Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Mar-a-lago is right in the middle :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/maggyandoscar/status/867835123047186433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

Yeah, the Waco and Ruby Ridge stuff remain important with militia types. And until something resembling them happen again those two are gonna stay fresh. Distorted as all hell but hey, what cultural myth bullshit isn't.

My serious answer is that 8 years of Barack HUSSEIN Obama followed by Trump's election unleashed a lot of bad poo poo and legitimized and reinvigorated white supremacy bigly. We are remembering these things to remind ourselves about what happens when White Supremacists get really angry and we have to deal with their bullshit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Beranton Whisenant sounds like a character in a Terry Pratchett book

Wonder if there's a running national tally of judiciary deaths under mysterious circumstances since November.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm sure this will be a big story for Hannity to get to the bottom of

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

My serious answer is that 8 years of Barack HUSSEIN Obama followed by Trump's election unleashed a lot of bad poo poo and legitimized and reinvigorated white supremacy bigly. We are remembering these things to remind ourselves about what happens when White Supremacists get really angry and we have to deal with their bullshit.

Wait, what do you mean here? Why would a White Supremacist get mad about what happened to the Branch Davidians? They were a kooky Christian cult but I don't think race had anything to do with it. I've seen a black survivor of the group on an interview show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He was just searching for shells on the beach and found himself a .38.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

That is a great idea. Someone should DM him. something something had the truth about no collusion something something

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

hanales posted:

That is a great idea. Someone should DM him. something something had the truth about no collusion something something

"Hey gang! It's Old Lady Wasserman-Schultz under the mask!"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
loving article five speech today was gross.

trump talking about 9/11 and the tragedy that it was when he was literally on FOXNews bragging about his buildings right after it happened

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what do you mean here? Why would a White Supremacist get mad about what happened to the Branch Davidians? They were a kooky Christian cult but I don't think race had anything to do with it. I've seen a black survivor of the group on an interview show.

Because the ATF(edit: brain fart with Ruby Ridge) were the ones doing the sieging. It has nothing to do with who the Branch Davidians actually were. poo poo it's not even about the actual siege so much as the myth of the siege.

edit: Anyways, I'd go out on a limb and say most militia types or really most of anyone don't know much about the Branch Davidians. I know the general tone I got from my uncle on this poo poo amounts to thinking they're just sort of weird isolationist Christians who liked guns, and not a doomsday cult way into sexual abuse. poo poo just sort of gets glossed over.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 25, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

White nationalists and militia types viewed it as big government (specifically the ATF) coming to get the guns from the Branch Davidians. In fact, weapons are what brought the compound to the ATF's attention initially.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

NikkolasKing posted:

A combination of the federal government loving up and a scenario where the ATF leads a failed raid on a Texas compound loaded with 50 caliber rounds is a modern day Alamo or something.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Seriously go watch that documentary, it's a forecast for the future.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

white supremacists generally hate the government and altho the branch dividians were kooky jesus freaks, the FBI response was overly militaristic and heavy handed - this is why they don't raid nutters anymore like at malheur and prefer to wait them out

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

skylined! posted:

loving article five speech today was gross.

trump talking about 9/11 and the tragedy that it was when he was literally on FOXNews bragging about his buildings right after it happened

Umm, I think you'll find he was in his office watching people jump/at the site helping/in New Jersey watching millions celebrate. Who are you going to believe: Trump's stories or the lying LAMEstream LIEdia?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Because there's a deep commingling of the dominionist / sovereign citizen / militia movements and white supremacy, whether overt or subtle, is a common theme to every one of them. Specifically Ruby Ridge's connections to Waco and the perception of it being a government crackdown on White Folk.

You should watch the Frontline series on Netflix (I think they're all still streaming). Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Oklahoma City are sort of like a documentary trilogy and sum up a lot of the general

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Renewed militia prevalence during Obama's time in office and the recent occupation of Malheur likely led to a glut of such docs being produced. Likely with the thought that they would remain relevant in coming years due to the certain victory of Clinton keeping militia groups loud.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TGLT posted:

Because the ATF(edit: brain fart with Ruby Ridge) were the ones doing the sieging. It has nothing to do with who the Branch Davidians actually were. poo poo it's not even about the actual siege so much as the myth of the siege.

edit: Anyways, I'd go out on a limb and say most militia types or really most of anyone don't know much about the Branch Davidians. I know the general tone I got from my uncle on this poo poo amounts to thinking they're just sort of weird isolationist Christians who liked guns, and not a doomsday cult way into sexual abuse. poo poo just sort of gets glossed over.

the initial raid was ATF. after that the siege was conducted by a group of organizations - ATF, Texas Rangers, Texas National Guard iirc? - with ultimate authority resting with the FBI, who launched the assault which ended up destroying the compound and killing the besieged branch davidians

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

When will Killary's bloodlust be sated. Though I am sure that the fine upstanding journalists at Infowars will uncover the truth.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess UK Conservatives are more consistent on being against immigrants.

Pretty consistent, yeah. This is from 1964:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

boner confessor posted:

the initial raid was ATF. after that the siege was conducted by a group of organizations - ATF, Texas Rangers, Texas National Guard iirc? - with ultimate authority resting with the FBI, who launched the assault which ended up destroying the compound and killing the besieged branch davidians

Guv'mint coming for your guns and/or multiple wives aside, it didn't help that the Feds hosed up both times, tried to cover it up so as to not appear incompetent vis a vis breaching situations, and added fuel to the white supremacist fire.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/867850324979142656
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/867850163762733056
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/867841941077188610

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/867845234738307073

edit: holy gently caress
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/867852119499431936

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

remusclaw posted:

Renewed militia prevalence during Obama's time in office and the recent occupation of Malheur likely led to a glut of such docs being produced. Likely with the thought that they would remain relevant in coming years due to the certain victory of Clinton keeping militia groups loud.

They're still bubbling just under the surface. If a Democratic president wins, whoever they are, they'll explode in membership again.

If a Democrat wins with a name like "Kamala Harris"*, doubly so.

(I'm not predicting she will win or anything)

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

It, like Ruby Ridge before it, became a nucleating point for right-wing whackjobs of all stripes. McVey himself was there, selling pro-2A bumper stickers off the hood of his car. It was a formative event for him during the years he spent wandering the country, becoming radicalized.

Invalid Validation posted:

Seriously go watch that documentary, it's a forecast for the future.

Seconding this. It's really good, and my reply above was stolen wholecloth cites it heavily.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Trump Thread II: Violence may not be the greatest thing, but...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Everyone already kinda dog-piled on your question but yeah, there's a strong anti-government common thread between kooky christian cults and white supremacists. McVeigh and other terrorists explicitly invoke both Christianity and White Supremacy when they kill people.

EDIT: Also, look up "The Turner Diaries"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Duke Igthorn posted:

gently caress. Rodney Dangerfield would have been the best Trump in the biography.

Did you tell him that it doesn't loving matter if he's "just trolling" or not because being a "pretend" bigot and being a real bigot are the exact same thing?

Yeah, the logic that someone is "just pretending" to be abhorrent for money and celebrity and is actually a nice guy IRL simply doesn't follow. If you "play an rear end in a top hat on tv" using your real name as a brand identity, don't be suprised when people think YOU'RE actually the rear end in a top hat. If your success is based on stoking the flames of bigots and leading them on, then whether you like it or NOT you ARE one of them, whatever you actual idealogy may be.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah, the logic that someone is "just pretending" to be abhorrent for money and celebrity and is actually a nice guy IRL simply doesn't follow. If you "play an rear end in a top hat on tv" using your real name as a brand identity, don't be suprised when people think YOU'RE actually the rear end in a top hat. If your success is based on stoking the flames of bigots and leading them on, then whether you like it or NOT you ARE one of them, whatever you actual idealogy may be.

Let of people never read Mother Night, op

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

farraday posted:

Which still wasn't his low, which, as measured by Gallop 4 weeks later Jun 5-6 at 37% after Travelgate. But please tell me more about how it was Waco.

You're telling me that Clinton firing 7 people that he didn't appoint, who worked for the White House Travel Office, with a given reason of financial irregularities, THIS is a blockbuster scandal that would drop Clinton 10 approval points 2 weeks after they get fired?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Alright this kind of makes me angry.

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed/photos/a.114529165244512.10815.108793262484769/1577899202240827/?type=3&theater

If the image embed doesn't work, it appears Trump has sent his lawyers after Berkely Breathed for "unauthorized use of his image".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's really arguable whether or not saying those things and not believing them is WORSE.

Like, you think nonwhites are equal to whites, and yet you're fine with inciting violence against them for personal profit? What kind of a monster are you?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hanales posted:

https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed/photos/a.114529165244512.10815.108793262484769/1577899202240827/?type=3&theater

If the image embed doesn't work, it appears Trump has sent his lawyers after Berkely Breathed for "unauthorized use of his image".

loving :lol: he's the president, he doesn't get any loving expectation of privacy regarding his likeness.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Home from work, let me make sure I'm caught up on the days' topics.

Zuckerberg is probably running for something and is the perfect anti-Trump, a techbro is the next leader of the free world.
Trump got owned by Macron all day, handshake and uh, oh Macron laughed at him.
Trump shoved some other president to be in the front
Trump told NATO to pay what they agreed to and oh my God I agree with something he said gently caress.
Trump is going to start a trade war with the EU? I'm guessing he really doesn't like Merkel?
Mench is now a confirmed troll? Holy poo poo

is that loving everything jesus there's too much news these days

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What a King Kong sized idiot. Not a single loving person from NATO would hear that suggestion and think it is even remotely appropriate or possible.

Everyone is listening to this and not just laughing, but preparing for the United States not even existing (as far as their relationships go).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Zuckerberg wearing a suit is all you need to know about his intentions for presidential races. If he were doing anything else, he wouldn't give a poo poo about his image.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Mench is now a confirmed troll? Holy poo poo
ehhhh....the source is Milo. Let's give it some time.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

hanales posted:

No one tell Trump about Bloom County.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hanales posted:

Trump Administration: we will have your rear end in a sling by lunch. (rear end-slinging counts as a pre-existing condition)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hanales posted:

I'd love to see the president of the united States personally sue a loving cartoonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hanales posted:

WHAT

• Locked thread