Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It seems like everywhere I look, more and more I see the lack of good people being in our government becoming the real crisis. The fact that we have people defending assault should be triggering recalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

literally a child

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 25, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/867767673106649089
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/867768036714921984
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/867767844968202241
https://twitter.com/JFXM/status/867766990785654784
https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/867763687485874177

Your joke for the morning:
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/867767303248674816
https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/867745495044771840

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RuanGacho posted:

It seems like everywhere I look, more and more I see the lack of good people being in our government becoming the real crisis. The fact that we have people defending assault should be triggering recalls.

Yeah, I'm still dreading the next major natural disaster or mass casualty crime that happens in America. It'll be worse than Katrina.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, nothing's going to stop the leaking. The leaking is happening because people hate the administration.

The funny thing is that I feel the only thing keeping us from becoming a fascist, authoritarian society is the fact that so many people leak poo poo to the press and let the media and citizens cut their poo poo down before they can push their plans through.

If Trump was Nixon-smart we'd have his red-hats burning the original copy of the constitution and we'd be giving Turkey a run for the money in the "democracy to monarch" game.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I'm still dreading the next major natural disaster or mass casualty crime that happens in America. It'll be worse than Katrina.
"Last week, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) heard back from President Trump on his request for $929 million in aid to help with unmet hurricane recovery costs. Cooper sought funding mainly through the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program.

Cooper expressed “shock and disappointment’’ over the federal response.

The Trump administration had denied more than 99 percent of the aid Cooper sought, providing the state a mere $6.1 million. The governor, working with his state’s congressional delegation ― including Republican Sen. Thom Tillis ― had estimated nearly $700 million needed to meet housing needs, more than $170 million to assist farmers, repair public facilities and provide health services to storm survivors, and $39 million to help close to 700 small businesses. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-natural-disaster-budget_us_5919f2b9e4b0809be157130a

poo poo costs money, man

Cooper sent a letter asking him to reconsider and to include disaster relief in the 2018 budget. No news since.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Ripoff posted:

The funny thing is that I feel the only thing keeping us from becoming a fascist, authoritarian society is the fact that so many people leak poo poo to the press and let the media and citizens cut their poo poo down before they can push their plans through.

If Trump was Nixon-smart we'd have his red-hats burning the original copy of the constitution and we'd be giving Turkey a run for the money in the "democracy to monarch" game.

This leak in particular is different in that the press should have a responsibility and ethical code that constrains them from publishing details that can imperil a rapidly unfolding investigation of serious offences like terrorism. This isn't a matter of 'freedom of the press' or anything, either.

Leak and publish all you want about Trump's oval office tantrums, but both the leaking AND publishing of the Manchester bomb details are both at fault, because this could actually cost lives if a person involved has slipped the net because he's been tipped off about what the police know.

EDIT: If there ever was a distinction between what a 'good' and a 'bad' leak is, this Manchester one can be used as a good example of 'bad'.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

what the gently caress. so embarrassing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you want money from a Republican president, you better loving elect a republican governor. If your state is blue gently caress you.

That's the message.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

"Last week, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) heard back from President Trump on his request for $929 million in aid to help with unmet hurricane recovery costs. Cooper sought funding mainly through the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant program.

Cooper expressed “shock and disappointment’’ over the federal response.

The Trump administration had denied more than 99 percent of the aid Cooper sought, providing the state a mere $6.1 million. The governor, working with his state’s congressional delegation ― including Republican Sen. Thom Tillis ― had estimated nearly $700 million needed to meet housing needs, more than $170 million to assist farmers, repair public facilities and provide health services to storm survivors, and $39 million to help close to 700 small businesses. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-natural-disaster-budget_us_5919f2b9e4b0809be157130a

poo poo costs money, man

Cooper sent a letter asking him to reconsider and to include disaster relief in the 2018 budget. No news since.

See, this is the kind of poo poo that's really indefensible. The travel ban and the AHCA, while awful, are mostly awful for what they will do in the future, and can be prepared for to a degree. Giving 1% of the funds requested to restore people's lives after a natural disaster has already happened, though? That's basically laughing at people's pain and suffering.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you want money from a Republican president, you better loving elect a republican governor. If your state is blue gently caress you.

That's the message.

I'm glad i live in a state whose only natural disasters are Scott Walker and David Clarke

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rakosi posted:

This leak in particular is different in that the press should have a responsibility and ethical code that constrains them from publishing details that can imperil a rapidly unfolding investigation of serious offences like terrorism. This isn't a matter of 'freedom of the press' or anything, either.

Leak and publish all you want about Trump's oval office tantrums, but both the leaking AND publishing of the Manchester bomb details are both at fault, because this could actually cost lives if a person involved has slipped the net because he's been tipped off about what the police know.

EDIT: If there ever was a distinction between what a 'good' and a 'bad' leak is, this Manchester one can be used as a good example of 'bad'.

everything should be transparent.

it's a joke we still aint seen the bin laden pics.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rakosi posted:

Has there been any word on if the publishers tried to communicate with the WH about the leak? In a normal, functional administration the reporter calls the WH and gets more details. I would not be surprised if there was nobody at the WH to take that call and talk to reporters and ask them not to publish the story because it contains classified information of an ongoing investigation.

