Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Boars tend to damage crops worldwide, there's plenty of them, hunting them is often encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That guy was amazing but he got kinda way into spelling out words with stacked pig corpses and stuff

That poo poo ruled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

There used to be a thread where some crazy goon would chronicle his nocturnal wild pig hunts. If I remember correctly he used only a spear, and he was kind of sadistic about the whole thing.

Didn't he make the national news for tracking using a drone?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

If this ends with President Melania and Vice President Ivanka in some kind of Xanatos Gambit that gets them to institute an all-female administration, I would consider it worth the stress.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Radish posted:

They were cool with it up until one conservative group got sick of him and releaked that he had that creepy poo poo in his past. Then suddenly they found their consciences. If it had just been on the downlow and only non-conservatives were calling attention to it there would have been no issues whatsoever.

They were bandwagoning behind those Bundy fucks until he started lecturing about "the negro" Sometimes there are still a limits to the madness.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2013/11/07/dehogaflier-drone-being-used-to-hunt-kill-feral-pigs/

I think this is him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Time did a piece.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They're more aggressive than bears, weigh up to 200 lbs, like to live near farms, and kill 4-5 people a year. They have no natural predators and can shrug off even large caliber handgun rounds to the skull. Not the world's greatest menace, but pretty bad.

Since human civilization the boar hunt was considered on of the most dangerous game, one that you better go after with intent to kill and gently caress any fair play because those fuckers will try to take you down with them.

Starmaker posted:

Roving feral murder pigs. I didn't really need another reason to never visit Texas, but here we are.

Boars have been on the rise since the 1980s and have been seen from California to Virginia. They're an invasive species and are all over the goddamn country.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

TildeATH posted:

If this ends with President Melania and Vice President Ivanka in some kind of Xanatos Gambit that gets them to institute an all-female administration, I would consider it worth the stress.
someone post that "actually, the trump women are also bad" article from vice

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Boars are no joke. They'll eat you if they are able to take out your tendons and then go for your throat.

God that's badass. I love pigs.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Watch any nature documentary about lions and/or hyenas and count the number of times a wild boar chases them away.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Elotana posted:

someone post that "actually, the trump women are also bad" article from vice

Oh, no I know that, I'm just willing to accept bad people as long as they're female because, you know, 4000 years of oppressing women so take your victories where you can.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Thread title:

Trump Thread II: Feral pigs

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Who was the psycho who defended the use of guns in schools because of Wild Boars? Because I'm starting to think she had a point.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Crabtree posted:

Since human civilization the boar hunt was considered on of the most dangerous game, one that you better go after with intent to kill and gently caress any fair play because those fuckers will try to take you down with them.

Boars have been on the rise since the 1980s and have been seen from California to Virginia. They're an invasive species and are all over the goddamn country.

So is this a glimpse of our nightmare future? Are they just gonna keep spreading forever, in all directions, until all of mankind is embroiled in the Pig Wars?

This is not something I thought I'd need to worry about.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who was the psycho who defended the use of guns in schools because of Wild Boars? Because I'm starting to think she had a point.

That would be Betsy DeVos

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Secretary of Education.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Why is Kentucky so drat poor if it has so much local industry and tourism?

I mean there's nowhere else in the US that has some of the most famous liquor, the worlds most famous horse race, the worlds biggest cave, and the appalachian mountains.

Isn't dollywood there too?

There's a lot of different things. Low population density, lack of major commerce lanes, tourist sites that don't lend themselves to commercialization (having a lot of gorgeous state parks is nice, but it don't make you rich), and geographical features that prevent really large scale commercial agriculture. The state also pinned its economy on two industries -- coal and tobacco -- that ended up being really bad ideas in hindsight.

The parts of the state that are urban are doing great -- Louisville's an awesome, weird little city -- and the rest are withering up.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

You're all wrong.

