Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Boy haunted mine sure sucks rear end as Dehaka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
dont play with tcshimo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Boy haunted mine sure sucks rear end as Dehaka

Alternatively, Haunted Mines rules as Murky

You all just... go have fun with your little toys down in the mines. I'll be up here destroying every fort and keep and taking every camp.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Toshimo posted:

UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED MORE DUDES, ONLY BUY DUDES ON SALE. 50% OFF MAKES YOUR GEMS GO A LOT FURTHER.

This is the best advice. I started about a month ago, haven't bought any crystals. Just using the ones you get for free, I've picked up Zagara, Murky, Samuro, and some other hero I forget. When I hit my next 25 lvl milestone I'll be able to buy another hero "on sale" for the week.

Macaluso posted:

Alternatively, Haunted Mines rules as Murky

You all just... go have fun with your little toys down in the mines. I'll be up here destroying every fort and keep and taking every camp.

I had fun in the same fashion as Nazeebo. When the entire enemy team is in the mines, you can drop 5 spiders + zombie circle on a fort and it loving melts

you also get to build up lots of voodoo stacks with no hassle

he is also really good at killing the enemy skellington golem

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 25, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

That is basically why I think Haunted Mines sucks so badly. I am not against well-used split pushing by any means, but on that map it is often more powerful to split push than to do the objective, to a crappy extreme. The sapper camps double down on that, and I straight up think they need to be removed from the map.

Mines, even after being rebuilt, is a neat idea with a lovely, lovely execution.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loving ten minutes to reconnect to a match when my internet cuts out for a second. Eat my rear end blizzard you incompetent fucks. Holy poo poo even if it was QM I'd be pissed as hell

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

loving ten minutes to reconnect to a match when my internet cuts out for a second. Eat my rear end blizzard you incompetent fucks. Holy poo poo even if it was QM I'd be pissed as hell

had the same thing happen to me the other day, don't worry while you're reconnecting the bot's AI will occasionally bow out to leave your dude completely idle At least that's what my friends in voicechat were informing me.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

NeurosisHead posted:

My experience has been that when you say that, the guy who has played literally 4k games almost entirely as assassins, mostly as Nova, will tell you that you shouldn't play HL if you aren't excellent at every class. He will also refuse to play anything but a stealth assassin, and end the game with a dozen deaths.

Just once I'd like to see someone say "hey guys, I'm pretty bad at assassin". Somehow it's always the daunting task off supporting that no one can seem to get the hang of.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Gustav posted:

Just once I'd like to see someone say "hey guys, I'm pretty bad at assassin". Somehow it's always the daunting task off supporting that no one can seem to get the hang of.

Which is funny because depending on the hero being a decent support is one of the easiest things to get the hang of in the game. I'd rate the roles like this in terms of difficulty: tank > melee assassin/bruiser > ranged assassin > support.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest problem with playing a support is that they usually can't solo merc camps, which is what 99% of randoms love doing all game long.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gustav posted:

That would be pretty amusing to see.

I personally feel I'm terrible at tanking, but when I do play a draft mode I make sure I go into it fully willing to play the roles that it might come down to.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Gustav posted:

I'm bad at assassins, tanks and supports - basically, anything that goes beyond killing immobile structures and scripted minions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tried free Murky on a whim, then actually got him from his levelup chest... and he's actually kind of fun and I won all games so far. ...is he actually secretly good?

Also some guy bitched at me for focusing on pushing rather than teamfights, was I wrong? Thought that's how you are supposed to play him.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Avalerion posted:

Tried free Murky on a whim, then actually got him from his levelup chest... and he's actually kind of fun and I won all games so far. ...is he actually secretly good?

Also some guy bitched at me for focusing on pushing rather than teamfights, was I wrong? Thought that's how you are supposed to play him.

Murky's very strong.

Whether you should have been pushing or with the team is situational. Murky's a bit weird in that his teamfighting early on is really, really bad. Once you get some talents, especially his ult, he becomes a lot stronger, and eventually he's able to contribute almost as much as a regular hero...except killing him doesn't do much.

In general it's probably ok to ignore the first objective if you think you can get an xp advantage out of it. On a map like Cursed Hollow where the first objective does absolutely nothing until a team gets 2 more, yeah, it's often a good idea to just push. Tell you're team what you're doing though. Overall though you should try to stick with your team as the game goes on--that's true of pretty much every hero in the game. Splitpushing is only kinda sorta a thing--you can pull it off in certain spots but you should pretty much never spend the whole game grinding down a lane.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i opened a lumberjack uther skin and was kind of sad because i didnt have uther and then the next box i opened had uther. pretty cool.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

Bogart posted:

dont play with tcshimo

Toshimo? Agreed. He'll bitch about how bad everyone is the whole match.

Basically:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I play frequently with goons and I've honestly seen pretty decent coordination with minimal griping, and I win most of my games with these goons. I don't mind skill level disparities and generally will try to explain what they should be watching for and be ready to react to. It's all around a pretty positive experience.

Minrad and I played with you once, though, and you spent the entire match whining that we weren't doing exactly what you thought needed to be done, right away!

