Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

whatis posted:

So outside of Minnesota and Anaheim, who else looks like they're probably going to get screwed by the expansion draft? The Islanders look like they're in pretty rough shape too I guess

vancouver are almost certainly going to get better as a result of the expansion draft (when they lose gudbranson, sbisa or pleeeeease dorsett or sutter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

vancouver are almost certainly going to get better as a result of the expansion draft (when they lose gudbranson, sbisa or pleeeeease dorsett or sutter)

Benning would trade draft picks just to get them back.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

I feel like Vegas might take Reid Boucher, tbh. He's not great but he's 23, an RFA right now and they can sign him for cheap. The Canucks picked him up on waivers and I kinda grew to like the guy.

Taking somebody like Gudbranson, Sutter, or Sbisa actively hurts the team, so I think they just go with the safe young guy option.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure at least half the guys you mentioned will be protected. I mean, they shouldn't be but Jim Benning.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Benning can't protect both Sbisa and Gudbranson, I think dorsett is still on IR so doesn't need to be? (if I remember correctly)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Even money on them being better next year except for the fact that Julien system + Price will hide a lot of flaws and give us a good record again

Yeah, they are probably still going to finish above the Leafs next year even if the Leafs don't Sophomore slump (my money is on that happening). But the Leafs trajectory is upwards while the Habs are flat at best. This has to be an all or nothing year, and I'm okay with putting all the chips in play while Carey is still a human cheat code even knowing they probably still won't win the Cup.

a false posted:

is this a joke. because the rangers' farm system is Not Good, which is maybe common enough knowledge for someone to post this as a joke.

shestyorkin and buchnevich are great but the prospect pool outside of that is very barren

It started off as a joke, but the Rangers do have some pretty decent younger players who theoretically haven't peaked yet. If Lundqvist falls off the cliff in the next two years, the damage won't be unmitigated disaster, more single digits away from Playoffs.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Call Your Grandma posted:

Matt Martin actually amplifies Marner's charm:

Marner looks like a kid that's being pressured to try weed by the older kid who's actually a skeezball but seems cool when you're a dumb teenager

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yellowcar posted:

I laughed harder at this than I had any right to.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

So uh, Matthews updated his Twitter profile pic

e: for reference

https://twitter.com/Zeisberger/status/866766530570330112

Auston Matthews is cool

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don: Raghr wargh whatsis sposta be a good Canadian kid, dressed like I dunno, wouldn't see Bobby Orr come to the rink, every day... I tell them... I used to tell my guys gotta look sharp

Ron: "Like you"

Don: Well they can't all look this sharp but you're makin millions of dollars, and yer dressed like a... one of those, well this isn't the NBA you're traveling and you're representing Canada you gotta make it look good not walk around lookin like THAT, time for Matthew Adam to grow up!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Thufir posted:

Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis being signed for the next 2 years at combined $10.25m is looking pretty cool.

goddamn that is not fair.

I was going to say, at least the Rangers have McDonagh at under $5m per for a few more years... but that expires next year!

god, this team is so hosed in about 2 years.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Koopa Kid posted:

:unsmith: I love my dumb, gay hockey team. :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The question at this point is how can Steve Simmons ruin this?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/867717336773652480

Oilers will make the orange jersey their permanent home jersey next season. Avs are finally getting a much needed update, and I'm sure most of the others are small tweaks.

Also the Oilers are going from royal to navy blue again :barf:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

flakeloaf posted:

Don: Raghr wargh whatsis sposta be a good Canadian kid, dressed like I dunno, wouldn't see Bobby Orr come to the rink, every day... I tell them... I used to tell my guys gotta look sharp

Ron: "Like you"

Don: Well they can't all look this sharp but you're makin millions of dollars, and yer dressed like a... one of those, well this isn't the NBA you're traveling and you're representing Canada you gotta make it look good not walk around lookin like THAT, time for Matthew Adam to grow up!

the funny thing is the NBA is now easily the best dressed league in terms of pre/post-game outfits

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The less RBK Piping (TM) the better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

Oilers will make the orange jersey their permanent home jersey next season.

Good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/867717336773652480

Oilers will make the orange jersey their permanent home jersey next season. Avs are finally getting a much needed update, and I'm sure most of the others are small tweaks.

That's nothing confirmed, at all. The only thing confirmed is the teams getting updates.

quote:

Here's a list of what we *hope* will be the changes to each team in the list we received. Again, these are merely predictions.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

quoting from playoff thread

THE MACHO MAN posted:

ugh, that blue is great on those jerseys.

I like the orange though
The bright orange with dark blue makes me think immediately​ of those Isles 3rds from like 10-15 years ago. It's a harsh look.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Since we're getting rid of third/alternate jerseys next season, it's all going to be really minor stuff like removing piping or making a third jersey a home jersey or something. They already confirmed none of the primary logos are being changed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Worth noting in that article that no team will be making a primary logo change. Rob Mixer, who worked with the CBJ, said they wouldn't be making the cannon logo primary as there's too much of everything invested in the star and burgee logo (and I'm fine with that).

