Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Would you take the Eagles offense or the Giants offense this year?

easy

You go with the better QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
This has always been the Eagles thread.

Why are there so many more Eagles fans than fans of the other NFC East teams? :iiam:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think we're just louder/more devoted.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

FO has its problems but Iodised was wrong in his criticism. Football Outsiders ranked them #2 in sack rate, which even if you take out their weeabo adjustments isn't wildly different from just looking at the actual sack rate--sacks/pass attempts.

The problem is that just looking at sacks isn't actually a good way to gauge an offensive line's ability*--Most sacks are the QB's fault and Eli is pretty good at avoiding a sack.

I agree with what you point out in this post and it was the main point I was trying to make in my criticism of FO here. Sack rate is a garbage stat and heavily influenced by the quarterback behind the line and judging an OL entirely based off of its sack rate is really simplistic. You would hope a site that wants to be seen as having advanced stats would be able to cook up something more complex than what basically boils down to "sacks/dropbacks."

It's also why the Giants come out way ahead of the Packers in pass blocking according to FO which is what I mentioned in my post - Eli gets the ball out of his hands incredibly quickly, for better or worse, and even in many of those scenarios he's pressured. But there's nothing in FO's calculations that takes this into account. Only if he actually gets sacked does it matter. PFF does a slightly better job at accounting for this but they're still pretty flawed there too.

Contrast that to the Packers, who give Rodgers so much time that he occasionally runs in circles in the pocket waiting for someone to come open. But he does take more sacks doing this so FO comes to the conclusion that Giants OL > Packers OL. Reality is a lot more complex than that and I would hope that a stat like this is one thing that they're focusing hard on improving upon.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Also, by my own metrics that I refuse to share, the Giants' offense is better than the Eagles

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Would you take the Eagles offense or the Giants offense this year?

I'd rank it:

1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Lolskins

But the Eagles and Giants are really close. I'd rather have the Eagles O-line and the Giants WRs. I'd take Wentz over Eli but I'm a giant homer. RB situation is kind of a toss-up.

NotWearingPants posted:

This has always been the Eagles thread.

Why are there so many more Eagles fans than fans of the other NFC East teams? :iiam:

Posting's all we have since we dont have ~*RINGZZZ*~

:smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

Posting's all we have since we dont have ~*RINGZZZ*~

:smith:

I'm p.sure they don't give out rings to fans anyway.

I think the Eagles offense is now good enough to be as good as Carson Wentz makes it. It doesn't have the kind of weapons that could carry a mediocre QB, but it's got enough for a good QB to win. Wentz had a clear disadvantage with his receiving core last season. He won't have that excuse anymore.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

axeil posted:

I'd rank it:

1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Lolskins

But the Eagles and Giants are really close. I'd rather have the Eagles O-line and the Giants WRs. I'd take Wentz over Eli but I'm a giant homer. RB situation is kind of a toss-up.

Really? You think Washington is that bad? Our offensive line is solid, Cousins has proven to be a viable starter, and we have weapons. I would at least put them over the Giants on the offensive line alone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Really? You think Washington is that bad? Our offensive line is solid, Cousins has proven to be a viable starter, and we have weapons. I would at least put them over the Giants on the offensive line alone.

I think the Washington Redskins suffer from people not knowing their team very well because they've been irrelevant for so long that nobody pays attention. They are better than people think.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The main issue for the Skins is they lost their top 2 WRs (I know Crowder is secretly the best but still) and Doctson is a ???

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The main issue for the Skins is they lost their top 2 WRs (I know Crowder is secretly the best but still) and Doctson is a ???

But they got Pryor and still have Jordan Reed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
That's true, Pryor will be probably better than any WR they had last year. Jordan Reed is a concussion away from retiring it seems

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm p.sure they don't give out rings to fans anyway.

I think the Eagles offense is now good enough to be as good as Carson Wentz makes it. It doesn't have the kind of weapons that could carry a mediocre QB, but it's got enough for a good QB to win. Wentz had a clear disadvantage with his receiving core last season. He won't have that excuse anymore.

Yep

I'm kind of worried tbh. He might not be good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotWearingPants posted:

I think the Washington Redskins suffer from people not knowing their team very well because they've been irrelevant for so long that nobody pays attention. They are better than people think.

Yeah. It also doesn't help that during the offseason Washington tends to make a joke of themselves with things like firing the GM around free agency.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'd say the lack of certainty at RB is a bigger issue than losing Jackson and Garcon. Garcon's benefit was primarily as a veteran presence and while Jackson's speed is obvious I think they can make do with what they have. Crowder is a great player, Reed is an amazing red zone threat, and Washington's biggest issue was the red zone. Between Reed, Doctson, and Pryor Cousins should have plenty of big bodies to throw to. Brian Quick might also prove interesting at 6'3" but if he hasn't figured out the game by now I doubt anything will change in DC.

