Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bad Munki posted:

In related news, I got my shipping notice this morning (Wave 1, United States as funded by tragic 3rd-world backers), getting pretty excited to not paint yet another giant pile of plastic fantasy mans!

Got my "pre-transit" notice yesterday, with an estimated arrival of this Friday. I will have the biggest unpainted dragon in my group of friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Prime it, then you can just say it's technically a WIP, thereby removing its "unpainted" status.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Got my notification. Twenty-five pounds of plastic coming my way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bad Munki posted:

Whereabouts are you? Because last year, that was the problem, a lot of people got hit with import...stuff, and got dinged by customs. I don't think they're trying to actually rip you off or do anything shady, but there may be some case that didn't work out as intended. Have you contacted them about it?

I'm in Australia. I don't really care what their intent was, they've ripped me off, and anyone else here with even a moderate order coming.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Bulk shipping within the US is actually way less than 10 dollars per person. The reason they don't bother charging US backers extra is probably because the processing fees and the man hours to set it up would be more than the shipping fees.

Then why the gently caress are they massively overcharging ROW backers and using it to subsidise US shipping?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 24, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NTRabbit posted:

I'm in Australia. I don't really care what their intent was, they've ripped me off, and anyone else here with even a moderate order coming.
Saying they ripped you off implies intent. It may be a poorly designed system, but unless they designed it to intentionally over-charge you, it's not ripping you off. But that's semantics, so if you want to yell "ripped off" I guess have fun, I'm sure it'll help.

quote:

Then why the gently caress are they massively overcharging ROW backers and using it to subsidise US shipping?
I don't know why you think they're doing that. is it because my bill didn't have an additional "Shipping and Handling" line on the invoice? Why do you think that the cost of shipping just isn't rolled into the cost of, say, a core set? Say it costs $50 to make the core set, covering labor, materials, importing, etc. They add their markup of whatever % and say that brings it to $90. They make it $100 and just silently roll all that together. Now I pay $100, I don't pay an extra shipping fee, but your poo poo isn't subsidizing my poo poo. Your bill has the additional shipping charges line because yours is (ostensibly) whatever my shipping cost was PLUS what you see on that line. Do you really think that if you get something from amazon and it says "free shipping" that the shipping is actually free and not just incorporated into the price of the item?

I get that you're pissed about that huge charge on top of your original invoice, and reasonably so, that's pretty sizable and a bit ridiculous. But at the same time, you're making assumptions about the internal finances of Reaper that I'm pretty sure you have no actual data on.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 24, 2017

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know why you think they're doing that. is it because my bill didn't have an additional "Shipping and Handling" line on the invoice? Why do you think that the cost of shipping just isn't rolled into the cost of, say, a core set? Say it costs $50 to make the core set, covering labor, materials, importing, etc. They add their markup of whatever % and say that brings it to $90. They make it $100 and just silently roll all that together. Now I pay $100, I don't pay an extra shipping fee, but your poo poo isn't subsidizing my poo poo. Your bill has the additional shipping charges line because yours is (ostensibly) whatever my shipping cost was PLUS what you see on that line. Do you really think that if you get something from amazon and it says "free shipping" that the shipping is actually free and not just incorporated into the price of the item?

I get that you're pissed about that huge charge on top of your original invoice, and reasonably so, that's pretty sizable and a bit ridiculous. But at the same time, you're making assumptions about the internal finances of Reaper that I'm pretty sure you have no actual data on.

This is a good and rational post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shipping inside the us is generally really cheap thanks to USPS, too, so it's easier to offer free domestic shipping thanks to that. Anything under a pound is lime 3 bucks, and you can ship some pretty impressive amounts for 20 bucks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also repacking a shipping container and sailing it to australia isn't free.

I do think that that $179 probably would have covered direct shipping from Texas to Australia, though. Is that $179 US, or dollarydoos?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

dollarydoos?

Down-undollars? Outbucks?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Down-undollars? Outbucks?

Didgeridollars

Wallabucks

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kangarubles.

Red greenbacks.

Saltwater Crocodineros.

Koalolly.

EDIT: Funnelwonga spider.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Also repacking a shipping container and sailing it to australia isn't free.

I do think that that $179 probably would have covered direct shipping from Texas to Australia, though. Is that $179 US, or dollarydoos?

US Dollars, which is $238 dollarydoos today. That's probably almost enough money for international express.

Repacking a container and sailing it to Australia isn't free, but it's a drat sight cheaper than what was charged.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

US Dollars, which is $238 dollarydoos today. That's probably almost enough money for international express.

Repacking a container and sailing it to Australia isn't free, but it's a drat sight cheaper than what was charged.

I agree. I think you're wrong that overcharging for international shipping was an intentional choice to subsidize US shipping, but I agree you've been overcharged and have grounds to complain. Have you sent a complaint to Reaper?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

If I were to personally ship my order from Denton TX to Sydney via UPS, which is what my 10lb domestic order is using, it would cost $260 USD.

FedEx shows $405

USPS shows $94.

Just in straight postage costs, USPS didn't ask any customs or value details, so the final cost would probably be higher.

International shipping can get complicated, so I've no doubt someone can find cheaper rates by fiddling with it, and they probably do have a better rate since they ship many things.

Meanwhile shipping via USPS I can cram up to 70lbs in one of their 12"x 12" x 6" boxes and it'll cost $18.85 to ship anywhere within the USA. Businesses get a better rate too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Provided the value is under $1000 dollarydoos there are no customs costs to add

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PirateDentist posted:

If I were to personally ship my order from Denton TX to Sydney via UPS, which is what my 10lb domestic order is using, it would cost $260 USD.