A baseline level of trust is required to make this relationship work and I am sure it is not there. Yes, publishing was a mistake, but some of the blame also needs to be laid on the WH for obliterating the press relations norms that have been established over many years.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Of course, nothing gets Ryan harder than the shrieks of pain of cancer kids on no meds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Groovelord Neato posted:

everything should be transparent.

it's a joke we still aint seen the bin laden pics.
PEE

TAPE

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

I'm glad i live in a state whose only natural disasters are Scott Walker and David Clarke

And Paul Ryan.

And the diet of a green bay packer fan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Should journalists start carrying guns for protection against violent politicians?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This dude has been setting himself up hard to survive the coming backlash and post-Trump fallout.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Majumbo posted:

Has there been any word on if the publishers tried to communicate with the WH about the leak? In a normal, functional administration the reporter calls the WH and gets more details. I would not be surprised if there was nobody at the WH to take that call and talk to reporters and ask them not to publish the story because it contains classified information of an ongoing investigation.

A baseline level of trust is required to make this relationship work and I am sure it is not there. Yes, publishing was a mistake, but some of the blame also needs to be laid on the WH for obliterating the press relations norms that have been established over many years.

I agree completely. Of course the American administration is making GBS threads the bed at the moment, and the NYT has been doing a great job of highlighting news that the American public needs to know regarding the illegal poo poo that Trump and his goons have been up to. Some of that reputation of responsible publishing has been dented by publishing the bomb stuff and they've given the Trump administration an 'in' to criticize them. This may even have been deliberate, like some have suggested ITT, in that a Trump supported leaked this bad thing in order to show that "leakers are the real bad guys!" but still the NYT has fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. They hosed up because the buck stops with the publisher of leaks, ultimately.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Chilichimp posted:

And Paul Ryan.

I forgot Ryan was from there for a moment.

In retrospect WI is loving up the whole country kind if hard and 2018 is their last chance to make it right.

You've been warned WI :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ReidRansom posted:

This dude has been setting himself up hard to survive the coming backlash and post-Trump fallout.

Actually he's in a state where he will never lose to a democrat. He could get primaried from the right by a trumpist.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

happyhippy posted:

Of course, nothing gets Ryan harder than the shrieks of pain of cancer kids on no meds.

Ryan is the personification of the white guy in the last panel of the 'A Concise History of Black-White Relations in the USA' cartoon.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Spacebump posted:

Should journalists start carrying guns for protection against violent politicians?
Journalists are going to start showing up with security at events, and politicians with their own, to protect each other from anyone who isn't in their group.

Thankfully the US has so many guns to prevent anyone getting violent!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spacebump posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Trump is going to show us if someone can harm the president in self-defense.

Or poo poo, what if two world leaders go at it? Do their security details brawl? Are we at war?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Chilichimp posted:

And Paul Ryan.

Now I want a brat and some cheese curds.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Furnaceface posted:

Can you guys arrest and deport anyone that works as an ICE goon?

There was a big argument back in Jan/Feb about whether or not it's right to punch nazis. The overwhelming consensus was that Yes, You have a Duty to do so.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

Now I want a brat and some cheese curds.

Me too, homie. :smith::respek::smith:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Actually he's in a state where he will never lose to a democrat. He could get primaried from the right by a trumpist.

He was on one of the Sunday shows the other weekend and spoke frankly about the troubles ailing modern America, like how families never eat dinner at the table together anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Tayter Swift posted:

Trump's got his pretext, y'all

Following the release of crime scene photos from the Manchester concert bombing, President Trump has asked for "a complete review" of leaks from U.S. government agencies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a634_story.html

He didn't need any pretext for this, and objectively he should have done it a long time ago.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
On the British leaks, I have a feeling the motivation of those leaks is more that it's clear the British government missed opportunities to deal with this particular bomber. Don't think this is a leak motivated by hating Trump.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/867772661539229696

Not sure what to make of it, but at least it's not another R congressperson hemming and hawing at denouncing it. But I'm not sure making light of it is all that much better

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fsif posted:

He was on one of the Sunday shows the other weekend and spoke frankly about the troubles ailing modern America, like how families never eat dinner at the table together anymore.

Just because he's not invited doesn't mean other families don't do it :v:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

It's cool to have a family that's tight and likes to sit around the table and eat.

It's also cool to have a family that slams monster energy drinks and binge watches star wars while eating bugles and nathans hotdogs with chili and cheese.

AS LONG AS THEY'RE TOGETHER, YO

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/867684782620241920

:ussr:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

And Paul Ryan.

We got real fuckin great german food here, great brats, cheeses. Not a down side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

He's a fraud.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

We got real fuckin great german food here, great brats, cheeses. Not a down side.

I said diet, not cuisine.

The food is great, eating it until you look like Mike MCCarthy's older brother in winter clothes is not.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sloober posted:

WI isn't allowed to show it's face in public until Paul Ryan, Scott Walker and Donald Trump are out of office.

Own your sins.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

RuanGacho posted:

This doesn't strictly follow what you're saying but it's related: the problem is not just that we have a very stupid and evil president, but also that he is surrounded at all levels by venal, evil people who know exactly how to manipulate him. Trump's relationship with his cabinet and the greater Republican party is a lot like a profoundly autistic person and a "facilitated communication" quack.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...sabilities.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

mcmagic posted:

4 of our last 9 senators elected since 1970 have been Democrats.

• Locked thread