Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Unfallen tend to have another guardian unscanned on their starting planet, so you can start with 2 extra dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

IAmTheRad posted:

Wait, the Unfallen can cleanse the galaxy with fire?

Yeah, but there are a few "fire" paths, but thematically it's more the regrowth after a forest fire than extermination, and even when they cleanse a world with fire it's more terraforming than Apocalypse.

From a gameplay perspective? Not really. I've no clue how effective a debuff hostile guardians are, but the incentives aren't there. OTOH, I can theorize an industry and war build utilizing their high population, extra happiness, and some choice minor faction assimilation and pop collection bonus exploitation. I don't understand the political system well enough to pull it off yet, though. And it would probably be just a novelty, but who knows. I guess I'll try it next game rather than voydani and report back on murder hippies.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone explain to me what the influence pressure between other major civilizations does? Is it influence income? Or the difference in stockpiled influence?

Does having a positive influence pressure make them like you more? Cause most of the major civilizations are way in the negative for pressure and they all seem to hate me I guess.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Most of the other nations hate me even with high influence. Unless I bribe them to peace it mostly stays that way with a few exceptions.

As far as I can tell, influence pressure only allows you make demands, but won't force them to accede/appease. If you're strong but uninfluential you can't demand, but only conquer until that naturally skews the scales in your favor. And the other way around, I suppose.

If I'm right, it is just a fancy cool down between demands, but I'm mostly guessing since I haven't really bothered with my quite pitiful fleet.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Be wary of making demands. If they refuse, it's an automatic declaration of war.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shab posted:

Be wary of making demands. If they refuse, it's an automatic declaration of war.

An automatic free declaration of war. I

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

An automatic free declaration of war. I

:ssh:

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Shab posted:

Alternatively, do it because who cares? The AI's too timid to do anything about it anyway.

Well, that may have turned out to be an overstatement - the Serious opponent I'm playing against now actually sieged one of my planets. It didn't end well for him, but he declared war on ME and made an aggressive move! I sparked it by just parking a fleet in one of his systems for like 10 turns as he sent me progressively more angry messages. Maybe now I'll finally get some loving fights.

edit: I kind of wonder if I should just be playing on Endless to make the AI the most aggressive, but I know I'd get massively outplayed in every other aspect of the game at that point; I'm barely keeping pace points-wise with Serious opponents. I just don't have the attention to detail it takes to rein myself in and do all the little optimal things on all my worlds once I get past like 5 of them. That's probably a big part of why I took so readily to the Vodyani, you just don't have as many planets/populations to manage, and actively try not to assimilate minor cultures so you can leech them indefinitely.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 24, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There seems to be very little talk of goons outfitting support ships with Titanium Slugs. If you park like 2 of those around a planet, a small ship will clear like 75 troops off the planet per turn. I invade against a token conscription force after shelling them into Hades, using a support ship with a troop carrier.

Specialize your ships, people.

I just put like 1 Titanium Slugs mod on every single one of my ships, so I don't have to worry about specializing. And, well, I don't have the patience to wait 2-3 turns to clear out 500 troops per turn out of 1500. It just makes war super tedious either way.

Avasculous posted:

The Craver questline reward is impressively lame.

You get your choice of:
-Defeat an NPC fleet -> gain the ability to ignore forced truces for free.
-Control 74 planets (about half the loving galaxy) -> Gain 2 Influence for every CP of ships you destroy.

I miss the Endless Legend questlines, which were twice as long and often totally undoable, but gave suitably massive rewards.

Especially since you can ignore forced truces for free anyway? Just accept the truce and immediately declare war on them again, which is free because of the Militarist law. 2 influence per CP destroyed is also literally nothing. In general I feel like everything in this game that scales with CP destroyed is worthless, because by the time fleets are even slightly large the bonuses are less than 3% of what you produce every turn.

That said, not all the faction quest rewards are awful. Riftborn halves the cost of producing population, for example.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

That said, not all the faction quest rewards are awful. Riftborn halves the cost of producing population, for example.

DO NOT CHOOSE THAT ONE IF YOU WANT TO FINISH THE STORY.

There's a point where you have to choose what to do with the old Riftborn authority. The first, green choice looks easy and gives you a very desirable -50% to the cost of building pops, but the next stage requires you to raise support for the Ecologists to a completely impossible level. The third, brown choice gives you a lesser reduction on both building pops and building troops, and you almost certainly have enough Industrial support for the next step.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Psh, finishing the story is overrated.

Same with the Academy questline too. It's a huge and involved thing that simply isn't worth the cost of investing any time or attention to it. You'll probably win the game before it finishes.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The story for ES2 isn't like the story for Endless Legend. You can basically ignore it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The Unfallen quest chain was so easy I hadn't even realized I'd finished it till I had stopped getting more faction quests.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

The story for ES2 isn't like the story for Endless Legend. You can basically ignore it.

It doesn't matter if you're focusing on winning, but some people want to see what happens or want the achievement, and that's currently a roadblock.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I'm definitely missing something with Riftborn. I'm not seeing any snowballing, and I'm at turn 60 on a new game, fast speed. I have 7 systems - most of them have 4+ planets - none of which have reached/gone over 10 pop, most of them around 7 or less. Even with the +5 to everything per pop, the numbers just aren't that high. It takes way too long to make new pops, with my most productive system only managing 266 industry while pops take 750+ to make, and it gets worse the more I make.

How can I possibly manage to make unstoppable systems at this rate while everyone else is way ahead of me in score? Even when I went for Interplanetary Transport Network and Xeno-Industrial Infrastructure because of the dismal numbers, it just isn't enough. I can't even afford to keep the singularities going at 250 dust each, and I'm only making 300 a turn.

I have Horatio next door harassing me with his huge fleets and ridiculous systems, and even though I chose lasers and hull plating on my ships to counter his slugs and plating, I'm getting dunked on in every fight. Admittedly I have pretty much only the starting tech in regards to weapons, but the laser/other weapon techs in the Military section don't seem like very big upgrades. I've heard that missiles are OP, but I thought they wouldn't be very effective against the slugs and plating so I didn't bother with them. I've been using medium hunter ships too, but maybe I'm just wasting my time building those, even though they seem really powerful? Should I just be spamming a ton of small ships instead?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sailor Dave posted:

I'm definitely missing something with Riftborn. I'm not seeing any snowballing, and I'm at turn 60 on a new game, fast speed. I have 7 systems - most of them have 4+ planets - none of which have reached/gone over 10 pop, most of them around 7 or less. Even with the +5 to everything per pop, the numbers just aren't that high. It takes way too long to make new pops, with my most productive system only managing 266 industry while pops take 750+ to make, and it gets worse the more I make.

How can I possibly manage to make unstoppable systems at this rate while everyone else is way ahead of me in score? Even when I went for Interplanetary Transport Network and Xeno-Industrial Infrastructure because of the dismal numbers, it just isn't enough. I can't even afford to keep the singularities going at 250 dust each, and I'm only making 300 a turn.

I have Horatio next door harassing me with his huge fleets and ridiculous systems, and even though I chose lasers and hull plating on my ships to counter his slugs and plating, I'm getting dunked on in every fight. Admittedly I have pretty much only the starting tech in regards to weapons, but the laser/other weapon techs in the Military section don't seem like very big upgrades. I've heard that missiles are OP, but I thought they wouldn't be very effective against the slugs and plating so I didn't bother with them. I've been using medium hunter ships too, but maybe I'm just wasting my time building those, even though they seem really powerful? Should I just be spamming a ton of small ships instead?

Small, upgraded ships are more efficient than large ships. Run one tank ship for every 3-4 DPS ships, and make sure you put a hero (ideally one specialized for combat - seeker or guardian is best, but any hero with combat talents will work) with any fleet going into a hard fight. Weapon upgrades are huge, especially the first couple of upgrades - it's something like double/triple damage. You can get by with white weapons - you don't need the ones that use special metal.

The secret to Riftborn is to cherry-pick every source of +ind-per-pop you can. Get the gem system modernization (the level 2, 3, 4 upgrades), take both points of the +1 food/ind skill for all of your governor heroes, get the third-tier ability to specialize your planets for industry (right-hand tree, above trade companies). If you do that, you can get a few core systems that can crank out a pop per turn even at the highest level, and then just use those systems to ship pops out to your outlying systems.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

I just put like 1 Titanium Slugs mod on every single one of my ships, so I don't have to worry about specializing. And, well, I don't have the patience to wait 2-3 turns to clear out 500 troops per turn out of 1500. It just makes war super tedious either way.

