Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got to learn confluence. Anyone have tips on how to not gently caress up really bad? I'm coming from SharePoint, where people have hosed it up bad.

Painstakingly add every SA smiley to HipChat, set up the confluence integration. Do all your documentation in smiley/meme heavy conversations with team members and save the chat logs to confluence. (Note that after a week or two you may have to have your documentation chats with yourself, once everyone else refuses to talk to you on HipChat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's Confluence plugins for Slack that work very similarly to the HipChat integration.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got to learn confluence. Anyone have tips on how to not gently caress up really bad? I'm coming from SharePoint, where people have hosed it up bad.

You have your own personal space area you can edit pages and keep them private even, then move them elsewhere when they are ready. Also it keeps a revision history so you can't really gently caress it up too bad if you edit another persons page.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I hated JIRA.

Always seemed ridiculously clunky, but I only used that for a few months while i was testing before I moved companies/careers.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What a terrible day.

Deploying wired 802.1x for a client.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

What a terrible day.

Deploying wired 802.1x for a client.

Ugh.

Supposedly we're going to be evaluationg ForeScout sometime in the future. Not looking forward to that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why do people still use Internet Explorer?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Tab8715 posted:

It's the only thing that works with our lovely voip configuration web portal.

It's the only thing that works with our lovely wifi controller configuration web portal.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
No other browser is stupid enough to allow direct hooks to critical Windows files and services.

Which means it's the #1 choice for lovely programmers who want to turn a quick shortcut solution into a full-blown application platform

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't personally use it but my understanding is that IE's a valid choice at this point, no? Thought the 3 major players pretty much came down to personal preference now.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't personally use it but my understanding is that IE's a valid choice at this point, no? Thought the 3 major players pretty much came down to personal preference now.

This assumes your enterprise isn't on IE6 for compatibility reasons.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I use Chrome or Edge depending on what I'm accessing. Most of our internal tools work best with Edge, I use Chrome for everyday browsing. Not sure why but I stopped using Firefox, I used to use all 3 depending on what I was accessing.

On a side note, we're having issues filling a Jr. Admin position. Maybe the market is just hot, or my boss hasn't found what he's looking for. To be blunt we need a Jr guy to come in and handle some of the menial poo poo to get it off our plate. Plenty of room for advancement if they show initiative and pick stuff up quickly. Told my boss he'll probably have to reclassify the position and make an experienced hire, or take a chance and focus on people with potential that need a foot in the door. No one wants to do the bitch work, but it's got to get done...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Tab8715 posted:

Because far too many enterprise tools/sites/panels only work in IE11 because they do dumb poo poo like use npapi plugins or render like it's 1997

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am growing to loathe Firefox with a passion since it has no tie-ins to GPO or anything that would help me manage it across the entire company. This is especially an issue since Security wants to roll out Zscaler and there's no way for me to get the cert installed into Firefox without trusting a user to do something for themselves.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

skipdogg posted:

On a side note, we're having issues filling a Jr. Admin position. Maybe the market is just hot, or my boss hasn't found what he's looking for. To be blunt we need a Jr guy to come in and handle some of the menial poo poo to get it off our plate. Plenty of room for advancement if they show initiative and pick stuff up quickly. Told my boss he'll probably have to reclassify the position and make an experienced hire, or take a chance and focus on people with potential that need a foot in the door. No one wants to do the bitch work, but it's got to get done...
I ALWAYS want this. This is the guy I want. Little experience, just needs an opportunity, has evidence of self-study, and presents himself well in the interview. I want this guy so badly. But it's SO hard to get these people, because every leadership team I've ever worked with is convinced that senior guys are the best. And they are. Senior guys rock. I love guys who know things. But someone needs to reset that password, or patch that server, or be motivated about a maintenance window. It's so hard to hire these people, but they're who I want.

e: I mean, I'll give you an example. This is going to sound like a bit, but it actually happened. My director mailed my team a menial task. It's me and another architect, and 3 senior sys admins. Not a single mid level or junior admin on the team. He emailed a request, and 2 days later he had to follow up with a second request. Why? Because 5 people making 6 figures saw an email with a menial task, went "welp that's not me", and moved on to the next thing. Well done, us!

vvvv Ahh yeah good catch there in that I'm still calling Edge "IE" and have to grow out of that.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 24, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IE 11 is not terrible, but it's not good in any way. You wouldn't choose it, but it's mostly tolerable if you're forced to use it because some moron refuses to fix or replace a broken application.