You made me check and it appears I'm getting 23.8 pounds of plastic, what have I done :ohdear:

NTRabbit posted:

Provided the value is under $1000 dollarydoos there are no customs costs to add

You really should contact them and try to find out what's up. But I wouldn't lead with "you're ripping me off" and "why are you gouging me to subsidize US backers"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reaper is generally a good company and I don't think they have done things in an underhanded way like that (that I know of), so I would give them the benefit of the doubt. But I also appreciate that 179 genuine purestrain freedom dollars is a lot of money and you deserve a reasonable accounting of it. They did at least pull and ship all the stuff going to distributors before starting other shipments, so it seems like they were making an effort to get them their stuff as soon as they could.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The problem is I paid for airfreight and now I'm getting sea freight.

Seems unfair to me?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The problem is I paid for airfreight and now I'm getting sea freight.

Seems unfair to me?

If you paid air and it was sent by sea it seems perfectly reasonable to request a refund for the price difference.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No argument here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Where in Reaper do I send my complaint to?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Woot, wave 2 and I just received my shipping notice.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

NTRabbit posted:

Where in Reaper do I send my complaint to?

http://www.reapermini.com/companyinfoandpolicies

Has customer service number and email.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Bone zone. Got my Wave 1 shipment today.

It's one thing to see the previews of some of these next to Sir Forscale, but in person, these are just massive. Not just Ma'aldraakor, but T'Raukzul, the Purple Worm, the Froghemoth are big rear end miniatures. T'Raukzul is practically a statue like Ma'aldraakor.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Exinos posted:

If you paid air and it was sent by sea it seems perfectly reasonable to request a refund for the price difference.

They addressed this in one of the recent updates. Basically there's no money to refund because the cost of shipping the packages to your country plus employing the in-country forwarding service is equal to the cost of posting directly from Reaper except now you won't get slugged with import duties (I know this is less of an issue in Australia because we don't get taxed on things under $1000).

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bachtere posted:

It's one thing to see the previews of some of these next to Sir Forscale, but in person, these are just massive. Not just Ma'aldraakor, but T'Raukzul, the Purple Worm, the Froghemoth are big rear end miniatures. T'Raukzul is practically a statue like Ma'aldraakor.

:jackbud:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cyberia posted:

They addressed this in one of the recent updates. Basically there's no money to refund because the cost of shipping the packages to your country plus employing the in-country forwarding service is equal to the cost of posting directly from Reaper except now you won't get slugged with import duties (I know this is less of an issue in Australia because we don't get taxed on things under $1000).

Maybe in future they should ask us, so that we can tell them not to needlessly piss our money away, and then actually tell us rather than make us hunt the down the information like they've got something to hide

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Got my notice last night. I think the fact my order was small-ish put me higher in the process. As of this morning it's on a truck ready to show up at my work sometime today.

7 pounds of chunky plastic in my office. It's going to be a good day. :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

It is a good day.

I don't remember ordering a flying saucer...how odd.

The box smells strongly of paint, but no leaks. All bags accounted for, now to open them an ensure the bag contents are accurate.

Goremaw is Awesome!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bachtere posted:

I'm assuming they didn't come int he box labelled 'contents: Sledge Hammer'?

I'm now super hype for Tiamat, but I need to get some practice airbrushing dragons before I attempt her I think. I don't wanna gently caress it up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They probably upcycled the boxes that the models came from China in. That box originally had 6 Sledgehammer models in it, then they reused it to ship Bachtre's stuff in.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fun fact: They initially intended to mail Ma'al out to backers in bags. However, there was a miscommunication, and they ended up with too many in boxes and not enough in bags. So, some people will receive their giant dragon in the retail box while others will get it in plastic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I hope I get mine in a box, I think it'll look better on unpainted display that way.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Regarding the graveyard set, I can report that hard plastic "bones" material is great, whatever it actually is.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So far as I know, it's the same material, just with less plasticizer in it.

ReaperBryan's at PaizoCon this weekend. Some people were joking about him bringing their orders, and he posted a picture to show how big some of the boxes are.

I just love that he included a Sir Forscale.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Got my box. I decided against getting a million little guys and went all dragons, and they look great. Much bigger than I expected.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Got a delivery notification that my 13# box is on its way and I can't wait :dance:

People who've received their Boneses: are we getting packing lists in the packages? I just wanted to check what's in the box against my pledged order (I deal with logistics at work pretty frequently and it's made me unreasonably paranoid about any kind of shipping, especially UPS).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Go here and you should be able to see exactly what you ordered: http://ks.reapermini.com/bones3

With that in hand, you then get to pick through and itemize all your bits 'n pieces manually. Woo! (I think they do include a packing list, but that's probably just a printout of the same thing that generates the above page, so trusting it as accurate probably isn't worthwhile if you're paranoid about missing pieces.)

They did have a little video about how they pick an order, though, and it involves scanning each item as it goes into the bin, and then the person who actually packs the box does an item count to double-check for any discrepancies, if it doesn't add up right, they go through your list again.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bad Munki posted:

Go here and you should be able to see exactly what you ordered: http://ks.reapermini.com/bones3

Oh christ, what did I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Thanks! It did come with a paper list, so no problems there. Here's me opening the box:
"Okay, Mouslings check, Core Set check...hmm, what's this plain unmarked cardboard box.... :asoiaf:"

I'm very impressed that they managed to fit Ma'aldrakar into a single box that small.

• Locked thread