Either way I think Washington has what it takes to have a third winning season. At the very least Cousins will be playing for a monster contract (on another team :suicide:).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

Yep

Nonsense

:ohdear:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

euphronius posted:

Yep

I wouldn't worry. By the Law of Cleveland Always Makes The Wrong QB Decision he should at least be decent solely by their deliberate choice to pass on him.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 25, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Yep

I'm a little worried that he might only end up being a top 5 QB, but I'm p.sure he'll be the best when Brady retires.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The bigger problem with Washington is that Kirk doesn't want to be there and could pretty much do jack poo poo and get signed by the Niners next season.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

a new study bible! posted:

The bigger problem with Washington is that Kirk doesn't want to be there and could pretty much do jack poo poo and get signed by the Niners next season.

Yeah, for all the bluster I've heard from the front office it's pretty blatant that Cousins has no problem moving on and is probably eager to do so. I don't think he'll half-rear end things, especially since the better he plays the better his contract, but either Washington is going to pay out the nose or they're going to lose him. And even a massive contract may not be enough.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah but I think this guy just likes to play football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecC4ASKETk

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Josh Norman did an interview and he had several insightful things to say about some other NFC East players:

quote:

Let's get into a little word association with receivers. Dez Bryant?

That's a guy. Just a guy. Dez was Dez in 2012, '13, '14. Maybe '14. Now? He's a guy.

quote:

So when you think of Odell, what is his game?

He tries to be a tough guy. He tries to put on this persona which he's not. Because he's always going to have his head on a swivel. Always. Always when we play each other. He's scary like that. He does things that he normally wouldn't do because of all the pressure and added hype that he has to put on his whole persona. He's not this guy. If you go back and watch the games in which we play compared to the games we don't play each other, he's a totally different guy.

I've chatted with Stephon Gilmore up in Buffalo, and way back before that game, he called Odell Beckham Jr. a prima donna.

There's not even a word. I hope I don't catch him outside. Let's just say that.

He goes on to talk about how none of the receivers in the NFC East represent a real challenge like Julio Jones or Antonio Brown, and then a little for the Eagles too:

quote:

Who are the other receivers more like Julio Jones then? Who do you have circled on your own schedule?

Alshon [Jeffery] is going to be with us this year. He's a big guy. He uses his body. And I enjoy going against big guys because they think they can get physical with me. They think that. That's quite the contrary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...200776899256040

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
in a division littered with hilarious cartoon characters and villains, josh norman is the most inconsequential and boring of them

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

corn on the cop posted:

in a division littered with hilarious cartoon characters and villains, josh norman is the most inconsequential and boring of them

I wish he would talk less. The whole thing with OBJ is ridiculous and while he's clearly a solid corner I don't think his actions back up his words as much as he thinks they do.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Did he do much last year? I can't remember

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
He had a good, not great season and got penalized a lot

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

corn on the cop posted:

He had a good, not great season and got penalized a lot

He had poo poo days in his first games against Bryant and ODB and did OK in his second games, on Thanksgiving against Bryant in which Bryant beat him bad on a crucial 3rd down play to set up the win and in a nothing-at-stake week 17 game against the Giants

So good-not-great is accurate, but I'd probably shut up and keep my head down if I were him, given that that Washington missed the playoffs

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Howie freed up another 2.5 million in space almost by restructuring McLeod

89 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 27, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Nolan Carroll got arrested for DWI

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Nolan Carroll officially became a Cowboy

ftfy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ONLY THE FINEST OF CHARACTER TO PLAY ON JASON GARRETTS TEAM

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

He didn't even injure, let alone kill a teammate so nah

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
In a Q&A today, an Eagles beat writer was asked to name the best QB in the NFC East going in to the 2017 season.

For me, the obvious answer to this question is Carson Wentz.

He said Kirk Cousins.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Was it Marcus Hayes?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

In a Q&A today, an Eagles beat writer was asked to name the best QB in the NFC East going in to the 2017 season.

For me, the obvious answer to this question is Carson Wentz.

He said Kirk Cousins.

Nick Foles, hands down. :v:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

axeil posted:

Nick Foles, hands down. :v:

Hey, that's Hall of Famer Nick Foles. :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Hey, that's Hall of Famer Nick Foles. :colbert:

I think you mean Pro Bowl MVP Nick Foles

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Doubting Nick Foles goes to show that the Eye Test is empirical. :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
First Foles comes back. Next Maclin gets cut. The universe is trying to undo the idiocy of Chip Kelly The Fraud.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I want Mac Back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Diqnol posted:

I want Mac Back

:same:

• Locked thread