Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or you could take that steel, melt it down, and make the most mediocre gun in the world which will still be far and away superior to the finest hanzo-Damascus hybrid
dude i study mediocre guns for a living and let me tell you

early modern tech kinda sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or you could take that steel, melt it down, and make the most mediocre gun in the world which will still be far and away superior to the finest hanzo-Damascus hybrid

Or a gunsword

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You forgot to make bullets :smuggo:

Its okay if I remember HALO right you can just pistol whip people to death.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Ah yes, the age old answer to the question of "best sword:" getting a gun.

Tune in next when we decide Miss Universe by paying a hooker to sleep with us, win the "WW2's best bolt action rifle contest" by flying in an F/A-18 and conquer the world's cutest kitten contest by paying a hooker to sleep with us.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

By the same process that means one of them Hitachi vibrator things is probably the world's best penis

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think most modern swords are meant for use as tools. They're for display, occasionally chopping stuff on a demo video to prove their sharpness, and being used in mock combat for a fairly small subset of people who use legit swords on each other.

well. actually

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"how best to sell my street sword urban combat fighting method? obviously I will not be able to leave my mountain shrine for this photoshoot"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

By the same process that means one of them Hitachi vibrator things is probably the world's best penis
Secretly we all know this is probably true.

quote:

well. actually

Back around 2006 there was a TFR meet up where someone brought a copy of that. We took turns reading from it, passing it when we couldn't make coherent words fbecause of laughing.

It is magnificently terrible.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i make sure to keep to the 21 foot rule when i carry around my matchlock musket

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Am I crazy, or is that blade photoshopped in, while the hilt seems real?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jack2142 posted:

Its okay if I remember HALO right you can just pistol whip people to death.

Well then by that logic the guy with the sword will teleport 15 feet and kill you instantly.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

Am I crazy, or is that blade photoshopped in, while the hilt seems real?

I think it looks photoshopped because the blade is reflecting the white snow, which makes it look like it has uniform lighting.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Japanese smith actually forgets about the contest until the last day and just grabs an oar, but still finishes third.

:golfclap:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

chitoryu12 posted:

Removing the missiles from Turkey was just a ruse. The actual trade was for Sokolov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4

actually, the removal of the turkish missiles was cover for an off-the-books part of the kgb to make contact with the djinni colony on mount ararat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Lone Badger posted:

Can't he take a historical example, laser-scan it, and duplicate the shape to the nearest hundredth-millimetre? The shape wouldn't take advantage of the modern steel's properties as well as it could have, but it would still be OK.

You could but you'd miss out on stuff like the balance of the blade and so forth especially since you're using a different steel. Basically, stuff that you'd mostly need to field test which as mentioned before isn't all that common nowadays.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Surely the different steels aren't going to have different enough densities to throw things off? They're all mostly-iron.
The other part of balancing a sword is the furniture, and that's not actually the swordsmith's job.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I think the modern metallurgist should be generally unfamiliar with what makes a good bladed weapon besides steel quality to make things fair. Because this is quite serious.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Polyakov posted:

Saurkraut was certainly employed, and it has a fairly high vitamin C content at 15mg/100g, as compared to 30mg/100g for limes and 60mg/100g for lemons (not sure on juice but i think its very close to that value). Im not really sure why the RN didnt issue it, they tested it with Captain Cook in the early 1700's and found out that it worked. I would guess that it was because Lind and his successors didnt really study it for whatever reason and so as a result it didnt get brought to the attention of the RN leadership at the time that the decisions were being made.

I think the real reason is that in the early 1700's the ships were able to go into port ,or a safe harbor, every few weeks to resupply and scrape the hull. The British Empire was just Newfoundland island, the coastal strip of North America, Jamaica and some scattered Caribbean islands, and some slaving forts on the gold coast. The east India company consisted of a few outposts under the protection of local rulers.

What happens is that by the 1760's they've coppered the hulls of the fleet , so they only need to put in briefly a few times a year to take on water and provisions. The Empire has become a great power as a result of the seven years war, and the east India company has lucked out at the battle of Plassey and conquered Bengal. By the 1770's the crews are routinely making long voyages, and they start going three or four years without ever getting a chance to leave the ship. Sometimes they just get imprisoned at the end of the commission and transferred to a new ship.

