Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh my god its twin shootout

Oh wait, you can tell them apart because of the hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Nooooooo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this dude went from being evil to being really helpful and kind of nice in the way he helps explain it

wooow suuuuuuuch good writing and delivery this is greaaat

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

that was really sad i'm sad

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, Nikki made it to the next episode, but Ray...not so.

And drat, the bruises will line up with Varga's story of what "happened".

Numberwang posted:

I think they made the mistake of making almost every character a bit too quirky or cartoony. Because of this even the most brutal scenes lack a real sense of dread.

I agree except for the fact I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen at the end of the last episode and felt the tension. I was actually surprised to see her get up.

The "couple on the run" the last two seasons have both been overambitious morons, one of whom ends up dying as a result.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
:smith:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
:smith:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well, one of them was gonna get it. maybe both before we're done.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

well, one of them was gonna get it. maybe both before we're done.

Definitely both when we're done. Though who knows!

It's really amazing how anticlimactic and unsuposing this was done tho. I really thought Ray & Emmit's conflict would last to the end.

These writers really know how to channel the Coen Brothers.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 25, 2017

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know if this has been asked, but who was playing the IRS agent these last two episodes? He seems really familiar.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know if this has been asked, but who was playing the IRS agent these last two episodes? He seems really familiar.

Hamish Linklater. He was the government psychologist in Legion.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ray :smith: That stupid loving stamp.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like how the IRS guy was the same actor as the guy interviewing the main character in the beginning of Legion, and they were both being weird about their pens.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Has anyone pointed out that when Nikki goes back to her motel room the TV seems to be playing a farcical version of one of the scenes from season 2?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Good episode.

Even though Ray's death was unexpected, I'm kind of glad they won't do the couple on the run they did last season. And to be honest, Ray and Nikki both made some very careless and downright stupid moves, and this felt like a downward spiral for them for a while now.

Nikki seemed to be the smarter one; but ultimately that was only in comparison to Ray -- she hasn't made many (or any) smart moves recently.

I don't know what to make of the IRS plot thread. Was that it? It kind off got resolved in a very expected way... Although, Vargas said they would show cooked books, but then they just used the Chinese hitman and legalese to gain time.

Is Vargas' whole "company" just him and those two other guys, set up with the help of some really pervasive/ intrusive/ hacking software?

Also, was the point of the intro that none of the short stories were true, even though he declared them as such, and some people would still believe them exactly because of their absurdity or unlikelihood presented as a fact/ anecdote?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, was the point of the intro that none of the short stories were true, even though he declared them as such, and some people would still believe them exactly because of their absurdity or unlikelihood presented as a fact/ anecdote?

This is a ______ story.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Regy Rusty posted:

This is a ______ story.

Indeed. I like that they did this, and I do find it clever in that regard.

However, the first of the 3 stories seemed vague (as compared to the other two) and Vargas concludes with something along the lines of "the perception of reality becomes reality" which didn't really make sense to me as the point of the (Lehman) bank story --I should mention though that I am not familiar with the details of what actually happened with that bank -- or as something that connected the other two stories.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

However, the first of the 3 stories seemed vague (as compared to the other two) and Vargas concludes with something along the lines of "the perception of reality becomes reality" which didn't really make sense to me as the point of the (Lehman) bank story --I should mention though that I am not familiar with the details of what actually happened with that bank -- or as something that connected the other two stories.

The story with the bank is about how a financial disaster can occur without any physical basis. A bank goes under not because something happened in the material world, but because of something that happened in the symbolic, representational, transactional world of finance. The bank is insolvent because it is collectively perceived and agreed to be insolvent, not because it lost any tangible assets.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The scene with Varga grinding a metal pin into his rotting tooth was so loving disgusting

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The scene with Varga grinding a metal pin into his rotting tooth was so loving disgusting

