Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skip My Posts posted:

lol it's only 1 month? yeah these guys are like 30-35 too it's not the coaching

iirc it's 6 weeks but yeah, not a lot of time. I'd also guess a lot of weight cut failures are also due to it being hard to cut 3-4 times over 6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
at team alpha male justin bucholtz and danny castillo are the smart ones

mewse
May 2, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

I think thats always the case on TUF because no matter how good/bad a coach you are you arent actually changing anyone while they live in a reality tv house with each other for a month

Some of the TUF coaches have been like "let's train as hard as possible for all 4 days leading up to a fight," accusing anyone who doesn't work hard as being a pussy, and then their fighters gas and lose

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skip My Posts posted:

lol it's only 1 month? yeah these guys are like 30-35 too it's not the coaching

A month where they are surrounded by cameras and producers and have to stay relatively near weight, no less. Cornering and keeping your guys' mentality sharp is all you can possibly contribute

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What are the worst TUF coach records so far? Rampage went 1-7 vs Evans. Joanna went 1-7 vs Claudia, and Melendez went 1-7 vs Pettis. Any others?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

What are the worst TUF coach records so far? Rampage went 1-7 vs Evans. Joanna went 1-7 vs Claudia, and Melendez went 1-7 vs Pettis. Any others?

Rampage coached two seasons and his fighters won 5 out of 22 bouts, I don't think any other coach beats that

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
mousasi and bisping on ufc tonight or whatever was a great segment

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reminder:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
How badly did the let me bang bro guy lose on TUF this time

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

lol no loving way were melendez and pettis coaches

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's already been stated but the whole season from arrival to departure is like 35 days. TJ appears to be a better coach overall and he stated he wants to coach when he retires. Cody has done just fine as a coach as well, especially for a fighter who doesn't appear to be that interested in coaching.

TJ has better fighters on his team.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

How badly did the let me bang bro guy lose on TUF this time

The fight almost ended in the most surprising (for those that only know Julian Lane as the Let Me Fuckin' Bang Bro guy, which includes me) way, with Lane having Ramsay seriously close to tapping several times. He landed a pretty good shot or two on the feet, and then got Ramsay in a guillotine. Ramsay got out, but then when he shot in for a takedown, he got caught in an even deeper guillotine, his hand hovering to tap and everything. Lane spent so long holding on to it that he burnt his arms out, though, and then he got mounted and hilariously lost by TKO because his mouth piece fell out when he tried to say "I'm alright!"

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol no loving way were melendez and pettis coaches

the winner of that season was none other than inaugural strawweight champion Carla Esparza

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

A month where they are surrounded by cameras and producers and have to stay relatively near weight, no less. Cornering and keeping your guys' mentality sharp is all you can possibly contribute

Thats why Chael was the best coach. Trained with his guys so he knew how they were feeling and spent a lot of time talking to them about the mental aspect of fighting.

Then in the fight cornering them to steal rounds and coast where required.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
They signed goku saki

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SquirrelGrip posted:

They signed goku saki

I look forward to fights that feature long winded rants and punches that take two and a half episodes to throw.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

CommonShore posted:

Its probably easier to figure out who the good coaches are.

This is all kind of a nonsense anyway. TUF is more about promoting the coaches fight then trying to improve fighters.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Garbrandt won't sit in his fighters corner and coach, but will sit on the bench with the boys shouting and throwing poo poo around. Meanwhile TJ is with them the whole way through. That said his coaching isn't awful like Shamrocks but his record sure makes it seem that way.

Better that he is on bench with the boys then in the corner constantly saying "GET UP" or "Don't be terrible at fighting"

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Skjorte posted:

The fight almost ended in the most surprising (for those that only know Julian Lane as the Let Me Fuckin' Bang Bro guy, which includes me) way, with Lane having Ramsay seriously close to tapping several times. He landed a pretty good shot or two on the feet, and then got Ramsay in a guillotine. Ramsay got out, but then when he shot in for a takedown, he got caught in an even deeper guillotine, his hand hovering to tap and everything. Lane spent so long holding on to it that he burnt his arms out, though, and then he got mounted and hilariously lost by TKO because his mouth piece fell out when he tried to say "I'm alright!"

Do they have a wild card slot this season? Is there a chance we could see him bang again?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Krustic posted:

Do they have a wild card slot this season? Is there a chance we could see him bang again?

Yes and Yes. Even TJ seemed ok with him getting another shot.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Tyree posted:

I hope so. I'm about to watch that episode. Hopefully He will be banging again soon.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

"Be First!" - BJ Penn's advice

"Footstomps Drago" - Matt Sera's advice

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tyree posted:

I don't know who else looked good enough for a second wild card chance. I'd consider Lane a lock for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tyree posted:

I saw this as a tongue in cheek "this guy is terrible, please select him again for your wildcard round" type comment.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

kensei posted:

"Be First!" - BJ Penn's advice

"Footstomps Drago" - Matt Sera's advice

IIRC Serra was a very valuable corner to Shonie whenever his fight went to the mat.

