Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Trebuchet King posted:

making servers responsible for bringing in their own pens is more common than the establishment providing pens, right?

Sure if you wanna hear 8 servers fight over 2 pens for 6 hours straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

making servers responsible for bringing in their own pens is more common than the establishment providing pens, right?

Are you high?

My work supplies pens, but I also bring extra pens in when I have them. Also I've been usin the same 3 pens since January.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i was trying to figure out if i had been gaslighted by previous jobs.

thanks.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

iospace posted:

Bucket of crabs fallacy right there. Also, pretty much every argument gets dumpstered here: http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/heres-how-every-argument-against-a-minimum-wage-hike-is-1728874042

:discourse:

i always bring my own sharpie to work but they have enough that i don't need to. just previous gigs didn't always have them so i'm accustomed to making it part of what i bring with me. that list has pared down a lot in the last few months now that i have a stable full-time gig (also i just plain wasn't using my bench scraper for anything anymore)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Server uniform:
Clothes
Wine key
Bank
5 pens

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pile of brown posted:

Server uniform:
Clothes
Wine key
Bank
5 pens
It's missing a few things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHfHaXLM9HU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All servers do is take cigarette breaks and drink in the bathroom, fun drugs are for boh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have 7 pens

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I need to start buying shittier pens. Every time I drop a check I get a "oh this is a nice pen!" Then sure as poo poo I don't have my nice pens anymore.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Trebuchet King posted:

Pens cost less than side cups. Of course not.

I mean, having to re-fire one order because the server couldn't memorize on the fly is more expensive than ordering a hundred pens with the restaurant's logo on them, for pete's sake.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 25, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bussamove posted:

I need to start buying shittier pens. Every time I drop a check I get a "oh this is a nice pen!" Then sure as poo poo I don't have my nice pens anymore.

Get a bag of Bic pens it's like 10 cents a pen. Save your nice pens for writing down orders, and have four bics in your apron for when you drop checks.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 25, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i remember, when i first started, wondering about the expectation to provide my own pens and just begrudgingly coming to accept it.

the logo pens is a really good call, now that we actually have a logo we should deffo do that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Get a bag of Bic pens it's like 10 cents a pen. Save your nice pens for writing down orders, and have four bics in your apron for when you drop checks.

loving lol if you don't have a pen lodged into every billfold that you drop off at a table

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Someone had the bright idea of laminating the daily prep list to save on ink/paper but people keep losing the wet erase markers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mezzanon posted:

loving lol if you don't have a pen lodged into every billfold that you drop off at a table

wait your place gives out free pens? gently caress, I know where I'm going to dinner next

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Republicans posted:

Someone had the bright idea of laminating the daily prep list to save on ink/paper but people keep losing the wet erase markers.

I've been read Clausewitz's "On War", in which he talks about the concept of "friction", basically the piling up of little details and stupid poo poo which will grind any army to a halt unless the supreme commander has supreme mental and moral fortitude to force people to get things done right and suggests that it is a phenomena unique to warfare, which is a load of poo poo because as I read that section I started flashing back to every kitchen I've ever worked in.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Who's ready for hell weekend?!

:dance:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have Sunday and Monday off :smug:

(requested Sunday off because it's "my holiday": read I spend the entirety of it on my butt watching racing, and didn't even ask for Monday off!)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mindphlux posted:

wait your place gives out free pens? gently caress, I know where I'm going to dinner next

Fukkkin jokes on you I put the red pens in the billfold.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I've been read Clausewitz's "On War", in which he talks about the concept of "friction", basically the piling up of little details and stupid poo poo which will grind any army to a halt unless the supreme commander has supreme mental and moral fortitude to force people to get things done right and suggests that it is a phenomena unique to warfare, which is a load of poo poo because as I read that section I started flashing back to every kitchen I've ever worked in.

It's almost as if the brigade system was styled after a military chain of command.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Republicans posted:

Can we set up some sort of exchange? I need Sharpies all the time, and all my shop seems to have is, inexplicably, dry and/or wet-erase markers. Finally bought a key-chain Sharpie from AC Moore that I can keep on my person, best $1.49 I've spent. I will gladly send you Expo's for Sharpies, or even regular pens. (If anyone wants the Crayola washables [wtf] you can just have those)

So I crushed the middle finger on my right hand in my garage door last night. Being on sandwich line and making wraps today sure was fun! :haw: On the upside, I got to flip off a lot of people because I can't bend the finger.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

More details tonight, but someone ordered a bagel with 4 cream cheeses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

More details tonight, but someone ordered a bagel with 4 cream cheeses.