That's how English people floss, please show some respect for our culture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, Gloria doesn't give a single poo poo about Varga's theatrics. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh my god you go watch or read The Big Short this instance.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I know of nothing better than the Appassionata and could listen to it every day. What astonishing, superhuman music! It always makes me proud, perhaps with a childish naiveté, to think that people can work such miracles! … But I can’t listen to music very often, it affects my nerves. I want to say sweet, silly things, and pat the little heads of people who, living in a filthy hell, can create such beauty. These days, one can’t pat anyone on the head nowadays, they might bite your hand off. Hence, you have to beat people's little heads, beat mercilessly, although ideally we are against doing any violence to people. Hm — what a devillishly difficult job!
From a personal conversation, quoted from memory by Maxim Gorky in "V.I. Lenin" (1924)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ArmZ posted:

I know of nothing better than the Appassionata and could listen to it every day. What astonishing, superhuman music! It always makes me proud, perhaps with a childish naiveté, to think that people can work such miracles! … But I can’t listen to music very often, it affects my nerves. I want to say sweet, silly things, and pat the little heads of people who, living in a filthy hell, can create such beauty. These days, one can’t pat anyone on the head nowadays, they might bite your hand off. Hence, you have to beat people's little heads, beat mercilessly, although ideally we are against doing any violence to people. Hm — what a devillishly difficult job!
From a personal conversation, quoted from memory by Maxim Gorky in "V.I. Lenin" (1924)

Also, the excellent recycle of the Lennon/Lenin joke.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Astounding to me that even though he wanted his enraged brother to concede Emmit won the duel because he had the moral high ground

widunder
May 2, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, the excellent recycle of the Lennon/Lenin joke.
That made me smirk :unsmith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Astounding to me that even though he wanted his enraged brother to concede Emmit won the duel because he had the moral high ground

lol shouldn't have hosed wiht someone who has the high ground. a classic and ancient mistake

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp time to catch up on the latest episode and see how that endearingly stupid but genuinely loving couple are making out this we... no. NO! :gonk:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerusalem posted:

Welp time to catch up on the latest episode and see how that endearingly stupid but genuinely loving couple are making out this we... no. NO! :gonk:

Yeah. :(

I guess it was always likely but it still bummed me out all the same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This only leaves Jimmy and Kimmy over on Better Call Saul as the sweetest couple on television prestige drama.... :ohdear:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This season kind of sucks.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I really like this season, the slow shots are really tense. It's hard to judge time though, like how far away was that motel? Did the hitman in the bathroom just teleport on out of there? Are they the aliens?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jerusalem posted:

This only leaves Jimmy and Kimmy over on Better Call Saul as the sweetest couple on television prestige drama.... :ohdear:

Well, that ain't gonna last forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Well, that ain't gonna last forever.

That's what has me worried. At least there'll always be Molly and Gus :shobon:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

We may be left with Andy and Lucy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We may be left with Andy and Lucy.

I'm slowly working my way through the second season of Twin Peaks before watching the new season, I have really high hopes for it though.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Have to admit I'm becoming a little disappointed with this season overall. Ep 1 was stellar, probably the best of the season openers but I just don't find the story all that compelling. The characters are solid, the writing is very good, I don't know, the whole plot just kinda feels uninspired.

And maybe I'm the only one but I thought Ray being killed by the stamp was extremely hamfisted. I know Fargo is a quirky show where the unlikely happens but it felt forced and a little too far, even for this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, I had my doubts about this season but this episode just destroyed them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Unzip and Attack posted:

ave to admit I'm becoming a little disappointed with this season overall. Ep 1 was stellar, probably the best of the season openers but I just don't find the story all that compelling. The characters are solid, the writing is very good, I don't know, the whole plot just kinda feels uninspired.

I feel like it's turning into a morality play about 'corruption wins.' It feels very appropriate to Trump's America right now. Or Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season is about information and communication and how they create reality rather than represent it. Varga is an unrestricted Internet/global economy personified. There are other themes but that seems to me to be the big one.

e: like, even to the point where his plan for getting them rich is to buy literal empty lots and he says out loud "I might as well not exist"

• Locked thread