The Comeback season was so good. Rich Franklin's awesome advice to Serra, Shonie losing his mind while confined to the house, Serra getting hit with another Shonie spinning back fist but winning and going on to knock out GSP.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Looten Plunder posted:

I saw this as a tongue in cheek "this guy is terrible, please select him again for your wildcard round" type comment.

I did too, but more as "all of my guys are winning so I dont need to go to bat for any of my fighters to get picked"

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Goku is going to fight at lhw it seems

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Executive Vice President of Showtime Sports Stephen Espinoza posted:

“I think the date really is a function of how long it takes to get a deal done because the reality is, it took a long time for the UFC and Conor to reach an agreement to allow Conor to participate. Now the real negotiations start which is the Floyd side versus the Conor-UFC side. If that drags on then you’re probably looking at late this year. If it really drags on then you’re looking at early next year. But if people are as motivated as they seem to be - I know how badly Floyd wants it - if we get this wrapped up pretty quickly we could be seeing it early fall. That’s the goal. That’s what we’ve heard from Floyd. Now it’s just getting in a room and seeing if people will be reasonable on the kind of deal that they’re looking for.”

Most people in the sport believe the superfight will do extremely well on pay-per-view with some even projecting it to draw five million buys on PPV. Espinoza isn’t confident that the fight will do that well but he does think it’s a possibility that Mayweather-McGregor surpasses Mayweather-Pacquiao, the current best selling PPV of all time.

“It’s tough to say that because even before Mayweather-Pacquiao my prediction was 3-3.5 million buys. I said after the fight that I wasn’t sure that we’d ever see some event in my lifetime to surpass it. Just because it was so big, I hesitate but at the same time, I have trouble thinking of a significant group of people who bought Mayweather-Pacquiao who would then say, ‘No, I’m not gonna buy Mayweather-McGregor,’ and since you are drawing from two distinct fan bases, it might give that record a run for the money.”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I was gonna say one group might be "people who want to watch competitive fights" but as a non boxing person my understanding is Pacqiao was pretty washed by the time they fought so maybe that doesn't matter

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say one group might be "people who want to watch competitive fights" but as a non boxing person my understanding is Pacqiao was pretty washed by the time they fought so maybe that doesn't matter

"People who want to watch competitive fights" is the smallest fight-buying demographic for a big thing like this. That's the hard core. Name recognition, spectacle, anticipation, a story, and tribalist fans who make an event of the event are what sell big fights. Our big PPV sellers in fight sports always have more than one of those things - GSP has Quebec, Pacquiao has the Philippines, and Conor has Ireland. Floyd has spectacle and name recognition, as did Tyson.

The ultra-violence of something like a GGG or a Kovalev fight appeals to the hardcore fans, but that's not what motivates the 3.75 million people who didn't buy Kovalev-Ward but who did buy Floyd-Manny to tune in.

And the hardcore fans will buy anything, so it doesn't really pay for the promoters to appeal to them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FishBowlRobot posted:

IIRC Serra was a very valuable corner to Shonie whenever his fight went to the mat.

The Comeback season was so good. Rich Franklin's awesome advice to Serra, Shonie losing his mind while confined to the house, Serra getting hit with another Shonie spinning back fist but winning and going on to knock out GSP.

Oh, that was not a criticism of either guy, just amusing coaching advice. Serra was the unofficial coach of the Comeback season as you say, and he was also really good as a coach against Matt Hughes.

Matt Serra rules.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Rich Franklin's awesome advice to Serra

My favourite part about this is Cote calling it "lemon advice" and I still occasionally use that phrase.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

DeimosRising posted:

I think that's underrating Pacquiao. He would be the favourite against any welterweight if they fought tomorrow, he just wouldn't finish like he would have a decade ago. The problem is Floyd is really good and some people like to pretend he isn't

vainman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 26, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
pac was definitely on the way down when he fought floyd, he also had a badly injured shoulder. marquez had just knocked him dead too i think

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Floyd in his prime still smokes Manny in his prime.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Manny is more exciting

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JaySB posted:

Floyd in his prime still smokes Manny in his prime.

agreed

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
in their prime they werent in the same class

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

in their prime they werent in the same class

Correct, Manny Pacquiao reads at an 8th grade level while Floyd can't read at all.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i meant weight class!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

1st AD posted:

Correct, Manny Pacquiao reads at an 8th grade level while Floyd can't read at all.

Lol

• Locked thread