Edge is reasonably good, but from a desktop perspective it's still way behind the competition. I doubt anyone actually chooses to use it, but for the average Joe using what's there on a stock Windows install its fine. Apparently its tablet mode is decent though, I don't have a Windows tablet to verify.

IE 6 is a Chevy Cavalier. IE 11 is a Chevy Cobalt. Edge is a Chevy Cruze. Each step gets significantly better, but it's still hard to come up with a reason to actually want any of them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I ALWAYS want this. This is the guy I want. Little experience, just needs an opportunity, has evidence of self-study, and presents himself well in the interview. I want this guy so badly. But it's SO hard to get these people, because every leadership team I've ever worked with is convinced that senior guys are the best. And they are. Senior guys rock. I love guys who know things. But someone needs to reset that password, or patch that server, or be motivated about a maintenance window. It's so hard to hire these people, but they're who I want.

e: I mean, I'll give you an example. This is going to sound like a bit, but it actually happened. My director mailed my team a menial task. It's me and another architect, and 3 senior sys admins. Not a single mid level or junior admin on the team. He emailed a request, and 2 days later he had to follow up with a second request. Why? Because 5 people making 6 figures saw an email with a menial task, went "welp that's not me", and moved on to the next thing. Well done, us!

The problem with the guy you want is you have to go through the hiring and training process every year or two. If they're actually good, they're going to learn enough to bootstrap the gently caress out of doing menial poo poo.

Not saying it's bad. I was that person once and I shoveled poo poo faster than anybody I worked with. But none of the companies I worked for were very happy that I was leaving so soon because they couldn't afford the 40% raise another company was offering.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Inspector_666 posted:

I am growing to loathe Firefox with a passion since it has no tie-ins to GPO or anything that would help me manage it across the entire company. This is especially an issue since Security wants to roll out Zscaler and there's no way for me to get the cert installed into Firefox without trusting a user to do something for themselves.

It's not ideal, but you can use a tool called CCK2 to generate an autoconfig file with your custom settings, which just needs to be deployed to the program files folder of Firefox. It supports adding certs, but I've never tested that functionality. If you don't trust the dev for CCK2 you could try creating a .cfg file yourself.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Might be a good idea on a team like this to set up a rotation for handling the menial stuff. That way the bitchwork gets done, nobody gets bogged down with it, and everyone gets a little facetime with the unwashed masses users without whom we wouldn't have jobs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

vvvv Ahh yeah good catch there in that I'm still calling Edge "IE" and have to grow out of that.

If it was me, I'd try to find someone like me but 15 years ago. A long long time ago a young skippy was a community college student trying to get away from waiting tables the rest of his life. Learned quickly, just needed that opportunity. I eventually got it, moved my way up from 12 bucks an hour working phone support to where I am today. I'd target younger folks in tech programs. They don't have to have graduated or anything. I'd reach out to the instructors and tell them to have their brightest students send me a resume.

I have no idea how they're recruiting this job though, since I joined this much larger org I'm now a part of (via acquisition) I have no idea how a lot of those things work anymore.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The problem with the guy you want is you have to go through the hiring and training process every year or two. If they're actually good, they're going to learn enough to bootstrap the gently caress out of doing menial poo poo.