It was bears.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was our Dep. of Education head, Betsy Devos and it was bears

e: i'm jonseing for some monster hunter now. gotta charge my 3ds when i get home

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is roughly how big they are, too. Imagine something that loving big that's also able to take a bullet to the face, and it hates you personally.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Looks like a random JRPG mob.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I know this is a derail (but, to be fair, one of our more fascinating ones)

But

Why, long ago, did we look at these creatures and think "those, those are the animals I will herd in large numbers and keep near my house to eat."

Edit: I'm sorry. I've always really liked pigs but I think this is the first time I've really taken to heart that they're more dangerous than bears. Maybe over a year of Trump has made me soft in the head but this is really messing me up tbh

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Because most people are loving morons with zero foresight

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Starmaker posted:

But

Why, long ago, did we look at these creatures and think "those, those are the animals I will herd in large numbers and keep near my house to eat."

They probably just collected piglets at first, and then killed them before they could become too much to handle.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Rigel posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I assume most conservative parties in other countries are nowhere near as evil as the GOP, and are basically in favor of being a little less generous but still wanting people to be cared for at some level.

Our conservative party is run by a cartoonishly evil brotherhood of supervillains. I imagine people in other countries are confused and horrified for our sake.

Our Australian conservative government is doing its level best at the moment to mimic the US as much as possible in terms of being evil. Since they can't really destroy Medicare (not for lack of trying), they're going after refugees instead.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Grapplejack posted:

This is roughly how big they are, too. Imagine something that loving big that's also able to take a bullet to the face, and it hates you personally.

And they're smart as gently caress, too. Screw dolphins, boars will be the next rulers. Oh and they're interspecies rapists.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Starmaker posted:

So is this a glimpse of our nightmare future? Are they just gonna keep spreading forever, in all directions, until all of mankind is embroiled in the Pig Wars?

This is not something I thought I'd need to worry about.

In 2018, one of the only good jobs that remain is Boar Hunter. It's risky business, but there's always hogs to kill and people to pay for them to be dead. Also possibly good meat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TildeATH posted:

ITT we transition to the matriarchy in john carpenter's ghosts of mars

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Rudoku posted:

And they're smart as gently caress, too. Screw dolphins, boars will be the next rulers. Oh and they're interspecies rapists.

:stare: What?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What a King Kong sized idiot. Not a single loving person from NATO would hear that suggestion and think it is even remotely appropriate or possible.

Everyone is listening to this and not just laughing, but preparing for the United States not even existing (as far as their relationships go).

We're gonna get sanctioned, aren't we...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
In fairness that will be one of the least jarring shifts from our current rulers

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Grapplejack posted:

Also they travel in packs so there's probably going to be more than one of them coming at you.

Yup, good luck with that.

Starmaker posted:

But

Edit: I'm sorry. I've always really liked pigs but I think this is the first time I've really taken to heart that they're more dangerous than bears. Maybe over a year of Trump has made me soft in the head but this is really messing me up tbh

Best guess: After domesticating the wolf mankind got high on their own hubris and thought they could tame anything.

They were wrong.

People always seem to forget that pigs are omnivores and will eat humans if they get the chance.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

We're gonna get sanctioned, aren't we...

No, that's just dumb poo poo that Trump is saying but won't follow through with once his people tell him it's stupid

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ekster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 26, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ekster posted:

Looks like a random JRPG mob.

Texas gives out a repeatable quest to collect boar asses.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

neoteny is a hell of a drug

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Trumps final form?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Starmaker posted:

But

They're hardy, eat anything, and they have a lot of meat. It's the perfect mix of characteristics for domesticating livestock to slaughter.
Also they were apparently domesticated like 10,000 years ago so they probably cared more about having something that could take the stress of living alongside hunter gatherers in the process of converting to agriculture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grapplejack posted:

Normally I am at best slightly dubious about hunting pictures, but this just fills me with a "heck yeah, only a billion more to go".

Edit: also there's a really interesting Goat Vs Pig dichotomy in a lot of agricultural societies. They both eat everything plantlike and outside of seriously bullshit mountains are both suitable in any given environment, so they're handy.

It's just that goats won't generally kill and eat YOU.

• Locked thread