Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Good to see some old faces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think pretty much every giant who's been in the story so far was acknowledged here?? nice work gOda

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I wanna try some Semla too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gyges posted:

Actually, while everyone has terrible childhoods in One Piece, the most horrible people probably have "awesome" childhoods.

Oh hey.
Look who guessed it right.
Big moms just a greedy poo poo child with giant strength

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is a pretty tragic backstory, for sure, but mainly it's just confirming that Big Mom is basically an overgrown child who needs an rear end-kicking.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KittenofDoom posted:

I wanna try some Semla too.

:same:

https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/the-semla-more-than-just-a-bun/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Semla is alright

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
most of the fanart they put before/after the chapter are bad, but this one is good, and almost nails the art style

dunno why everyone's got the "mortified fury" look on'em tho

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
does this blow the 'mother caramel is weevils mom' theories out of the water since mother is the most saintly character thus far in one piece

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Captain Invictus posted:

Brook has no face on him :yohoho:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

most of the fanart they put before/after the chapter are bad, but this one is good, and almost nails the art style

I'm really glad you posted this, because the image was corrupting on my phone and I couldn't see Chopper on there at all.

Also, Big Mom is definitely going to kill Mother Caramel, who will forgive her with her dying breath.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm really glad you posted this, because the image was corrupting on my phone and I couldn't see Chopper on there at all.

Also, Big Mom is definitely going to kill Mother Caramel, who will forgive her with her dying breath.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. The last page makes it seem more like Caramel is going to take the sword blow trying to protect her but your idea's way cooler.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gyges posted:

Actually, while everyone has terrible childhoods in One Piece, the most horrible people probably have "awesome" childhoods.

Waiting for some Celestial Dragon to queue up the flashback to their childhood and instead of it being tragic, it's just an entire childhood of MTV's My Super Sweet 16 parties.

Stelly looks like he's going to a top shelf shitbag and he had a pretty gravy life in Goa.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Well this explains where Big Mom's obsession with building a multi-racial family comes from. Also probably explains why she was so pissed about Lola bailing the wedding with Loki, because it might've been her only chance for redemption with the giants.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Giant kills Caramel. Linlin about to kill giants but Caramel, with her dying breath, tells her to carry on her work by building a place where all types of creatures can live together. She creates Totland to that end, but is crazy so it's an insane hell place.

Also Linlin definitely has Prader-Willy Syndrome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't expect Oda to put forth an argument that sometimes you just gotta kill a 5 year old.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Didn't expect Oda to put forth an argument that sometimes you just gotta kill a 5 year old.

Robin wasn't far off that in Ohara.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Judging from the whole Vinsmoke alliance thing and this flashback there's probably a chance she wanted an alliance with the giants just to betray them

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Giant kills Caramel. Linlin about to kill giants but Caramel, with her dying breath, tells her to carry on her work by building a place where all types of creatures can live together. She creates Totland to that end, but is crazy so it's an insane hell place.

Also Linlin definitely has Prader-Willy Syndrome.
The opening to this flashback in the previous chapter begins with "Mother, where did you disappear to all of a sudden?" which makes me think Big Mom is gonna kill Caramel in her food rage and not realize what she's done once she returns to normal

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
So... Cavendish and Linlin both have alternate, murderous personalities which take control from time to time. Interesting.

This really is a tragic backstory. It's the story of a girl with a mental disorder who never got help dealing with it, and ended up becoming a monster.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Cat Machine posted:

I think pretty much every giant who's been in the story so far was acknowledged here?? nice work gOda

Well there was that giant we saw as a slave in the Sabaody arc unless he was Loki all along.....

Oda does it again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jassa posted:

So... Cavendish and Linlin both have alternate, murderous personalities which take control from time to time. Interesting.

This really is a tragic backstory. It's the story of a girl with a mental disorder who never got help dealing with it, and ended up becoming a monster.

In her case, it's not really an alternate personality as it is just pure blind and berserk rage. No personality or identity, just pure instinct.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it just me or is little Linlin just cute as a button? :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So is Caramel's character design officially based on Jessica Lange? Because they look drat near identical.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

IceBorg posted:

Well there was that giant we saw as a slave in the Sabaody arc unless he was Loki all along.....

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Who dat

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

the giant slave in sabaody

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Someone do an effort post with all the giants we've seen and those in this chapter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it just me or is little Linlin just cute as a button? :3:

Baby Linlin is adorable and it's really kinda sad that most of the trouble she's caused so far is by being a super strong hyperactive five year old who just tried to help people, like the longarm kid and the wolf.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's now making sense why she treated Brook like a pet and cried when she thought he had died; she is basically still an overgrown child.

She still needs an rear end-kicking though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Last Celebration posted:

Baby Linlin is adorable and it's really kinda sad that most of the trouble she's caused so far is by being a super strong hyperactive five year old who just tried to help people, like the longarm kid and the wolf.

I'm not entirely sure trying to tear off someones arm counts as helping though. Has anyone ever tried to tell this shithead kid to not hurt people?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

I'm not entirely sure trying to tear off someones arm counts as helping though. Has anyone ever tried to tell this shithead kid to not hurt people?

She obviously didn't understand she was hurting people

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know, I'd think that if she does kill Mother Caramel, it must be without realizing it, since you'd think she'd have learned a lesson otherwise about how he strength and temper can hurt those she values. I'd assume Mother Caramel will die feeding her a single Semla personally, though it's not like those are mutually exclusive.

Brandfarlig posted:

She never learned pain, fear or consequence as a child so it's kind of hard to blame her for not empathizing with why doing those things would be bad to other people. Any situation that a child would normally learn a lesson from and start to mature because of her abnormal strength and constitution allowed her to ignore so that she never had cause or reason to grow up and could never really be taught those lessons, at least in the traditional manner. It's quite tragic, but maybe once Luffy does punch her she'll start her long delayed process of growing up.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lpzie posted:

Someone do an effort post with all the giants we've seen and those in this chapter.
- Dorry and Broggy are mentioned throughout
- Harjudin is the kid doing training
- The slave giant who promises to repay the Strawhats is the fat kid watching him
- The two Enies Lobby giants are the ones discussing whether Dorry and Broggy have been away for too long and say they'll go check things out in 10 years (which is how they end up on Enies Lobby)

tsob posted:

I don't know, I'd think that if she does kill Mother Caramel, it must be without realizing it, since you'd think she'd have learned a lesson otherwise about how he strength and temper can hurt those she values..
This would work pretty well since one of the recurring plot points in this arc has been BM's subordinates continually loving up out of fear of her temper

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 25, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really like the beard bros

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
they have big beards

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

anime was right posted:

they have big beards

"I like big beards and I can not lie
You other sistas can't deny
That when a guy walks in with a hairy chin
And a long thing on his face
You get sprung, want to feel that rough
'Cause you notice that beard was fluffed"

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Cat Machine posted:

- Dorry and Broggy are mentioned throughout
- Harjudin is the kid doing training
- The slave giant who promises to repay the Strawhats is the fat kid watching him
- The two Enies Lobby giants are the ones discussing whether Dorry and Broggy have been away for too long and say they'll go check things out in 10 years (which is how they end up on Enies Lobby)
This would work pretty well since one of the recurring plot points in this arc has been BM's subordinates continually loving up out of fear of her temper

What about San Juan Wolf? Oars Jr too I suppose?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

anime was right posted:

they have big beards

This is BIG BEARDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think they showed all the giants thus-far seen. There are a lot of giants seen in Marineford. Not many named, though, outside V.A. John Giant and Oars Jr.

Also Jaguar D. Saul and Bastille