Perhaps the problem is ... hmm, I don't know, :iiam:

FatalT fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 25, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What kind of character is the best for getting yourself up in HL when every group you're in doesn't communicate and makes terrible teamfight engages and you can only rely on yourself

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FatalT posted:

Toshimo? Agreed. He'll bitch about how bad everyone is the whole match.

Yah, now you're just making poo poo up.

I do tell people that they need to respond to pings, not overextend, show up to objectives in a timely fashion, not merc when our lanes are pushed in, and to get back to lane to soak xp, but that's really helpful stuff if you aren't doing it because that's how you play the game.

If that's making you feel bad, the problem isn't with me, it's TicTacToe.jpg.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

signalnoise posted:

What kind of character is the best for getting yourself up in HL when every group you're in doesn't communicate and makes terrible teamfight engages and you can only rely on yourself

A character from another game like DOTA (not a joke answer)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Poultron posted:

A character from another game like DOTA (not a joke answer)

But... I highly dislike other mobas.,, :negative:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
First time playing Alarak in a while and holy crap they have changed things around. I'm so lost.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Nash posted:

First time playing Alarak in a while and holy crap they have changed things around. I'm so lost.

You're going through the stages of Alarak rework.

Stage 1: Bewilderment
Stage 2: Tentative enjoyment
Stage 3: Maniacal laughter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

signalnoise posted:

I think Jo is generally a solid pick for HL because she can dive in and still survive even if your team are a bunch of noncommital shitlords.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

signalnoise posted:

Someone with 2 CC abilities, or a lane bully/pusher who can just be an island while your team fucks up.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

signalnoise posted:

But... I highly dislike other mobas.,, :negative:

Carrying is nearly impossible in this game, for better or worse. Best thing you can do is play someone with high-impact abilities like Anub but even then you still do need your team to kind of follow up on what you're doing. You can't snowball on your own unless you're like, impossibly good compared to the enemy, which won't last forever even if you are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Li-Ming is one example of a hero who can definitely snowball in a teamfight because of her trait, but it's almost impossible to outlevel the enemy team to the point where you're nigh invincible for the rest of a game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

exquisite tea posted:

Li-Ming is one example of a hero who can definitely snowball in a teamfight because of her trait, but it's almost impossible to outlevel the enemy team to the point where you're nigh invincible for the rest of a game.

Li-Ming is great if you show up late to a fight and everyone is low. In a sustained fight where your team is gunshy or behind (QM), she burns mana too quick to be able to capitalize in my experience.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

ETC. If your team decides to be stupid in an engage, powerslide in and either disengage or moshpit to at least make it not as horrible (possibly even win)

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I wish Illidan was still king of the mountain, I had so much fun 1v3ing people and using the Hunt. Now I have to be careful and actually make team comps. Ppsspfft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

I do tell people that they need to respond to pings, not overextend, show up to objectives in a timely fashion, not merc when our lanes are pushed in, and to get back to lane to soak xp, but that's really helpful stuff if you aren't doing it because that's how you play the game.

My man, when people independently confirm an interpretation of your behavior, accusing them of making poo poo up seems paranoid.

It's offputting when someone of average skill and game knowledge is screaming at people and spam pinging them and stopping to type "You needed to be at the objective ten seconds ago right now!!" Characterizing that behavior as you trying to play the game properly and them scrawling doodles all over the Tic Tac Toe board is seriously :lol:

Chill out a little and you'll enjoy your matches way more.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

So no Hots chillthread huh?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
there is no such thing as a moba chillthread

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Toshimo posted:

Anecdotal, but the other night you pinged the poo poo out of me and repeatedly typed in char for me to use a nuke as a 25% health Zagara, and then when I healed up and went in to use it, you stood back and watched me die. So... yep.

Also, get a mic dude. When 4 of us are talking to each other and you're typing, you're gonna get ignored.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Spudd posted:

I wish Illidan was still king of the mountain, I had so much fun 1v3ing people and using the Hunt. Now I have to be careful and actually make team comps. Ppsspfft.

I feel like the buff to unending hatred did him a lot of good actually. Being able to get the 40 damage spike pre-level 10 vs. past level 15 (if at all) feels really good from both a damage and sustain standpoint. He's not old illidan, but it's a step

I'll still take the hunt almost 100% of the time. I can't let go of the map pressure it provides.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Relentless posted:

Anecdotal, but the other night you pinged the poo poo out of me and repeatedly typed in char for me to use a nuke as a 25% health Zagara, and then when I healed up and went in to use it, you stood back and watched me die. So... yep.

The game occurs in real time. If I was doing that, I probably had eyes on the other team and knew we had an opportunity. Instead, you missed your opening, waited for a minion wave and fresh heroes to show up and botched it.

So, yeah, the lesson here was probably to respond to pings and directions instead of blinding flailing around.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lol gently caress you buddy

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest problem with playing a support is that they usually can't solo merc camps, which is what 99% of randoms love doing all game long.

They should just play Rehgar, if you just play him like a melee bruiser and use all your abilities on cooldown you will be actually doing well as a support while playing a melee bruiser.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like we're just a few posts away from "fight me 1v1 mid" right now

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Hello, my name is Belzac and I'm an aggressive pinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Belzac posted:

Hello, my name is Belzac and I'm an aggressive pinger.

:same: