevent a +2 modifier from resolving) with one fewer action. As far as Dark Presence goes, I had been running one and it feels great when it goes off, but it's not reliable enough, at least in Palp. I haven't slotted in Force Illusion but I'm planning on trying it out.

Basically Palp is a very solid deck that can either wreck or just as easily be wrecked, but I don't mind because it's fun to play.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Can we talk anti Poe/Maz tech?

First: Anything that removes a character die without needing to have a die on the table itself. Electroshock, Isolation, Doubt, Confidence... I am also considering Overconfidence to reroll both Poe dice and discard the one that hits a special side. One nice thing is that these are basically all useful cards in their own right. All this stuff is less useful when and if fast hands hits the table, but even then one die is left behind.

Second: Cards that absorb significant damage cheaply. I especially like Force Illusion here, but armor plating might be good too. I don't like second chance or rise again because their prohibitive cost neuters your offensive capability.

Are shields worthwhile? What about choice of battlefield? What decks have you all seen success with?

Also: Poe or Maz first?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Helion posted:

Can we talk anti Poe/Maz tech?

First: Anything that removes a character die without needing to have a die on the table itself. Electroshock, Isolation, Doubt, Confidence... I am also considering Overconfidence to reroll both Poe dice and discard the one that hits a special side. One nice thing is that these are basically all useful cards in their own right. All this stuff is less useful when and if fast hands hits the table, but even then one die is left behind.

Second: Cards that absorb significant damage cheaply. I especially like Force Illusion here, but armor plating might be good too. I don't like second chance or rise again because their prohibitive cost neuters your offensive capability.

Agreed on pretty much everything here. I also think that Planetary Uprising is a legitimate threat that people also need to be concerned with, and running something like Sabotage can help buy you some time. I don't love that specific card, but there aren't many good anti-Support cards yet, so it's one of the better (only?) options.

Helion posted:

Are shields worthwhile? What about choice of battlefield? What decks have you all seen success with?

I think shields are theoretically fine against Poe/Maz specifically, but other top decks right now are running Vibroknife that will render any shield shenanigans moot, so I'm avoiding shield-based cards for the most part. For battlefields, I'm liking the idea of running a control heavy deck with Snap, and using Carbon Freezing Chamber. Disrupt heavy to keep them from being able to claim, and use CFC to lock down one of their Poe dice each round to minimize their special triggers. I'm not sure if this concept has legs enough to survive long enough to actually kill things, though.

My previously shared 3x Death Trooper deck almost got there in it's match against it the other day, just due to sheer HP advantage (20hp vs 30hp). It can be fast enough to keep up with them and Claim before them if you get early Wingmans out, or at least things like Squad Tactics or Tactical Mastery to accelerate your activations. Admittedly have only played the match up once though, so this is incredibly anecdotal. Over a longer sample size it might just be a bad matchup and I was on the luckier end of still losing. Who knows.

Helion posted:

Also: Poe or Maz first?

I think this depends on what kind of deck you're running. If you're trying to out-aggro them, I think you need to bring Poe down first to really stunt their damage. If you're playing a slower deck Maz can be the right choice because without her Poe slows down significantly and buys you more time to control things. With my 3x DT deck I think I did this wrong by killing Maz first because I was almost able to one-shot her, but once the opponent flopped his New Orders (something I think more decks are going to need to slot in 1-ofs as a safety net) he was able to keep his two Poe dice hitting me pretty hard every turn and I lost the race.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Agreed on Carbon Chamber as an ideal battlefield. Snap would be a potential way to swing claiming in your favor, but some things to consider:

1. If the Poe/Maz player is afraid of Snap, He dies turn 2 or 3 (probably).

2. You are probably going to need to rely on landing a disrupt when you use him, since PM is so amazingly credit efficient. Snap can do this, but if you want to make use of his ability too, you need to make him elite.

3. He needs to have at least one die sitting in the pool til you claim, which means that you will be down one die.

4. Because you are down one die when you use Snap, I think any deck that uses him needs a strategy to make the most of holding the battlefield. You are probably committing to using Planetary Uprising yourself, as well as various red events. Not a negative necessarily, but something to think about.

What do you think? Is elite Snap necessary? If so, who to pair with him that could still prove an effective team against Bala gang decks?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Went to a tourney today, 4-0'd and won six packs. Ran ePalp because I feel eLuke/Maz is abusive. Didn't matter much.

vs. eAnakin/Grievous
Lost rolloff, started with Holocron and removal. Did normal Palp stuff and controlled Anakin die. Drew into Force Speed and Holocron'd Lightning in, then Rise Again'd a Force Throw. Won with 8HP remaining.

vs. Unkar/FOST/DTrooper
Lost rolloff, mulled away Rise Again and drew back into it. Of course he grabbed it with Unkar. Bad start. But he repeatedly had to Best Defense to mitigate die, and I resolved discards he wasn't expecting me to, and got his Endless Ranks. Saved Deflect for if he rolled a hot Slave I or AT-ST rollout, he didn't, mopped up. Won with 6HP remaining.

vs. eFN-2199/eJango
Lost rolloff, started with Force Speed and Holocron, grabbed a Lightning early and just kept rolling. Blew out FN-2199 by round two. Jango couldn't keep up. Won with 13HP remaining.

vs. ePalp
Mirror went hugely in my favor. Force Speed and Holocron early, had Lightning out turn 1. Isolated one of his Palp die. Enraged to grab a resource. Rolled out, grabbed some discard and a damage side; he took 6 but also took the shields on roll off so showed 4 then claimed my Otoh Gunga. Round two, I roll a 3 and a 2 both ranged results, and I have Rise Again, Lure of Power, Holocron, Deflect... and No Mercy in hand. He doesn't control my die, so I Force Speed resolve, No Mercy him for 9(!!!!!) a, resolve the 2 (+2 resolve damage) and he dies at the very start of round 2. Won with 14HP remaining.

eLuke/Maz and ePalp can try to race ePoe/eMaz. Choke decks could have some success just doing their thing. Cheap removal is always good but Fast Hands can mess that up. Always kill Maz unless you think you can kill Poe by round 2. Carbon Freezing Chamber with Snap in a chokehold deck would probably be pretty cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to crime lord an ePalp at a store champ