Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Election night is going to be amazing I cannot wait.

Namtab posted:

On the off chance that Labour wins I will use all of my influence to ensure pissflaps is banned

Banned from your anime club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Is T-May literally the british Hillary Clinton and J-Corbz the british trump?

The Greeks warned us all about hubris two thousand years ago but apparently nobody listens.
If May wins the next election I'll obviously be upset but at least we all saw that coming. If Corbyn becomes PM though, I'm going to lose faith in humanity altogether if you backtrack on your comments in the same way that you did your Brendan Rodgers prediction.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Sadly looks like one of the folks at the wargames club's going down the islamophobe route. I'm hoping I can see him monday when he's a bit calmer and talk some sense into him. Pity how the far right always seems to be around to offer a wrong answer before someone can bring up facts.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TACD posted:

Somebody I usually consider fairly level–headed has done a Facebook post complaining about articles from the Canary being 'fake news' — it's obviously got a fairly lefty slant but AFAIK it's don't published anything that qualifies as 'fake'. Am I wrong?

The Canary is not a good source for the truth but no worse than any other tabloid. It's just coming from the opposite direction so pundits give it more derision.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Don't get me wrong I hope corbyn wins.

For one thing, my one close british friend is an arch-tory. When he was in university he kept a framed charcoal or pencil sketch of Margaret Thatcher on his desk, which his grandfather, another arch-tory, had loving drawn in years past.

I think he signed up as a labour supporter or whatever to vote for corbyn in the leadership election, on the firm belief that he was sowing the seeds of the labour party's destruction, and I reminded him that the republicans had had the same idea with Obama over here.

If labour loses narrowly though... there can be no forgiving corbyn snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gorn Myson posted:

If May wins the next election I'll obviously be upset but at least we all saw that coming. If Corbyn becomes PM though, I'm going to lose faith in humanity altogether if you backtrack on your comments in the same way that you did your Brendan Rodgers prediction.

I don't know who brendan rodgers is.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

If labour loses narrowly though... there can be no forgiving corbyn snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm pretty sure that whatever happens in the rest of this campaign no-one can accuse Corbyn of having snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

jabby posted:

I cringed hard when Burnham said we need to engage with the Muslim community and 'put the onus on them' to identify potential terrorists.

Yeah, if only friends and family members of the Manchester bomber had alerted the security services about their concerns about him. That would have prevented it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I don't know who brendan rodgers is.
This is pedantry Mr Flaps. We all look up to you and you let us down. We need strong and stable leadership in these times and you lead us astray.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gorn Myson posted:

This is pedantry Mr Flaps. We all look up to you and you let us down. We need strong and stable leadership in these times and you lead us astray.

that's not Flaps

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm not pissflaps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

How is not knowing who Brendan Rodgers is pedantry?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Banned from your anime club?

I'm shocked at how you managed to figure out that I like anims, when I talk about them, have an av of them, have a rap sheet from adtrw, you're insightful af. Maybe you should think less about me, it's weird.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

jabby posted:

I'm pretty sure that whatever happens in the rest of this campaign no-one can accuse Corbyn of having snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yeah, he had a lot against him going in. If he retains most of his seats, that's pretty good. If he gains, he can unequivocally argue he's succeeding.

Random Integer posted:

Yeah, if only friends and family members of the Manchester bomber had alerted the security services about their concerns about him. That would have prevented it.

This is why I don't understand the "we need muslims to take the lead in policing people!" thing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

How is not knowing who Brendan Rodgers is pedantry?
He was the manager of the biggest side in England.

Also if we're giving out Flaps avatars can I have one please.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what did I miss that warranted 1200 posts overnight

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tithin posted:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

spectralent posted:

This is why I don't understand the "we need muslims to take the lead in policing people!" thing.

It's easy. The government doesn't want you to think they're indirectly to blame, and as a side effect they benefit from increased social division and votes from people trying to stop the Muslamic threat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tithin posted:

Bomb news, racists, books

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

tithin posted:

Labour are going to win the election and Jeremy Corbyn's going to become president of the united states of europe.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lol, a PCSO hating foreign aid attacking the Tory on the panel. What a world we live in.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just been reminded by Twitter.

Theresa May still has to face audience panels.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I turned against corbyn when he refused to step down after the brexit and after losing the confidence of his professional colleagues. I'd sort of begun to believe in him before that.

If he wins, then good for Britain, the benighted isles will go up quite a few rungs in the Anglosphere Rankings. I have some very serious reservations about him based on his despicable views on NATO, but if he is willing to keep britain as integrated as possible with the EU then that might make up for any damage he does otherwise in terms of international cooperation and institutional strength against the enemies of democratic civilization.

If he doesnt win though, and its close, it may well be that the blame is down to his divisive and ineffective leadership and an inability to capitalize on the declining fortunes of the tories.

Less than two weeks to go!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Racists, and the resurrection of Hope.

Also, Pissflaps, what is the minimum requirement for Labour to succeed? The Tories losing their majority? Or labour to be be able to form a agreement for a labour government despite a minority of seats? Or labour to take 326 seats?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TACD posted:

Somebody I usually consider fairly level–headed has done a Facebook post complaining about articles from the Canary being 'fake news' — it's obviously got a fairly lefty slant but AFAIK it's don't published anything that qualifies as 'fake'. Am I wrong?

Steve Topple was pretty much a full on conspiracy theorist who wrote some very dubious articles for them. Otherwise the majority of fake news they were caught out as rewriting and republishing were things that other major publications were caught out by.

For the most part they're fine. I don't rate them too highly for their journalism, but there are a lot worse outlets out there.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
How am I still allowed to post?

No justice, no peace

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Here, have a hot take:

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/867867775322267648

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Prince John posted:

It's easy. The government doesn't want you to think they're indirectly to blame, and as a side effect they benefit from increased social division and votes from people trying to stop the Muslamic threat.

It's more the "normal people" doing it who aren't hugely political. I guess most of them just assume that he wasn't investigated by his local community at all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hakimashou posted:

I turned against corbyn when he refused to step down after the brexit and after losing the confidence of his professional colleagues. I'd sort of begun to believe in him before that.

If he wins, then good for Britain, the benighted isles will go up quite a few rungs in the Anglosphere Rankings.

If he doesnt win though, and its close, it may well be that the blame is down to his divisive and ineffective leadership and an inability to capitalize on the declining fortunes of the tories.

Please stop calling it "the brexit", it's just brexit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
hope is a lie

and yet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

Also, Pissflaps, what is the minimum requirement for Labour to succeed? The Tories losing their majority? Or labour to be be able to form a agreement for a labour government despite a minority of seats? Or labour to take 326 seats?

In my pissflaps voice "a Labour victory"

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Prince John posted:

I this particular instance its Andy Burnham saying it. Theres no reason for him to take this line beyond it being the kind of vague, empty thing politicians like to say and Andy Burnham is kind of a vague, empty politician.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nothing to seehere posted:

What a bizarre question. Labour will have 'succeeded' if they're in a position to form a government after the election.

Namtab posted:

In my pissflaps voice "a Labour victory"

See? Even this guy gets it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can someone post the poll? Not up on guardian au

hakimashou posted:

If he wins, then good for Britain, the benighted isles will go up quite a few rungs in the Anglosphere Rankings. I have some very serious reservations about him based on his despicable views on NATO, but if he is willing to keep britain as integrated as possible with the EU then that might make up for any damage he does otherwise in terms of international cooperation and institutional strength against the enemies of democratic civilization.

You're not Pissflaps

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I can't loving parse this :psyduck:

Like, sure there's the risk that polling well will make idiots overconfident and not vote in the belief everything's done and dusted, but this is some incoherent bullshit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just been reminded by Twitter.

Theresa May still has to face audience panels.

She does?

:laffo: the biggest soft-labour "Don't know" I've heard is "I don't mind Corbyn but he's not really going to win, is he?". The amount of people who won't vote for him because he might win is going to be miniscule compared to the amount of people who weren't going to vote for him because he wasn't.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If the electorate latches onto the idea that police cuts are bad rather than wanting to make muslims / foreigners lives more lovely in a response to the Manchester attack, and vote Labour in response, I will actually forgive them for Brexit

I don't know how I will be able to handle having my faith in humanity restored, but OTOH hope is a lie

I mean in a just world the rediculous level of May's hubris in that 2015 speech would tank the election for her but you know

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Random Integer posted:

I this particular instance its Andy Burnham saying it. Theres no reason for him to take this line beyond it being the kind of vague, empty thing politicians like to say and Andy Burnham is kind of a vague, empty politician.

Andy Burnham's performance tonight is a demonstration of why he would be a poor Labour leader. He attempts to chart a central line through everything, ends up missing the point and pisses everyone off. Case in point: nobody likes Prevent, therefore we should change the name.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tithin posted:

Can someone post the poll? Not up on guardian au

You're not Pissflaps

I know I even said so just a few posts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

SteelMentor posted:

I can't loving parse this :psyduck:

Like, sure there's the risk that polling well will make idiots overconfident and not vote in the belief everything's done and dusted, but this is some incoherent bullshit.

There was polling data from earlier in the campaign that people who were hostile to a Corbyn led government were still prepared to vote labour as they thought he had no chance of winning. Tightening polls reduce that effect.

You might disagree but it's not incoherent.

• Locked thread