Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Play as Gary Oak and start with an eevee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

i've literally wanted this since i was 7, playing yellow

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

Already been done.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Robindaybird posted:

It could also work for a game under the SMT Umbrella - Nocturne was kind of like that in the few remaining humans (and their stand-in Manikins) were pretty much at the utter mercy of demons, even SMT4 and Strange Journey had the 'these wandering demons can utterly wreck the poo poo out of anyone who isn't armed and prepared'
True. In SMT4, there are even demons wandering around in the same maps as most of the towns. Anyone straying about ten steps outside of an underground shelter is probably dead unless they have demons of their own backing them up, which requires cell phone access and the skill (and moxie) to negotiate with demons. Note that you have to convince your potential allies that they should in fact work for you instead of just proving your strength to them and stuffing them in your capture device. The random encounters are dangerous enough that if one manages to surprise you, it could very well be lethal, even to a team armed to the teeth and with demon support.

None of the demons are even explicitly more intelligent than human beings, and yet there are still factions and even entire cultures controlled or secretly manipulated by demons. SMT is a pretty good look at what Pokemon would be if the creators had decided on going for more realism, and the fact that SMT already existed by the time Pokemon was being conceptualized might have been a reason they went with a more idealistic approach to the 'Mons genre.

Not to mention that all of the games that go for that level of "realism" almost always stat up the player character and have them fight alongside their team, probably to raise the stakes for the player. If your character's life is on the line as well it increases the player's investment in the results of the combat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

the Orb of Zot posted:

or the Lost comic from CAD)

I shouldn't be surprised, but I looked up what "loss.jpg as a Pokemon" looked like and it actually managed to disappoint me with its laziness. It's just a block with the meme lines drawn on the front. Like, I was expecting a three-stage line with a Mega Evolution where each stage's silhouette lined up with one of the panels, but apparently even that was too much to expect from 4chan.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
The mention of SMT in this thread made me realize something.

In the far off future, all the media we love will eventually become public domain, meaning that in a future SMT game we can create our own Pikachu by fusing two demons together.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

In the far off future, all the media we love will eventually become public domain, meaning that in a future SMT game we can create our own Pikachu by fusing two demons together.

Not if something equal to or worse than the TPP goes through - nothing has entered public domain for several decades, thanks to copyright law being hosed up - but that's a discussion for another thread.

More on topic, I've also discussed this happening with Gandalf and Godzilla in similar discussions elsewhere. :p

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given SMT2 had Audrey II and Christine the Plymouth Fury as demons you can contract and fuse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well demons are born of collective consciousness sooooooooo

What I mean is that pop culture is still culture and they kinda fit as a result.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 25, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Robindaybird posted:

Given SMT2 had Audrey II and Christine the Plymouth Fury as demons you can contract and fuse.

My favorite demon in SMT2 is Terminator.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Robindaybird posted:

Goku for Persona 6.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Goku for Persona 6.

His arcana is Sun.

Maybe. I'm not well versed in tarot

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 25, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Goku for Persona 6.

But we already have Sun Wukong/Seiten Taisei.

His arcana is Sun.

Maybe. I'm not well versed in tarot

You can probably make a case for it, since he's already been in three different ones over the course of the series.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In the far off future, all the media we love will eventually become public domain,
Not if Disney has anything to say about it and they've gotten several extensions to keep Steamboat Willie from entering the public domain so they absolute do.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Disclaimer: I am not a trademark lawyer.

Actually, stuff like Pikachu aren't just copyrights, they're also trademarks, which aren't subject to public domain. So, by my understanding, you could make a game that was SMT in all but name, ditto Pokemon, but given that I doubt either Atlus or Nintendo would let the trademarks lapse on either property, the "official" content and titles would still be off-limits.

Wait I think I just described Yo-Kai Watch.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They can't really trademark any of the demons though, or can they?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tallgeese posted:

They can't really trademark any of the demons though, or can they?

Only the likenesses, hee-ho.

You can call something else Jack Frost and not get sued, even if it's in a game like SMT, but it can't look like SMT's or possibly talk like SMT's without having to invoke Fair Use.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KataraniSword posted:

Only the likenesses, hee-ho.

You can call something else Jack Frost and not get sued, even if it's in a game like SMT, but it can't look like SMT's or possibly talk like SMT's without having to invoke Fair Use.

Pretty much, in the 70s, Disney the company tried to make the University of Oregon change their mascot so it doesn't look like Donald, the University had to provide proof that Walt himself had gave permission for the likeness. A Duck in a sailor suit would be fine, but in this case, the issue is the exact likeness.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
So I could have a character named Lucifer, but it would be a problem if I aped Atlus' exact design?

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

So I could have a character named Lucifer, but it would be a problem if I aped Atlus' exact design?