Also, after the seven years war the Navy starts to become a serious career option, so by the 1770's if you're not middle / upper class you've got no hope of career advancement ,and now you're being treated worse by the new officer class. Throughout the 1780's there's some high profile mutinies and discipline and quality of life gets even worse as a result of that. Plus the pay rates were set in the 1650's and never adjusted for inflation, and there's a rising class consciousness as a result of the American and French revolutions and the impressment of American sailors into the navy - so in 1797 it all comes to a head and the fleet mutinies and blockades London.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

I think the modern metallurgist should be generally unfamiliar with what makes a good bladed weapon besides steel quality to make things fair. Because this is quite serious.

The modern metallurgist is familiar with the theory and practice of producing various different steels with different qualities. Basically if someone asks, "I want a sword with these qualities", he can do that. None of the others have this capability.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

OwlFancier posted:

You would think ergonomics would also be important for any tool, though.

The HEMA class i used to go to kept one bad practice sword around for reasons and I occasionally ended up using that. Structurally sound and all that so you could practice with it, but the ergonomics of it were awful since it was really heavy and badly balanced. You could do all the sword poo poo with it but I at least ended up getting sore arms from waving it around for an hour.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BattleMoose posted:

The modern metallurgist is familiar with the theory and practice of producing various different steels with different qualities. Basically if someone asks, "I want a sword with these qualities", he can do that. None of the others have this capability.

But he needs someone to tell him what those properties are.
Swordsmiths throughout history have searched for the answer to the riddle of steel. The modern engineer has all the answers, but he doesn't know the question.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Those assholes have a bajillion katanas and all sorts of weird poo poo, but no repro heavy cavalry sword that Sharpe used? Shaaame!

EDIT: Reviews of boar spears by guys who actually use them to hunt boars. Americans are crazy, why try to spear a boar when you can shoot it with a gun?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 25, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JcDent posted:

EDIT: Reviews of boar spears by guys who actually use them to hunt boars. Americans are crazy, why try to spear a boar when you can shoot it with a gun?

because its cool

also most American "boars" are really feral pigs, which are still dangerous but I think they're generally a lot smaller. We have actual boars too though because rich assholes imported them from Europe to hunt in the 1900s and they escaped.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

because its cool

also most American "boars" are really feral pigs, which are still dangerous but I think they're generally a lot smaller. We have actual boars too though because rich assholes imported them from Europe to hunt in the 1900s and they escaped.

Shooting a feral pig with explosive rounds from an anti-materiel rifle from a kilometer away is also cool, you know.

Or just use auto-aim.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You definitely can get near perfect replicas of historical swords if you've got the money. I've seen people cut with some of them and they are very good at their jobs.

There's no doubt still some unknown unknown subtleties out there but by and large the main ideas behind various taper and edge geometries have been figured out and a talented modern smith can make a drat good sword.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

JcDent posted:

Those assholes have a bajillion katanas and all sorts of weird poo poo, but no repro heavy cavalry sword that Sharpe used? Shaaame!

I've actually looked around and you can get replicas of those sword at least for display. I did briefly consider it at one point just for something neat to hang on the wall.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A long rod penetrator is isomorphic to a sword.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ensign Expendable posted:

A long rod penetrator is isomorphic to a sword.

If you could display a part of a tank in your home, what would you pick?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Probably a periscope or a track link. Something small and self contained.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where would a $20 stamped-metal machete place in the rankings?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

The Lone Badger posted:

Or better yet, where would fifty machetes be ranked?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Where would Machete on DVD be ranked?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Depends on what you think about Rwanda!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ensign Expendable posted:

Where would Machete on DVD be ranked?

It would face some stiff competition from Crank 2 on ridiculous action movies rankings

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd set a Panther in concrete to act as a bunker in front of my house to deter solicitors.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Secretly we all know this is probably true.

Back around 2006 there was a TFR meet up where someone brought a copy of that. We took turns reading from it, passing it when we couldn't make coherent words fbecause of laughing.

It is magnificently terrible.

If you're putting down Ringo could you please please please do this book in TFR

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you're putting down Ringo could you please please please do this book in TFR

Ringo has been on hold for quite some time now.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

JcDent posted:

Tune in next when we decide Miss Universe by paying a hooker to sleep with us, win the "WW2's best bolt action rifle contest" by paying a hooker to sleep with us and conquer the world's cutest kitten contest by paying a hooker to sleep with us.

Fixed this for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would mount the tank turret on a medieval turret.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OwlFancier posted:

I would mount the tank turret on a medieval turret.

Mounted, of course, on a battleship citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JcDent posted:

Ringo has been on hold for quite some time now.

I miss that thread. :smith: