Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Loopoo posted:

I hate how bad bandages are at healing you. Medkits are the only thing that are worth it, and painkillers / redbull is great for heal over time and to hit your max hp. Bandages? I rarely use them, they're utter poo poo. 4 seconds to heal 5% hp. Nah.

If there was an option to right click > consume all on bandages, I'd be more willing to use them. But sitting in my loving inventory for 5 minutes spam clicking use on them ain't my idea of fun and intuitive.

In your inventory? Why would you not be using the number keys to use consumables? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

jizzy sillage posted:

Oceania is pretty baller, I just open my inventory and right click all the poo poo I want and run off.

Yeah, I've only just recently started but my Oceania experience has been pretty great.

As an aside I think the idea of systems benefitting campers is overblown. The best rounds you see from streamers are aggressive, they get more kills, they have the initiative, and they also get a whole lot more practice at breaching camper positions and avoiding getting caught out in a bad position in the open.

You might sneak some wins camping but you ain't dining on chicken dinner when the genuinely good players get to top ten. It might be irritating to die to campers but the tools are there to dig them out.

edit: speaking of unintuitive interfaces though, how the hell do you fill up a car with a gas can? I tried hitting use in the inventory screen which didn't seem to work, and I couldn't find any hotkeys for it.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 25, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

In your inventory? Why would you not be using the number keys to use consumables? :psyduck:

Never mind the fact that spamming bandages heals you less. Gotta wait for the third of the five ticks to pass so as not to have them overlap. Then, they also actually heal more than 5%... :aaaaa:

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 25, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Parallel Playa posted:

Never mind the fact that spamming bandages heals you less. Gotta wait for the third of the five ticks to pass so as not to have them overlap.

Sometimes I just spam bandages to get up to 75 as quick as possible just to clear up a bit more space in my bag

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/867639180540624897

Unmarked in the patch notes but on the subreddit: Shadows cannot be turned off (without setting your game to -sm4) anymore.

Test server is a giant improvement to FPS so that might be why they're forcing shadows on.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 25, 2017

LE
Oct 19, 2002

So this happened...

https://streamable.com/f8qdj

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone else become suicidal and try and die ASAP when their teammates go down? Only time I'll keep on fighting is when there's less than 20 people alive or so. If we're sitting at above 40 alive, I won't think twice and will banzai into the nearest group of enemies to kill them. I feel like having three of my mates spectate me for 20 minutes as I slowly finish the round is no fun for them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Test server being up the day before patch day really isn't enough time to iron out any last minute bugs.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/867639180540624897

Unmarked in the patch notes but on the subreddit: Shadows cannot be turned off (without setting your game to -sm4) anymore.

Test server is a giant improvement to FPS so that might be why they're forcing shadows on.

The fact that it caused a delay in looting players due to cycling the animation was absolutely lovely and I'm glad they are going to take more time to figure out what to do. The current implementation made it pretty much impossible to quickly loot a dude in a hectic environment where you kill a guy and need some more ammo to kill the other joker's that are coming your way.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/867701441716142081

Well, that was a quick about-face.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SpaceBanditos posted:

The fact that it caused a delay in looting players due to cycling the animation was absolutely lovely and I'm glad they are going to take more time to figure out what to do. The current implementation made it pretty much impossible to quickly loot a dude in a hectic environment where you kill a guy and need some more ammo to kill the other joker's that are coming your way.

There should always be risk in looting bodies.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

VulgarandStupid posted:

There should always be risk in looting bodies.

yeah but it should be commensurate with the effort involved; it's super awkward to walk over to a pile of things and pick something up. imagine picking up a box with your actual hands, it would take less than a second to actually do.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TacMan posted:

yeah but it should be commensurate with the effort involved; it's super awkward to walk over to a pile of things and pick something up. imagine picking up a box with your actual hands, it would take less than a second to actually do.

All I can think now is picking up the dead guy's crate and skedaddling like a maniac to a safer place to loot it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
lol don't play the realism card, the box is an abstraction for a corpse you have to manually pull gear off of. It sort of makes sense for you to have to search for the gear you want and grab it out.

Honestly bugs notwithstanding, having to stand over and quickly do the inventory dance makes sense. Under pressure you should feel rushed and make mistakes or whatever. You're searching a body, not grabbing a loose bit of gear, aside from the weapon itself.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why is a corpse portrayed as a crate? Why not just keep dead bodies around and have us loot them directly? It would be so much better. Seeing a bunch of loving crates everywhere and witnessing someone's body instantaneously decompose into a wooden box is just strange.

"Sick, I just obliterated that guy, let me go loot the embodiment of his soul that's in the form of a wooden loving crate"

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Loopoo posted:

Anyone else become suicidal and try and die ASAP when their teammates go down? Only time I'll keep on fighting is when there's less than 20 people alive or so. If we're sitting at above 40 alive, I won't think twice and will banzai into the nearest group of enemies to kill them. I feel like having three of my mates spectate me for 20 minutes as I slowly finish the round is no fun for them.

gently caress no, I fight harder if/when my teammate gets killed as I yell about how I will meet them at the gates of Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 25, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SpaceBanditos posted:

I don't know why they don't just pick a game flow for looting and stick with it. Do the same loving thing for pressing F vs right clicking vs clicking and dragging. They've made the whole thing so complicated and dumb that it's become its own meta.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

Why is a corpse portrayed as a crate? Why not just keep dead bodies around and have us loot them directly? It would be so much better. Seeing a bunch of loving crates everywhere and witnessing someone's body instantaneously decompose into a wooden box is just strange.

"Sick, I just obliterated that guy, let me go loot the embodiment of his soul that's in the form of a wooden loving crate"

They need to despawn the corpse after a while is the thing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know why they don't just pick a game flow for looting and stick with it. Do the same loving thing for pressing F vs right clicking vs clicking and dragging. They've made the whole thing so complicated and dumb that it's become its own meta.

That's what they intended to do with this patch, but it wasn't working properly so they've removed it for now. I guess it'll be back in a minor weekly patch.

E: So once it's in, the animation will play whether you press f, click and drag, or right click. No more insta-looting with click and drag. It's a pretty big adjustment to make from the current turbo-dragging you can do, and is quite annoying, but I guess that's the balance they want.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 25, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ah okay cool.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

They need to despawn the corpse after a while is the thing.

Eh, I wish that weren't the case. It'd be such a huge help walking into a town and physically seeing corpses, so you could assess how risky an area is at a glance. Boxes despawn too.

If it's a memory issue and a way to combat lag, just have bodies outside of safe zones despawn. I hate walking into a town and the only indicator of if there are / were people nearby is an open door. Corpses would give you early warning signs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I get maybe 20fps more which brings me from 30fps to 50fps with i7 920, 12GB of 1333mhz ddr3 and gtx 970. I know I should upgrade my cpu but... DOTA runs fine and now this game seems to run fine too, so :v:

Also shotguns still kill with 1 shot no problem. Even to the chest. I didn't realize the guy was holding a live grenade though so I went over to loot his remains after killing him, and suddendly I exploded into a gooey mess...

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Patch is live, restart steam to get it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Just got a motorbike and tested the air control. My back wheel caught a bump as I was leaning back a tiny bit going off a medium jump and it front flipped me forward and I died :thumbsup:

e: bluehole :argh:

BLUEHOOOOLE :argh:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 25, 2017

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
You should have to hit trees for sticks so you can make a fire to cook bodies to get the loot out of them

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Eh, I wish that weren't the case. It'd be such a huge help walking into a town and physically seeing corpses, so you could assess how risky an area is at a glance. Boxes despawn too.

If it's a memory issue and a way to combat lag, just have bodies outside of safe zones despawn. I hate walking into a town and the only indicator of if there are / were people nearby is an open door. Corpses would give you early warning signs.

It's a "we don't want to unnecessarily confuse players into thinking it's a prone guy waiting around that you should shoot" design decision, which is a good one.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

No Safe Word posted:

It's a "we don't want to unnecessarily confuse players into thinking it's a prone guy waiting around that you should shoot" design decision, which is a good one.

They're talking about the decision to have boxes despawn. Although I didn't think that actually happened, because do the items just vanish?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Loopoo posted:

Always keep playing. Two of my wins are from a solo team member pushing on after an early game fight has wiped the rest of us out. One was an epic 1 vs like 75

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Patch + test patch dropped, I think to myself, maybe the game is better now, maybe there's less lag and lovely performance, could perhaps be worth playing a bit again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4B73WutWw

perhaps not

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
got the day off, it's raining, new patch..... but no one is on, dammit, oh well, let's try a solo I guess

:smug:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Bohemian Nights posted:

Patch + test patch dropped, I think to myself, maybe the game is better now, maybe there's less lag and lovely performance, could perhaps be worth playing a bit again

perhaps not

It's almost like it's an unfinished build of the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bohemian Nights posted:

perhaps not

That sucks, but the patch has been great for most people, with performances gains of 10-20FPS.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The VSS is absurdly silent
https://streamable.com/qne6u

but good luck ever killing anybody with it with the current full auto pattern in a crunch even at close range.
https://streamable.com/axzse

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
New patch has been amazing for FPS but I really don't like how fast the berries heal you once you eat them. I think they should be a smaller chunk of HP instead of a heal over time.

I was hovering around ~40 FPS with my 1050 TI but now I'm getting 60 flat! I'm also not getting any stuttering when I open dead player crates anymore.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I've never seen a deathbox despawn, but they aren't necessarily always on top of the rendered body, because it physics around and the box just sits at wherever the game determines the point of death was.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Badfinger posted:

I've never seen a deathbox despawn, but they aren't necessarily always on top of the rendered body, because it physics around and the box just sits at wherever the game determines the point of death was.

Yeah, this is why the box system is necessary. It would loving suck to blow a guy up with a grenade and then have to search for his body for five minutes so you can get the loot you earned. With the boxes, you know the loot is going to consistently be where the guy's last HP ticked away.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Found a VSS at yasnaya mansion.

e: wait I'm dumb that's just where the blue stopped there's still 2+ seconds of lag though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
It should be possible to set things on fire. Want to hide in those bushes? Now do that while on fire!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

It should be possible to set things on fire. Want to hide in those bushes? Now do that while on fire!

I think molotovs should last longer, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what is this 5.5 gig update?

• Locked thread