I once sold a woman 2 pints of Half and Half. Then watched her drink it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And middle aged, bald dude in yoga pants came in

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I quit :420: to clean out for a transfer to accounting and a little under two weeks later, as of yesterday, went to the doctor for an alarming grab-bag of symptoms and was diagnosed with acute hypertension on account of rolling panic attacks.

I am officially too old for this poo poo. :smith:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I know some states have laws about like how much booze can be in like a single "serving", but how widespread across the country is this?

Saw some old friends the other day and some of our old misadventures came up, including a time I ordered, was served, and drank, a pint glass full of Jameson's. The evening went worse from there on, but I would order and be served this on more than one occasion in a few different states, but now I cannot imagine how any reasonable person would serve someone so much at once. One of the old friends lives in NC and mentioned that there was some law about how much can be served at one time, and we wondered if laws like that were common.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I know some states have laws about like how much booze can be in like a single "serving", but how widespread across the country is this?

Saw some old friends the other day and some of our old misadventures came up, including a time I ordered, was served, and drank, a pint glass full of Jameson's. The evening went worse from there on, but I would order and be served this on more than one occasion in a few different states, but now I cannot imagine how any reasonable person would serve someone so much at once. One of the old friends lives in NC and mentioned that there was some law about how much can be served at one time, and we wondered if laws like that were common.

Utah is the only one I know of with a specific amount you're allowed to serve at a time, but I think every state has laws against over serving, which 16 ounces of whiskey would definitely qualify as.

A quick check shows NC has a law saying unless it's a boilermaker restaurants can only serve one drink at a time, but not how much alcohol can be in that drink. Utah doesn't let you serve more than a jigger of the hard stuff in a drink.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 27, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Utah has the lowest alcohol everything across the USA, I hear?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Utah is the shittiest state in the union I hear. Makes my glorious Texas look like a liberal paradise.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

nuru posted:

Utah has the lowest alcohol everything across the USA, I hear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FsY2bh1No

In case the timestamp doesn't work skip to 1:22

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

A quick check shows NC has a law saying unless it's a boilermaker restaurants can only serve one drink at a time, but not how much alcohol can be in that drink. Utah doesn't let you serve more than a jigger of the hard stuff in a drink.

That might have been it, he said something about not being able to order three beers as a time. He is a nerd and wanted to let stouts warm up a bit.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

Utah is the only one I know of with a specific amount you're allowed to serve at a time, but I think every state has laws against over serving, which 16 ounces of whiskey would definitely qualify as.

Until 2006, liquor in North Carolina could only be served from mini bottles.

https://charleston.eater.com/2015/10/16/9553903/mini-bottles-charleston-law-cocktails

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Every restaurant I've worked at in Northern Ontario had a hard liquor limit of 1.5-2oz per drink and a limit of 2 drinks per half hour.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Until 2006, liquor in North Carolina could only be served from mini bottles.

https://charleston.eater.com/2015/10/16/9553903/mini-bottles-charleston-law-cocktails

Jesus dude. South Carolina. Charleston is in SC.

I know because I lived there and I loved getting mini bottles at bars. Cracked me up.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

charleston is my hometown, and i feel pretty comfortable sayin' most of the folks back there would slap you silly for makin a mix-up like that

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wow, you Carolina people are so sensitive. Almost like you think your states are important or something.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wow, you Carolina people are so sensitive. Almost like you think your states are important or something.

Oh I'm not from there I was stationed there. But it's important to know where Charleston is.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg posted:

I quit :420: to clean out for a transfer to accounting and a little under two weeks later, as of yesterday, went to the doctor for an alarming grab-bag of symptoms and was diagnosed with acute hypertension on account of rolling panic attacks.

I am officially too old for this poo poo. :smith:

sounds like it's time to start smokin weed again imo

for real tho goondolences

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh I'm not from there I was stationed there. But it's important to know where Charleston is.

right near the ohio border of west virginia, yes siree

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Every restaurant I've worked at in Northern Ontario had a hard liquor limit of 1.5-2oz per drink and a limit of 2 drinks per half hour.

Only ever having worked at a pizza place as a driver, that really sucks. I mean, you do a Manhattan or a sidecar or a martini, that's over 2oz on the base liquor, let alone the Cointreau or vermouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

That's not a provincial law thing, that's probably just a "we're up north and this is what's best for people not getting drunk and loving up our property". Northern Saskatchewan (where I grew up) has similar things, yet where I am now (southern Ontario) the limit is 3oz of hard alcohol at a time (per person, so you can still do pitchers/fishbowls/punch bowls/whatever).

And the 2 drink limit per half hour is probably suggested by Smart Serv (the provincial accreditation you need to serve alcohol) but no one ever follows that.

• Locked thread