Well yeah, Lucifer goes back a bit before Atlus. They can't copyright religious figures.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hell, you could name the protagonist The Demihuman, and it wouldn't be a problem as long as they're not a mostly-naked guy with Tron lines.

Materant posted:

Demifiend, but yeah.
:doh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 25, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

PMush Perfect posted:

Hell, you could name the protagonist The Demihuman, and it wouldn't be a problem as long as they're not a mostly-naked guy with Tron lines.

Demifiend, but yeah.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
So what I'm getting is that I really need to play SMT

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Hammurabi posted:

That, and Uranium isn't the worst Pokemon fangame out there. I'm saddened, but not surprised.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ulvirich posted:

God Eater and Toukiden series also fits that criteria. Humanity pushed to the brink and you're basically just fighting to survive.

Monster Hunter still does it better than it's clones, because all the clones love doing the edgy grimdark fangame route where there's ~Real Death~ and everybody's got to struggle to survive in this hellish world where monsters roam the earth

Whereas in comparison Monster Hunter's basically just like the real world except wild animals are 2-10 times their normal size. Sometimes they get a bit too cocky and need to get driven off or taken out but it's way more lighthearted, the monsters have way more character than any of its clones manage to have, and it's better off for it.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Monster Hunter still does it better than it's clones, because all the clones love doing the edgy grimdark fangame route where there's ~Real Death~ and everybody's got to struggle to survive in this hellish world where monsters roam the earth

Whereas in comparison Monster Hunter's basically just like the real world except wild animals are 2-10 times their normal size. Sometimes they get a bit too cocky and need to get driven off or taken out but it's way more lighthearted, the monsters have way more character than any of its clones manage to have, and it's better off for it.

Honestly, thats been why I think Toukiden and God Eater do it better. I can never take Monster Hunter seriously, because its like the Pokemon effect. People talk about how dangerous or powerful such and such is, but then a single nobody Hunter will completely cream it.
Meanwhile a full party of four G-rank equipped Ace Hunters, the best of the best, completely fail to take on a Low Rank Gore Magala. So then the absolute nobody in Low Rank gear, will solo it with ease and then slay dozens of them to make stuff from its body. At least the other Slayers (Toukiden) or God Eaters all are capable of doing their jobs with a pretty good success rate.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

krisslanza posted:

Honestly, thats been why I think Toukiden and God Eater do it better. I can never take Monster Hunter seriously, because its like the Pokemon effect. People talk about how dangerous or powerful such and such is, but then a single nobody Hunter will completely cream it.
Meanwhile a full party of four G-rank equipped Ace Hunters, the best of the best, completely fail to take on a Low Rank Gore Magala. So then the absolute nobody in Low Rank gear, will solo it with ease and then slay dozens of them to make stuff from its body. At least the other Slayers (Toukiden) or God Eaters all are capable of doing their jobs with a pretty good success rate.

If you're going to nitpick something like that, be fair about it. It's four experienced hunters getting routed by a pre-elder dragon that no one had any information on or had tried to engage before, which spreads spores in the air that weaken anyone in the area trying to fight it and drives other monsters into a berserk frenzy. You only take it on yourself much later after learning about the frenzy virus and dealing with other infected monsters.

It's perfectly in line with the the way the rest of the game works. Humans don't beat the monsters through overwhelming strength, they win through perseverance, planning, and experience. It's a perfectly serious tone when it needs to be without having to take the "real death, real consequences" route that every single MH clone does.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hammurabi posted:

You should play SMTIV Apocalypse. You get to kill God! Actual Abrahamic YHVH too, not some JRPG euphemism. It's okay, he's a real dick.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Begemot posted:

You should play SMTIV Apocalypse. You get to kill God! Actual Abrahamic YHVH too, not some JRPG euphemism. It's okay, he's a real dick.

You get to murder god (and dozens of other deities) on multiple occasions in SMT.
And also Satan.

SMT is good.
Start with 3, also play Avatar Tuner, Go to 4/4A which are apparently real good, though i havent played them-

Actually theyre all real good games, just avoid the older ones (max tedium) and Strange Journey (To go even further beyond max tedium)

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

If you're going to nitpick something like that, be fair about it. It's four experienced hunters getting routed by a pre-elder dragon that no one had any information on or had tried to engage before, which spreads spores in the air that weaken anyone in the area trying to fight it and drives other monsters into a berserk frenzy. You only take it on yourself much later after learning about the frenzy virus and dealing with other infected monsters.

It's perfectly in line with the the way the rest of the game works. Humans don't beat the monsters through overwhelming strength, they win through perseverance, planning, and experience. It's a perfectly serious tone when it needs to be without having to take the "real death, real consequences" route that every single MH clone does.