Anthony Zych, he of the CBJ posters from two years ago, apparently designed the Devils jersey:

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/867738035030564864

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It would be nice if Vancouver dropped the wordmark from their logo and then never changed it again, but que sera sera. That or just switched back to the stick in rink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Worth noting in that article that no team will be making a primary logo change.

Also worth noting that, once again, that is what that site thinks will happen, not actually confirmed changes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Worth noting in that article that no team will be making a primary logo change. Rob Mixer, who worked with the CBJ, said they wouldn't be making the cannon logo primary as there's too much of everything invested in the star and burgee logo (and I'm fine with that).

Anthony Zych, he of the CBJ posters from two years ago, apparently designed the Devils jersey:

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/867738035030564864

Oh that's awesome. Good for him

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

yellowcar posted:

Yaya posted:

I feel like Vegas might take Reid Boucher, tbh. He's not great but he's 23, an RFA right now and they can sign him for cheap. The Canucks picked him up on waivers and I kinda grew to like the guy.

Taking somebody like Gudbranson, Sutter, or Sbisa actively hurts the team, so I think they just go with the safe young guy option.

Kilza posted:

I'm pretty sure at least half the guys you mentioned will be protected. I mean, they shouldn't be but Jim Benning.

yeah this is just what i wish would happen. what will really happen is brendan gaunce will get taken and score 50 points from vegas' second line next year while getting selke consideration

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yeah this is just what i wish would happen. what will really happen is brendan gaunce will get taken and score 50 points from vegas' second line next year while getting selke consideration

Gaunce will never score 50 points. While I think he has a higher ceiling than 'zero goals,' I very much doubt he'll be more than a 20 point 4th liner/sub in checker.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Yaya posted:

Do the announcers still talk about him setting the Sting scoring record, or has that ship sailed?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Do the announcers still talk about him setting the Sting scoring record, or has that ship sailed?

He's still dining out on that one, don't worry.

Reid Boucher is a dime a dozen guy, if he's all Vegas takes from us then so be it. He can be replaced for about $700k

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

iospace posted:

That's nothing confirmed, at all. The only thing confirmed is the teams getting updates.

Did you miss the part where it said that the Oilers using the orange jerseys at home is confirmed, linking to this article from March?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

no third jersey really sucks for the coyotes.

I wonder what's the future of the kachina jersey too, they are ccm branded (owned by reebok)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bizarre deformity posted:

Did you miss the part where it said that the Oilers using the orange jerseys at home is confirmed, linking to this article from March?

Oilers orange at home sure, but everything else in that article is prediction.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

How can a pro athlete have arms that tiny? I'm sure he's way stronger than he looks but lol

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Schlesische posted:

It started off as a joke, but the Rangers do have some pretty decent younger players who theoretically haven't peaked yet. If Lundqvist falls off the cliff in the next two years, the damage won't be unmitigated disaster, more single digits away from Playoffs.

we did single digits away from playoffs for like, a decade. it really sucked. i'd rather tank horrendously for like 3 years and end up with a generational superstar or two

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I heard that Adidas is getting rid of alternate jerseys next year and I would like to say that this sucks loving rear end

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which makes no sense to me.. don't clothing manufacturers make money by selling stuff their customers want? If a team asks for 15 different jersey styles, why the hell do they get to say no? Just send a quote for the cost and let the customer decide if they want to pony up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Which makes no sense to me.. don't clothing manufacturers make money by selling stuff their customers want? If a team asks for 15 different jersey styles, why the hell do they get to say no? Just send a quote for the cost and let the customer decide if they want to pony up.

Because there will already be plenty of buzz about new jerseys, there's no need to dilute that by rushing thirds out as well. Roll an extra one out for each team over the next couple of seasons when the initial Reebok surge has died down and you'll sell tons more.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 25, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

Because there will already be plenty of buzz about new jerseys, there's no need to dilute that by rushing thirds out as well. Roll an extra one out for each team over the next couple of seasons when the initial Reebok surge has died down and you'll sell tons more.

Yeah, they want to space stuff out so there's always a hot new thing for people to buy.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm sure they'll reintroduce thirds again at some point. Already making 62 different sets of jerseys for players and merch is a tall order.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

we did single digits away from playoffs for like, a decade. it really sucked. i'd rather tank horrendously for like 3 years and end up with a generational superstar or two

If they keep using Staal and Girardi for the remainder of their contracts I'd say it'll be double digit time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

shyduck posted:

Not a huge fan of this, since I think the current blue works well with the orange jersey, but I guess we'll see how it looks on the jersey.

• Locked thread