Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hollismason posted:

Oh man, Mon El being on Legends of Tomorrow would be awesome.

This was a really good season finale. Also, poor tiny Superman.

It beats repeating but Tiny Superman is best Superman. He just acts like Supes should, right down to his corny as hell dialog. It's really good to see after the DCMU debacles.

Supergirl is easily the best of the DC shows right now (not counting Captain Lance, Time Lesbian, and the Time Idiots). It's been firing on all cylinders since halfway through season 1 and CBS was stupid to let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It's good to hear everyone positive on the end of the season, I bounced off during all the Mon'el relationship drama. I look forward to catching up on Netflix.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I kinda wish Mon El had died, maybe holding his mom off from escaping. Or you know, gave Kara valuable intel on how she thinks and fights. I really liked the actor and his chemistry but they didn't give him much to work with. Which is a shame as they have done well establishing other secondary characters as bad asses in their own respective wheelhouses. It would have been a nice underscore to "I need you strong"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

8one6 posted:

Ed Asner is still alive so I want to see Cat Grant vs Granny Goodness.

That is terrifying to imagine. The voice was enough.

I'd imagine Godfrey would be a Alex Jones style character that would kick up Anti-Alien sentiment with crazy bullshit that people buy becuase of Daxumite invasion and other alien problems.

Cat goes on his show and completely dismantles it, only to have that cause Godrey to call in the Furies. This would also get Big Barda and Scott Free. I'd love seeing them, and Supergirl seems the perfect place for them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhea died like really weird. I get that they wanted you to be absolutely sure she was dead but turning to ash/stone was a bizarre way of doing it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Rhea died like really weird. I get that they wanted you to be absolutely sure she was dead but turning to ash/stone was a bizarre way of doing it.

I just assumed it had something to do with her hosed up Kryptonite blood accelerating/compounding the effects of the lead bomb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That is terrifying to imagine. The voice was enough.

I'd imagine Godfrey would be a Alex Jones style character that would kick up Anti-Alien sentiment with crazy bullshit that people buy becuase of Daxumite invasion and other alien problems.

Cat goes on his show and completely dismantles it, only to have that cause Godrey to call in the Furies. This would also get Big Barda and Scott Free. I'd love seeing them, and Supergirl seems the perfect place for them.

I feel like the New Gods best reserved for the end. They exist at the far end of the power scale and (at least as of Morrison) use powers beyond magic and technology.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
So will this new lead-permeated atmosphere bork the super-cousins' x-ray vision?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Fumblemouse posted:

So will this new lead-permeated atmosphere bork the super-cousins' x-ray vision?

Ooooh hadn't thought of that. It's a cool repercussion shed have to live with, and is a way to make her a bit less of a titan .

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Fumblemouse posted:

also all airport security

i genuinely felt sad for supergirl after monel left and cat was all like 'your face is sad'

:(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mon El :smith:

I had a feeling that they were going to write him out at the end of the season, although I guess he's not written out completely since he was left with his own cliffhanger. What is a Boom Tube btw?

I thought the finale was really strong overall, the only downside was the weird lack of James. I thought he'd be Guardian'd up and helping Tiny Superman and J'onn deal with the Daxamites. Kat was great as always, I hope we get more of her next season. Were Alex and Maggie just chilling in the DEO for the whole episode (aside from Alex showing up to watch Supergirl v Tiny Superman)? I thought maybe they'd be out fighting a bit too when the Daxamites attacked during the main event.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

irlZaphod posted:

What is a Boom Tube btw?

quote:

A boom tube is a slang expression for a fictional extra-dimensional point-to-point Einstein-Rosen bridge (a form of teleportation) opened by a Mother Box used primarily by residents of New Genesis and Apokolips in DC Comics. The concept was created by Jack Kirby for his Fourth World series of comics.

The "science" of boom tubes has never been explained (as is normal for the New Gods, though Orion, in the first issue of New Gods, says that a tube "stems from the waves of the mind") but they allow people to quickly travel interstellar distances, and between dimensions, by creating an apparent tube between two points through which people can travel. When used, a low humming accompanies the formation of the "tube" (a tunnel of rippling circles of light) which increases in volume as the tube is maintained and traversed, ultimately culminating in a loud "booming" noise when it closes. This "boom" has been known to knock bystanders off their feet and shatter glass, and gives the technology its name. The tubes are generated or opened by another device, a Mother Box. Boom tubes are powered by the mysterious X-element, which serves as a matter threshold.

The initial Kirby comics depict boom tubes as a sort of quasi-technological equivalent of Bifröst, the Rainbow Bridge linking Asgard and Earth; indeed, boom tubes are described as a "bridge to Earth." Subsequent writers have allowed the tubes to be used for point-to-point transport between various locations on New Genesis, Apokolips, Earth, and other planets, thereby making them near-ubiquitous for the travel of the New Gods.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a portal from a Mother Box

Darkseid's mode of transport.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

It's a portal from a Mother Box

Darkseid's mode of transport.

Hey, it could be someone from New Genesis. Maybe it's Orion! Or Black Racer! It's Darkseid

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Kara mentioned that she's single now and Lena is also single...

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Chokes McGee posted:

Hey, it could be someone from New Genesis. Maybe it's Orion! Or Black Racer! It's Darkseid

Darkseid is ideally saved for DC series finales, because there is literally nothing more powerful than Darkseid. However introducing boom tubes and other New Genesis related objects could help worldbuild in time for a season 5-6 arrival

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, Darkseid is the DCCU's Thanos. There's no way in hell WB would let the TV division take a crack at him before the movies finally bumble their way up to him in like 5 years time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's why I suggested Glorious Godfrey, the high priest of Anti-life. He just goes and speaks about the glory of Darkseid's religious. He'd work really well in the context of Supergirl. Part of the New Gods but not super powerful. Scott Free, AKA Mr Miracle is an Escape Artist, though also a New God, his powers are being able to escape. Big Barda would also fit in with this being a show that focuses on strong women.

Darkseid, like many things, was in Smallville, but in a form almost unrecognizable.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Apparently it was confirmed to be Reign.
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/supergirl-season-3-reign-legion-ring-and-cat-grant/
Grain of salt and whatnot.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kara can get back to her long term relationship with ice cream now!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Please stop. Even if people are joking, there are some really creepy undertones to it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are you, Baptist? I hate shipping as much as anyone with a working brain.
If Lena and Kara got it on it'd be stupid.

I think Melissa Benoist is a heavyweight world champion of Charm, Katie McGrath is only human.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What is the effect of "silver" kryptonite? Is it so specific that Kara appeared to Clark as Zod but Rhea was not seen an enemy?!

Mortanis posted:

That was really good. Strong production values as well - about as good as you can get on a TV budget with superpowered heroes throwing each other through walls and into barriers. I've almost become used to the blur effect they use for transitioning during fights or flights, but it looked pretty good overall. I was worried when the CW move was announced but I think this was a much stronger season overall.

Except for Jimmy. Still a wet fart of a character arc, and he got 5 seconds of screen time in the finale? I like Mehcad Brooks, but they need to figure out what to do with Jimmy or just let him go the way of Lucy Lane and Maxwell Lord.

I like that the way the show ended it looked like Cat Grant was coming back full time - I have hope they can work out a deal with Flockhart and get her for more than four episodes next year.

That was totally a Boom Tube.

James has been given many opportunities. Kara's boyfriend, super-suited vigilante, Catco editor - and still has no imperative and there's nothing unique to his character to make him compelling..

Knormal posted:

I have to think releasing a bunch of particulate lead into the atmosphere isn't going to be particularly good for humans either...

Yeah as supervillainous moves go, that's right up there. The next day headlines should be "CADMUS Poisons Atmosphere, Makes Earth Uninhabitable". There's no safe level of lead exposure, and being much heavier than air, it's all going to end up on the surface of the planet soon.
And if Daxams are so vulnerable to lead why weren't citizens shooting their attackers?!##*!@ America has more guns than people you'd think they'd easily repel these aliens.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
National City is presumably in California. Harder to get guns there for the average citizen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah as supervillainous moves go, that's right up there. The next day headlines should be "CADMUS Poisons Atmosphere, Makes Earth Uninhabitable". There's no safe level of lead exposure, and being much heavier than air, it's all going to end up on the surface of the planet soon.
And if Daxams are so vulnerable to lead why weren't citizens shooting their attackers?!##*!@ America has more guns than people you'd think they'd easily repel these aliens.

There was a weird kinda dissonance there that they never really remarked on -- Supergirl doesn't quite save the day, and needs her science team to drop chemical weapons on the entire area, but no one ever said "holy poo poo, does this make us war criminals?" You can feel however you want about stuff like the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, but you can be sure that there would be a lot less people talking about how we were the good guys if we just showed up and dropped a bunch of sarin gas on everything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

What is the effect of "silver" kryptonite? Is it so specific that Kara appeared to Clark as Zod but Rhea was not seen an enemy?!

In comics, in '63 it was just fake Kryptonite. No effects. it was reintroduced in 2008 as semi-magical and basically causing the effects of marijuana (i.e. hallucinations, loss of energy and hunger cravings). That issue also introduced the Lil' Leaguers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I saw somebody say it was in Smallville too

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
If Kara got the munchies from silver Kryptonite, there would be no pot stickers or ice cream left in National City.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

I saw somebody say it was in Smallville too

It was.

Now let us never speak of Smallville again.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What if Kara got evil kryptonite gum that made her a street racer?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fun finale. Fun show. Possible war crime implications notwithstanding.

I like Mon El but he was kind of directionless on the show so its for the best he got softly written out. He'll almost certainly be back. I love the idea of him being sucked into the future to become Valor with the Legion or him getting sucked into a Boom Tube to New Genesis. Sure, there's no way this show would get Darkseid but they could get Granny Goodness or some other B villain and I just want to see a bunch of New Gods or Legionaires running around the place.

But also I 100% want more than anything for him to end up on the Waverider somehow because that would be perfect and open up Legends in the way I so badly want them to. Maybe he can spend the first half of the season on Legends, end up in the future with the Legion, and show back up for the back half of Supergirl. Best of all words. Except no Mr. Miracle, Big Bertha, and Orion which I'm now jacked up for as much as I want Wildfire, Matter Eating Lad, and Saturn Girl.

It definitely stood out how much James was sidelined in the finale. I feel like there was an entire subplot where Cat and James were talking out this whole vigilante thing that ended up on the cutting room floor. I don't want him dead or anything, but hopefully next season he'll get a little bit more of a focused mission and the color change.

Maybe in the wake of Lillian saving the Earth Cadmus becomes "legitimate" and Guardian becomes the head of security to keep tabs on them for Supergirl/DEO? Or maybe if the Lena/Checkmate thing ever happens Guardian could be part of that? Point is, James needs some focus.

I could do without M'gann back. She's just never clicked for me for some reason and that whole storyline was a dud. Maybe I'm alone there.

Xelkelvos posted:

He'd definitely be a more budget friendly powerhouse than Firestorm, Ray, or even Steel. Of course, if that much particulate lead would gently caress him up (btw, wouldn't Win and the Luthor's have gotten a much more potent dose of lead since they were at ground zero?), he'd probably never be let off the ship in any time period and location where the automobile was in popular use pre-banning of leaded gasoline or pretty much any major city during the industrial revolution.

Gideon would just handwave away some excuse or an invisible respirator collar or something. That for some reason doesn't work on Supergirl's Earth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So... I guess don't expect much from that marriage proposal as Floriana Lima, who plays Maggie, is not going to be a series regular next year. Apparently it was her decision but she is still supposed to guest star in multiple episodes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Hey guys, they were quite subtle about it but I think the pod they launched at the end was a bad guy. You might have missed it, but there were skull logos on the wall, they anointed the baby with blood and the engines on the pod were red instead of the blue like Kara's.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Hey guys, they were quite subtle about it but I think the pod they launched at the end was a bad guy. You might have missed it, but there were skull logos on the wall, they anointed the baby with blood and the engines on the pod were red instead of the blue like Kara's.

On our planet skulls and blood and red & black accents don't mean we're evil, they just mean... we're scary to to the enemy! yeah, that's it!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

McSpanky posted:

On our planet skulls and blood and red & black accents don't mean we're evil, they just mean... we're scary to to the enemy! yeah, that's it!

Immediately what came to mind as I watched it as well.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rhyno posted:

Barry saw a LOSH ring when he was multiversing that one time, they never did say which universe they were in.

Also as far as I can recall Mon-El and Supergirl were never a thing in the comics.

Mon-El and Supergirl flirted in the last good Legion run where she went to the future.

Cat has blinders on when it comes to Clark and can't believe he's Superman because Superman would pick her over Lois.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So the Channel Preview Guide showed me that Supergirl is still on Monday nights; does anyone know how long that will go on for? Will it be for Season 1 AND 2 or just 2?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vietnamwees posted:

So the Channel Preview Guide showed me that Supergirl is still on Monday nights; does anyone know how long that will go on for? Will it be for Season 1 AND 2 or just 2?

CW has not announced a change for it for season 3.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
All of season 2 is on Netflix if that's something you'd be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Our Season 3 Big Bad has been cast