Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego actually loved peter's mom so his demigod genes passed to peter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hobo Clown posted:

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but what made Peter special? All of Ego's kids couldn't hack it and died, but Peter was the exception. Something special about Earth?

Ego might have just been kind of an idiot, because he doesn't even seem to understand how his powers actually work. He assumed it was something about celestial genes, but he assumes it would take thousands of years for Peter to get as good with them as he does at the end of the movie, because he doesn't realize they're controlled with love. Plus Xandar figured out Peter's unusual genetic makeup at the end of the last movie, but Ego somehow has no equivalent to that. Peter got picked up right after his mom died of cancer and didn't get over grieving until the end of the last movie, so maybe that's not the right emotional state for it, especially if they aren't being taught properly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego knew he had ego genes, he just wasn't sure if peter could connect to the light of the planet.

(He heard someone held an infinity stone w/o blowing up and came looking right away).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All of Ego's alien kids had his genes. Peter is just the only one, yet discovered, who had the recessive gene that lets him manipulate Celestial energy. It's also quite possible that there is more than one way to manipulate Celestial energy, perhaps even having to do with Peter not being a full Celestial, that meant that Peter and Ego used different methods of matter manipulation. Or maybe Peter could figure it out in a few hours since Ego did the hard lifting of teaching himself how to do it and then taught Peter. Like how you learn calculus in a semester but good luck trying to invent it in a semester with no prior knowledge of it.

Or you know, maybe that's the power of love.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Could the Infinity Stone have anything to do with it? Being Ego's kid meant Peter didn't get fried when he touched it, and at the same time made him more powerful than his celestial half-siblings?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

T

Hobo Clown posted:

Could the Infinity Stone have anything to do with it? Being Ego's kid meant Peter didn't get fried when he touched it, and at the same time made him more powerful than his celestial half-siblings?

Since the next scene had them playing catch I'm going with the power of love.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

euphronius posted:

T

Since the next scene had them playing catch I'm going with the power of love.

Huey Lewis and the News confirmed for Quill's Zune.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Dave posted:

I think many people, myself included, believe that his love for Peter's mom was real, which is why Peter had 'the stuff'.

This seems to be stretching the word 'love' past its breaking point. Like, yes, he's a space god, but he's also a fictional character who's meant to be analogous to real everyday people you might know in a movie ostensibly about people. Real hosed-up narcissists torment and kill their families all the time, what they don't do is sit down and coldbloodedly calculate "I love this woman, authentically and truly, maybe even more than myself; I must destroy her so my grand master scheme is never tainted by the human emotion of Love". And then tell people about it. That's some Skeletor poo poo, that's the world-conquering supervillain spending his afternoon stealing lollipops from babies because it makes him more Evil. There were plenty of ways to package the same basic events if the movie wanted Ego's "love" to ring somewhat true (I liked the suggestion of the poster who said he could've seen the cancer coming and just cut and run rather than deal with it, say), but as presented it's pretty clearly more of Ego's bullshit and he's a Fake Dad ruthlessly trying to emotionally manipulate Quill just like he did all those women, and failing because his ability to comprehend love extends only just far enough to sweet-talk his way into a girl's pants with a few cliches.

Peter has The Stuff because he's the protagonist, the film is about him and not any of those thousand other kids, and it's a movie that cheerfully acknowledges running on narrative convenience.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 24, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What makes you think it was coldbloodedly calculated? He could have done it in a panic once he realized his plans were in jeopardy. That's the thing about Ego; he's a living planet that exists on a timeframe we can't really comprehend. A decade-spanning tumour could be the equivalent of lashing out in a blind rage for him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phylodox posted:

What makes you think it was coldbloodedly calculated? He could have done it in a panic once he realized his plans were in jeopardy. That's the thing about Ego; he's a living planet that exists on a timeframe we can't really comprehend. A decade-spanning tumour could be the equivalent of lashing out in a blind rage for him.

we see him lash out in rage in the movie every time he's on screen after being shot

turns out it looks like a human's rage, just with superpowers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Because it's presented as part of his plan that he reasoned through? Because he's a superhero stand-in for an actual deadbeat dad come back to mooch off the kid, not some totally ineffable cosmic force outside of human reasoning, and he committed to the decision for the decade it took to kill her and clearly hasn't regretted since? He doesn't take decades to make up his mind or have momentary emotional responses in the movie, and Ego doesn't actually exist outside the movie.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 24, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sylvester Stallone walks on screen during the grand plan reveal and tells the audience "actually Ego was a loving father who just has a hard time managing his work-life balance"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Peter's dad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI4Mv8R0mE0

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Because it's presented as part of his plan that he reasoned through? Because he's a superhero stand-in for an actual deadbeat dad come back to mooch off the kid, not some totally ineffable cosmic force outside of human reasoning, and he committed to the decision for the decade it took to kill her and clearly hasn't regretted since? He doesn't take decades to make up his mind or have momentary emotional responses in the movie, and Ego doesn't actually exist outside the movie.

We don't know that he "reasoned through" killing Peter's mom, though. Just that he killed her. Does he even express regret? As far as I remember, he said it was "the hardest thing he's ever done". Maybe he laments the necessity of it, but at no point does he say he wished he hadn't done it. It doesn't mean he didn't love her, in his own way. And, yeah, he's an analogue for every 80s kid's ideal dad who turns out to be a shitheel, but that doesn't preclude love at all, either. Quite the opposite. The worst thing about Ego is that he can feel selfless love, but chooses to kill the subject of that love rather than change.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also uses his son as a battery to take over the universe with blue blob.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the worst thing about Peter's dog is that it's hairless, can't play fetch, flies through space, is made of metal, and he lives in it, but it's a dog authentic and true. I just don't understand why they asked Rocket to do surgery on it when it got sick, he's no veterinarian.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm sure what I'm gonna say has been said, but:

the characters all felt unique personality-wise (as opposed to interchangeable quipsters like the avengers). that said the script really needed a once over to sharpen the back-and-forth dialogue. there was way too much Adam-McKay-style calling-attention-to-the-joke-as-a-form-of-humor repartee. rocket was particularly guilty of this I felt. it was excusable with drax because he's drax

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Yeah, he's a shitheel. Nobody's denying that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

euphronius posted:

It's important to note that he originally didn't want to, but had to when Peter rejected his idea, because he's going through with his plan. If Peter was complacent with everything they could have been bros.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right. He only loved peter when peter fit in to his selfish world view.

This happens in families and the real world all the time. It's very sad. They did a good job in the movie interjecting some real feels into a space musical.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the worst thing about Peter's dog is that it's hairless, can't play fetch, flies through space, is made of metal, and he lives in it, but it's a dog authentic and true. I just don't understand why they asked Rocket to do surgery on it when it got sick, he's no veterinarian.

Hey, this is not the Alien: Covenant thread!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Cosmo is in Guardians 3.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ego was true to his namesake. His "plan" was rushed and the glaring faults were invisible to him. Rushed on a celestial scale could still mean millions of years.
He was an emotionally reactive scumbag. I believe he did love Peter's mom but did not have the emotional capacity/maturity to accept it.
No, Ego's plan was more important because it came first.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
The justifications some of y'all are able to spin are just mind boggling to me. Prequel defender type poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

GoldfishStew posted:

The justifications some of y'all are able to spin are just mind boggling to me. Prequel defender type poo poo.

Your seething rage at this benign, brightly colored comic movie is equally bizarre.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Not once in the entire movie did Ego feel powerful or dangerous or make me truly worry for the safety of the heroes. Gunn finally made a marvel movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is on you.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

Not once in the entire movie did Ego feel powerful or dangerous or make me truly worry for the safety of the heroes. Gunn finally made a marvel movie.

Uhh welcome to every blockbuster in the history of ever?? The movie was visually striking and lots of fun, if you expected anything more that's kinda your problem. I mean the number of blockbusters that have a truly terrifying villain can be counted on one hand.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Heroes winning is a foregone conclusion in most media, it really is about the spectacle along the way.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

GoldfishStew posted:

Did you miss the cavern of corpses, planet blobs killing people and every protagonist, save one, almost dying?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That doesn't make you feel like any of the guardians are at risk of dying.

Like others have said though that's status quo for a blockbuster franchise and I certainly don't expect any of the Justice League to die. Hell they aren't going to be able to make it a full movie without Superman coming back to life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ego also annihilates the upper class snobs armada .

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

Did you miss the cavern of corpses, planet blobs killing people and every protagonist, save one, almost dying?

None of that was very impressive. The planet blobs for example were a very lame visual.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Dave posted:

That doesn't make you feel like any of the guardians are at risk of dying.

What should he have done? Pulled a knife?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One guardian does die in the movie so....

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thank you for leaving out the second sentence of my post which basically says that's just how it is with blockbusters. Ego specifically just doesn't do much threatening stuff and when he does it's kind of mindless CG stuff.
The only villain that will feel like a legitimate threat to the heroes will be Thanos, because everything he does can be reversed..

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they follow the comic book story yeah. Which looks likely .

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GoldfishStew posted:

As opposed to the first film where the entire cast was viciously murdered to the sound of 80s pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah that's definitely what I was saying.

The villain from the original ghostbusters is a good example of someone who felt powerful. Even the villain from the first guardians felt more dangerous than Ego.

The entire movie I felt a lot like the characters once they all got to egos planet. Just waiting for something to happen. Whole movie I just spent waiting.

I can't get over how wasted mantis was. Even her creator spoke up about this. Only there to highlight a mans feelings. Sad.

• Locked thread