This can be a problem, but we're decent about keeping good people around. If someone comes in and really starts showing their worth, we'll find a way to keep them if we can. If not, I personally take great pleasure watching folks move on to bigger and better opportunities. A great friend of mine started off as an intern working for me, coached him along the way, he took a lot of initiative on his own, he recently got a job on par with mine making the same if not a little more money. So proud of that guy. Another intern I had didn't take any initiative at all, wasn't really interested in expanding his skillset and did the bare minimum for his internship requirement. I'm pretty sure he's back at Jiffy Lube changing oil again.

SamDabbers posted:

Might be a good idea on a team like this to set up a rotation for handling the menial stuff. That way the bitchwork gets done, nobody gets bogged down with it, and everyone gets a little facetime with the unwashed masses users without whom we wouldn't have jobs.

To clarify this isn't even end user support, we have an entire massive helpdesk team for that. This is basically backend infrastructure support poo poo. Run this report, check this server, provision these servers, make sure CMDB is updated properly, stuff like that, grant these users access to these servers. We're a small team right now and us spending time on that stuff takes us away from the projects we need to be working on. It needs to get done, but it's not a great use of resources. I have no problem with the bitch work, if they seriously want to pay me what I make to do it, whatever.... but it's taking me away from other projects my boss wants me to focus on. It's not a great feeling when I have to give a status update on an enterprise initiative that I didn't get much done because I spent 80% of last week doing jr admin level work instead.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We are in the process of (or possibly already did) hiring a mid-level windows sys admin. They've interviewed a few guys, but our director is doing the interviews and not asking any technical questions, so our HR person scheduled second interviews so that either our architect, my team lead, or myself could actually do a technical interview. Director told HR to cancel the second interview and that they aren't needed. Two years ago they did the same poo poo just as I was joining the team, the 2 guys they hired? One quit after 3 months (he would have been fired within another 2-3) and the second guy was fired a year ago, neither of them had anything above cursory knowledge and the one guy that quit straight up told me (and asked if I wanted in) that he gets test dumps for vmware and other certs and that's how he passed the tests...

Doomed to repeat failures.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hungry Computer posted:

It's not ideal, but you can use a tool called CCK2 to generate an autoconfig file with your custom settings, which just needs to be deployed to the program files folder of Firefox. It supports adding certs, but I've never tested that functionality. If you don't trust the dev for CCK2 you could try creating a .cfg file yourself.

Since a while ago, Firefox has a config setting called "security.enterprise_roots.enabled", if you enable that it will automatically trust any root certificates added to Windows' own cert store by group policy. (I'm not sure how exactly it discovers what certs to pick up, however it does work in my org.)
Anyway, if you enable that you generally won't have to manually add any cert roots to Firefox.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Today's been quiet so I'm using my time to write pipeline rules for graylog.

ElasticSearch based dashboards feel like magic to me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not saying it's bad. I was that person once and I shoveled poo poo faster than anybody I worked with. But none of the companies I worked for were very happy that I was leaving so soon because they couldn't afford the 40% raise another company was offering.

I'm worried that this is me. Hopefully not, since this place gives promotions in title/pay without someone else necessarily having to vacate their position. But even if it is me, that means I got hired on here and got a lot of experience quickly before getting a new job, so there are much worse problems to have.

They told me last week they were going through the paperwork with HR to convert me at the end of my contract. The wait is agonizing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm worried that this is me. Hopefully not, since this place gives promotions in title/pay without someone else necessarily having to vacate their position. But even if it is me, that means I got hired on here and got a lot of experience quickly before getting a new job, so there are much worse problems to have.

They told me last week they were going through the paperwork with HR to convert me at the end of my contract. The wait is agonizing.

They mean convert you to unemployed, obviously :v:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is it just me that feels overwhelmed when wanting to learn something new on a 0 budget? Sure, I could fire up a VM if it's software and bang away but what the hell do I do? The only things I've ever really experienced is Server 2003-2012 and some of the things that come with it. I'm rusty at DNS. I can't think of a single pet project to do where I'd learn something. My company really isn't big enough to play with bigger toys like SCCM or such.

I just know I need to make more and do something more than Tier 2 level helpdesk for the rest of my career. :sigh:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is why I will always argue for certifications. A certification is great at showing you what you don't even know you don't know about a skill you're interested in. You're familiar with Server 2012? Crack open 70-410, install a VM and work through the book cover to cover. You'll find all sorts of things you didn't know. Did a part of 70-410 stick out more than others? Google it. Go to Technet. Ask questions around here. Follow that trail for a while until you end up somewhere else. And so forth.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is why I will always argue for certifications. A certification is great at showing you what you don't even know you don't know about a skill you're interested in. You're familiar with Server 2012? Crack open 70-410, install a VM and work through the book cover to cover. You'll find all sorts of things you didn't know. Did a part of 70-410 stick out more than others? Google it. Go to Technet. Ask questions around here. Follow that trail for a while until you end up somewhere else. And so forth.

That's the same logic my director uses for certifications. It's hard to find fault in it, especially when your employer is pushing you to do it on company time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

They mean convert you to unemployed, obviously :v:

Stop feeding the irrational anxiety in my head :mad:

There's another month and a half on my contract, at least. And I'm applying around, I just know there's not likely to be anything better in terms of pay and growth potential.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's part of my problem. I got my 2012 cert but I barely used the knowledge for a while and now, I forget most stuff. If I pick the stuff I'm interested in, a relatively small company isn't going to want to go for it when it comes to usage so I'll end up forgetting most of that too.

I want to automate, policy, build things to make jobs easier and more efficient. Signs point me to basically wanting DevOps but it's such a huge ocean of knowledge I don't even know where to begin.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

That's part of my problem. I got my 2012 cert but I barely used the knowledge for a while and now, I forget most stuff. If I pick the stuff I'm interested in, a relatively small company isn't going to want to go for it when it comes to usage so I'll end up forgetting most of that too.

I want to automate, policy, build things to make jobs easier and more efficient. Signs point me to basically wanting DevOps but it's such a huge ocean of knowledge I don't even know where to begin.

Small shops need automation too. Start with things that eat up a lot of time like User Provisioning or things that are almost never done well like User De-Provisioning and start automating. Then start looking to hook that automation into the HR processes so IT never has to look at them again.

PSDeploy for application packaging is a good one to play with to start getting your applications installs standardized (even without having to go so far as using something like SCCM for large scale deployments). A lot of the underlying pieces of the "big boy stuff" is still useful in a small shop.

You can look at imaging via MDT since the cost is simply resources (Server/Disk) and the OS license. This translates very well to large environments.

Some things you automate may not save a ton of time, but they can standardize processes and if nothing else can help you learn to automate better.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zaepho posted:

Some things you automate may not save a ton of time, but they can standardize processes and if nothing else can help you learn to automate better.

Emphasis mine.

I don't think this can be overstated. The more standard a process is, the less human touch is needed, which means there are fewer mistakes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

I don't think this can be overstated. The more standard a process is, the less human touch is needed, which means there are fewer mistakes.
For 252 pages of exceptions to this rule, read Sidney Dekker's The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vulture Culture posted:

For 252 pages of exceptions to this rule, read Sidney Dekker's The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error.

I saw that post and immediately thought "a post about documenting process, I'm positive Vulture Culture will have something to say about this."

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
learned something new today :)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What are you doing 1440 times today?

e: I'll tell you, I see repeat every minute, my first thought is that some poo poo's broke pretty bad and that's a tourniquet.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 25, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Roargasm posted:

You learned about scheduled tasks?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What are you doing 1440 times today?

Triggering a noise to play on a random coworker's computer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roargasm posted:

are you suggesting that this task was scheduled to run 1440 times a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

are you suggesting that this task was scheduled to run 1440 times a day?

Sure. It's a drop down menu and I didn't know you could select it and type your own value afterwards, the lowest value on the drop down is 5 minutes. Anyway it's not weird to do checks and poo poo 1440 times a day, this job grabs a bunch of json and formats it into a status page

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 25, 2017