It beats the hell out of throwing hundreds of manpower at a well defended planet and then waiting multiple turns for it to refill.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can you counter Titanium Slugs with insane manpower generation? Meaning, do Slugs fire at the end of the turn, then manpower regen kicks in?

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 25, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

How do you send pops from one system to another? I can really break the game with riftborn if you can do that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Antti posted:

How do you send pops from one system to another? I can really break the game with riftborn if you can do that.

Once you upgrade a system to level 2 with the appropriate tech and luxuries, it gets a spaceport slot that lets you send pops out on little ships with.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Antti posted:

If you have a level 2 colony, you have a spaceport that shows up here.

Pick up your citizens as you would if you were transferring them to a different planet...

...And let the cravers die in space.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

How have I played 20 hours without ever noticing that? Good god. Thank you to both of you. May the space pogroms begin.

By the by, I jumped into my finished Riftborn game to look at it and the lag did seem reduced after applying the actual 1.05 patch.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 25, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

Can you counter Titanium Slugs with insane manpower generation? Meaning, do Slugs fire at the end of the turn, then manpower regen kicks in?

No, because garrisons won't refill in a sieged system anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It beats the hell out of throwing hundreds of manpower at a well defended planet and then waiting multiple turns for it to refill.

I have more manpower than you can possibly imagine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

I have more manpower than you can possibly imagine.

Ok

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Is it better to try and specialize systems toward a particular type of productions? Or should I just try to crank out every available system improvement in every system I have?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Mostly yes, a little no. Generally only if the percentage boosts are better. Generally I tend to specialize mostly hot, mostly cold systems, going light on terraforming. Mixed systems tend to get dust and influence, and per-planet boosters. Fertile systems get food boosts and ship out population to the sterile systems.

Side Note: even if you queue up building, automation is quite handy for optimizing a mixed populace like Unfallen tends towards.

My attempt to take the Unfallen along the fire path is going slowly. Unlike previous games, factions I'm at peace with are bitching about every goddamned scout and going to cold war. I may have to go to war just to reach the damned quest pirates. I suppose that could be a good thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not like having more improvements is ever bad: the maintenance costs quickly become irrelevant, but you want to prioritize the ones that will have larger effects on that system. And eventually you might be better off building Science than another improvement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there really no way to remove spacevines? Goddamn are they annoying. The spacetreants already got eaten by the space vampires and there's no more Unfallen and Guardian pops in my empire; what gives?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just found out you can upgrade heroships, by clicking on them in the inspect menu

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only ever use heros on systems, and then I never want to take them off as they up the output by such fantastic amounts. Are people using them for such wasteful and crass things as combat???

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some quests require it, and sometimes you get hero skill combinations that do very little for your race. like i got this guy right now in my riftborn game that mostly has food skills, made him a captain

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure some of the interactions between Unfallen and Vodyani are suuuper broken. I find it unlikely that they found 9 guardians in my home system.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

e: phone double post

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

...Sigh. Is there anything to do when "Turn Pending" lasts forever? Reloading and it stalls on end turn again. The game hasn't frozen, just the damned turns.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LordSloth posted:

...Sigh. Is there anything to do when "Turn Pending" lasts forever? Reloading and it stalls on end turn again. The game hasn't frozen, just the damned turns.
Either this or having a combat that won't start/end has finished every game I've played so far. Pretty annoying.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

But... the construction queue isn't blocked. :shrug:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

What does your system industry say when you hover over it?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Overminty posted:

What does your system industry say when you hover over it?

-2994.6 from Production Conversion

I think I know the problem. I just finished the (50% construction->science) research and the hosed systems are those I currently had doing the (25% construction->science) tech. The new tech replaced the old but the old conversion is still applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shab posted:

But... the construction queue isn't blocked. :shrug:

Add then remove the "infinite" options like Industry -> Science before.

It worked for me.