Eeeeh, maybe. But the thing is, they're still four Hunters in G-Rank Armor. Even slaying a single G-Rank 'drome is more challenging then a Low Rank Gore Magala, even with its Frenzy mechanics.
If they had made the Ace Hunters just another party of normal Hunters like yourself, I'd cut them some slack. But since they're Hunters who already have G-Rank privilege and are using equipment made from said G-Rank Wyverns and 'dromes, the fact they can't handle a Gore Magala 4 on 1, when you do it 1 on 1 in vastly worse equipment just doesn't make any sense at all.

I kind of like Monster Hunter trying to have some level of story to it, I just wish they could make it feel less... silly and awkward still.

But really, I also just like Toukiden and God Eater more for the gameplay as well. The fact you have fairly competent NPC allies also makes the fights less tedious and boring for me.
That and they don't have arbitrary "you need 10 of this and 8 of this thing, then 4 of this" for crafting. Both Toukiden and God Eater both do the like 2 max of a material for making things, so you don't have to keep hunting the same thing a dozen times.

But I guess this isn't really related to Uranium anymore :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Strange Journey has such a good premise, but yeah it really is awful to actually play. Definitely play older games before newer ones, the way they improve the fusion mechanics over time make it extremely difficult to go back.

To get back on topic, SMT always does an amazing job of juggling tones. It's usually set in post-nuclear-apocalyptic Tokyo that has been taken over by literal human-eating demons. And yet there's plenty of room for jokes and levity, especially in demon negotiation. They do a great job not letting things get too grim (except maybe in Digital Devil Saga).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

krisslanza posted:

Eeeeh, maybe. But the thing is, they're still four Hunters in G-Rank Armor. Even slaying a single G-Rank 'drome is more challenging then a Low Rank Gore Magala, even with its Frenzy mechanics.

Yeah, and how come Gandalf didn't just fly them all the way to the mountain? How come mega man doesn't just teleport right to Dr. Wily directly??? Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker??????

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

krisslanza posted:

If they had made the Ace Hunters just another party of normal Hunters like yourself, I'd cut them some slack. But since they're Hunters who already have G-Rank privilege and are using equipment made from said G-Rank Wyverns and 'dromes, the fact they can't handle a Gore Magala 4 on 1, when you do it 1 on 1 in vastly worse equipment just doesn't make any sense at all.

Have... you just never experienced any fictional stories before? The protagonists being better than everyone else is kind of A Thing in fiction you know.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
God Eater like practically starts with a hunter being instagibbed by the most basic lovely monster that hits you for barely no damage. I don't think it's really any better in that regard.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Have... you just never experienced any fictional stories before? The protagonists being better than everyone else is kind of A Thing in fiction you know.

Well, yeah. But the Ace Hunters are always played up as being better then you, and even when you do their job for them, you still have to jump through all the other hoops to get High Rank and G-Rank. Even though you proved you're already better then four elite G-Rank Hunters by killing a little measly Low Rank Gore Magala.

Zerilan posted:

God Eater like practically starts with a hunter being instagibbed by the most basic lovely monster that hits you for barely no damage. I don't think it's really any better in that regard.

To be fair, Eric isn't some kind of elite, ace God Eater or anything. He joined Fenrir about 3 years prior to the protagonist, but he's only a Master Sergeant rank after his post-death promotion. He's been around for a few years, but he's still a pretty up and coming God Eater, unlike MH's Ace Hunters who have years of experience and equipment that is far and away superior to anything you'll have until post-game.

EDIT:
Also Eric's death is played up a lot better in the anime.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Did it occur to you at any point that you're trying to promote God Eater as better than Monster Hunter because it takes itself super seriously and isn't afraid to tackle "mature" issues like death by having the only death occur in the first ten minutes of the game in this, the Pokémon Uranium thread

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You get to murder god (and dozens of other deities) on multiple occasions in SMT.
And also Satan.

SMT is good.
Start with 3, also play Avatar Tuner, Go to 4/4A which are apparently real good, though i havent played them-

Actually theyre all real good games, just avoid the older ones (max tedium) and Strange Journey (To go even further beyond max tedium)

4's kind of crap and has problems. I never have much fun with it.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
So I started playing Pokemon Clover last night. It's cute. It's meme garbage but it's fun ironic meme garbage. If no one objects I might do some LP posts in this thread for it (though I've never LP'd anything and I can't guarantee they'll be funny).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is "fun ironic meme garbage" the same as "ironic racism"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Personally I like Toukiden and God Eater more than Monster Hunter not because of the setting, but because the gameplay is better. Or, different in a way that I like more than how Monster Hunter does it. Every Monster Hunter I've played (2 [briefly], Tri, and 3 Ultimate) I've had to fight the controls which really ruins my enjoyment.

• Locked thread